P

Visitor

• 

10 Messages

Wednesday, August 25th, 2021 10:34 PM

Closed

1 GB plan very slow

I upgraded to the 1 GB plan a while ago but I've never gotten above 300 BG download. The average for the past seven days is just under 97 GBs (as tested with speedtest-cli every 15 minutes).

The tests are run over ethernet, not wireless. It's wires all the way. When I run the test from the gateway itself which is directly plugged into the cable modem I see the same results. I also see the same results when using the Xfinity speed test website.
The upload speeds are where I expect but the download is < 10% of what we should be getting on this plan. 
I'm running with a Netgear CM1200 cable modem. My firewall is connected with two 1 Gig ethernet using LAGG.
27 out of 32 downstream channels are locked with power between 3.1 and -0.1.  The SNR for all the locked channels are between 34.2 and 40.9 with most within .5 of 40 dB.
4 out of 8 upstream channels are locked with Power within .5 of 55 dBmV which is admittedly a little high but within the acceptable ranges I've seen published. 
I've not noticed the internet connection becoming interrupted or anything like that. It's just usually 1/10th what I'm paying for. 
I'm happy to provide any additional information.

Accepted Solution

Visitor

• 

10 Messages

3 years ago

I'd like to report the final resolution. A tech came out today and we narrowed the problem down to the use of a P59 copper shielded cable between the garage and my office. So I've set up a temporary configuration with the cable modem in the garage. Bypassing that old and too small cable is giving me 1300+ Mbps downloads and 40 Mbps uploads from my gateway. Of course in this configuration that means everything is connected wirelessly which is less than ideal but still better than the 5 Mbps I've been getting all week. This will do until I can get an electrician out to run a new coax to my office.

Thanks for all the help and advice.

Official Employee

• 

915 Messages

3 years ago

@paperrhino Thank you for your post! I would like to look over your signal from our end to see if we can spot anything out of the ordinary. Can I get you to go into Direct Messaging (little chat icon) and compose a new message to "Xfinity Support" with your full name and address? 

Expert

• 

106.3K Messages

3 years ago

@paperrhino 

The upstream power is too high / out of spec. Some of the downstream channels are borked / not locking as well.  That can cause random disconnects, spontaneous re-booting of the modem, speed, packet loss, latency problems, and the un-bonding of channels.

In an effort to try to obtain better connectivity / more wiggle room, check to see if there are there any excess/unneeded coax cable splitters in the line leading to the modem that can be eliminated/re-configured. Any splitters that remain should be high quality and cable rated for 5-1000 MHz, bi-directional, and no gold colored garbage from Radio Shack, Home Depot, Target, etc. Splitters should be swapped with known to be good / new ones to test.

Also check the coax cable for any damage such as cuts, nicks, kinks, sharp bends, etc.

If there aren't any unneeded splitters that can be eliminated and if your coax wiring setup can't be reconfigured so that there is a single two-way splitter connected directly off of the drop from the street / pole with one port feeding the modem and the other port feeding the rest of the house/equipment with additional splits as needed and you've checked all the wiring and fittings for integrity and tightness and refresh them by taking them apart then check for and clean off any corrosion / oxidation on the center wire and put them back together again, then perhaps it's best to book a tech visit to investigate and correct.

Good luck with it !

(edited)

Visitor

• 

10 Messages

@EG thanks for the advice. I'll look around. I don't have TV so I only need the connection to this one cable modem. I don't see any splitters anywhere but it's an older house and I've no idea where the wires are. It's a bit of a rat's nest in the garage frankly. I'll have to do some trial and error.

There is definitely a signal booster though and if I unplug that there is no internet what-so-ever. I also found a 3 dB filter which I removed. That got more downstream channels locked (only one is unlocked now) but the power jumped up about 3 dB on the down stream (imagine that ;-) ) and the upstream power dropped by about 2 dBmV. 

I also found a sharp kink in one of the wires which I've straightened out.

Even before doing this I started to see some spikes in the 400+ gbps range after repositioning the cable modem. After removing the filter and tightening a couple of connections I've still seeing an average in the 100 GBs. But I've more work to do. 

