mjpries's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, August 6th, 2018 7:00 AM

Closed

XG1V4 box HDMI handshake problem

I have seen several messages/questions in this forum about problems with the XG1V4 box losing its HDMI connection with the TV. But in none of those threads does there appear to be a resolution, so I am going to try to bring up the question/problem again.

My setup:

XG1V4 connected via UHD high-speed HDMI cable to Samsung UN65JU6500 TV.

Problem:

The TV and XG1V4 work fine together for the whole day. Then, the next morning, when I turn the TV on I get a black screen. I can resolve the problem by rebooting the XG1V4 (obviously not an acceptable way of dealing with the problem). Occassionally, without needing to reboot, I can get the box and the TV to communicate correctly by first connecting the XG1V4 to a much older non-UHD Samsung TV, getting that TV to show correctly, and then connecting the XG1V4 to the UN65JU6500. But that doesn't always work. In any event, even when I do get it to work correctly, it quits working again the next morning. Rinse and repeat.

Elsewhere on these forums there have been a couple of suggested fixes. First, turn off PowerSave. I have done that. Second, make sure you have a UHD high-speed cable. I have done that.  Third, make sure that you have the latest firmware on the TV and on the XG1V4 box. I have done that.

From reading the various threads on this issue, it appears that it is an HDCP 2.2 issue that is causing the XG1V4 and the TV to have a problem establishing an HDMI handshake. And several Comcast employees suggested that the problem has been sent back to the tech folks to find a solution. But unless I have missed it, I don't see any notice of a resolution.....

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

6 years ago

@mjpries wrote:

I have seen several messages/questions in this forum about problems with the XG1V4 box losing its HDMI connection with the TV. But in none of those threads does there appear to be a resolution, so I am going to try to bring up the question/problem again.

My setup:

XG1V4 connected via UHD high-speed HDMI cable to Samsung UN65JU6500 TV.

Problem:

The TV and XG1V4 work fine together for the whole day. Then, the next morning, when I turn the TV on I get a black screen. I can resolve the problem by rebooting the XG1V4 (obviously not an acceptable way of dealing with the problem). Occassionally, without needing to reboot, I can get the box and the TV to communicate correctly by first connecting the XG1V4 to a much older non-UHD Samsung TV, getting that TV to show correctly, and then connecting the XG1V4 to the UN65JU6500. But that doesn't always work. In any event, even when I do get it to work correctly, it quits working again the next morning. Rinse and repeat.

Elsewhere on these forums there have been a couple of suggested fixes. First, turn off PowerSave. I have done that. Second, make sure you have a UHD high-speed cable. I have done that.  Third, make sure that you have the latest firmware on the TV and on the XG1V4 box. I have done that.

From reading the various threads on this issue, it appears that it is an HDCP 2.2 issue that is causing the XG1V4 and the TV to have a problem establishing an HDMI handshake. And several Comcast employees suggested that the problem has been sent back to the tech folks to find a solution. But unless I have missed it, I don't see any notice of a resolution.....

if you switch your TV input to something else then back to the set top box does the TV establish connection then? if you unplug the HDMI connector from the back of the set top box (note the location of the port) and plug it back in after 20 seconds or so, does the set top box establish connection? if you unplug the AC from the TV for 30 seconds, does it then establish connection with the set top box? Did you try a different port on the TV to connect the set top box? (some ports are 'for' ARC). Does the set top box connect directly to the TV or though a sound bar or receiver? what is the brand/model of the TV (to allow viewing of the owner's manual)?

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Rustyben,

Thanks for the reply. I have tried all those things that you have recommended, and many more. None work consistently. The only *certain* way to get it to work again is to reboot the box (which of course takes many minutes). 

The TV model number is UN65JU6500.

It would seem like Comcast should have a firmware fix for this as people have been complaining about variants of this problem for several months...

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Hello,

I had a similar issue, basically the video was not showing (black screen) but I could see the menus and other elements on screen. 

For me, the fix was to disable the 10/12-bit color setting on the TV (In my LG TV it was called "HDMI UHD Deep Color" or something like that).  Apparently the chipset on the XG1V4 could not reliably establish the higher bandwith connection on 4K (10/12-bit vs 8-bit colour depth) even with a good quality HDMI cable with ethernet.

I have no issues using the same cable and settings with the PS4. Go figure.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

If this is any consolation then I have the very same problem and it's nice knowing I'm not alone.   I've had the tech out twice and he changed some cables in the hopes of repairing and time will tell.   The issue is somewhat of an intermittent problem and rebooting the box helps most of the time but not all.  I will give it another few days to see if the issue is resolved.  Wish me luck!

Contributor

• 

58 Messages

6 years ago

Having the same issue.  No one seems to know what to do.  Box was changed.  Any solution Comcast? 

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

If you google search there are others out there I can get the exact one this week. That's has fixed the issue

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

We have been using something similar to this to fix the issue
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=14106

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

6 years ago

you are removing the ability of getting 4k UHD by using that device 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

6 years ago

@Rustyben wrote:

you are removing the ability of getting 4k UHD by using that device 

After reading the specifications on the device, I have to agree with Rusty.

The device is only: HDMI 1.4 compliant, which is incompatible with Comcast requirements for the 4K DVR. The specifications state their equipment works only up to 2K (approx. 1440p), if that is actually true.  If you don't require getting 4K video then it may work. As always. Buyer Beware.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

Not sure the environment that they have being using them in but thèy are saying they are working and fixed the issue for now.
I have only seen them in passing Around here there are no 4k channels currently only netflix. hopefully channels will be coming next year.

Contributor

• 

58 Messages

6 years ago

They have admitted it’s an issue that right now has no solution. At least they acknowledged it to me. I hope they are working on it. It only happens if the TV is off when they do an update. Change to another time when your TV is on. It won’t happen!

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

I am having the same problem.  Had 15 calls and two onsite visits with no resolution.   I have a similar model of Samsung.  I am tempted to go back to Hulu Live.   The Samsung tv is only three years old, not sure what to do.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

6 years ago

@radnortx1 wrote:
They have admitted it’s an issue that right now has no solution. At least they acknowledged it to me. I hope they are working on it. It only happens if the TV is off when they do an update. Change to another time when your TV is on. It won’t happen!

I did not get an update last night but it was over 5 hours since reboot and mine was not connected (no video) to the TV. I gave the fix above and await a firmware etc fix.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

6 years ago

@PPP2 wrote:

I am having the same problem.  Had 15 calls and two onsite visits with no resolution.   I have a similar model of Samsung.  I am tempted to go back to Hulu Live.   The Samsung tv is only three years old, not sure what to do.

are you speaking of what happens (no signal) when the X1 box is idle over 5 hours or so? If so, does pressing xfinity button then exit and then changing inputs for the TV using the TV remote to something else then back to the HDMI for the set top box (which then is 'live' and working)?

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

Turned off INSTANT ON feature on my Samsung Tv.  Worked fine for one day, will let you know if this solves it.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here