U

Contributor

• 

45 Messages

Saturday, December 31st, 2022 5:47 PM

Closed

Motorola MB8611 - Internet dropping/reboot - SYNC Timing Synchronization failure and No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

Solved: I switched to Arris S33 and so far no issues with service or reboots. Still get occasional "RNG-RSP CCAP Commanded Power in Excess of 6 dB Below the Value Corresponding to the Top of the DRW. Dynamic Range Window violation" messages in the logs but modem keeps working.

Update: Support has confirmed that this is Motorola software related issue - "In regard to the internet issue, there is a known issue with the specific modem you have, and until the firmware issue from Motorola is addressed, you may experience issues with the service."

I'm having the same SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing / No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out issue as many of the others reported on this forum.

This is very frustrating as my internet drops 3-4 times per day in the same time windows: between 11am and noon, around 3pm, around 6pm and sometimes around 11pm. It's almost like there is a pattern.

Motorola support tells me that this is a cable's provider issue and Xfinity support tells me (after modem is rebooted of course) there is nothing wrong with my line! This is beyond frustration as my work requires fast and stable internet and unfortunately Xfinity is the only provider in the area who has it (fast but not stable!).

My setup:

Cable length: ~130 feet. This consists of 30 feet of underground RG11 from the street box to the box on the side of the house and 100 feet of RG6 from the house box to cable modem (brand new, just replaced). No any connectors or splitters on the line, so this is not a cable issue on my property).
Modem: Motorola MB8611, software version 8611-21.3.7

WiFi router: ASUS AC1900 (RT-AC68U)

Here is the event log after the SYNC Timing Synchronization failure

Connection settings before the failure:

Connection settings after the failure:

Contributor

• 

45 Messages

1 year ago

Update: uptime is now 1 day 16 hours. One thing that I recall I did on Saturday is tightened both RG11 and RG6 cables on a coupler inside demarc box. I did have one reboot that night but after that things are stable so far.

My upstream power indeed fluctuates. Before noon it was 38 dB now it is 45 dB and yesterday it was 47 dB. That fluctuation corresponds with new event log messages "RNG-RSP CCAP Commanded Power in Excess of 6 dB Below the Value Corresponding to the Top of the DRW". According to the author of this article https://www.duckware.com/tech/solving-intermittent-cable-modem-issues.html this may indicate a lose connector somewhere on the line. The only place left to inspect is the cable box on the sidewalk near my house from where RG11 originates. I will also be adding this ground block / surge protector https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016AIYU6 

(edited)

Contributor

• 

72 Messages

1 year ago

The only place left to inspect is the cable box on the sidewalk near my house from where RG11 originates. I will also be adding this ground block / surge protectorhttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016AIYU6

There should already be one outside your house with a wire leading to an earth ground (i.e., a long metal rod inserted into the ground). That's what the screw is for. If you don't have one, Xfinity should install one for free. My installation is new, and I have one. 

The green wire goes to a rod buried in the ground. As my house was once hit by lightning, I don't think this is optional.

Contributor

• 

45 Messages

@NoGoodNamesLeft4Me​ No, Xfinity tech that was originally installing cable did a very [Edited: "Language"] job. He was in a hurry and did not install anything (no ground box, no ground wire, even RG11 cable left hanging in the demarc box instead of guiding it through the hole on the bottom, so demarc box door wouldn't even properly close.). I do not trust those techs anymore and will be installing everything by myself.

(edited)

Contributor

• 

45 Messages

1 year ago

Update: My MB8611 has been up 5 days 8 hours. I checked the cable box on the sidewalk near my house and I was shocked - bunch of roots, dirt and dead roaches inside. I couldn't even see where is my cable. I guess will need Xfinity tech to come and clean that. I will be adding ground block/surge protector this afternoon since my line was not grounded nor protected by Xfinity.

