binaural2000's profile

Contributor

• 

37 Messages

Wednesday, February 24th, 2021 6:00 AM

Closed

X1 dvr recording limit changes/problems?

I’m so confused about what is going on with my x1 this morning. I have 2 x1 dvr boxes, percentage full has consistently stayed around 22-25% full the last several months with around 130 recordings give or take. All of a sudden this morning, my system says 91% full. There is a new notice in my menu saying you are limited to 150 hours of recordings and do I want to upgrade for another $10 a month?
What is going on? Did this pop up out of nowhere for anyone? I don’t recall seeing any notices of major changes or anything. I already have 2 x1 dvrs, the official Comcast site says I should then already have the “300 hour limit” due to that. I’m so confused what is happening, why my system changed so drastically overnight, and why it is trying to get me to “upgrade” to something I should already be getting. Does anyone have any advice what I should do? Just thought I’d try posting here first as I am dreading having to call in for this if it’s a new issue that isn’t even known much yet or not.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

541 Messages

3 years ago

@coopdewluc, your 2-year agreement covers the price of your plan (Double Play, Triple Play, etc). However, equipment, taxes, and fees are subject to change during the term of the agreement. When this happens we notify customers on their bill statement at least 30 days in advance of the change taking place.

This change refers to Cloud storage specifically, as another Forums member indicated above. If Cloud DVR storage becomes full and you attempt to record additional programming, the same rules would apply, that it will delete the oldest recording(s) to make space available.

For more information, you can visit: https://comca.st/3soM7go

In this article, among other great information, it explains the difference here:

Stored Recordings

Storage Capacity: Currently, your X1 DVR can record approximately 150 total hours of HD and/or SD programming on the hard drive, and 150 hours of Cloud DVR storage per X1 DVR.

You can purchase additional Cloud DVR storage hours with or without DVR equipment in the home by contacting us. In some areas, you can upgrade your DVR service from your X1 TV Box by going to Main Menu > Saved > Recordings > Upgrade DVR Plan (located below the list of recorded programs).

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

I'm not sure what the point of sending a private message is. Since there is now more than 40 replies on this issue, it shows it is not an isolated issues. I am certainly not paying another $10.00 to have the same storage I have paid for during my 1 1/2 years after switching to Xfinity. Even though when I switched in July 2019, I had a 2 year price guarantee, the rates just increased by almost $18.00 for increases in all of our equipment. I will looking into alternatives (streaming or different cable company etc) when my 2 year agreement comes due in July. 

This needs to be looked into and fixed. If I end up losing recordings over this nonsense, I will be a VERY unhappy customer.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I am in the Boston area, it seems my DVR space was increased today, previous I had used about 80% of my capacity and now I am only at 32%.  It doesn't seem to me that anything I have recorded has been deleted.  I know it was announced last summer that space was increasing, did this just take affect in my area?

Problem Solver

• 

1.1K Messages

3 years ago

Great question! Our Premium DVR service includes 300 hours of Cloud storage and is available for $20 per month a la carte, or an additional $10 per month if you already have existing DVR service. 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

541 Messages

3 years ago

Good morning, and thank you for reaching out through our Communities Forum today! There have been recent changes to the DVR storage capability, primarily with the Cloud DVR storage. You can visit https://comca.st/3bCVQc7 for more information on X1 DVR storage, including the difference between your local storage and Cloud DVR storage. This link has a ton of great information, so let me know if there's anything more I can help answer for you once you've had the chance to look it over! 

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

Do I only have access to 150 hours of cloud storage if I purchase increasing storage from 150 to 300 hours

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

So this means that the storage capacity of the DVR changed if it now only holds 150 hours of SD. I always record in SD and could get 250 hours. So now we have to pay $10 more to get our storage back! That’s crazy and not good to keep customers.

Regular Visitor

• 

17 Messages

3 years ago

So what is the cost?

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

3 years ago

Hi @photo_girl3, we'd be happy to look at area specific pricing to see what the cost would be to increase the DVR storage on your account. Can you please send me a Private Message including your first and last name as it appears on the account? To send me a Private Message, please click my name “ComcastAlyssa” and click “Send a message."

