U

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, July 16th, 2023 6:37 PM

Closed

Split Bands into 5.0 and 2.4 Ghz: Devices Cannot Find or Connect to the 2.4 Ghz Band

I purchased a "smart" device (BirdBuddy birdfeeder) that can only be connected to a 2.4 Ghz network. Per their customer support, I split my network into separate bands (named House for 5.0 and BirdHouse for 2.4) using the Xfinity app. The split seems to have been successful, and both networks appear as options in the Wifi tab of the Xfinity app. 

However, the new 2.4 Ghz band does not show up in the list of available networks, either on the birdfeeder or on our iPhones. When I select "Other Networks" and enter the name and password for BirdHouse, I get a "Could Not Find the Network" message. When I use the "Scan to Connect" QR code for the 2.4 Ghz BirdHouse network on the Xfinity app, I get an "Unable to Join the Network" message. How can I get these devices to find and connect to the 2.4 Ghz band?

Official Employee

• 

1K Messages

1 year ago

Hello @user_e56a99. Please restart your modem and see if that helps. Sometimes a refresh will get everything in working order.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

1 year ago

Thanks for the response. I reset the Gateway modem twice using the Xfinity app, but unfortunately I got the same "Could Not Find the Network" message when I searched for the 2.4 Ghz network in Settings. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help.

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

@user_e56a99 Sorry to hear about the trouble with connecting to the 2.4 network. Here: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/change-wifi-channel-admin-tool is a helpful article to assist. 

(edited)

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

3 Messages

I tried the above solution and I still don't see the two different 5g and 2.4 g networks. How can this situation be resolved?

2 Messages

Hey, just wanted to update. I ran into the same problem, but I think I found a solution. In the Xfinity app under wifi settings, there may be three bands (2.4, 5, and 6.) The 2.4 band showed up when I turned off the 6 band. I am no IT professional, so I may be wrong, but it's likely that the router/modem can only support up to 2 split bands. I hope this helps!

Edit:

The 2.4 band showed up briefly and then disappeared. I'm not sure what happened, but this seemed to fix it briefly. 

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

744 Messages

@user_qfmv0d @user_x73hhz Hello, thank you for sharing your experience and update on this! The ability to separate and connect to multiple channels for your networks is limited to devices that are not using our advanced network options our xFi devices provide. If you are using one of our modems (models XB6 or higher), then it is possible that this is preventing the options from properly displaying as splitting up the networks are restricted with the newer models. Are you looking to separate your networks to connect your devices to a specific band?

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

1 Message

So if you have devices that require physically connecting to a 2.4, what are we supposed to to do? Not having the choice is pretty ridiculous.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here