mjpries's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, August 6th, 2018 7:00 AM

Closed

XG1V4 box HDMI handshake problem

I have seen several messages/questions in this forum about problems with the XG1V4 box losing its HDMI connection with the TV. But in none of those threads does there appear to be a resolution, so I am going to try to bring up the question/problem again.

My setup:

XG1V4 connected via UHD high-speed HDMI cable to Samsung UN65JU6500 TV.

Problem:

The TV and XG1V4 work fine together for the whole day. Then, the next morning, when I turn the TV on I get a black screen. I can resolve the problem by rebooting the XG1V4 (obviously not an acceptable way of dealing with the problem). Occassionally, without needing to reboot, I can get the box and the TV to communicate correctly by first connecting the XG1V4 to a much older non-UHD Samsung TV, getting that TV to show correctly, and then connecting the XG1V4 to the UN65JU6500. But that doesn't always work. In any event, even when I do get it to work correctly, it quits working again the next morning. Rinse and repeat.

Elsewhere on these forums there have been a couple of suggested fixes. First, turn off PowerSave. I have done that. Second, make sure you have a UHD high-speed cable. I have done that.  Third, make sure that you have the latest firmware on the TV and on the XG1V4 box. I have done that.

From reading the various threads on this issue, it appears that it is an HDCP 2.2 issue that is causing the XG1V4 and the TV to have a problem establishing an HDMI handshake. And several Comcast employees suggested that the problem has been sent back to the tech folks to find a solution. But unless I have missed it, I don't see any notice of a resolution.....

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Contributor

• 

58 Messages

5 years ago

Is your cable box power saver on? Changing the box won’t help

Problem Solver

• 

846 Messages

5 years ago

I tried the instructions and it didn't work. Does anything happen after pressing exit for 5 seconds or just keep going? Do I press the down arrow or the page down button? I'm using the XR15 remote if that matters. Thanks.

Problem Solver

• 

846 Messages

5 years ago

I just had the first connection problem since I put on the new HDMI cables. There are possibly 2 items that could be the culprit. 1) I tweaked the color yesterday and turned on the digital clean view on the Samsung picture settings. or 2) after getting a connection I saw the screen saver picture on the screen. This feature can't be turned off just set to it's longest interval before coming on. So possibly when the sleep saver kicked in that disconnects the picture from the DVR. But I didn't have to shut the DVR to reconnect just go to connection source and the picture came back on.

Problem Solver

• 

846 Messages

5 years ago

I used to have software version 98.1.2 4/23/19 then last night I got 97.1.4 4/16/19. Interesting roll back to a version I never had. I think 97.1.3  was the previous highest number in the 97 series.

As I mentioned I had changed my TV settings and think it caused the latest connection problem. So I changed the TV back and  have not had the reconnection issue again. However the problem could have been caused by the screen saver option in my Samsung that doesn't give me an opt out choice. So I am running the TV to try and get the screen saver option to kick in and see if that causes the connection issue.

Interesting side note this version 97.1.4 has brought back the green coloring for the "new" show label in the TV guide. Thank you comcast.

Problem Solver

• 

846 Messages

5 years ago

Here are the numbers from my two DVRs. I couldn't find where the MOCA number is. Nothing in MOCA diagnostics looked like 250.

4K DVR                Old DVR

Codeword errors                   0                            0

SNR                                   40 - 42.1             38 - 40.5 

Down Power                       3.1                          3.3

Down SNR                          39.4                       37.6

Up Power                            41.8                       39.8

MOCA                                   NA                          NA

Since I shut off the "Digital Clean" feature on my Samsung 4K I haven't had the reconnect issue again. Tomorrow I will put the old HDMI cables back on and see if the reconnect issue returns.

Contributor

• 

58 Messages

5 years ago

What are u trying to learn from diagnostics meant for their techs? Stop playing around if the problem had gone away.

Contributor

• 

28 Messages

5 years ago

Unplugging and plugging in helps on all tv’s. But it’s a temporary fix. We’re looking for the permanent solution. My guess it won’t happen until Comcast goes 4K for themselves

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I have exactly same issue with Toshiba Fire Edition 55inch. It works after I remove HDMI a cable and plug it back in. I guess this is lot easier fix than other people had to go through on other brand TV.

