J

Tuesday, October 1st, 2024 5:54 PM

MB8611 modem disconnects dozens of times a day. Xfinity recommended I replace it. I did, the problem isn't fixed.

Hello,

Here is a timeline of events for this issue:

August 2023: Xfinity service starts at my apartment with an MB8611 modem (which was approved as a third-party modem on Xfinity's list). It runs flawlessly for a year until the week of 8/25/2024.

8/25/2024: My speeds drop to single digits

8/31/2024: A tech comes to my apartment building, changes some wiring, and my speeds are back to normal

9/7/2024: My modem disconnects twice. The power light always remains on, but the downstream, upstream, and connection lights go out for 1 minute, then reconnect.

9/12/2024: By now, the modem disconnects at least 10 times a day. I called Xfinity. They say that the connection is flawless and that it must be a defective modem. I request a tech anyway.

9/14/2024: A tech stands up my appointment

9/15/2024: A tech comes to my apartment. After investigating the wiring, he tells me that it must be a defective modem. I get to researching. I discover that this is a well documented issue with the MB8611 and Xfinity. You can find examples of issues here: 

https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/your-home-network/motorola-mb8611-modem-frequently-loses-connection-to-xfinityreboots-yeah-same-here/63d47bbc8055430082f5d784

https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/your-home-network/frequent-mb8611-disconnects/643205650edf624dbe0a5eb9

https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/your-home-network/motorola-mb8611-dropping-connection-randomly/62b4bc25c1d78836ea3d21fa

https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/your-home-network/mb8611-problems/63bb4b0a86efae732c858f2f

There are numerous other examples of this issue on the Xfinity forum and elsewhere online. I can provide more if you wish. Most of these threads result in the Xfinity employees recommending a new modem be installed.

9/30/2024: I install a brand new, not refurbished, MB8611. Immediately the disconnections continue. It is just as bad as it was with the old modem.

Now that all of the information is out there, let me break down why I'm here. I have talked to several different Xfinity agents, and have jumped through so many hoops, run so many diagnostics, and sent so many modem connection records, but no one has been able to help me.

I work from home, and these minor disconnects are actually major issues and cannot continue. 

As I purchased the MB8611 because it was on the list of home use third-party modems from Xfinity, I refuse to spend my own money on a new modem.

I need my issue to be resolved by 10/31/2024 or I will be ceasing Xfinity service, and getting Verizon FiOS which is readily available in my apartment. However this can be resolved, it needs to happen.

I am willing to cooperate with more diagnostics if need be, although it has led to nothing or substance in the past. I will not be rude or short with any customer service agents or tech agents, but I simply must be firm that I have a true deadline here, as this is impacting my work significantly. If this ticket is closed without a solution, I will instantly transfer to Verizon.

I look forward to hearing from some helpful folks who will truly believe my issues and try to help me. Thank you.

Official Employee

• 

859 Messages

19 days ago

JDE1 Can you please send us a DM. You can start by clicking the chat icon located in the top right corner of your forums' page when signed in. Once there, you can direct your messages to "Xfinity Support." Please add your full name and service address to help us locate your account. Let me know if you have any questions. 

Expert

• 

106.6K Messages

19 days ago

@JDE1 @XfinityBrianH 

Please circle back here and post any possible solutions for the issue here in these open public forums so that all readers here may benefit from the exchange / info. This is in keeping with the spirit for which these public help forums were originally intended. Thank you.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here