erm54's profile

Contributor

• 

85 Messages

Thursday, November 30th, 2023 12:29 AM

Closed

Xfinity Stream app on LG TVs: Closed Captions Always On 2023-11-29

This just started today 11-29-2023. Prior to today this has never happened.

Today, I turned on one of the LG TVs I have and launched the Stream app. I selected a channel and started watching - everything was OK, no issues that I noticed. About 10 minutes later I changed the channel and it still looked OK. I left the room for about 5 minutes and when I returned I noticed that closed captions were displaying on the screen!!!???

I had NOT changed any settings at all and they magically appear??

-I checked the settings in the app, still exactly as before showing closed captions are OFF.

-I checked the settings on the TV itself, and they were still OFF there also.

-I checked 5 channels, closed captions display on every channel.

-I turned on my other LG TV and launched the Stream app there, it also is now displaying closed captions...

-On the first TV, I uninstalled the app, turned off the TV, unplugged the TV and left it that way about 10 minutes. Plugged in the TV, turned it on, and did a fresh install of the Xfinity Stream app. I launched the app and logged in, still displaying closed captions even though the settings show them as off.

-And yes, I did turn them on to see what would happen, and they displayed, then turned them off again, and it still displays closed captions.

So, I assume they have made changes and did not test everything before implementing them (?).

1- I NEVER changed any settings on the TVs themselves

2- I NEVER changed any settings in the apps (any) on either TV

3-I do not have any other device connected to the TVs

4-I launched other apps (Max,Prime Video,Peacock,Brit Box,FreeVee,etc.) and they all work correctly - no closed captions

5-This just started today and as I said, I never changed anything  and wasn't in the room when it started

This is really annoying and it would seem that they would notice it if they actually tested any app changes before putting them into production.

The Stream app on the TV is the latest since I just installed it today. It shows version 2.1.0, but I know most of the Stream app is really running off the servers and not on the local TV.

The LG TVs both have the latest version of WebOS that LG has put out.

- LG models 43UN7300AUD and 65UN8500AUJ

- WebOS version 5.5.0-1102 (jhericurl-jervisbay) update version 04.50.52.

Any ideas??

Thanks

Official Solution

Retired Employee

• 

5.9K Messages

10 months ago

**UPDATE 02/01/2024**

All,

Thank you for your continued patience. An update to fix this issue has been released. We are asking all impacted customers to ensure they have the latest version of the Xfinity Stream app on their television devices and retest. Please let us know if you are still experiencing this issue.

(edited)

1 Message

@XfinityJessie​ so originally Xfinity said by 12/15 - is there a target date?  This is a big hassle for customers.  

New Poster

• 

6 Messages

I hope you’ll have a solution for the constant buffering as well . The CC issue still persists…

Official Employee

• 

1.8K Messages

Thanks for reaching out, @user_b9be23! I understand how inconvenient this can be to have to turn off the captions repeatedly. I am sorry to learn about this experience. We are uncertain of the estimated end time but we are working to get this resolved as quickly as possible. What we can do from here is continue to monitor this issue and once we get an update, we will reach back out, How does this sound?

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

New Poster

• 

7 Messages

The constant buffering is annoying going on 3rd month of no fix stkll for cc and the buffering 

1 Message

@user_b9be23​ This issue still persists! Please...we have all been waiting so long for an update! Maybe if we ALL decide to switch carriers????????  Please help!

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

11 months ago

I just noticed the same issue. CC is on whenever I start the app. I can turn it off though but it comes back the next time

I open the app. Assuming this happened with some update? Any way to keep it off?

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

Hello @Kaneooo, thanks for reaching out for help with the Xfinity Stream app on your LG TV. Are you still having trouble with the Closed Captions always displaying? 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

New Poster

• 

39 Messages

@XfinityRyanE​ Any updates on this issue?

19 Messages

@Kaneooo​ what a hassle!  try backing out of all apps, go to settings, go to device care, manage storage, select the infinity app, clear cache (i also cleared data but might not have needed to.... this will require logging back in to xfinity on the tv), then go back into xfinity... start a program, my cc defaulted to on, so pause the program, at the bottom of the screen arrow over to cc, turn it off, and then the rest of the programs started without cc on.  this must have been an update issue.... drove me crazy.... official xfinity empoyees take notice so we don't have to keep reinventing the wheel as customers.

