jmurlowski's profile

Visitor

• 

9 Messages

Wednesday, August 30th, 2023 3:59 PM

Closed

Xfinity Smart Resume

Xfinity recently (?) chose to mo their Xfinity Smart Resume services.  For years the Smart Resume was delightful and allowed the customer to automatically fast-forward through the commercials.  

Smart Resume Is still a service with Xfinity but now the fast-forward now stops when there is about 30 seconds left on the last commercial.  Very annoying!

We pay over $200 a month to Xfinity and they have now reduced their value to us without a corresponding price reduction.

This decision by Xfinity undoubtedly increases their profits in some way at the expense of customer service.

Official Employee

• 

922 Messages

1 year ago

@jmurlowski Thanks for the feedback on Smart Resume. Have you tried toggling Smart Resume on/off to see if it changes the behavior? Directions can be found here : https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/dvr-smart-resume

Visitor

• 

9 Messages

@XfinityFrank​ Thank you for your suggestion.  Smart Resume was virtually flawless in the past, starting at the beginning of a commercial and ending, almost exactly, when the program resumed. I assumed that this was a change in Xfinity policy and was deliberate to pacify advertising customers of Xfinity. 

I tried your suggestion to toggle Smart Resume on/off to see if it changes the behavior. There was no change in behavior after on/off/on and Smart Resume continued to end before the commercials were completed by approximately 30 seconds. 

@XfinityFrank: Can you investigate and report if Xfinity made this change deliberately, and when it was implemented? 

Official Employee

• 

922 Messages

Thanks for giving that a try @jmurlowski . I have no information that this behavior of Smart Resume is deliberate. We do have a known issue that is being worked on, but what you are describing is not it. That known issue is some customers Smart Resume stopping 30-40 seconds INTO the show, not with 30 seconds left of commercials to go. We can get an investigation going on your particular issue though. Please send a direct message to us by clicking the chat icon in the upper right corner of the page, click on the pen and paper icon, then enter “Xfinity Support” in the “To” section. Please include your full name and complete street address. Also, for investigation, we would need :

The program information, including the:
-Program name.
-Date and time the program aired.
-Season number.
-Episode number.

If you have multiple examples, include them in your direct message. Thanks!

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

9 Messages

Xfinity Frank:

I was unable to send a direct message to you since I could not find the chat icon in the upper right corner of the page. I was able to locate the Xfinity Assistant but that was no help. I did perform the toggle Smart Resume on/off task but that resulted in no change in behavior.

Please provide me a way to send a direct message to you to provide you with my full name and complete street address. 

I was finally able to record examples of my problems with Xfinity Smart Resume. I had to wait for NEW programming to complete these examples. I now have four examples of this problem with Xfinity Smart Resume saved on my DVR. 

1. Magnum PI, S5 Ep13, Appetite for Danger, 10/18/23
  2. Magnum PI, S5 Ep14, Night Has a Thousand Eyes, 10/25/23
  3. Quantum Leap, S2 Ep3, Closure Encounters, 10/18/23
  4. Quantum Leap, S2 Ep4, The Loney Hearts Club, 10/25/23

For years, Smart Resume was delightful and allowed the Xfinity customer to automatically fast-forward through the commercials.  While Smart Resume is still a service with Xfinity, the automatic fast-forward now stops when there are about 30 seconds left on the last commercial.  Very annoying!

We pay over $275 a month to Xfinity and they have now reduced their value to us without a corresponding price reduction. If this is not a system glitch then this decision by Xfinity was to increase their profits at the expense of customer service.

Please let me know what you find out.

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

Thanks for letting us know and for trying to send us a message. Here is a bit more detail on how you can reach us:

(Full credit to @BruceW for this excellent explanation!) 

"Search for Xfinity Support" won't work. To send a "Direct Messaging" message to Xfinity Support:

• Click "Sign In" if necessary

• Click the "Direct Messaging" icon or https://forums.xfinity.com/direct-messaging

• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

• The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Xfinity Support" there

•  - As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list

•  - An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line

• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

• Press Enter to send it

See https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/email/cant-create-a-new-email-address/605e52b726aa974d63032d02?commentId=606107ea738c7f46a02b830e for an example.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

6 Messages

@XfinityFrank​ seriously? It’s not a glitch it’s intentional. We are not stupid. 

