U

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, April 18th, 2023 11:27 PM

Closed

Xfinity app will not update on Fire TV Stick

The app shows as needing an update and trys to apply but the update never sticks and when you try to load into the app it says your " Android" needs to be updated. and tries to go to an amazon update link. 

Tried to clear cache and data then tried to reinstall and now it will not install. 

Problem Solver

• 

729 Messages

1 year ago

@

I am so sorry that you are having these issues with the Fire Stick! Are you able to get it off the network and back on to see if that helps anything? 

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

@XfinityJosephB​ I am able to get it on my smart tv and it works there.. i dont know how i would get it any other way off the network on the fire stick. When the browser comes up it tries to download the android version

Problem Solver

• 

385 Messages

Thank you for trying and letting us know @user_2c1ad8. Have you tried to restart the Firestick itself? 

I no longer work for Comcast.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

@XfinityJosephB​ 

It has been a month now and I see no posting of a solution for the issue with the app not updating on firestick. When trying to update on Amazon the information reads that the firestick is incompatible. So what is next?

Visitor

• 

1 Message

@XfinityKrystal​ is there a solution for the firestick issue yet??

Recognized Contributor

• 

238 Messages

Thanks for reaching back out to us. I want to make sure that your Firestick is compatible with the Xfinity Stream app. Any smartphone, tablet or Fire TV device running Android 6, Fire OS 5 or earlier isn't supported. May I ask you to confirm that your device doesn't gall under these limitations?

Visitor

• 

1 Message

1 year ago

Same issue here. What’s the solution??

Official Employee

• 

746 Messages

@user_c6dffd are you recieving an error message as well that the firestick is incompatible?

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

1 Message

1 year ago

Also having the same issue. The Xfinity stream app has been unusable for the past 2 days on fire stick. 

Official Employee

• 

2.3K Messages

Thank you for reaching out today. I am sorry to hear your Stream app is not working at this time on your Fire Stick. I want to make sure we are respecting your time and not repeat the steps you have taken previously. What troubleshooting steps have you taken? Is your Fire Stick up to date? I would start by rebooting your modem. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

1 year ago

Similar issue. The Xfinity Stream app on Amazon Firestick says it needs to be updated but won’t update via the normal Firestick process; instead, it sends the screen to the silk browser for an update that is incompatible. 

Official Employee

• 

232 Messages

Hello, @user_77d75a. I understand that you are having trouble updating the Stream app on your Amazon Firestick. May I ask what operating system the Firestick is currently running?

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

1 year ago

I am having the same issue. 

Error reads: App update required. To continue enjoying your favorite TV and movies, download the latest version of the app in the Google Play Store or the Amazon Appstore. 

When you click "Got it" under the error message, you're redirected to either a Fire website, which is not supported, or to the Silk browser, which leads you to an Amazon page where you can do nothing.

Thing I have done to remedy:

Clear cache

Clear data

Uninstall/Reinstall Xfinity Stream app via the Appstore

Restart Firestick

Clear cache and data, uninstall, restart Firestick, reinstall, reauthorize/reactivate

Have done all multiple times, but still get the error. Very frustrating.

Wifi is fine. Stream app works on all my other devices (phone, laptop, tablet)

(edited)

Visitor

• 

1 Message

@user_f15fd3​ 

erformed similar process and even reset stick to factory settings

my version 3 firestick IS working 

I have 3 non working version 2

Official Employee

• 

2.2K Messages

Thanks for that information and I apologize you have been having an issue with the 3 other Firesticks. Have you tried any of the troubleshooting mentioned in this thread to see if that helps with the issue? 

Visitor

• 

9 Messages

@user_f15fd3​ same thing for me too. I was on the phone with Xfinity for 2 hours this week. They were absolutely clueless. I talked to Amazon about Firestick and they said they are working on the problem. But not sure that was true. Very frustrating. 