Problem Solver

• 

846 Messages

5 years ago

RickGr4, Thanks for the help on this. It was interesting to see behind the scenes. If I'm not mistaken the SNR numbers where I listed a range was the signal strength for each head I just showed them as a range.

I was in the MOCA diagnostics but couldn't find any number that looked like the answer. And the second page was just a large spread sheet.

Brian, my connection problem disappeared when I upgraded my HDMI cables. Tomorrow I will put the old cables back on for a couple of days to see if the problem returns or if the fix was actually from Comcast in an upgrade.

Speaking of upgrades did everyone get a revision down from 98.1.2 to 97.1.4 the other night? Has anyone experienced a return to a lower level version before? Interesting.

Problem Solver

• 

846 Messages

5 years ago

RickGr4, one other thing. I looked at the page that supposedly shows the percent of the hard drive that is used and how much is available. Both DVRs said they were 20% full which is totally incorrect for both of my DVRs. That was disappointing . One of the flaws in having 2 DVRs is that you can watch and erase any item that has been recorded on either DVR.  But the DVRs don't work as one in finding space to record new programs. You can't give instructions to record on just one DVR b/c it will record to just one DVR and leave the other one empty.  So I had to try and balance how much would be recorded to each DVR manually. But I can't tell exactly how well I am doing. Overall my DVRs are 65% full but I can't tell how much is on each. I had hoped to learn that in the DVR utilities.

Contributor

• 

28 Messages

5 years ago

@WindsurfMaui wrote:

Brian, my connection problem disappeared when I upgraded my HDMI cables. Tomorrow I will put the old cables back on for a couple of days to see if the problem returns or if the fix was actually from Comcast in an upgrade.

I need a 50’ HDMI cable, so I went with a fiber optic type. Picture quality is good, but I believe the box is the issue.

Contributor

• 

61 Messages

5 years ago

@WindsurfMaui wrote:

RickGr4, Thanks for the help on this. It was interesting to see behind the scenes. If I'm not mistaken the SNR numbers where I listed a range was the signal strength for each head I just showed them as a range.

I was in the MOCA diagnostics but couldn't find any number that looked like the answer. And the second page was just a large spread sheet.

Speaking of upgrades did everyone get a revision down from 98.1.2 to 97.1.4 the other night? Has anyone experienced a return to a lower level version before? Interesting.

My upgrade did not go back to the lower one.   Summary of my issue since January:

Sansumg 2017 Q7 TV   I tried everything suggested on this foum, not to mention changing boxes and countless visits and telephone converstations with comcast.  The one thing that works that was suggested by a forum member is turning off the UHD to the HDMI port on the TV used by the X1 box.   This works all the time.    A few weeks ago after the upgrade to the 97.1.4 version I turned the UHD back on.  It worked for nearly two weeks.  Previously it would not make the handshake every 2/3 days.  Then the handshake issue came back and once again I have the problem every 2/3 days.  After the upgrade to the 98.1.2 version the problem is still there.   That is every 2/3 days I have to restart the X1 via the App to get a picture.   One thing that is different is that now when I turn it on and the TV does not make the handshake I get sound but no picture.  One additional thing I saw on some posts regarding the power saver being on  having some affect on the handshake.  With my system and issue with the power saver being on or off makes no difference.

Maybe some day it will get fixed but not optomistic after 5 months (for me).

Contributor

• 

58 Messages

5 years ago

You don’t need to have UHD turned on. 4K works fine.
Samsung default is off.
Why keep screwing around?

Contributor

• 

61 Messages

5 years ago

@radnortx1 wrote:
Samsung default is off.

@radnortx1 wrote:
Samsung default is off.

Your right! I’m done with this.  Never really saw a difference in picture quality with it on or off   Thanks 

Problem Solver

• 

846 Messages

5 years ago

@RickGr4 wrote:
That "second page" is the right page.

It can take 5 to 10 seconds for the numbers to populate in the upper left corner of the screen.

Thanks I will check it out .

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here