Contributor

• 

10 Messages

1 year ago

Hello All,

I'm still having the same exact issue with the MB8611 and Comcast. The T3 timeouts have been really bad the past couple of days, at least 10x each day. This issue has been happening on/off for almost 3 weeks. I've had a tech visit but that did not fix the issue. I've chatted with tech support but that did not fix the issue. It is awfully strange that so many people are experiencing this and there is no comment from official Comcast people telling us they are investigating. Everyone seems to get the run-around with this. This is a "Comcast approved" modem and it doesn't seem to be working so well. Perhaps this is the strongarm to get everyone to rent their Xfinity gateway. 

I work from home and getting disconnected a couple of times per hour is unacceptable. I can't wait to get out of contract time so I can get a different provider who can provide reliable service. I have never had this many problems with internet in my life. 

Over it.

Contributor

• 

45 Messages

@user_be3ca5​ So far this was very helpful for me. I replaced cable and inspected/tightened connectors https://www.duckware.com/tech/solving-intermittent-cable-modem-issues.html

Official Employee

• 

842 Messages

@user_be3ca5 ,  There can be a number of different reasons for having the timeouts you seem to be experiencing, and I will be happy to take a look at all this with you. Will you please send our team a direct message with your full name and full address?
~~~~
To send a "Direct Message" message:
• Click "Sign In" if necessary
• Click the "Direct Message" icon
• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line
• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
• Press Enter to send it

I no longer work for Comcast.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

1 Message

1 year ago

I have a MB8600 and for the past 2 months I have been having a ton of issues like many here. Everything used to be great but at this point the amount of drop outs is crazy. I can't even watch Youtube TV because all it does is buffer works for 1 min and then buffers another 20 seconds. 

I do a speed test and I am seeing 200+mbs but having almost zero upload bandwidth. I have been on hold and with phone support 3 times and had one tech come to the house. They are sending another tech in a couple days. Any suggestions? 

(Cross posted)

Contributor

• 

68 Messages

@user_308158​ suggestion is to rent a modem from them or take your chances with another modem. Xfinity isn’t saying anything about losing support for its approved modems. It’s a problem they have to fix that no tech can help you with. I’ve chosen to rent for two months until they fix this issue (you should argue with them until they take the rental fee off your account for that period) and then I will be happily switching back to my own modem to avoid the stupid rental fee

Contributor

• 

367 Messages

@user_308158 Hello Good Day, thank you for reaching out to us through our Xfinity Forums Community, and thank you for your patience while awaiting our response. I understand that you've been experiencing some issues with your internet. You stated you have tech appointment coming up. I'm glad to hear this. Our technicians do an amazing job analyzing and bring resolution. I'm happy to follow after this appointment to make sure you are taken care of. Could you please send our team a direct message with your full name and full address? 

To send a "Direct Message" to Xfinity Support:

Click "Sign In" if necessary

Click the "Direct Messaging" icon or  https://comca.st/3EqVMu7

Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Xfinity Support" there

- As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list

- An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line

Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

Press Enter to send it

See  https://comca.st/3KQF8q9 for an example.

Contributor

• 

45 Messages

1 year ago