Visitor

• 

11 Messages

1 year ago

See also my post... https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/xfinity-stream-app/fire-tv-xfinity-stream-issue-52523/646fe93127f9157f6ff96275

Same issue...following here for possible resolution. The Xfinity Stream app works fine on all other devices but will not work with Fire TV.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

1 year ago

Same issue. App will run on 4K LG tv but freezes up very often so I run it on the tv thru my fire stick but it stopped working about two days ago….

Official Employee

• 

2K Messages

Hi there! If you are still having issues, please create your own post, and our awesome team will be happy to help! 

Visitor

• 

11 Messages

1 year ago

FYI - I had this same issue and my problem was that I was using a first gen Fire Stick. I updated to a newer Amazon Fire Stick and now the Xfinity Stream app functions just fine. Amazon also had a special price on the 4k Fire Stick yesterday (5/30/23) priced with promo code at $24.99 and they will also take trade in of your older Fire Stick.

Visitor

• 

9 Messages

@user_289007​ so we need a newer version of Firestick??  I spent a lot of time on the phone with Xfinity and Amazon this week and no one mentioned that. 

Visitor

• 

11 Messages

@BReal0684 yes, you will need a newer version of the firestick. Once that will support the required version. I believe the XFi Stream app requires Fire OS 6+.

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

1 year ago

@XfinityJosephB @XfinityKrystal @XfinityDannyB @Xfinity Support Looks like there are a lot of people with this issue. Are we all supposed to buy new fire sticks or is there something we can do to make ours work?

Visitor

• 

1 Message

@user_f15fd3​ Exactly! I have 3 firesticks and having the same issue. This is beyond annoying. 

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

Same issue here.  Do we need to purchase new Firesticks?  This is costly!

Recognized Contributor

• 

238 Messages

That's a great question. Your Amazon Fire TV Stick should automatically update to the latest version when you connect to the internet. This means that if your device is in need of an update to a version that is compatible-- that update should come through on its own. You can contact Amazon if you think your device is not updating properly.

I know one big reason that many of us, including myself, have things like Amazon Fire Stick, Roku, Chromecast, Apple TV and the list goes on (find that list here), is to save some money from rental costs of an X1 box. I just recently returned a box in a guest room and have the Xfinity Stream app set up on my new Roku 4K tv instead. This works great for me because that TV is rarely used. If you are looking for other options don't forget about your great friend X1!

Our X1 cable boxes are without compare and it is the best option around! The rental of our amazing X1 box has many advantages. There are options out there for voice remotes, yet I feel our Emmy winning X1 voice remote is in a class of its own. Rarely do I ever push any other button outside the microphone one when searching for something to watch. The X1 system has learned the things I like better than my wife has! The great assortment of apps on X1 makes it great so you don't have to change inputs. There are so many cool things about the X1 box find out more here to see if this option would work for you. 

You do have other options out there and I have provided links so you can check them out. See what best fits your needs and don't be afraid to check out reviews online or eben ask others on the Xfinity Forums what they suggest. Just start another post and get the communities feed back. 

I'm going to include an Amazon list if Fire TV Sticks and the upgrade versions. The full lkist can be found online 

Fire TV Device and Accessory Software Updates.

Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K: FireOS 6.2.9.4 (8893090692)

Fire TV Stick 4K Max: FireOS 7.6.1.4 (27347744132)

Fire TV Stick (3rd Generation): FireOS 7.6.1.4 (27347744132)

Fire TV Stick Lite: FireOS 7.6.1.4 (27347744132)

Amazon Fire TV (3rd Generation): FireOS 6.2.9.4 (8893090692)

Amazon Fire TV (2nd Generation): FireOS 5.2.9.3 (686800020)

Amazon Fire TV (1st Generation): FireOS 5.2.7.4 (656639420)

Fire TV Stick with Alexa Voice Remote: FireOS 5.2.9.3 (686800020)

Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote: FireOS 5.2.9.3 (686800020)

Fire TV Stick (1st Generation): FireOS 5.2.9.3 (686800020)

Fire TV Stick Basic Edition: FireOS 5.2.8.0 (668694820)

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

Sooo... is all this to say that Xfinity washes its hands of this and we should go to Amazon or find some other way to stream if we can't figure it out ourselves?

