CCGwen's profile

Contributor

• 

235 Messages

Monday, October 6th, 2014 2:00 PM

Closed

X1 Technical Issues

Welcome to the new "X1 Technical Issues" thread. We ask that you post all of your X1 related technical issues (Audio, Set Top Box, etc.) here. 

Below, you will find links to X1 Help articles that may assist you in resolving your technical issue:

Xfinity TV: Basic Troubleshooting

Find and Troubleshoot Error Codes

Thank you in advance for posting!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Contributor

• 

598 Messages

8 years ago

Hey TeriB !

I think it's sad that we even have to bother with RDK codes in the first place. I never even knew what one was in the old (read worked properly) pre-X1 system. It is way past time Comcast fixed the X1 product or rolled out a replacement system that works properly and makes the customers happy. Even if you find out what a particular RDK code means it is not likely to be of any use to you. Can anyone honestly say X1  is an improvement over pre-X1 ? It has many bells and whistles but is prone to so many stability and usability issues that they completely negate any benefits the new features provide. X1 is like an old Blue Volkswagen beetle I had that my Ex-wife called "The Blue Bunion". You could count on  it malfunctioning when you needed it most.  When the car dealer offered me $300 as I traded it in for a PInto, I cringed as the mechanic drove it away expecting it to blow up before I closed the deal.

The last couple of months have been really frustrating with "Channel available with subscription" messages and "DVR service Unavailable" and ... and... and...

Enough Already. Fix the product or give us one that works. If you can't fix it in two years then  it's time to consider alternatives. The ultimate goal is to allow the users to watch TV or recorded TV. What should be simple has been turned into a complicated nightmare. I expect that I will eventually have one of the box/software failures during one of the smarmy X1 commercials. This, at least, would show a certain kind of symmetry.

(I just heard a "Change the way you experience TV with X1 from Xfinity commerical while I was typing)

Made my day.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

8 years ago

@ComcastGwen wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

1.61.04 2/17/2016 and fw 2.2p7s1 on mx011an

new problem not seen before. 

an episode recorded during prime time and was interrupted (reboot due to 120 VAC dropping for a moment. the show continued recording about 5 minuts later as is normal and was in two segments. When I watched to the approx 3 minute point, not one but 2 windows popped up at same time, the first was the 'would you like to see the next segment (yes/no) and instantly 'you appear to have finished watching this recording would you like to delete it". I had two episodes at the time, and after answering 'no' i then got the would you like to see the next episode (yes/no). by the time I answered that 2nd popup, the timer for the 'next segment' had expired. So I tried again got same messages. I then marked it as unwatched still same problem. I had to really work to answer the questions quickly before the next segment view disappeared. 

help!

Hi Rustyben,

Would you happen to have the name of the program and the day on which it recorded?

Thanks!

Gwen

no, sorry. I know why the recording was interrupted. I'm reporting the new issue that the system is asking to delete since watched in error. this is no different than accidently hitting record while watching a recorded show and getting the regular prompts asking just this episode or all episodes.

Contributor

• 

3.1K Messages

8 years ago

@BeowolfJones wrote:

Hey TeriB !

I think it's sad that we even have to bother with RDK codes in the first place. I never even knew what one was in the old (read worked properly) pre-X1 system. It is way past time Comcast fixed the X1 product or rolled out a replacement system that works properly and makes the customers happy. Even if you find out what a particular RDK code means it is not likely to be of any use to you. Can anyone honestly say X1  is an improvement over pre-X1 ? It has many bells and whistles but is prone to so many stability and usability issues that they completely negate any benefits the new features provide. X1 is like an old Blue Volkswagen beetle I had that my Ex-wife called "The Blue Bunion". You could count on  it malfunctioning when you needed it most.  When the car dealer offered me $300 as I traded it in for a PInto, I cringed as the mechanic drove it away expecting it to blow up before I closed the deal.

The last couple of months have been really frustrating with "Channel available with subscription" messages and "DVR service Unavailable" and ... and... and...

Enough Already. Fix the product or give us one that works. If you can't fix it in two years then  it's time to consider alternatives. The ultimate goal is to allow the users to watch TV or recorded TV. What should be simple has been turned into a complicated nightmare. I expect that I will eventually have one of the box/software failures during one of the smarmy X1 commercials. This, at least, would show a certain kind of symmetry.

(I just heard a "Change the way you experience TV with X1 from Xfinity commerical while I was typing)

====

We are getting more and more DVR not available messages even when the DVR is working fine EXCEPT for the delete issue which is worse and worse. You are spot on that they are into too many bells and whistles and the basic features and stability are going downhill fast and they just don't care to address let alone fix them.

Made my day.

Regular Contributor

• 

388 Messages

8 years ago

@BeowolfJones wrote:

Made my day.