Thanks!

Expert

• 

106.3K Messages

3 years ago

Please report back. You may want to consider getting a tech out to investigate this.

Bear in mind that if the premises facing techs can not find or fix a problem at your home, it is they who are responsible for escalating it to their line / network / maintenance dept. techs. The problem may lie beyond your home in the local neighborhood infrastructure somewhere but it is their S.O.P. to start at the home.

Visitor

• 

10 Messages

3 years ago

@XfinityJeniece OK, I've now got a straight line between the street and the cable modem now. There is nothing inline any more. No signal booster and no splitters (unless there is one buried behind concrete somewhere.

The values reported by the modem have changed significantly, as I would expect.

But the speed test results have not changed. To a large extent since posting the reply yesterday they are significantly worse. My 24 hour average right now is a mere 56 Mbps. I changed the connection only about 10 minutes ago so this worse performance is not a result of any changes I've made to the connections. It's been ongoing 9:00 pm last night.

That graph is between about 3:00 pm 8/20  and 3:00 pm yesterday. The signal to reprovision the modem was sent near the end of that chart, just after that last spike to around 420 Mbps.

Here's the chart for the last 24 hours. I restarted the modem at around 4:00 pm (I didn't see your message right away) which is right around that first dip in the graph.

Things to notice. The scale is different. The first graph's Y scale is between 0 Mbps and 800 Mbps. The past day's scale has been between 0 Mbps and 200 Mbps. In the past 24 hours I've not even seen a spike above 200 Mbps. For most of today the speed has been in the 20 Mbps range.

My speeds have not been this bad since I've started monitoring it.

And again, I didn't touch anything between 4:00 pm yesterday when I restarted the modem and about 2:45 today when I was able to take all the stuff out of the path between the cable modem and the street. As far as I can tell, except for the changes in the signals shown in the modem, nothing has changed. 

Here's the result of the last three speed tests run from my OPNsense box plugged directly into the cable modem.

$ speedtest

Speedtest by Ookla

Server: Aerux Broadband - Denver, CO (id = 14861)
        ISP: Comcast Cable
    Latency:     9.59 ms   (2.71 ms jitter)
   Download:    59.33 Mbps (data used: 102.9 MB)                               
     Upload:    41.58 Mbps (data used: 52.0 MB)                               
Packet Loss: Not available.
 Result URL: https://www.speedtest.net/result/c/2faf912e-b849-4670-881c-1e902b9f7ac0
$ speedtest

Speedtest by Ookla

Server: Whitesky Communications LLC - Denver, CO (id = 23628)
    Latency:     9.20 ms   (3.40 ms jitter)
   Download:    72.73 Mbps (data used: 107.3 MB)                               
     Upload:    41.41 Mbps (data used: 60.2 MB)                               
Packet Loss:     0.0%
 Result URL: https://www.speedtest.net/result/c/c2e9cdef-4bac-4b96-9d26-267591d22a2c
$ speedtest

Speedtest by Ookla

Server: Aerux Broadband - Denver, CO (id = 14861)
    Latency:     9.70 ms   (2.17 ms jitter)
   Download:    57.27 Mbps (data used: 93.6 MB)                               
     Upload:    41.55 Mbps (data used: 21.4 MB)                               
Packet Loss: Not available.
 Result URL: https://www.speedtest.net/result/c/8707ddc4-95ec-4845-9802-880dc83540c5

This comment was created from this reply

Problem Solver

• 

735 Messages

@paperrhino

Thanks for all this work you have put in and for being so thorough! We especially appreciate you keeping us updated because we want to see this corrected as much as you do so you can experience the service you pay for and that we want you to have.

I have checked into the signals both through your modem and outside in the area. At this time, we would recommend coming out so that we can take a look at this in person. We have amazing technicians who will spend the time to narrowing down where the problem is (EDIT: Formatting) and fixing it. I will jump back over in our direct message to see if that is something that we can set up for you.  

(edited)

I no longer work for Comcast. 

Expert

• 

106.3K Messages

3 years ago

Glad you got it sorted out ! Now closing your *marked solved* thread.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here