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

11 months ago

This is an ongoing issue for several months now, and is not specific to a particular channel or program. It affects all recordings that include smart resume.  Please advise.

6 Messages

10 months ago

Exactly!  So I personally have other options and at the point they value customers so poorly I’m outta here. 

1 Message

10 months ago

Same here.  Ongoing issue for a few months.  The automatic fast-forward now stops when there are about 30 seconds left on the last commercial.  And for a lot of recordings, the commercials are no longer identified at all.

1 Message

10 months ago

Will Smart Resume ever get fixed? I asked on 8/30/23, why Xfinity chose to change the way its Xfinity Smart Resume service works. For years, the Smart Resume was delightful and allowed the customer to fast-forward through the commercials automatically.  

Smart Resume is still an offered service with Xfinity, but the fast-forward now stops when there are about 30 seconds left on the last commercial. Very annoying! We pay over $275 a month to Xfinity and have been a customer since 1999, and Xfinity has now reduced its value without a corresponding price reduction. This decision by Xfinity undoubtedly increases their profits by keeping the advertisers happy.

I finally received a definitive response to my August 30th inquiry in early November. From XfinityThomasA: “There is currently an ongoing issue with Smart Resume functionality, where fast-forward stops around 30-40 seconds before the program resumes. This is a known issue with no timeline for resolution currently. We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your patience as our team works towards a fix.  Xfinity is uncertain of the exact source specifically. However, our engineers are working hard with dedication and commitment to getting this fixed as quickly as possible.”

None of Xfinity’s responses have convinced me that this was not a deliberate decision by Xfinity. This most recent direct communication, from XfinityThomasA, should have been provided back in August instead of dragging it out by requiring me to provide much more information and examples. 

I am annoyed and disappointed with Xfinity. Contrary to Xfinity employee assurances, I DO NOT expect Xfinity to dedicate any resources to solving this problem.

6 Messages

Agreed. Their only motivation to do so would be for customer satisfaction which given the length of time it took for you to get a reply obviously is not their priority. 

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

Hello, @user_divbm8! Thank you for coming back and taking the time to share these details. I'm very sorry to hear how this experience has left you feeling, and I would love to see what we can do to help! Reviewing previous responses from the community and official employees, I see that someone mentioned a different known issue where after fast-forwarding through commercials, customers are returned to the program 30 - 40 seconds into the show, instead of being returned to the last 5 - 10 seconds of the commercial break as intended.

I'm not seeing a previous Direct Message between you and our Digital Care Team, but I would love to jump in and see what we can do! It's possible that some troubleshooting will lead to reporting your concerns to our engineering team (the more customers that do this, the more likely we are to narrow down and fix the cause of the issue). And you may have already taken steps like this, so I thank you in advance for your willingness to give us the opportunity to help once more. Could you please send our team a direct message to get started?

To send a direct message: 

• Ensure you are first signed in, then you will see a chat box icon at the top right of your page. Click that or follow this link here: https://forums.xfinity.com/direct-messaging 
  • From there, click the 'New Message' icon. In the 'To' field, type 'Xfinity Support'. 
  • Type your message in the text area that appears at the bottom of the window and hit enter to send. An official employee, such as myself or whoever is first available, will respond. 

To expedite your request, we ask that you please include your name and the service address alongside a detailed summary of your request/question. Thank you!

3 Messages

How flipping typical! Comcast/Xfinity could solve this if they cared anything about their paying customers. They just let it drag out instead of solving it, or telling us what is really going on.

Contributor

• 

196 Messages

9 months ago

This is  a "me too" post. We are seeing Smart Resume resume too early on all our X1 boxes. This has been going on for a few months. Hoping for a fix.

Problem Solver

• 

847 Messages

9 months ago

This is a known issue that Xfinity has acknowledged multiple times here in the forums. The issue is on their end regardless of what they say in this thread. It's been so long that at this point I feel it is an intentional change. 

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

9 months ago

I'm having the exact same issue and also believe it's intentional. The majority of the time, it stops for network ads so I believe it's a deal they must have made with the networks. Super frustrating for what we pay. 