19 Messages

@Kaneooo​ what a hassle!  try backing out of all apps, go to settings, go to device care, manage storage, select the infinity app, clear cache (i also cleared data but might not have needed to.... this will require logging back in to xfinity on the tv), then go back into xfinity... start a program, my cc defaulted to on, so pause the program, at the bottom of the screen arrow over to cc, turn it off, and then the rest of the programs started without cc on.  this must have been an update issue.... drove me crazy.... official xfinity empoyees take notice so we don't have to keep reinventing the wheel as customers.

Official Employee

• 

3.8K Messages

Hello @user_9mukpv! We appreciate you reaching out on our Forums, and letting us know that you're also experiencing issues with Closed Captioning on your end.

Please know this is a known issue that we're aware of, and our engineers are working hard to get this corrected for everyone as soon as possible. We currently estimate this issue to be resolved by 12/15. Please know this is just an estimated timeframe, and the issue may be resolved before or even after that date.  

We appreciate your continued patience throughout this, and we apologize for any inconvenience or frustration this has caused you. Thank you!

Contributor

• 

85 Messages

11 months ago

@Kaneooo my problem is it shows in the settings (both locations) in the app that it is off and so I can't turn it off. I've tried to set it on, they show up as you would expect. Then I go back and turn them off, but then it's still on... so it's on right now 100% of the time. As I said, very annoying. And it's only the Stream app on the LG TVs that is doing it. The Stream app on my phone is not.

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

Hi there, @erm54 Thank you so much for getting back to us regarding the issue you are having with the Closed Captioning. Are you still experiencing issues with the Closed Captioning?-Richard

4 Messages

We have an xfinity repairman coming out today.  They could not fix it over the phone.

Contributor

• 

85 Messages

@XfinityRichard Hi,

Just noticed your question, had not seen it before and was never notified about it, so just now responding.

Yes, the problem still persists and only with the Stream app on the LG TVs. No other apps ahve the issue.

My latest update I just posted before seeing this is at the bottom. It's marked as private, I assume because I inserted an image.

And as I note, I have found a temporary fix, but you must "fix" the problem every time you start the app. Hope they fix whatever was broke so I don't have to manually change a setting every time I start the app (and it can only be done in only 1 of the 3 places the Stream app has this setting).

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

@erm54 Thank you for the update and for letting us know about the workaround you have found. Our engineers are aware of this issue and are still working out a resolution. We appreciate your patience.

New Poster

• 

39 Messages

@XfinityPeterH​ Any updates on this issue?

New Poster

• 

12 Messages

11 months ago

I'm having the same issue on my LG and Samsung smart tvs.

19 Messages

@KShell​ what a hassle!  try backing out of all apps, go to settings, go to device care, manage storage, select the infinity app, clear cache (i also cleared data but might not have needed to.... this will require logging back in to xfinity on the tv), then go back into xfinity... start a program, my cc defaulted to on, so pause the program, at the bottom of the screen arrow over to cc, turn it off, and then the rest of the programs started without cc on.  this must have been an update issue.... drove me crazy.... official xfinity empoyees take notice so we don't have to keep reinventing the wheel as customers.

New Poster

• 

12 Messages

Thanks I'll try this out!

Official Employee

• 

2.4K Messages

Thank you @user_9mukpv for that suggestion. @KShell did this help?

1 Message

11 months ago

I am having this issue as well, and it is annoying enough to switch to watching something on Netflix or Prime.

Official Employee

• 

2.4K Messages

Thank you for reaching out @user_t6f3qa Can you tell me what troubleshooting steps you have already taken?

New Poster

• 

39 Messages

@XfinityDena​ Any updates on this issue? It seems that if you read this thread, you will see what we all have tried to do. Sorry that I might seem pointed and sharp, but the (a) inability to correct or have a fix, or (b) lack of timely response and the feeling that phone support and online text support wants to end the encounter quickly regardless of repair/correction resolution is beyond frustrating.

4 Messages

11 months ago

I have the same issue on 2 LG tv's.

1 Message

11 months ago

I am having the same issues with two TV's. A Samsung and LG. Closed caption started appearing on it's own on 11-29. I can turn it off, but the next time on turn on either TV and launch the Xfinity Stream app the CC is back on. Both TV's started doing this within a day apart. Software update glitch? Please help!

