R

Wednesday, October 11th, 2023 10:53 PM

Closed

Xfinity Streaming App Does Not Work On Streaming Devices Connected to Non-Comcast Network (e.g., AT&T Fiber)

I currently have both Xfinity Cable and Internet services from Comcast.  I have cable boxes for 2 TVs, but I am using Roku devices connected via WiFi on 5 other TVs to stream content using the Xfinity Streaming App (on the Roku).  This allows me to stream both Xfinity content and any recorded programs on the Xfinity DVR connected to my main TV.  It all works great!

I recently installed AT&T fiber for home Internet (better Internet service at a lower price point) and I kept my Comcast Internet just until I was sure everything was working.
I started switching all my devices over to the new WiFi network, but was VERY DISAPPOINTED to find that the Xfinity App would no longer work on my on my Roku and it displayed the message "This device can only access Xfinity Stream on your in-home Xfinity WiFi...".

I have researched this and I believe that Comcast does not allow the Xfinity Streaming App to work on devices that are not connected to a Comcast Xfinity Network (in my case specifically Roku devices running the Xfinity Streaming App connected over WiFi to my AT&T fiber network).  NOTE:  Smart phones and other mobile devices connecting through wireless phone networks have similar limitations but they do work on a limited basis (some content cannot be accessed but other content can).

Is this correct?

NOTE TO COMCAST/XFINITY MANAGEMENT
Assuming that I am correct with the above, I would like to share my perspective on this with you as follows:

I have been a Comcast client since 1996 (starting with the original beta-testing of broadband Internet over cable in Arlington Heights with the original @Home network).

I decided to install to AT&T fiber for my Internet service because that technology is better (i.e., I get better service at a lower cost) - Comcast/Xfinity does not offer direct to home fiber connectivity in my area - if they did, I would quickly switch to that service and this would not be an issue.

I decided to replace the basic cable boxes on 5 of my TVs because Comcast charges $10/month per box (these same boxes used to be about$5.00/month per box).  Since I do not watch these TV's very often, I replaced these boxes with Roku devices (at $30 each) and am now saving about $600 per year.

I enjoy the TV service and offerings that Comcast/Xfinity provide and would like to keep my service.

However, unless there is a solution to the issue I listed above, I am encouraged to explore other TV services (YouTube TV, Direct TV, Streaming, etc.) to replace my Comcast TV service.  In which case, I would then terminate all my Comcast services.

Since I am paying for the Comcast Cable TV Service, my expectation is that you should allow me to access this content on all the TV's within my home (at a reasonable price).  Possible solutions include 1) Lowering the cost of basic cable boxes for additional TVs, or 2) Allowing the Xfinity Streaming App to work on non-Xfinity networks.  Hopefully, you will consider one of these options.

Sincerely, A long time loyal Comcast customer!

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

11 months ago

Thank you so much for being an Xfinity customer and reaching out, rjfalk18! There are certain devices that are considered partners and work well with the Stream App, while others don't you can take a look at the list here https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-stream-app-faqs If there is a certain TV that is on the list but doesn't work please let me know right here (make and model) and I'll look into it for you. 

3 Messages

@XfinityAntoine​ ,

Thanks for that information.

In my case, the Roku device is an approved device that works well with the Xfinity Streaming App.

However, it appears that Xfinity only allows this App to work when it is operating on Home Internet Service that is provided by Comcast/Xfinity (i.e., and not another Internet provider - like AT&T Fiber).

What's odd is that when I am not home (traveling on business), the Xfinity Stream App does work on other networks (albeit on a somewhat limited basis).

I was hoping that Xfinity would be encouraged to remove this limitation and allow this App to work on a non-Xfinity network.

If not, I am incented to explore other options for TV service, which might result in me cancelling ALL my Comcast Services (in which case they would completely lose me as a customer).  But if they could remove this limitation, they would be able to keep me as a happy Cable/TV customer (even though I am using Internet services from another vendor - until Comcast offers Fiber in my area).

Thanks!

(edited)

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

I have a similar issue, but I am wondering if it matters whether the TV DVR service is the legacy type or the X1 cloud type service? I was reviewing the list of available local livestreaming networks outside of the home WiFi network, and my experience has not reflected what i should be able to watch according to the lists.  I am wondering if it is because I still have the legacy TV DVR service?

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

That makes sense and thanks for your feedback! There are restrictions on content we can provide outside the home due to agreements with content providers that have their own apps. Do the TV on the go channels work for you at home or are all the channels giving you that error?

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

Hello and welcome to Comcast @Nikalove. I am sorry to hear you are having troubles with our Xfinity Stream App. You are in the right place and we are happy to assist you. Are you getting an error message when trying to watch the Xfinity Stream App? 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

3 Messages

11 months ago

I try to use xfinity stream app on roku and just kicks me back to home screen I've restarted and factory reset and nothing works 

1 Message

That is what we are dealing with tonight also. Only the Roku tv is streaming the xfinity app. However, the other tv’s in the home can stream all other apps we use. Suggestions?