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

@user_f07ff1 Smart Resume isn't available for all programs and networks, and we definitely would not be intentionally stopping at a certain point. Please review this article to learn more about Smart Resume, and it's when it can be used. Smart Resume for Fast-Forwarding Commercial Breaks in Select DVR Recordings

1 Message

8 months ago

Throwing my hat in the ring here... Been an Xfinity customer for about 3 years. Absolutely loved smart resume. About a year ago it stopped working correctly. Smart resume would stop fast forwarding with about 30 seconds left on commercials whereas previously it would stop fast forwarding right at the start of the program we were watching. Very frustrating. I hope they are able to resolve the issue. For reference we've noticed the issue in all stations for a variety of programs, including ones that worked fine previously. 

Official Employee

• 

4K Messages

Hello, @Revengejr! Thanks for reaching out to us on the forums! I apologize to hear that you are encountering this issue with the smart resume. I know how frustrating it can be to run into commercials while trying to watch your favorite programs! I would like to have a look into this and if we need to, get a ticket open. Can you please click the Direct Message icon at the top right of the page, click on the pen and pad icon, enter Xfinity Support in the "To" section of the chat, and provide us with your first/last name and full address so we may further assist you?

1 Message

8 months ago

Unless they provide the coding to prove this is not intentional on their end, then I will continue to believe it is intentional and they are giving their customers a big FU for their bottom line. They should just get rid of the service instead of lying and saying that they have no clue what their customers are complaining about. 

Why else would it work great before, like everyone has been posting and then all the sudden do the exact same thing with about 30 seconds early cutoff. I would bet you the Xfinity advertisers pay extra for that last 30 second advertising time. 

(edited)

Problem Solver

• 

847 Messages

8 months ago

I turned mine off as it is doing all the things mentioned. I think Xfinity needs to reset their clocks. 

Visitor

• 

9 Messages

Still angry.   While Smart Resume remains a service provided by Xfinity, there's a notable change where the fast-forward halts with approximately 30 seconds remaining on the final commercial. This alteration is quite frustrating. Considering our monthly payment of over $275 to Xfinity and our loyal customer status since 1999, it's disappointing that Xfinity has decreased the service's value without a corresponding reduction in cost. It seems evident that this decision by Xfinity serves to boost their profits by maintaining advertiser satisfaction.

Having been a loyal Xfinity customer for over two decades, I find myself deeply dissatisfied with their customer service. Additionally, it is frustrating to encounter misinformation, as opposed to the promised dedication of resources from Xfinity employees. Contrary to their assurances, I do not anticipate any meaningful effort from Xfinity to address this issue.

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

@jmurlowski Good morning! Thank you for taking the time to reach out to our Community Forums Team to bring your service concerns to our attention. I can see how it would be frustrating when your services aren't working properly, I would be frustrated as well. Our engineers are aware of the issue, and are working to resolve the issue as quickly as possible. I would like to be able to attach your issue to the concern. Can you please send a DM with your name, the service address, and the programming you are noticing the issue on? 

Click "Sign In" if necessary
Click the "Direct Messaging" icon at the top of the page (looks like a text bubble)
Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line
Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
Press Enter to send it

Visitor

• 

9 Messages

7 months ago

Subject: Concerns Regarding Xfinity Smart Resume Service Degradation

Dear Xfinity Support,

I trust this message finds you well. As per Xfinity's request, I have submitted the following inquiry via Direct Messaging and will also share it on the Xfinity Community Forum under >TV>X1>Xfinity Smart Resume.

Our inquiry into the Smart Resume functionality commenced on August 30, 2023. Since then, the following Official Xfinity Employees have dedicated their efforts to investigating the downgraded Xfinity Smart Resume service: XfinityKassie, XfinityDilary, XfinityJustinC, XfinityMichaelC, XfinityMartyR, XfinitySara, XfinityPeterH, and initially, XfinityFrank.

The Official Xfinity Employees have provided the following insights:

• We can get an investigation going on your particular issue though.
  • Our engineers are aware of the issue and are working to resolve the issue as quickly as possible.
  • We are aware of the smart resume issue and ask for users to send a direct message to gather information, so we can forward it to our engineer experts.
  • Smart Resume isn't available for all programs and networks, and we definitely would not be intentionally stopping at a certain point.
  • the best way to address this concern would be to report the specific programming affected and forward that information to our engineering team for review.

