S

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

Sunday, January 8th, 2023 11:00 PM

Closed

MB8611 Problems

I have been having frequent disconnects with my MB8611. I have tried everything I can to get this thing to work on Xfinity. It disconnects anywhere from two to ten times a day. Had this at a previous house and removed everything between me and feed from the utility pole, no success. I assumed it was the old feed coming down a long dead end road. I have recently moved to a brand new home with a new service with nothing between the MB8611 and the feed coming from the Xfinity box and the problem persists. I got my hands on an old SB6121 and hooked it up for the past 24+ hours I have had no disconnects which doesn't happen with the MB8611. I would say that this is something definitively wrong with the MB8611. I have read that others have had similar issues with the MB8611. Anyone got advice besides scrap the MB8611?

Contributor

• 

64 Messages

1 year ago

If you want to torture yourself, keep the MB8611 and keep tolerating the disconnects and wait and hope for Comcast to fix the issue or get another brand of modem, not a Motorola, and get your life back. Avoid the Arris SB6190 modem too.

Visitor

• 

10 Messages

@petmitsu​ Put old modem back online.  Returned MB8611 and got my money back.  Problem solved!

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

1 year ago

Hi, @steelesh8114. Thank you for creating a new post to help spark some discussion around your MB8611. Recently, I've noticed more and more post coming in regarding this specific device. They all typically report exactly same issues you did here. Mainly, its constant disconnects (T3 timeouts) while online. I've had customers contact the manufacturer directly, replace cables/hardware, and even have a tech out. In the end, I see most decide to replace the modem with another Xfinity Approved device or move to our Xfinity Gateway. It could certainly help if you could post your event logs here, so we can all take a look and compare. Have you already given them a look? If so, any red flags?

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

@XfinityVianney​ Yes I can confirm that I have been getting frequent T3 timeouts on the MB8611. It is extremely unreliable happening multiple times a day. Given my recent move and the modem being the only piece that made it to a completely new network setup I am confident that this modem does not work on the Xfinity network. I have also seen a few posts in this forum and on Reddit regarding this modem. If there is no fix it should probably be removed from the approved hardware list.

Problem Solver

• 

497 Messages

Thank you for that suggestion. We update the list regularly so we may make that change once we do more investigating. I apologize that you are having these issues. I think replacing it with a different model may e the way to go. 

I no longer work for Comcast.

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

@XfinityVianney​ if I understand other posts on this thread correctly... the issues folks are reporting are the result of Comcast pushing a firmware update to MB8611 modems that has caused them to start malfunctioning?

The MB8611 that has been used to provide service to my house for about 2 years begun to drop its upstream connection near the end of 2022.  It is so bad that we have pleaded with Comcast to send Comcast field technicians to the house.  The technicians have determined that "everything is working fine with your physical connection, it must be something downstream of your modem", but they have never seen the outages occur.  When the connection upstream from the modem is lost, all status lights on the modem turn off except for the power light nearly every time.  Sometimes some or all of the lights stay on during an outage, but those type of outages don't occur as often.  It has now gotten to the point that the internet connection between the Comcast network and the modem is lost multiple times per hour. 

In the past hour alone, the connection has dropped sixteen times. 

I live in a rural area.  There is no reliable cell phone coverage near my house.  My family and I rely on our Comcast internet connection for all home communications.  Phone calls.  Video calls.  Emails.  Text messages.  Streaming television.  Apps.  An Internet connection that drops SIXTEEN TIMES IN AN HOUR is not usable.  With the current state of the Comcast internet connection to my house, the connection cannot be relied on for anything.  There's a difference between outages being annoying and outages becoming a safety issue.  We are well past the point of the frequency and duration of outages being a safety problem.  If I do not have a working Internet connection to my house, the quickest way for me to access the Internet (or to call 911, for example) is to drive about 10 miles from my house so I can hotspot off of my mobile phone.

I need a reliable Internet connection.  How can I achieve a reliable connection to the Internet via the Comcast network?

(I should not have to purchase another modem because Comcast pushed firmware to my modem that made it begin behaving this unreliably...)

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

These are relevant logs from my MB8611.