Visitor

• 

1 Message

So, this thread is filled with Xfinity employees giving all kinds of time consuming and useless  'advice' trying to address the issue, even stating that Firestick OS 5.2.9.3 is supported, which now obviously it does not. 2 of my 3 Firesticks are 2nd Gen and work perfectly fine for our dozen+ other installed apps

Yet, we JUST ordered Xfinity last week where the salesperson raved about how great it is that we already have Firestick so can use Xfinity streaming, without checking which devices we have. And the installer today had absolutely no idea why he couldn't get the app installed, even calling his support. His advice? Wait a while  and it might work later. 

So I just wasted 2 hours tonight rebooting, updating, creating new profiles, etc, and  finally after searching the forums do I see others with the same issue. My husband was ready for us to order 2 Xfinity set top boxes for $15/month each. Makes me wonder if there was a plan there. Instead Amazon will reap the benefits when I order 2 new fire sticks. 

This lack of communication and training of Xfinity employees does not give me the warm and fuzzies about our decision to switch from FIOS only because our rates went up when the contract expired.  

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

1 year ago

FYI - this is what Amazon Support told me:

Sounds like the developer either mismatched the app version or entered the incorrect OS designation in the app manifest, You can try resetting the fire stick so that it has an older OS and maybe that will work until xfinty fixes the manifest.
Go to setting > My Fire TV > Reset to Factory defaults.
So basically, Xfinity says it's Amazon and Amazon says it's Xfinity... Roku anyone? LOL!

(edited)

Problem Solver

• 

828 Messages

@user_f15fd3

If you don't mind me asking, what operating system is your Firestick. Please make sure you have the minimum requirements: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-tv-app-requirements

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

I just updated it and it's 5.2.9.5... which it looks like won't work with the Xfinity Stream App anymore. That's disappointing.

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

I'm sorry to hear that, @user_f15fd3. Have you tried updating the software? Os is it not available for that particular device? 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

1 year ago

i have the same issue.

Has anyone just made the choice to cancel Xfinity and go with another option? I just want to watch ABC, CBS and NBC anyway.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

1 year ago

I agree with the post above.  I really do not watch television-except during football season.  I only want to get ABC, CBS and NBC to get the football games.  I do not care about any other streaming offerings they have.  I can't get the Xfinity app to work and am considering cancelling but I'm not sure anything will give me this.

1 Message

1 year ago

This is so infuriating!  I have spent hours on the phone with support for the Fire stick trying to uninstall, reinstall, uninstall, reinstall Xfinity stream, rebooting the Fire stick, returning to factory settings, returning to factory settings AGAIN.  And every time I call Xfinity and Amazon customor support (at least 8 times) they act like my problem is a new problem and I'm the only one struggling with this problem.  I see no answers in this long post, except maybe buying a new Fire stick.  And it's true what someone said previously that "Amazon is blaming Xfinity and Xfinity is blaming Amazon."  For the amount of money we're all being charged just to watch TV, basic channels, this is totally unacceptable!  Anyone notice how many Comcast people who posted recommendations is "no longer an employee of Comcast"????  Interesting.

Official Employee

• 

1.8K Messages

Hello, @user_a5d0bc! Could you please send our team a direct message with your full name and full address? To send a direct message: 

1. In the top right corner, you'll see a little chat icon near the bell icon. Click the direct message icon 
  2. Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
  3. In the 'To' line, type "Xfinity Support" there. A drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list (an "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line)
  4. Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
  5. Press Enter to send it. An official employee, such as myself or whoever is first available, will respond. Thanks!

2 Messages

You I need a newer fire stick you have an older fire stick with a 5.0 or something operating system it will not work with Xfinity streaming anymore.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here