While Smart Resume remains, a service provided by Xfinity, it has been noted that the convenience to the consumer has significantly diminished. Presently, the fast-forward feature halts with precisely 30 seconds of commercials remaining, typically accommodating two short commercials. This alteration reduces the value of Smart Resume for consumers. As loyal customers since 1999, paying over $275 monthly, this change is both concerning and aggravating.

It is hoped that the information provided by Official Xfinity Employees is accurate, and any discrepancies stem from misinformation within Xfinity management. The decision to alter Smart Resume programming appears deliberate and may be perceived as a strategy to enhance profits by maintaining advertiser satisfaction.

Regrettably, this situation has led to dissatisfaction with Xfinity's customer service, compounded by encountering misinformation rather than the promised dedication of resources from Xfinity employees. Despite assurances, there is skepticism about the prospect of meaningful efforts from Xfinity to address this ongoing issue.

I appreciate your attention to this matter and look forward to a resolution that reinstates the expected functionality and value of the Xfinity Smart Resume service.

Official Employee

• 

1.6K Messages

@jmurlowski Thank you for keeping us posted so we can work together towards a resolution. I see you've sent a Direct Message so I'll continue helping from there. 

Visitor

• 

9 Messages

@XfinityEmilyB: I appreciate your prompt response eight days ago. I understand that resolving certain issues can be challenging, and I'm hopeful that we can work together to address the Smart Resume problem.

It seems like there might be a disconnect between customer expectations and the current situation. I believe a resolution would not only benefit me but also contribute to an enhanced customer experience for all Xfinity users.

I kindly request your assistance in escalating this matter or connecting me with someone who can take ownership and guide the resolution process. It's crucial for Xfinity to prioritize transparency, honesty, and customer service.

I understand that mistakes happen, and I trust that Xfinity is committed to rectifying them promptly. Your clarification on the situation would be greatly appreciated. Can you confirm whether this issue is indeed an oversight or if there has been a recent change in policy regarding Smart Resume?

Your efforts in resolving this matter are crucial for maintaining a positive customer-provider relationship. I look forward to your assistance and clarification on this matter.

Thank you for your time and attention.

Someone at Xfinity really needs to own this problem.

Possible reply #1:  "This is a mistake and Xfinity will fix it now since it has been a problem since August 30, 2023."

Possible reply #2:  "Xfinity made a business decision to reduce the value of Smart Resume for consumers, still allowing some fast forward through commercials will will begin to charge advertisers a premium by forcing consumers to watch the last 30 seconds of the commercial break.

Hopefully,

jmurlowski

1 Message

7 months ago

I have been battling this problem for several months. One clue that I can add to the database is that when I switched DVR boxes it appears that any recordings made using the old DVR now work perfectly. New recordings exhibit the same 30 second issue described in this thread. I also found it strange that while I was exchanging the DVRs, a regularly scheduled recording still got recorded, even though there was no DVR in my home. Just wondering if there is some document that describes how the system operates?

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

@user_qvdmug Good morning! Thank you for sharing your experiecing with our Community Forums Team, with your DVR and recordings. It's okay if you don't have a physical DVR box, or subscription. Most of our newer plans include 20 hours of cloud DVR storage. This way you can still record some programming without having a full subscription for the DVR services at 150 hours and 6 tuners. 

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-dvr-cloud-technology-general-faqs

1 Message

7 months ago

We have been experiencing this same issue for months. It's extremely irritating. Please please fix this! 

Official Employee

• 

748 Messages

Thank you so much for reaching out to us, @user_wqiw95! I do apologize for the inconvience with the Smart Resume concerns. At this time, our engineer partners are aware of the issue, and they are working as quickly as possible to resolve the Smart Resume feature. At this time, there is no time for having it fully resolved. Please let us know if you have any further questions/concerns. 

2 Messages

7 months ago

Recently, I’ve had both issues happening. On one show that I was watching, smart resume went about 30 to 40 seconds into the next part of the show. On other shows, which seems to be the more frequent problem, it makes you watch at least 2 to 3 network ads for upcoming shows. This has to be intentional because it’s not commercials, specifically designed to make you watch the ads for the upcoming shows on that network. I tried to toggle it often on, I tried doing a reset on my boxes and nothing has changed

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here