22:34:28
Sat Jan 21 2023
  Critical (3)   SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=XXXXXXXXXXXX;CMTS-MAC=XXXXXXXXXXXX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
    Time Not Established   Critical (3)   CMSTATUS:US_Diplexer_Mode_Change:Fixed Initial, 5-42MHz.
    Time Not Established   Critical (3)   SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing;;CM-MAC=XXXXXXXXXXXX;CMTS-MAC=00:00:00:00:00:00;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
    Time Not Established   Critical (3)   CMSTATUS:US_Diplexer_Mode_Change:TLV-9, 5-42MHz.
    Time Not Established   Critical (3)   No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=XXXXXXXXXXXX;CMTS-MAC=XXXXXXXXXXXX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
    Time Not Established   Notice (6)   Honoring MDD; IP provisioning mode = IPv6
    Time Not Established   Critical (3)   CMSTATUS:DS_Diplexer_Mode_Change_Ignored:TLV-84.2, 108MHz.
    Time Not Established   Critical (3)   CMSTATUS:DS_Diplexer_Mode_Change_Ignored:TLV-84.3, 1002MHz.
    Time Not Established   Critical (3)   CMSTATUS:US_Diplexer_Mode_Change:TLV-84.1, 5-42MHz.
    00:18:32
Sun Jan 22 2023
  Notice (6)   DS profile assignment change. DS Chan ID: 32; Previous Profile: ; New Profile: 1 2 3.;CM-MAC=XXXXXXXXXXXX;CMTS-MAC=XXXXXXXXXXXX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

Contributor

• 

64 Messages

It seems like Comcast and Motorola have no interest in resolving this issue anytime soon so I would suggest you take matters into your own hands and get another brand and model modem. If you don't want to spend too much, get a refurbished one from ebay. There's a good selection with very affordable prices. I reactivated my old Motorola SB6120 when my MB8611 got bricked due to a firmware they pushed onto it while trying to troubleshoot this issue and it got me through a few days until I was able to get a different modem. So get on ebay!

Problem Solver

• 

948 Messages

1 year ago

@steelesh8114 I use the mb8611 on Comcast with flawless performance, so it does work here…

(edited)

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

@Jlavaseur​ Whats your secret?

Problem Solver

• 

948 Messages

1 year ago

I don’t think there is a secret, but I will tell you this, I was using the new Xb8 for a trial run, performed as expected, anyway I hooked up my mb8611 I had been using, it booted up, all the lights were normal, I thought great I am online, I tried a webpage and got the page that said I had to activate my modem, I thought ok even tho the lights showed I was online, I looked at my routers configuration page and was surprised to see it had a public ip address, very odd, so dropped into a shell and pinged google, I got a response, I was clearly online to some degree, I did a few more commands I definitely online, so not thinking to explore this more I called up tech support to activate my modem, he tells me he can’t see my modem, yet I was clearly online to some degree, I got the usual tighten my connection, do I have a splitter, I was just on the Xb8 with no issues minutes earlier, so he has me reboot the mb8611, then he goes, I see it now but it’s not activated, yet some how I was online to some degree, he activates it and says ok your good, the lights were exactly the same, I don’t know, but I could use webpages now, so to me that was very odd, I probably could of gotten some free internet since they couldn’t see my modem connected to their network, anyway with the problems with the mb8611 on Comcast I decided to call Motorola, mind you not to complain but possibly share some information they may or may not know, so me and extremely knowledgeable rep had better then a hours conversation, we shared a lot information but he was careful not to say anything privileged etc, but I could read between the lines to a certain extent, anyway I an not convinced that it’s just the modems fault, I feel there could possibly be another issue/problem that isn’t being explored, mind you it’s my theory, anyway if you look on the cox Internet forums, folks with the same modem are echoing almost verbatim the same concerns, I find that very odd also, Is the modem actually rebooting/loosening connection? Or just possibly your devices?

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

The modem is rebooting I can see the lights going through their usual dance. I cannot login to the MB8611 admin page through my router and need to plug directly into the modem to access it. That issue is something with the subnet being different than my network.

It could be my router but I doubt it. That is the only thing that also made the move with me. I am currently using an old SB6121 modem on the same setup without issue.

The MB8611 has caused me a years worth of head ache and I am ready to move on. Maybe Starlink is a more reliable option for my needs, I don't think satellites get hit by trees.

Problem Solver

• 

948 Messages

1 year ago

@steelesh8114  I can login to the mb8611 admin page with my iPad, anyway for a test did you try to reboot the modem with nothing attached to it to rule out the router and anything attached to it…

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

1 year ago

return it and get an s33

Visitor

• 

17 Messages

1 year ago

Is s33 confirmed stable? I really don't want to replace a perfectly good modem just because of a network/firmware problem, but if that's what it takes to get back to stability I may have to. What's to stop this issue from cropping up with with the s33?

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

1 year ago

I just hooked up a new CM1000. It has been running with no issues for 24+ hours. The issue is the MB8611. It does not work. 

Visitor

• 

17 Messages

@steelesh8114​ the CM1000 only has a 1Gbs port, right? I bought the MB8611 specifically to get the full 1.2 Gbps speed to my router over the 2.5Gbs link. Comcast lists the Netgear CM2000 for my plan, and it’s quite a bit more expensive than the Motorola MB8611 or the Arris S33.

Visitor

• 

17 Messages

I ended up getting a CM2000. Totally overpriced, but I use a Netgear WiFi router and I like it, so whatever. After a few restarts to get it activated, it's been rock solid for 24+ hours with no errors in the logs. 

