P

Visitor

• 

19 Messages

Sunday, April 9th, 2023 12:23 AM

Closed

Frequent mb8611 disconnects...

COMCAST, don't "close" this thread like you've closed all the others.  There are dozens of threads on this forum regarding this modem, and its firmware, and the frequent reboots.  NONE of them is resolved !  If they were actually resolved, you wouldn't consistently be getting more of these messages, literally every day.

Bottom-line, the combination of the Comcast Service + the MB8611 modem + the firmware doesn't work.  In some cases, reboots are only once every few days, in other cases, reboots happen 5-15 times every hour!  This is EGGREGIOUS !!

Either Motorola or Comcast (whoever owns the firmware) NEEDS TO FIX THIS !!!

I am a professional Software Engineering Manager, working from home.  I am in meetings all day long.  A few days ago, my modem decided to reboot during 5 different meetings in a single day!  This is unacceptable.  Comcast, fix this!

As far as I am concerned, if I was in charge of installing my own firmware, the issue would be solidly on Motorola.  However, because Comcast maintains the firmware, I believe it's up to Comcast to fix this.

When I first got onto Comcast network with this modem, everything was fine for several months (no reboots).  But then, about 6-8 weeks ago, Comcast updated my firmware, and BOOM ...constant reboots!

I even called Comcast, and they told me to get updated firmware from Motorola!  Um, Motorola doesn't give the firmware directly to customers.  And even if they did, Comcast would just wipe it out as they keep updating the firmware to whatever version they want.  I must admit, that was a really frustrating support call.

I have since gotten Comcast to downgrade my firmware to 19.2.18.  My modem still reboots, but WAY WAY WAY less than when it was on 20.3.x.  I don't know how I got them to do it, but I'm glad they finally downgraded it.

Bottom-line, Comcast, please don't close this ticket until you've figured out this mess, created a good firmware that resolves the reboot issues, and updated all connected modems so this doesn't occur to any of your customers ever again. 

Until then, please let people keep adding their complaints.  It's important that YOU LOOK BAD UNTIL THIS IS FIXED !!!

Problem Solver

• 

411 Messages

2 years ago

I'm truly sorry to hear this has been your experience, and I'd like to help you with troubleshooting. In order to do so though, I'll need to have access to your account. Can you please send a direct message addressed to "xfinity support'?

Visitor

• 

19 Messages

@XfinityKyla​ Please be more specific than "xfinity support".  Exactly what email address do you want me to send the DM to?

Or did you mean something else such as "Chat with XFinity,"  Messenger, Twitter, Reddit, etc ...available from your https://www.xfinity.com/support/contact-us site?

Official Employee

• 

618 Messages

Sure thing! 

To send a direct message [private message]:

•    Click "Sign In" if necessary
  •    Click the "Direct Message" icon or https://forums.xfinity.com/direct-messaging
  •    Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
  •    The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Xfinity Support" there.
  •    - As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list.
  •    - An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line.
  •    Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
  •    Press Enter to send it

I no longer work for Comcast.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

19 Messages

Done.

The reason I am reaching out again is because TODAY you re-installed the 20.3.7 firmware.  And I am once again rebooting constantly (6 times in 1 hour).

Gratefully, 2 weeks ago, you downgraded me to 19.2.x ...and I've been happy for the last 2 weeks ...until today.  BOOM !!!

Please fix this!

Visitor

• 

19 Messages

It is now at 8 times ...2 more in the last 5 minutes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Visitor

• 

19 Messages

The worst part of all this is your support operators keep saying Comcast doesn't deal with the firmware!  That's nonsense!!  Motorola has 0 access to my modem ...only YOU do.  And I assure you, I didn't upgrade it myself.

Please tell your operators how firmware actually works at Comcast.

Contributor

• 

72 Messages

2 years ago

You might want to consider switching to another modem like the Arris SB33. That would eliminate the MB8611 as the issue. (It likely is, but having a backup modem isn't a bad idea anyway.) That has helped others. If your MB8611 is still in warranty, you could exchange it to see if a replacement fixes the problem. That has also helped others. 

I got an MB8611 in December, 2022 along with new service. It had firmware version 19.2.20 when I got it. I had no problems. The firmware was upgraded to 21.3.7 in January, 2023. I still had no problems. In March, it was downgraded to 19.2.18. Again, I am not having any problems. I think there might be a bad batch of modems out there and I got lucky. Others .. not so much.