After 5 days 12 hours of enjoying a stable internet my luck has ran out. Modem is dropping internet and rebooting multiple times per day. SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing errors again flooding my event log. I tend to believe this is not modem issue but a service / line issue. 

If I can get a rental modem from Xfinity that would be great but to pay additional $14/month that's just not going to cut it.

I also ordered PPC FPA6-54 in-Line Forward Path Attenuator 6dB 75 Ohms. Will install this afternoon and see if that will do any good. 

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

2.2K Messages

@user_fd33c8 I'm sorry to hear that you are still running into issues with your services. I would be happy to take a look at the account with you to see if we might be able to offset the cost of an Xfinity rental modem. Please send us a DM to Xfinity Support to get started with your full name and address.

To send a direct message: 

Ensure you are first signed in, then you will see a chat box icon at the top right of your page. Click that or follow this link here: https://forums.xfinity.com/direct-messaging
From there, click the 'New Message' icon. In the 'To' field, type 'Xfinity Support'.
Type your message in the text area that appears at the bottom of the window and hit enter to send. An official employee, such as myself or whoever is first available, will respond. 
To expedite your request, we ask that you please include your name, the account holder name (if different), and the service address alongside a detailed summary of your request/question. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Contributor

• 

45 Messages

@XfinityBillie​ That would be great if possible! 

Contributor

• 

45 Messages

@user_fd33c8​ Not sure who I was chatting with on DM, but I was told that rental modem will cost me additional $14/month. I thought this is about offsetting the cost...

Contributor

• 

45 Messages

1 year ago

Interesting. Adding PPC FPA6-54 in-Line Forward Path Attenuator did decrease downstream power (now it's between 0.1 to -0.7) but upstream power almost did not change. It went up about 1dB (38-39dB as compared to 37-38dB before). Rebooted modem and cleared event log. Will see what's going to happen...

Contributor

• 

45 Messages

1 year ago

Update: PPC FPA6-54 in-Line Forward Path Attenuator did not help. Two modem reboots last night and one this morning.

Contributor

• 

64 Messages

@user_fd33c8​ Stop wasting your time. The problem on Comcast's and Motorola's end. The two need to figure out the bugs with the firmware. Either get a different modem or keep tolerating disconnects. 

Contributor

• 

45 Messages

1 year ago

Update: back to 3-4 reboots per day plus 2 reboots every night according to event log. 

Visitor

• 

17 Messages

1 year ago

Just stumbled across this forum. Having a similar issue with my MB8611 (if not identical - haven't compared exact log messages...). My home is 5 years old on a brand new street. Comcast infrastructure at the street is about 7 years old. Line to my house is 5 years old. Everything is buried in conduit. Less than 6 feet of cable from the ground coupler outside to the cable modem inside. All connections wrench tight. Modem is new as of last March. Everything has been perfect until mid December when we started noticing the modem reconnecting unexpectedly. Lately it seems more frequent - at least at more inconvenient times. My wife and I both work from home and there's a good chance one of us is on a video conference at any given time during business hours, so it's very noticeable. Finally reported to Comcast yesterday and they got a tech out within a few hours, which was fantastic! He confirmed that everything in the house was fine (while simultaneously stressing that it could be my router, wifi, laptop, etc. - despite the fact that it's obviously the modem reconnecting). He did a line test and everything reports good. He checked everything on the outside of my house and the connection at the street and everything good there as well. Had several reconnects since he left. He said he would escalate to a line tech, but no idea when that will happen or if I will find out about it.

