Spokane44's profile

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, October 24th, 2017 2:00 PM

Closed

Xfinity 4k - XG1v4 Cable Box Availability

Called Xfinity and asked about the availability of XG1v4 cable boxes at my location (WA state), which has the capability to stream 4k content through Netflix.  Was assured, with repeated confirmations, that they were available to the local service store, would just have to bring in my existing cable box and exchange it.  Bought a nice LG OLED TV, upgraded my Netflix account to receive Ultra HD, and took my box down to the local service center for exchange, per customer service direction.  You can probably guess what happened next - "sorry, we don't have any 4k boxes, don't know when we will".  Anyone else been misled by the Xfinity garbage customer service?  Went online to see what lies they convey on their website regarding this matter, and found this:  https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/uhd-4k-faqs/   More misleading BS.  Wanted to warn anyone else potentially in the same situation as myself not to believe anything you are told or read about the availability of XG1v4 boxes; go to your service center first to confirm.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Contributor

• 

157 Messages

6 years ago

what are the advantages of the 4k box as far as "linear programming" is concerend?  will it at least up convert the 720p channels?  can it at least convert the premium channels from sd to hd?  the only advantage i see is a 4k netflix... but 4k netflix has been readily availble for quite sometime via a roku...

Contributor

• 

157 Messages

6 years ago

when can i expect these changes to take into effect?  do you think xfinity will eventually convert those sd premiums into hd?

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

6 years ago

@Waqas1 wrote:

when can i expect these changes to take into effect?  do you think xfinity will eventually convert those sd premiums into hd?

it appears that 'channel' bandwidth is the issue (you can see HD TVland in TVgo sections of the portable devices for example). QAM transmission of video programming was an advanced technology when introduced but now is severely limited as compared to direct IPTV streaming. Nothing has been announced by Comcast but they are known to be the first major cable system to upgrade over technology changes. Will be great to watch the changes in next year or two.

Contributor

• 

33 Messages

6 years ago

I had to stop in to my local Comcast service center to drop off my replacement gateway and asked abt the 4K box. Currently the only viewable programming is on Netflix- which you will need to upgrade your Netflix subscription to the 4K option. And even with that there is only select program s offered. Also the 4K DVR box only has one hdmi out vs the x1 box also having an optical out.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

6 years ago

@Waqas1 wrote:

what are the advantages of the 4k box as far as "linear programming" is concerend?  will it at least up convert the 720p channels?  can it at least convert the premium channels from sd to hd?  the only advantage i see is a 4k netflix... but 4k netflix has been readily availble for quite sometime via a roku...

if the connection is HDCP 2.2 compliant the X1 can deliver 4k content (currently by Netflix), including UHD. The industry (all digital cable companies) are moving toward streaming info delivery which will eventually be in better quality like 1080p or better. The upscale of SD to HD doesn't exist however some local broadcast channels of Movies! MeTV and Antenna TV have AFD formatting which delivers nearly full screen SD on HD screens. 

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

6 years ago

@Anon641804 wrote:

I had to stop in to my local Comcast service center to drop off my replacement gateway and asked abt the 4K box. Currently the only viewable programming is on Netflix- which you will need to upgrade your Netflix subscription to the 4K option. And even with that there is only select program s offered. Also the 4K DVR box only has one hdmi out vs the x1 box also having an optical out.

Just wondering why you would want to use Toslink which is outmoded/limited/deprecated and has been replaced by digital HDMI with many more features/capabilities?

Contributor

• 

157 Messages

6 years ago

IPTV as in Xfinity stream?  xfinity stream is decent.. i don't know why they don't upgrade it (esp on Roku) to include the TVGO channels.. which are in hd... 

New Poster

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I'd like the new 4K dvr please.. will send PM with info. Thank you!

@CCElla wrote:

Hello all,

Just a reminder.  If you place an order through our team here on XFINITY Help & Support Forums  - we don't charge a shipping fee. However, when we send a new DVR cable box, the billing system automatically adds an "Additional Outlet" charge because you technically have two active DVR cable boxes on the account. As soon as you return the old DVR - the system will automatically prorate the charge and apply a credit. 

Please let me know if you have any questions. If you would like to get a 4K DVR please post publicly in this thread to enable the PM feature. Then please send me a private message with your full name, the account holder's name as it's listed on the billing statement, a phone or an account number. Click on my name ComcastElla, then click Send a message.  

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

6 years ago

@rmbgold22 wrote:

I'd like to get the 4K box, but I don't see the PM option when clicking on your name.

Did you click on the Comcast Ella shown in Blue on the post just before your's? Comcast employess work regular shifts like everyone else. She most likely needs to be a work to enable your PM before you can Message her, and she can help you.

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

I'd like to get the 4K box, but I don't see the PM option when clicking on your name.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

6 years ago

Adding to RoberyWy's post. The "Message" box will show when your PM is enabled to reply is enabled most likely sometime later today.

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

I see it now! Thanks guys

New Poster

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I would like to get a self install kit for the XG1v4...the 4k cable box. How do I do that?

New Poster

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Replying to enable PMs - will send information directly for new box order.  Thanks!

New Poster

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Replying for PM's.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here