coles1's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

12 Messages

Monday, September 30th, 2019 11:00 AM

Closed

Unusually high data usage megathread

Jessie helpfully locked the thread pertaining to this for being "off topic" after merging all relevant threads into the irrelevant terabyte thread.

I thought we should still have a place to discuss this ongoing problem. I took 20 pages of documentation into a store today and was told all they could do was charge me 70 dollars to send out a tech. Out of desperation I conceded.

Any thoughts? Anyone had any resolution yet? Some folks on Twitter seem to have made slight headway and had their accounts credited but aren't sure how to help since they seem to think they just got lucky.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

New Poster

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

Add me to this unfortunate list. Woke up this morning (the 3rd) to a notice that I used ALL my data.
Yeah, no. I have worked 22 of the last 48 hours and this does not include drive time or sleep.
There is absolutely no possible way I have used all my data when in fact you look at the last three months work where I never break 500.
This is BS. No one at Comcast would give us a straight answer. “Change your password”, “use the xFi app (that costs more money)”..... just the same runaround. No guys, tell me why the heck this is happening! Fix my account and give everyone here a reason for your lies!!!!

Frequent Visitor

• 

13 Messages

4 years ago

Its wrong that in November I used 1017 gb when I was in the Hospital the first week of November having major surgery. So if I’m in the hospital for part if the month how did I use 1017gb? My cat doesn’t know how to get on the internet

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

4 years ago

@cs5317 wrote:

I'm experiencing the same issue. According to the data meter, my data usage in December is already up to 135 GB (!) in less than 48 hours. How is this possible, the month has just started and I wasn't even home most of the time? There is clearly something wrong here! 

Apologies for the issue and the experience that you described above.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, there was a known issue that impacted a very small percentage of our customers in the Fall. The referenced Fall 2019 issue impacted about 2,000 customers. To put that in perspective, that's about .008% of our high speed data customers. While unfortunate and certainly not intended, we identified that issue, addressed it and worked to make that right with the customers that were affected.

A cursory review of your account shows steadily increasing data usage from June through November with an average monthly usage of 827 Gb over this period.  

In the interest of the customer experience, I have applied a credit to your account while our team researches your account further. The credit will appear on your next printed statement and you can view the credit online via My Account.

Thanks for your patience.

For all - the link below has some general information on how to avoid overage charges and tips to conserve data usage:
https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/data-usage-avoid-overage-charges

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

4 years ago

@midtenner wrote:
The only way that we were able to get action was to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. As soon as Comcast was notified by BBB about the complaint we received a call from Comcast security, credit was given and case closed.

Glad to hear that your issue was resolved to your satisfaction.  Thanks for your patience. 

To be clear, the credit was issued on your account prior to your BBB compliant being filed.  But glad to hear that all ended up well. 

Frequent Visitor

• 

13 Messages

4 years ago

I agree.... I’m already showing 100gb since the first. There is something wrong and Comcast doesn’t care. They tell us all the same thing yet do nothing! Maybe time fir the BBB and an attorney

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

4 years ago

@JMNR wrote:

I am glad that I was able to find this thread because I thought I was the only one experiencing this issue. A couple of days ago, I logged in to check my data usage and I was surprised to find out that I supposedly, out of nowhere, went way over my limit for August and September. I tend to check my data usage every couple of weeks and I know for a fact that I did not use the amount of data that it shows for those two months. On average I tend to use anywhere between 650-850GBs and I make sure to avoid going over the limit. My data usage can be rather high some months but I am always on top of every single thing that goes on within my network. The last time I went over the limit was back in March of this year and even my notifications say so. If I truly passed the limit on August and September, wouldn't it let me know that I was getting close to the limit? I have notfications turned on. This is why I am 100% sure that I did go over the data limit for those two months. I know I also had one courtesy month left on my account and now it says I have none left, simply because of this issue. I called service and they said that they would open a dispute about this issue and that they would give me a call back in 24-72 hours. This was last Thursday and so far, I have not been called back. I want to know how I can resolve this issue.

Apologies for the issue and the experience that you described above. As mentioned earlier in this thread, there was a known issue that impacted a very small percentage of our customers in the Fall. The referenced Fall 2019 issue impacted about 2,000 customers. To put that in perspective, that's about .008% of our high speed data customers. While unfortunate and certainly not intended, we identified that issue, addressed it and worked to make that right with the customers that were affected. 

A cursory review of your account shows data usage from June through November in a range of 795  to 1175 Gb per month, an average monthly usage of 980 Gb. That shows a fairly consistent  data usage pattern over the past 6 months. 

In the interest of the customer experience, I have applied a credit to your account while our team researches your account further. The credit will appear on your next printed statement and you can view the credit online via My Account.

For all - the link below has some general information on how to avoid overage charges and tips to conserve data usage:

Frequent Visitor

• 

13 Messages

4 years ago

The $10 credit had nothing to do with this issue.
Unfortunately we keep getting the same answer.
We may represent a small percentage of Comcast customers but we are customers nonetheless.
As an fyi... I have changed my password recently....xfi hotspot turned off.....gateway rebooted..... all devices turned off and not connected to the gateway overnight. One TV on during the day.... no computer....no gaming consoles online.,, yet massive amounts of data used.
Went to bed at 85gb.... all devices disconnected..., this morning.....100 gb used.
It would be more understandable if it was just 1-2 customers having this issue, but over 2000 shows it is not the customers it is Comcast and their data usage meters, either that or you have a serious data leak issue. Unfortunately, in some areas, Comcast is the only available provider, so that puts many if us relying on you all to provide good and accurate services allowing customers to use their internet in the normal manner they typically would without the fear if suddenly being close to or over the data cap. If Comcast cannot or will not fix the issue, then do away with the cap or raise the cap.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

4 years ago

@Rturner22131 wrote:
Its wrong that in November I used 1017 gb when I was in the Hospital the first week of November having major surgery. So if I’m in the hospital for part if the month how did I use 1017gb? My cat doesn’t know how to get on the internet

Sorry to hear that you were in the hospital. Hope you are doing better. 