Yes, X1 has definitely changed the way I experience TV.  Used to be able to just watch TV with no problems.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

8 years ago

ok the new firmware fixed a lot of stuck windows but of course it broke something else (or am i the only one?).

when you have 2 episodes (like mine was modern family) and select the lowest episode number and finish it, delete it, you get a popover window asking if you want to play the next episode. if you answer yes, you get a new box that will NOT dismiss 'sorry, we're having some trouble. This program is not available to watch at the moment. Please try again in a few minutes. XRE-22 VOD 7002 (note!!! Video on Demand??)

standard cycle into and out of power save removes it but geez why does one bug when patched give you another bug?

Contributor

• 

598 Messages

8 years ago

@Rustyben wrote:

ok the new firmware fixed a lot of stuck windows but of course it broke something else (or am i the only one?).

when you have 2 episodes (like mine was modern family) and select the lowest episode number and finish it, delete it, you get a popover window asking if you want to play the next episode. if you answer yes, you get a new box that will NOT dismiss 'sorry, we're having some trouble. This program is not available to watch at the moment. Please try again in a few minutes. XRE-22 VOD 7002 (note!!! Video on Demand??)

standard cycle into and out of power save removes it but geez why does one bug when patched give you another bug?

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

I believe the answer is that Comcast has several different groups of programmers working on various parts of the X1 product. The problem with this is what Strother Martin said to Paul Newman in "Cool Hand Luke", "What we have here is a failure to communicate" ! The other scenario is that the programmers are just a bunch of incompetent boobs, working in a test tube environment sequestered from any contact or knowledge of the real outside world.

I can tell you that a failure to communicate is too often the problem in large organizations. I had a major project stalled for months because the department the software was for kept changing the rules and dribbling out the requirements, piece by piece while time kept passing. Some of the requirements for the software that were finally revealed were bombshells in that they required a complete rewrite of the design concept and the programming to support it. "Oh, by the way, can you make it do this ?" BOOM ! start all over from the beginning.

All we as users can see is the results of X1 programming and the endless software upgrades/downgrades/patches that don't ever reach a state of being a reliable, stable product. Comcast needs to find someone with enough ability to pull this mess into a coherent piece of software routines that work in harmony and produce the desired result.

1. It works all the time

2. It makes the users happy

3. It is a actual improvement on the old pre-X1 system.

This all seems like a no-brainer but as we all know X1  works like  no-brainers programmed it. We just get more Whack -a-Mole fixes that seem to be in endless supply.

If a good bullet-proof set of programs is like a solid block of Cheddar cheese then the X1 system is the Swiss cheese of program suites. 

Regular Contributor

• 

388 Messages

8 years ago

And I think the moral of this story is that X1 is still in beta. Anyway, it feels like every other beta release that I have participated in, only I didn't have to pay for those.

Contributor

• 

3.1K Messages

8 years ago

@CoreyD wrote:
And I think the moral of this story is that X1 is still in beta. Anyway, it feels like every other beta release that I have participated in, only I didn't have to pay for those.

OMG....LONGEST beta in history!  I don't mind being a guinea pig but to pay????

Contributor

• 

3.1K Messages

8 years ago

@Rustyben wrote:

I want to make sure I understand something about this release. Is the popup window asking if I want to play the next episode supposed to work from the recordings list? I am making that assumption because if it were On Demand there would be no deleting of an episode by the user. I ask this because I have the new release and have never ever been asked if I wan to play the next epidsode so what I am missing?

Regular Contributor

• 

388 Messages

8 years ago

@TerriB wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

I want to make sure I understand something about this release. Is the popup window asking if I want to play the next episode supposed to work from the recordings list? I am making that assumption because if it were On Demand there would be no deleting of an episode by the user. I ask this because I have the new release and have never ever been asked if I wan to play the next epidsode so what I am missing?

There is a setting somewhere, I just cant remember where, to turn on and off the next episode prompt.

Contributor

• 

3.1K Messages

8 years ago

@CoreyD wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

There is a setting somewhere, I just cant remember where, to turn on and off the next episode prompt.

I think I remember seeing that settting so I will look for it...thanks!

Contributor

• 

598 Messages

8 years ago

@TerriB wrote:

@CoreyD wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

I think I remember seeing that settting so I will look for it...thanks!

Comcast Labs - Autoplay next episode.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

8 years ago

@Rustyben wrote:

xre 1.62.01 fixed this problem.

Regular Contributor

• 

496 Messages

8 years ago

@tctc wrote:

I have 1.62.01 and I still have the "play the next episode" bug.

Who do I have to pay to get this fixed?  (ha...)

what bug is this?

Contributor

• 

539 Messages

8 years ago

I have 1.62.01 and I still have the "play the next episode" bug.

Who do I have to pay to get this fixed?  (ha...)

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here