Official Employee

• 

2.3K Messages

@user_audblx Thank you for reaching out. I am sorry to hear your Rokus are not working at this time. I want to make sure we are respecting your time and not repeat the steps you have taken previously. What troubleshooting steps have you taken? Is your Roku up to date? I would start by rebooting your modem. Ensure that Roku is linked to the same network as your Xfinity device. Once confirm can you reset your Roku account credentials and re-login.

1 Message

9 months ago

I am connected to your network in my home but you keep telling me I'm not and refusing to load the app on my TV. Your incompetence is stunning.

This comment has been converted into a post

1 Message

8 months ago

I have the EXACT same issue. I have been a Comcast TV and internet customer for many, many years. FastBridge Fiber was just newly installed in our neighborhood and it is 500 Mbs for $59 vs. Comcast's at 200 Mbs for $70. I had it installed and have been running both internet services side by side because Comcast doesn't offer fiber. However, when my Roku connected to the FastBridge Fiber network, I was disappointed to get the following message when I tried to use the Xfinity Stream:

Error Code is TVAPP-00101:
“Welcome! This device can only access Xfinity Stream on your in-home Xfinity WiFi . Use the app on your smartphone, tablet, or laptop to watch on the go, any time you like."
FastBridge Fiber will soon be the predominant internet provider in our neighborhood and eventually throughout Reading, PA. Why can't Comcast see that it would be better to keep its TV service customers by allowing streaming (rather than mandating those clunky set-top boxes) than have them all go to alternative streaming options? My neighbors are already trying YouTube TV, Sling, and a plethora of other services preparing to make the switch. Once they get out of the Comcast habit, I doubt they will be back.
I like Comcast TV and streaming it was so convenient. I'd hate to cancel.
But, it is like going to the store for milk and being told you must buy bread in order to get the milk.
Note to COMCAST/Xfinity Management:
Comcast does a lot of good for our community, particularly for the low-income residents with its school and Internet Essentials program. It is sincerely appreciated and is one of the reasons I feel some loyalty here. But as technology changes, there has to be some allowances made. TV Choice was a great start, but opening the Xfinity Stream app to non-Xfinity internet suppliers would be the smart thing for the company to do.
Sincerely, Another very long-term and appreciative Comcast customer!!

3 Messages

@user_8m628j​ ,

Yes EXACTLY.  XFINITY - wake up and see this train coming!  You have loyal customers who want to keep their cable services with you, but want to use other Internet service providers.

Either offer fiber connectivity, or allow streaming on other networks.

I am already considering switching to YouTube TV for my cable services.

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

Thanks for posting on our community forums to provide us with your feedback, @user_8m628j​. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. To confirm, are you getting the error while connected to our network? Or a different network? It sounds like you are currently using a different provider at this time. Is this correct? 

1 Message

8 months ago

I’m getting the same message. I have2 homes and have comcast(xfinity) internet in both homes. I have xfinity Tv in one home. I was trying to download the xfinity app in my second home. Why can’t I stream my xfinity on my second home TV. This  home that I also pay xfinity internet service for? 

Official Employee

• 

734 Messages

@user_uf5gel Hello, I am happy to be of assistance. Can you please send us a DM. You can start by clicking the chat icon located in the top right corner of your forums' page when signed in. Once there, you can direct your messages to "Xfinity Support." Please add your full name and service address to help us locate your account. Let me know if you have any questions. 

2 Messages

8 months ago

I too have been a customer for 30 years or better. I do not understand why I am paying for the streaming app and cannot use it on my smart Samsung television, which is in a different location than my primary residence. This television is a 2023 model, which I was told by Xfinity to make sure I bought either a Samsung or LG smart television, and it would allow me to stream my Xfinity streaming app even though the Internet is not Xfinity the Internet where this TV is located is Optimum

as far as I am concerned, this television is a computer as is my iPad, laptop and phone per se. They all run off the Internet and I can stream Xfinity streaming app on all of these, except for my television I am paying for YOU TUBE TV  at this second residence in order to watch television and I am considering dropping Xfinity altogether because I’m for an application that I cannot use if I’m not on my home wi if What’s  sense of streaming if you have to be connected to your home box, I thought the whole object of streaming was using it anywhere you have internet as long as you pay for your subscription 

(edited)

2 Messages

Sorry let me clarify I am paying for YOU TUBETV  in order to view TV at this residence 

I am paying for a service to “Stream” but can only stream it at my primary residence if I’m connected to my in home wi if , makes no sense Then why even call it a streaming app.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here