Visitor

• 

19 Messages

2 years ago

Comcast did this intentionally TODAY...

https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/your-home-network/frequent-mb8611-disconnects/643205650edf624dbe0a5eb9

Look especially at the "View other replies" link at the bottom to see what Motorola has to say about it !!!

Visitor

• 

19 Messages

@pahcman​ Comcast at its best ...trying to sweep its problems under the rug away from the customers looking on the forums!

Bad on you, Comcast !!!

You should have left it as its own thread!!!

Visitor

• 

19 Messages

2 years ago

Comcast did this intentionally TODAY...

Go to the search box at the top of this page, then look for:    643205650edf624dbe0a5eb9

Look especially at the "View other replies" link at the bottom to see what Motorola has to say about it !!!

Note: This comment was created from a merged conversation originally titled EVERYONE ...search for: 643205650edf624dbe0a5eb9

Visitor

• 

19 Messages

@pahcman​ Wow, Comcast ...you are VERY diligent at quickly removing these types of messages.  Don't let anybody see...

They actually had to do some pretty serious research to figure out how to merge (um, hide) this message with this larger thread!

Very skilled, Comcast ...at least at this thing!

Visitor

• 

19 Messages

2 years ago

Today, Comcast again upgraded my modem's firmware to 21.3.7.  And again, my modem has been rebooting all day long (at least 5 or 6 times so far).

And again, Motorola support reports their support lines are flooded with angry customers.

But the problem is Comcast's.  Comcast owns the firmware and the distribution of the firmware.  Motorola execs have told them repeatedly to downgrade their customers to a more stable version.

Every time this happens, it takes me several hours to get them to downgrade my firmware.  It stays -- blissfully -- that way for 1 to several weeks.  Then Comcast decides to "upgrade" me once again, and we start the cycle over again.

I have to assume Comcast is not doing this intentionally.  IOW, humans are doing the downgrade (thank you, humans).  But then, I suppose some automated system does the "upgrade" once again, and breaks everything.

The part that's unforgivable here is that this has been going on for the better part of 6 months now, repeatedly.  The fact that Comcast doesn't prevent this is horrible.

1000's of their customers are suffering (see the comments from the Motorola reps above), but Comcast repeatedly makes the same mistakes again and again and again.

COMCAST, FIX THIS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...and quit making your customers suffer !!

Visitor

• 

19 Messages

2 years ago

Like many of you, my MB8611 keeps rebooting.  And although they keep downgrading my firmware, it only last a few weeks before we do it all again.

Why am I posting a repeat issue ...just thought you'd like to see the chat I had today with Motorola's tech support on this issue:

From Brandon A at Motorola Mentor:

========================

I understand your frustration. This was an update they randomly decided to push a few months back and it caused a massive number of problems, this same exact problem you're experiencing, with all of our 8611 devices on their network.

They handle all of the firmware and had told us they were downgrading all of their devices back to a more stabel version, 19.2.xx.

I'm not sure why they keep reverting reverting your device to an unstable version knowing that firmware doesn't work.

I'm not sure why they keep telling you to contact us knowing it is something only they handle, but I hear that almost 50 times daily.

With your device on that firmware, it's going to constantly restart and have those issues. Unfortunately, this is only a problem they can handle as we don't deal with firmware at all, and know the cause of this is that firmware.

There's no reason for them to be constantly upgrading you to an unstable version. At this point it sounds like they are knowingly upgrading you to that version on purpose, as I couldn't think of any reason to keep upgrading you to an unstable version.

========================

Yeah, it's been something they've known for quite a long time. Our managment had to sit down with theirs to inform them this change had to be fixed, which is why the reversion started in the first place.

They informed us they reverted all of those devices, but for some reason it seems like they keep updating yours for whatever reason.

I agree the customer is losing, but the fault falls entirely on Comcast and it's not something they'll admit on a support level, or any level at all for that matter.

We've replaced thousands of 8611's with this same issue only for the same exact thing to happen when that new device arrived.

=====================

...as soon as that new version was pushed our support line was swamped with 8611 tickets.

As for the newer firmware versions, we don't deal with the firmware at all. It's all passed through that coaxial line by your service provider. You can find more information on the page below regarding that.  How do I update the modem firmware? – Motorola Mentor (motorolanetwork.com) (https://help.motorolanetwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/216091737-How-do-I-update-the-modem-firmware-)

=====================

COMCAST ...ARE YOU LISTENING !??!

FIX THIS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Note: This comment was created from a merged conversation originally titled MB8611 keeps rebooting...
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here