I don't want to replace a perfectly good modem, but I also can't keep losing internet in the middle of the work day and I really don't want to rent from Comcast. Does anyone know if there is commercially available DOCSIS 3.1 option that doesn't exhibit this problem on Comcast's network?

(edited)

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

1 year ago

I also have a Motorola Modem, MB8611 and have internet drops as well. I had a service technician out yesterday and said everything was good up until the modem.

Time 

Priority 

Description 

Time Not Established

Critical (3)

CMSTATUS:US_Diplexer_Mode_Change:Fixed Initial, 5-42MHz.

Time Not Established

Critical (3)

SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing;;CM-MAC=;CMTS-MAC=;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

Time Not Established

Critical (3)

CMSTATUS:DS_Diplexer_Mode_Change_Ignored:TLV-21.2, 258MHz.

Time Not Established

Critical (3)

CMSTATUS:DS_Diplexer_Mode_Change_Ignored:TLV-21.3, 1002MHz.

Time Not Established

Critical (3)

CMSTATUS:US_Diplexer_Mode_Change:TLV-21.1, 5-42MHz.

Time Not Established

Critical (3)

CMSTATUS:DS_Diplexer_Mode_Change_Ignored:TLV-84.2, 108MHz.

Time Not Established

Critical (3)

CMSTATUS:DS_Diplexer_Mode_Change_Ignored:TLV-84.3, 1002MHz.

Time Not Established

Critical (3)

CMSTATUS:US_Diplexer_Mode_Change:TLV-84.1, 5-42MHz.

12:49:22
Fri Jan 13 2023

Critical (3)

Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=;CMTS-MAC=;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

Time Not Established

Critical (3)

CMSTATUS:US_Diplexer_Mode_Change:Fixed Initial, 5-42MHz.

Time Not Established

Critical (3)

SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing;;CM-MAC=;CMTS-MAC=;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

Time Not Established

Critical (3)

CMSTATUS:DS_Diplexer_Mode_Change_Ignored:TLV-21.2, 258MHz.

Time Not Established

Critical (3)

CMSTATUS:DS_Diplexer_Mode_Change_Ignored:TLV-21.3, 1002MHz.

Time Not Established

Critical (3)

CMSTATUS:US_Diplexer_Mode_Change:TLV-21.1, 5-42MHz.

Time Not Established

Notice (6)

Honoring MDD; IP provisioning mode = IPv6

Time Not Established

Critical (3)

CMSTATUS:DS_Diplexer_Mode_Change_Ignored:TLV-84.2, 108MHz.

Time Not Established

Critical (3)

CMSTATUS:DS_Diplexer_Mode_Change_Ignored:TLV-84.3, 1002MHz.

Time Not Established

Critical (3)

CMSTATUS:US_Diplexer_Mode_Change:TLV-84.1, 5-42MHz.

14:48:21
Fri Jan 13 2023

Notice (6)

DS profile assignment change. DS Chan ID: 32; Previous Profile: ; New Profile: 1 2 3.;CM-MAC=;CMTS-MAC=;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

14:48:27
Fri Jan 13 2023

Warning (5)

REG-RSP-MP Mismatch Between Calculated Value for P1.6hi Compared to CCAP Provided Value;CM-MAC=;CMTS-MAC=;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

14:48:28
Fri Jan 13 2023

Warning (5)

RNG-RSP CCAP Commanded Power Exceeds Value Corresponding to the Top of the DRW;CM-MAC=;CMTS-MAC=;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

14:48:28
Fri Jan 13 2023

Warning (5)

Dynamic Range Window violation

Downstream Bonded Channels  

Channel Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Freq. (MHz) Pwr (dBmV) SNR (dB) Corrected Uncorrected
   1 Locked QAM256 13 477.0 2.8 41.3 0 0
   2 Locked QAM256 1 393.0 2.3 41.3 0 0
   3 Locked QAM256 2 399.0 2.5 41.3 0 0
   4 Locked QAM256 3 405.0 2.5 41.4 0 0
   5 Locked QAM256 4 411.0 2.4 41.3 0 0
   6 Locked QAM256 5 417.0 2.5 41.4 0 0
   7 Locked QAM256 6 423.0 2.5 41.4 0 0
   8 Locked QAM256 7 429.0 2.4 41.2 0 0
   9 Locked QAM256 8 435.0 2.5 41.3 0 0
   10 Locked QAM256 9 453.0 2.5 41.4 0 0
   11 Locked QAM256 10 459.0 2.5 41.3 0 0
   12 Locked QAM256 11 465.0 2.5 41.3 0 0
   13 Locked QAM256 12 471.0 2.6 41.4 0 0
   14 Locked QAM256 14 483.0 2.8 41.3 0 0
   15 Locked QAM256 15 489.0 2.9 41.2 0 0
   16 Locked QAM256 16 495.0 2.8 41.3 0 0
   17 Locked QAM256 17 507.0 2.5 41.1 0 0
   18 Locked QAM256 18 513.0 2.4 41.0 0 0
   19 Locked QAM256 19 519.0 2.2 40.9 0 0