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

Hello @user_282epk thanks for reaching out and letting us know you are having similar problems to the OP regarding CC always being on. We have created a national escalation for this and would love to get your account linked to that.  Please include the make//model for the TVs, S/W version for the device, and the Stream App, along with your full name, full name for the primary on the account, address, and account number. 

Please send a direct message by clicking the chat icon in the upper right corner of the page, clicking on the pen and paper icon, then entering “Xfinity Support” in the “To” section. 

New Poster

• 

39 Messages

@XfinityAlfonso​ what about the rest of us?

1 Message

11 months ago

I am having this same issue with my Samsung TV as well.

1 Message

11 months ago

I'm having the same issue with 3 LG TVs

Official Employee

• 

331 Messages

@user_nb5ueo I am so sorry to hear about that. Could I please get your full name and address in a direct message so we can work on this together?

Here's the detailed steps to direct message us:

• Click "Sign In" if necessary
  • Click the "Direct Message” icon (upper right corner of this page)
  • Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
  • Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list
  • Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

• Press Enter to send your message

1 Message

11 months ago

I am having same issues with my xfinity streaming app. The tv connected to cable has no issue. Not happening in other apps.  Just xfinity streaming. Reinstalled app, rebooted, still shows cc when cc is turned off. This happened after internet outage the other day. 

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

@user_soxvp9 Can you try pulling the power cable out of your TV for about a minute and then plug it back in? It sounds like closed caption may be stuck.

New Poster

• 

39 Messages

@XfinityBenjaminM​ this was tried, as well as holding the power button on for 10 seconds before replugging in. It DIDN'T work.

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

11 months ago

Same thing started happening to me on a Samsung and LG tvs. CC is turned off and it only happens with the xfinity stream app.

1 Message

11 months ago

Having the same issue on my 2 Samsungs. 
I hate CC! 

New Poster

• 

39 Messages

11 months ago

Same issues as you, and no changes made to anything. Like you, I also disconnected all connected devices to my tv.

My info:

OLED55CXPUA,

Web OS: 5.5.0-1102 (jhericurl-jervisbay)

LG says its "...some other input or device is causing this.".

Comcast/Xfinity keeps telling me to turn it off via my remote. They asked what APP's were affected and I told them ONLY Xfinity Streaming. Think they would listen? NO. My last call with Xfinity I was told they had turned off the Closed Captioning. They were in a rush to end the call, so I said f*** it. I'll call back later. I turned the tv on, waited then turned it back on. The result? CC was on, yet it was still "OFF" in the LG settings.

This issue only occurs in wifi and on "Xfinity Streaming". 

The reps at Xfinity don't listen, don't understand, can't think, and are in a rush to disconnect/end all encounters. If and when they do ask for help, they are still lost and in a rush to end the encounter.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

New Poster

• 

39 Messages

CORRECTION: 

...turned it off then on.

Contributor

• 

85 Messages

The problem persists, so I started browsing elsewhere for answers.  Still no real help there to "fix" the actual problem, but I did find something that I did not know about before. I have never used closed captions in my entire life, so my knowledge of all the places you can turn on/off closed captions was to assume you only did that thru the apps (or hardware) option menu. Some of you may have already known this, so bear with me, like I said I have never used features I don't need...

As I mentioned before, this started on it's own without having accessed any settings for quite some time. 

The TV itself has them turned off in it's settings. 

NO other app has this issue - ONLY the Stream app. X1 TV is fine and Stream on my cell is OK too.

The Stream app for LG TVs has closed captions them turned off in the main menu settings and in the guide options menu.  

Today, I saw comments somewhere else that there is another location that I had not known about because I just never paid attention to the bottom of the screen after I had selected a channel to watch. But right after it starts streaming the channel, at the bottom of the screen is a small menu which goes away after a few seconds. You can also bring it up by pressing the scroll down on the LG remote. I did notice this popped up but really only paid attention to the left side where there is a button for selecting "Last watched". But on the right ide are several icons, one being for CC.  It looks like the following:

This is the ONLY closed caption setting that said it was on (shows check mark). I scrolled over to that icon and selected it and it turned "off" (the check mark goes away). Once that was done, then the closed caption display did go away. But, as mentioned by others, it is only off for this use of the app. Once you exit the Stream app and start it up again, closed caption is back on again. It's wash and repeat...

So, I now know how to temporarily fix it, but it's annoying. It should never happen and we should never have to disable a setting every time we use the app, especially one we never set, or have ever used, in the first place.