Contributor

• 

133 Messages

3 years ago

@Jct777 wrote:
So this means that the storage capacity of the DVR changed if it now only holds 150 hours of SD. I always record in SD and could get 250 hours. So now we have to pay $10 more to get our storage back! That’s crazy and not good to keep customers.

The following is just my current theory on what may be changing ...

BEFORE: For customers who have physical hard drive based DVRs and not one of the newer cloud only based accounts ... The % used on the saved screen was based on actual hard drive usage with backups on the cloud.  Was the cloud limit capped at 150 hours per DVR or just a complete copy of the hard drive contents which was capped by storage capacity?  The DVR might hold 100 hours of MPEG2 HD vs 200 hours MPEG4 HD.  You may be able to fit 250 to 300 hours of SD on the DVR.  I don't know how much would still back up to the cloud though as I never got that full

NOW: Instead of actual hard drive space, it sounds like possibly the DVR % usage may end up being based on minutes/hours used.  Each program stored on the hard drive lists the length of the program.  It may be now that we get 150 hours per physical DVR on the boxes and cloud.  So if you record 150 hours of SD programming on the actual hard drive it may only fill 70% of the DVR, but may report you hit 100% and start deleting old programs.  I'm thinking Comcast did their best estimate to calcualte 150 hours is pretty close to a full hard drive with mixed content as opposed to MPEG2 HD vs SD.

One way to test my above theory is to eventually record 150 hours of SD (which should not fill the DVR) and see if it reports back 100% usage

Official Employee

• 

1.6K Messages

3 years ago

Hello, @amybth, thank you for reaching out in our Forum, I can definitely help with your DVR concerns. I love being able to watch all my shows and movies when I want, which is usually my weekend lol. So I totally get where you're coming from. In order to get started can you please send me a private message with your full name? To send a private message, click my name "ComastMarcos", then click "send message".

Contributor

• 

72 Messages

3 years ago

What’s the point? I’m not paying one more dime on my already $270 bill! So I had no choice but to already delete half of my recordings! That way I choose what to delete rather than the system doing it like the Comcast message said it would do! I was at around 47%, all SD, and right before my eyes the system shot it up to 91% along with the $10 ransom fee! After 20 years of being blindsided and astronomical bills while losing channels on top of in reases?! No. I’m done. I refuse to be treated this anymore.
I’m disabled and this is my only form of entertainment! After all these years I deserve to be treated like a valued customer! We all do!
So no. After removing the ID channel and all the different stories and excuses given, depending on which rep we all spoke to, for almost 2 years and now this?? I refuse to be given anymore runarounds and pay anymore money...
But hey, you can say you tried. I’m just not falling for it anymore from this company.

Contributor

• 

72 Messages

3 years ago

This doesn’t explain why or how my 46% saved SD recordings suddenly jumped to 91% in a matter of minutes, finding out that my recordings were going to disappear unless I paid your $10 dvr ransom!
I deleted half my recordings I had wanted to watch and refuse to give you people one more dime!
This rollout or whatever it is you’re doing is outrageous!! My bill is at $271 already after 2 increases in one year! The minute I find other options I’m done with Comcast!!
20 years a customer to be treated like this AGAIN?! You’re customer service just keeps getting worse every year! Worse? You know it!! That’s why the giant ad campaign years ago about putting us first! It was a joke then and more of a joke now!

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

my dvr percentage went from around 69% to 84% last night with no new shows being recorded. In addition I have been deleting old and new recordings and the percentage is not going down. It doesn't seem to want to budge. I'm confused by this since the deletion of the newer shows should be freeing up space on the dvr, correct?  You think Comcast would notify its millions of customers when they start messing around with recording configurations that we are currently paying for...

New Poster

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Hi - we also just saw our script storage was cut in half - with a new to upgrade - to go back to the storage we used to have. We had 300. Now it’s half that. Our percent full went from about 22-23% to 55%.

It’s pretty shady to play this game. I believe it’s called bait and switch. I will NOT pay for the storage I already had.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here