W

Thursday, November 2nd, 2023 1:06 AM

Closed

New XB8 Modem/Router - Unable to use WiFi6E/6Ghz

Hello -

I was able to update to an XB8 modem/router about one month ago.  We are an Apple centric household and we have multiple devices in the house that are fully capable of using the 6Ghz signal.  However, the Xfinity router connects them to the 5 GHz band; I have no devices being connected to the 6Ghz signal.  I've reached out to Xfinity Support via chat and was told it will work and that I simply need to enable signal separation via the App.  As per the app, it is not recommended.  Nor does the setting actually activate.  I would also prefer to have the router manage it all, which I understand it is capable of doing.  I have the 1200 Mbps plan.

How can I connect my 6Ghz capable devices to that specific Wifi signal on this new XB8 router?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

11 months ago

Hi there, @WBL_MN thank you so much for your time and patience! You house sounds like mine, my kids are addicted to Apple, lol. I definitley understand your desire on wanting to switch to having 3 different SSIDs by going to the Xfinity app to separate the SSIDs into 3 and then going to the web interface of the gateway to verify the changes are set.-Richard

4 Messages

Thanks for the note, Richard.  Simply as an update, the Xfinity app allows one to think that the bands can be separated, but it won't do it and it has language that it isn't recommended.  It should be as easy as enabling the band separation and choosing 'save' within the app, but that change never goes into effect.  After trying a half dozen times, I've given up.

One other related tidbit on this topic (and you may know this already): Xfinity has removed the ability to manage WiFi settings via the web interface.  There is a succinct little message present when opting to edit each of the bands in the "Gateway > Connection > Status" section that states:

"Wi-Fi Mode, Security Mode, Channel Selection, Channel Mode, and Channel Bandwidth are being managed automatically to help optimize your home Wi-Fi network and improve Wi-Fi coverage. To edit your Wi-Fi Network Name & Network password, please download the Xfinity xFi app or visit xfinity.com/myxfi"

It is a rather laughable scenario overall: a new router capable of a 6Ghz signal, devices capable of that type of connection aren't allowed or able to connect, and taking any action to manually manage the settings that would make said signal available are....verboten.

If you or any of your peers have a trick regarding splitting the bands, I am all ears.   :) 

4 Messages

This knowledge article appears to confirm that an XB8 will not allow manual administration of the WiFi: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/change-wifi-channel-admin-tool

I also note that "XfinityKatie" confirms that newer devices prohibit splitting the bands: https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/your-home-network/split-bands-into-50-and-24-ghz-devices-cannot-find-or-connect-to-the-24-ghz-band/64b438db6059bc2b7f1dc9d1 

How one gets the new routers to allow 6Ghz connection is a definite mystery!

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

Correct, the bands are not able to be separated anymore to optimize your Wi-Fi automatically. At this time the only way to have separate bands and to be able to customize to your liking is to have your own modem. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

4 Messages

@XfinityJanelle  - I appreciate your confirming that the bands cannot be separated; thank you.  It is unfortunate that Xfinity does not allow customers the ability to control the equipment/settings.

Official Employee

• 

2.3K Messages

@WBL_MN you are very welcome and I am happy we could help with your question. I will definitely make sure to submit your feedback. Please feel free to reach out if you need anything else or have any additional questions! 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Contributor

• 

200 Messages

11 months ago

It's actually quite possible the problem is an Apple issue or not actually a problem at all.  On WiFi 6e the maximum speed of 5Ghz and 6GHz is the same. Lower frequencies have better range and wall penetration characteristics, so if you're not getting a bunch of interference from neighbors on 5Ghz it's better than 6GHz unless you have equipment that supports wider channels or more spatial streams on 6Ghz than it does on 5Ghz.  An XB8 doesn't.  4 streams for each and max 160MHz channel width on both 5GHz and 6GHz.  Of course XB8s configure themselves automatically so it's possible you could end up with a 20MHz wide 6GHz channel and a 160Mhz wide 5Ghz channel or the reverse.  Lots of complaints on here about Xfinity gateways behaving stupidly.  The client device decides which WiFi radio to connect to, so Apple is at least partially in the driver's seat here.

What it really boils down to is... how's your internet speed?  Can you get 1200+ on a wired connection using 2.5Gb or faster ethernet?  How does WiFi compare?  Wired tests are very helpful for figuring out where the bottleneck is.

(edited)

Visitor

• 

1 Message

11 months ago

I have the XB8, 1200Mb service with 2.4/5/6Ghz all bound into one SSID.  I also have an iPhone 15 Pro Max and I'm getting 1.39Gb WIRELESS within 6 feet.  (An extra almost 200Mb on the house.)  I also have a M3 Pro MacBook Pro and am also get a shocking 1.432Gb over WiFi when 6 feet away from the XB8.  The Upload speed is surprising as well.  The box below is from the M3 Pro MBP.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here