mjpries's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, August 6th, 2018 7:00 AM

Closed

XG1V4 box HDMI handshake problem

I have seen several messages/questions in this forum about problems with the XG1V4 box losing its HDMI connection with the TV. But in none of those threads does there appear to be a resolution, so I am going to try to bring up the question/problem again.

My setup:

XG1V4 connected via UHD high-speed HDMI cable to Samsung UN65JU6500 TV.

Problem:

The TV and XG1V4 work fine together for the whole day. Then, the next morning, when I turn the TV on I get a black screen. I can resolve the problem by rebooting the XG1V4 (obviously not an acceptable way of dealing with the problem). Occassionally, without needing to reboot, I can get the box and the TV to communicate correctly by first connecting the XG1V4 to a much older non-UHD Samsung TV, getting that TV to show correctly, and then connecting the XG1V4 to the UN65JU6500. But that doesn't always work. In any event, even when I do get it to work correctly, it quits working again the next morning. Rinse and repeat.

Elsewhere on these forums there have been a couple of suggested fixes. First, turn off PowerSave. I have done that. Second, make sure you have a UHD high-speed cable. I have done that.  Third, make sure that you have the latest firmware on the TV and on the XG1V4 box. I have done that.

From reading the various threads on this issue, it appears that it is an HDCP 2.2 issue that is causing the XG1V4 and the TV to have a problem establishing an HDMI handshake. And several Comcast employees suggested that the problem has been sent back to the tech folks to find a solution. But unless I have missed it, I don't see any notice of a resolution.....

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Contributor

• 

28 Messages

5 years ago

I spoke too soon........ it went out last night, so I switched the Ultra HDMI back off. Bummer!

Contributor

• 

61 Messages

5 years ago

@rlee131 wrote:

@jmg1951 wrote:

Comcast are the people who told us that they were issuing software/firmware updates to fix the problem. If this is not what we should be hoping for what else is there, for them to exchange our hardware? 

After seeing comments about the recent update I turned the UHD to the X1 HDMI port back on to see if it fixed the issue on my system.    Having it off resolved the problem as you had suggested.  It is now working with the UHD back on  No problem any longer with the HANDSHAKE problem.   Don’t know why it is now working for my Samsung TV and not others But “I’ll take it”. Following this forum  for this issue has been very helpful.  Thanks for the help 

Well I spolke to soon.  The handshake issue came back today.  Previously I would experience the issue every 2 to three days.  This time I went for 12 days so I thought it was FIXED so I  posted that it was working.   WRONG today back to the same problem.  Many months now so I suspect it will never get fixed.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

I am having the same issue, i have to pull the power cord for the XG1V4 or switch the hdmi to a different tv port. My tv is a Vizio and it did this to two different models of tv , i even switched out the XG1V4 and it still does it, xfinity support told me the issue wasn't on there end, looks like it is. This is driving me insane.

Problem Solver

• 

846 Messages

5 years ago

Is everyone still on version 97.1.4? no new updates? We can't blame a new update that started the problem up again?

Contributor

• 

61 Messages

5 years ago

@WindsurfMaui wrote:

Is everyone still on version 97.1.4? no new updates? We can't blame a new update that started the problem up again?

That’s the update I’m on. Like I said previously.  That update fixed my issue for maybe 12 days.  Then it started again.  Been dealing with for many months.  See my posts since January.  Thought it was fixed but was wrong. 

Problem Solver

• 

846 Messages

5 years ago

It sounds wierd to me that an update would fix the problem and then it would stop after 12 days without something else changing. Did you make any other adjustments since then? There has to be some other reason that the problem returned.

Contributor

• 

61 Messages

5 years ago

@WindsurfMaui wrote:

It sounds wierd to me that an update would fix the problem and then it would stop after 12 days without something else changing. Did you make any other adjustments since then? There has to be some other reason that the problem returned.

I did not make any changes to my system.  Previously, the problem would take place every 2 or 3 days.   Meaning everthing worked fine with the UHD turned on for a few days then I would have to restart the X1 to get the picture on the TV.   Today I turned on the system and no problem.  I will let the forum know if I am once again experiencing the same issue evry 2/3 days  know it looks like that patten is happening   Time will tell

Problem Solver

• 

846 Messages

5 years ago

My Comcast boxes shutdown almost every night for software updates few of which change the software version so maybe one of those nightly updates did change something in your box that brought back the problem. I always assumed that it was those nightly updates that caused my reconnect problems. That is it wasn't the software update but the process of a download restart of the boxes that caused the problem. And I still believe it was my cables that cured the problem. But I will try and prove my theory in a few days when I put the old cables back on and see if the problem returns. As of now I still have the 97.1.4 version and my new cables have made my picture quality even better so I am reluctent to go back but in the pursuit of scientific inquiry I will try the experiment.

Do you have the Xfinity My Account app and when you check are you seeing the Comcast box that is causing the problem with a green dot or is it red? (Sorry if I am covering old ground I have read this whole thread but I don't remember who was having which problem and the thread is too long togo back to reread it. Sorry.)

Also I live in an apartment building and previously I had a weak signal that was outside the range. When Comcast came out to test it they added an amplifier to my line which put my whole system back in range and fixed a number of old problems. When I went into Comcast Labs and ran the signal strength test I wouldn't get an answer. Now it always results in a good signal strength report. Are you having any problems with signal strength?

Problem Solver

• 

846 Messages

5 years ago

I'd love to be able to run diagnostics. If you have a link to a tutorial on how to do it please post it. Thanks.

Problem Solver

• 

846 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks for all that info. Is there any special trick to get out of the diagnostics? I don't want to be stuck in the twilight zone permanently.  :>)

Contributor

• 

36 Messages

5 years ago

For everyones information:

Release Version 98.1.2  4/23/19 was downloaded to me last night and no fix for me. 

Problem Solver

• 

846 Messages

5 years ago

I also have the 98.1.2 4/23/19 version. But since my problem disappeared with the new HDMI cables this update had no effect. Well not on connection issues. I notice when I am in the TV guide and looking at the information on future programs there is a small label at the beginning of the description "New" or "repeat". In the past the New label would be in bright green and the repeat label in grey. Now both are in grey. Is anyone else experiencing this? Are there any other negative changes with the latest update?

I plan on putting the old HDMI cables back on my 4K TV on Tuesday to see if the connection problem returns.

Contributor

• 

36 Messages

5 years ago

With this update I no longer have to restart the cable box, I just turn the tv on and off 2 times , wait 5 minutes and turn the tv back on and it works! This is with the HDMI color on. This not really a fix and just adds more uncertainty to what really is the problem. I’ve been send ing screenshots to a Comcast Senior Tech who I had dealing with in Jan when I received my 4 k box. He has been sending my results to Comcast Engineering who keep coming back with more questions . Don’t know where this is going but doesn’t seem in a positive direction.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

Since this is, apparently, a moderated forum, can the moderator tell us when the problem might get fixed? is there anyone following the thread that believes they have a solution to this? 

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

I didn't have this issue on my old Vizio, only my new Vizio, both were 4k.  I turned UHD off on the tv for the Comcast port and that didn't fix the issue.  Comcast is coming out tomorrow to replace the box again to see if that fixes the issue.  Since it will be my 3rd box on this tv I doubt it I will fix the issue.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here