   20 Locked QAM256 20 525.0 2.2 40.9 0 0
   21 Locked QAM256 21 531.0 2.3 40.9 0 0
   22 Locked QAM256 22 537.0 2.4 40.8 0 0
   23 Locked QAM256 23 543.0 2.5 40.6 0 0
   24 Locked QAM256 24 549.0 2.8 40.7 0 0
   25 Locked QAM256 25 555.0 3.1 40.7 0 0
   26 Locked QAM256 26 561.0 3.2 40.8 0 0
   27 Locked QAM256 27 567.0 3.4 40.8 0 0
   28 Locked QAM256 28 573.0 3.6 40.7 0 0
   29 Locked QAM256 29 579.0 3.5 40.8 0 0
   30 Locked QAM256 30 585.0 3.6 40.7 0 0
   31 Locked QAM256 31 591.0 3.7 40.7 0 0
   32 Locked QAM256 32 597.0 4.0 40.8 0 0
   33 Locked OFDM PLC 159 678.0 6.5 41.7 181193252 0

Upstream Bonded Channels  

Channel Lock Status Channel Type Channel ID Symb. Rate (Ksym/sec) Freq. (MHz) Pwr (dBmV)
   1 Locked SC-QAM 2 5120 16.4 44.8
   2 Locked SC-QAM 3 5120 22.8 45.3
   3 Locked SC-QAM 4 5120 29.2 45.8
   4 Locked SC-QAM 5 5120 35.6 46.3
   5 Locked SC-QAM 6 2560 40.4 45.3

Problem Solver

• 

385 Messages

Thank you for bringing your concern to our team here on our Community Forums page @maloney40.

Our team is here to help, if you still need assistance. Please submit a new post so our team can properly help you. We appreciate you following our guidelines.

Visitor

• 

10 Messages

1 year ago

I see your update.  Since Xfinity/Motorola don't seem to be in a rush to fix the problem and I'm within 90 days of purchasing the modem; I'm returning my modem for a refund.

I have my old modem back online since about 2PM yesterday and thus far I've had no problems.

(edited)

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

I'm having the same issue, same modem. Looks like I'll be returning it and getting another brand.

Contributor

• 

340 Messages

Hello @user_154ec5 I'd like the opportunity to see if this can be fixed remotely before you swap out your modem. Can you please send us a DM with your full name and address? 

To send a "Direct Message" message:
• Click "Sign In" if necessary
• Click the "Direct Message" icon
• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line
• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
• Press Enter to send it

Visitor

• 

44 Messages

1 year ago

Mine has been acting up since 9.45 this AM for "No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out"

13x since original log was issued below.

But not actual 13x drop outs - but effectively 1 drop per 1. 5 hours now (mini buffering & internet outages)  since this report was logged @ 9.45 AM.

(edited)

Contributor

• 

45 Messages

1 year ago

Update: Started to get 5-6 drops and reboots per day. Super annoying. Can't wait till my contract is done.

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

1 year ago

Just to update - I returned my Motorola and got the latest Arris.  After Xfinity reprovisioned it for me, everything works as it should now - and it is very, very fast.  I've always liked Motorola, so this was disappointing. But, I can't complain about the speed and reliability now.

Contributor

• 

45 Messages

@RobinData​ My Motorola worked flawlessly for about 3 months since the original provisioning by Xfinity. Than software update happens and boom. Btw, what Arris model did you get? I see many Arris users report the same issue on this forum.

Official Employee

• 

618 Messages

@user_fd33c8

Thanks for reaching out. We've made recent increases to our speeds that may have affected your modem's bootfile. Let's take a look at your account together and take a further look. 

To send a direct message [private message]:

•    Click "Sign In" if necessary
  •    Click the "Direct Message" icon or https://forums.xfinity.com/direct-messaging
  •    Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
  •    The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Xfinity Support" there.
  •    - As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list.
  •    - An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line.
  •    Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
  •    Press Enter to send it

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here