Hopes this helps some others who may not have looked at that location, although only temporarily.

(edited)

2 Messages

Thank you!! I will take the temporary fix for now. Like everyone else CC just started showing up when using the Xfinity streaming app on Samsung TV. So annoying!

New Poster

• 

39 Messages

11 months ago

Have you had updates and corrections yet?

Contributor

• 

85 Messages

@drewmcelroy05 , yes, I have heard from them and they have escalated (or trying to) a problem ticket about the issue with the hope of getting a permanent fix sooner rather than later.

I have also added info that is still showing as private, so not sure if anyone else can see it other than xfinity.

In my case I wasn't aware that a small menu comes up when you are watching a channel, etc., and press the scroll down arrow on the remote. It shows up at the bottom of the screen and you can scroll over and select the CC with the arrow to turn off CC there, at least for that session. It's only a temp fix as it is back on the next time you start the app.

Hopefully they will find the cause and get it fixed soon...

New Poster

• 

39 Messages

it seems as if Xfinity picks and chooses which post they will respond to. I've tried everything except a "reset to factory settings". I'm not willing to do this yet as I am not sure it will really work, nor trust Xfinity tech support. This is a minor inconvenience issue, but it is apparent that they can only troubleshoot using set menus and flow charts. They can't seem to think nor understand what the issues are. It's also frustrating that they ask the same questions, and give the same unless fixes every time you get transferred to another agent.

I guess this is the best we can expect after hours or on a weekend. But they are fast rising prices...

19 Messages

@drewmcelroy05​ what a hassle!  try backing out of all apps, go to settings, go to device care, manage storage, select the infinity app, clear cache (i also cleared data but might not have needed to.... this will require logging back in to xfinity on the tv), then go back into xfinity... start a program, my cc defaulted to on, so pause the program, at the bottom of the screen arrow over to cc, turn it off, and then the rest of the programs started without cc on.  this must have been an update issue.... drove me crazy.... official xfinity empoyees take notice so we don't have to keep reinventing the wheel as customers.

19 Messages

@erm54​ what a hassle!  try backing out of all apps, go to settings, go to device care, manage storage, select the infinity app, clear cache (i also cleared data but might not have needed to.... this will require logging back in to xfinity on the tv), then go back into xfinity... start a program, my cc defaulted to on, so pause the program, at the bottom of the screen arrow over to cc, turn it off, and then the rest of the programs started without cc on.  this must have been an update issue.... drove me crazy.... official xfinity empoyees take notice so we don't have to keep reinventing the wheel as customers.

Contributor

• 

85 Messages

@user_9mukpv , I've tried all those things. I even uninstalled the app completely, power cycled the TV, blah, blah, blah, installed the app again, logged back into my account, everything,  and it's still on by default. The only thing that worked to turnthem off, although only temporarily, is to change the CC setting when the small menu comes up at the bottom of the screen after you start streaming on a channel. At least for that session they are off, next use of the app... repeat...

1 Message

11 months ago

Why does the CC continue to auto default on? It’s super annoying! 

19 Messages

@user_4jqtge​ what a hassle!  try backing out of all apps, go to settings, go to device care, manage storage, select the infinity app, clear cache (i also cleared data but might not have needed to.... this will require logging back in to xfinity on the tv), then go back into xfinity... start a program, my cc defaulted to on, so pause the program, at the bottom of the screen arrow over to cc, turn it off, and then the rest of the programs started without cc on.  this must have been an update issue.... drove me crazy.... official xfinity empoyees take notice so we don't have to keep reinventing the wheel as customers.

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

Hi, @user_4jqtge. Thank you for reaching out. I see you are having a similar issue as well. Can you expand a bit more regarding your situation, the devices affected, and any troubleshooting you've done so far?

1 Message

I am having same issue with CC always on when I launch the Stream App. I can turn off but once I exit Xfinity Stream app and go back in the C is on again and > have to turn off each time. So annoying. Is there a permanent fix yet? I see some advice that talks about going to DEVICE CARE in Settings but that icon is blocked out on my tv amd I cannot select. Please help.

Official Employee

• 

2.3K Messages

Hey there, @user_99tk6k we are aware of the known issue, and we are working to get this resolved as soon as possible. I would recommend continuing to check your Xfinity Stream app. We hope to have this resolved very soon and appreciate your patience.  

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

No change log in the update you can't

just roll it back?

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here