Problem Solver

• 

948 Messages

1 year ago

@steelesh8114  well my mb8611 works perfectly, after some research, I am curious where folks have their modems, my is in a room with the temperature under 50 degrees, I am curious if the modems are rebooting because of high cpu temperatures…

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

1 year ago

I finally gave in and switched to an Arris S33 and it’s flawless. No restarts for 3 days now. Motorola still says it’s an ISP issue. I tried THREE MB8611 modems with the same issue on each. Coming from a CM1150 which was flawless, this experience has left me never wanting to purchase a Motorola product again.

Visitor

• 

17 Messages

@cajual​ Thanks for the feedback. Guess I’m going to buy a new modem and hope it doesn’t suffer a similar fate in time. Really annoying since the modem worked fine for months, still works fine for some customers, is listed as compatible by Comcast, and is advertised as such by Motorola. Hard to not see this as a way for Comcast to force customers into renting their equipment.

(edited)

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

@cajual​ agree same here, I tried the replacement modem (MB8611) that motorola support sent me and I had the same exact problem (intermittent resets). Switched back to my older DOCSIS 3.0 modem and things are stable. Comcast Docsis3.1 with Motorola mb8611 has BIG problem and none of these companies want to fix this problem. Pathetic.

Visitor

• 

44 Messages

1 year ago

Hmmm - I am new here & are also wary that the MB8611 is the culprit.

I have been getting intermittent drop outs more frequently the last month also.

1 tech has come out but couldn't find anything & he is calling another for next week.

I would bet that it's a configuration issue between the Motorola & the Comcast network guys & not a faulty MB8611.

(edited)

Visitor

• 

14 Messages

1 year ago

Every time Xfinity forces software update 21.3.7 the modem will disconnect every 1 hr, until the modem reverts back to software version 19.2.20 . When the Modem is on software version 19.2.20 it has zero disconnects..... Stop Forcing 21.3.7 until you figure this out. Thank you

Visitor

• 

1 Message

@user_8936c5​ Yes.  I have been using my MB8611 for a few years without much problem, but I start having intermittent connection issue since a few weeks ago.  I find the version of firmware is 21.3.7 so I bet they pushed out the update recently in my area. Not sure how to fix it. 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

1 year ago

Is there a way to lock the firmware at 19.2.20? Or is Comcast just going to run it over with the faulty 21.3.7 firmware.

Visitor

• 

17 Messages

@Oregon_Trail​ The latter. Even if you could find a way to reload the previous firmware, it would upload the new firmware when it reconnects to the network. DOCSIS modems are designed to be managed by the CMTS. The same modem might use different firmware on different networks, or even different segments of the same network. They could probably even control it by speed tier if they wanted to.

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

1 year ago

Just raising my hand as another user who couldn't stand the constant disconnects with MB9611 and had to replace it.  I'm now using a NETGEAR Nighthawk Cable Modem CM1200 and it's working very well - no interruptions!

Visitor

• 

1 Message

1 year ago

I bought a MB8611 modem and a Nighthawk RAX30 router last June, upgrade my service speed. it worked fine until the Christmas time. I have been suffering the frequent disconnects and trying to understand what the problem is. MB8611 keeps rebooting by itself.

an Xfinity technician came to my home, he tested MB8611 with his equipment, the modem didn't reboot. when he tested MB8611 along with Nighthawk router, he sees frequent reboot. He told me it might be the firmware update on my router cause the issue. I tried to rollback the older version firmware on my router, problem continues, no improvement.

How do I determine it's the modem issue or router issue? If I go for overpriced CM2000, will it be solid? I bought MB8611 just a little bit 6 months ago, xfinity representative recommended the brand and model, because I initially bought an arris, I suffered so much had to return it. Is it possible to find the performance list anywhere on xfinity website for all the supported modems?

any suggestion?

Visitor

• 

44 Messages

@user_94482a​   Which Arris did you have before?

Moto up to this point have had a great reputation.  I don't think they just fell off the face of the earth performance wise.

That said, this is a big boy issue that they need to resolve with Xfinity.

I just bought a Arris S33 to replace my 8611.  No problems so far 3 days on.

Visitor

• 

17 Messages

@user_94482a​ I'm in the same boat. Motorola MB8611 modem and Netgear Orbi RBR850 WiFi router purchased last March to take advantage of the new speed tier. Worked perfectly until about a month ago. No major changes to anything on my network. Comcast technician came out and validated all the connections. I think it is highly unlikely that this is an issue with LAN side equipment. I'm very confident that you'll be able to experience the issue with a computer connected directly to the modem to rule out the router. I couldn't continue to deal with the frequent disconnects, so I ended up getting a Netgear CM2000 modem thinking it might at least rule out future incompatibility. It's been rock solid for 4 days, but no faster than the MB8611.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here