Cats are pretty smart though.  There is a ticket opened on your account for this issue with the right teams based on your call to us last night. That team will review and contact you. 

Our teams see more than a few instances where applications like online drives (iCloud is just one example) syncing constantly and/or "getting stuck" can cause significant data usage.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

4 years ago

@CClexx wrote:
Add me to this unfortunate list. Woke up this morning (the 3rd) to a notice that I used ALL my data.
Yeah, no. I have worked 22 of the last 48 hours and this does not include drive time or sleep.
There is absolutely no possible way I have used all my data when in fact you look at the last three months work where I never break 500.
This is BS. No one at Comcast would give us a straight answer. “Change your password”, “use the xFi app (that costs more money)”..... just the same runaround. No guys, tell me why the heck this is happening! Fix my account and give everyone here a reason for your lies!!!!

Yikes. That is a lot of data in a very short period of time.

Apologies for the issue and the experience that you described above. As mentioned earlier in this thread, there was a known issue that impacted a very small percentage of our customers in the Fall. The referenced Fall 2019 issue impacted about 2,000 customers. To put that in perspective, that's about .008% of our high speed data customers. While unfortunate and certainly not intended, we identified that issue, addressed it and worked to make that right with the customers that were affected.

Also, there is no additional charge to download or use the Xfi App or online: 
https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-xfi-overview

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

4 years ago

@Rturner22131 wrote:
I agree.... I’m already showing 100gb since the first. There is something wrong and Comcast doesn’t care. They tell us all the same thing yet do nothing! Maybe time fir the BBB and an attorney

Apologies. Your account was credited this morning  (within 13 hours of your post) and someone is reviewing your account and will follow up with you directly . Thanks for your continued patience.  

New Poster

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

In a five hour span, where I have been awake for just over two, I have received several emails.
4:58am 90% used. I was asleep.
6:58am 100% used. Still asleep.
9:58am 125% used. I am not gaming, I am not streaming. I am doing nothing besides trying to figure out how your team or your meter or what ever the heck it is is messing everything up so much!!!!!

Also I would like to point out EVERY time I click on the stupid XFi link, it wants me to “upgrade” my service.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

4 years ago

@Rturner22131 wrote:
The $10 credit had nothing to do with this issue.
Unfortunately we keep getting the same answer.
We may represent a small percentage of Comcast customers but we are customers nonetheless.
As an fyi... I have changed my password recently....xfi hotspot turned off.....gateway rebooted..... all devices turned off and not connected to the gateway overnight. One TV on during the day.... no computer....no gaming consoles online.,, yet massive amounts of data used.
Went to bed at 85gb.... all devices disconnected..., this morning.....100 gb used.
It would be more understandable if it was just 1-2 customers having this issue, but over 2000 shows it is not the customers it is Comcast and their data usage meters, either that or you have a serious data leak issue. Unfortunately, in some areas, Comcast is the only available provider, so that puts many if us relying on you all to provide good and accurate services allowing customers to use their internet in the normal manner they typically would without the fear if suddenly being close to or over the data cap. If Comcast cannot or will not fix the issue, then do away with the cap or raise the cap.

A larger credit was applied this morning. 

The earlier referenced issue with the data meter was resolved and corrected. It does not appear that your account was part of that original concern. 

Anyone having a data overage now doesn't appear to be part of the referenced Fall 2019 issue. Most often these are individual issues. 

As mentioned, our team will review and make contact with you.  Thanks for your patience while the team reviews your account. 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

4 years ago

@CClexx wrote:
In a five hour span, where I have been awake for just over two, I have received several emails.
4:58am 90% used. I was asleep.
6:58am 100% used. Still asleep.
9:58am 125% used. I am not gaming, I am not streaming. I am doing nothing besides trying to figure out how your team or your meter or what ever the heck it is is messing everything up so much!!!!!

Apologies, as mentioned earlier today in this thread, someone on our team is looking into your issue.  Thanks for your patience. 

Our teams see more than a few instances where applications like online drives (iCloud is just one example) syncing constantly and/or "getting stuck" can cause significant data usage.

Have you had the opportunity to review the link above?  

Gold Problem Solver

• 

18.9K Messages

4 years ago

@CClexx wrote:
Of course I have looked at your “tips”. They have been shoved ineveryone’ss face on this forum.

I want legit answers. Not this same nonsense you are spouting. I want to know how I jumped 35% in FIVE HOURS. There is no possible way for this to happen.

Thanks for confirming. Much appreciated. Someone is reviewing your account and will be in contact with the primary account holder.  As mentioned,  a courtesy credit has already been issued based on your initial report to us less than three hours ago.  Thanks for your patience while the team reviews. 

New Poster

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

Of course I have looked at your “tips”. They have been shoved in everyone’s face on this forum.

I want legit answers. Not this same nonsense you are spouting. I want to know how I jumped 35% in FIVE HOURS. There is no possible way for this to happen.
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here