U

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

Friday, September 10th, 2021 1:28 AM

Closed

X1 DVR playback issues

My X1 DVR playback is either pixelated or stops part way through a program and errors out and returns to regular TV.  This happens multiple times per day.

Official Employee

• 

800 Messages

3 years ago

Uh oh, @user_430c9e! I know DVR issues are really frustrating! Have you already done any basic troubleshooting? Our Reddit page has a really excellent checklist :) 

If you've already done some troubleshooting, can you please let us know what has been done? 

We appreciate you taking the time to reach out and look forward to assisting you further! 

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

3 years ago

I have tried to restart the box and checked all the cables - it continues to happen.

Contributor

• 

350 Messages

Thank for getting back to us right away. I'm terribly sorry that this has become an issue. Can you do this for me, in this order? Unplug the coaxial cable from the primary receiver first, and then the power cable. Wait 60 seconds, then screw in the coaxial cable first (make sure the connection is finger tight), then the power cable. Once both are plugged in, allow the time to boot and let me know what happens. Sometimes quick steps like these, can fix issues such as this. 

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

This did not work - I am still having the issue.  I am also experiencing a translucent black strip on the screen that goes away when I restart the box. 

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

Same here! The troubleshooting (shut down/reboot) does nothing to help. Are these DVR units faulty?

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

@user_430c9e Thank you so much for trying the steps above. Before the programming 'errors' out do you see any error message or code? If so what does it read? If not, we can help in replacing your box by checking out your signals and helping you decide on the most convenient way to swap your box if needed. To start please send us a direct message to Xfinity Support with your full name and service address to get started.

@relfstrand 

Sorry to hear you are also experiencing issues with your equipment. Are you also experiencing the pixelation or the black stripe on the screen? Can you tell us a little bit more about what is going on and what you have tried so far? 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

1 Message

Well said. I am having the same issue. I have tried all the re-connection of cables. Restarted … its almost as if Internet connection is drops during dvr recordings and/or defect in dvr unit. Its not even worth it to watch a recorded show because you miss so much. 

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

@XfinityEva  - What is the best way to contact XFinitySupport - I am having trouble- I would just like to have a new box sent to my house.

New Problem Solver

• 

617 Messages

I appreciate you sharing with me what you have already tried! Your efforts do not go unnoticed. Please send me a Peer to Peer message so that I can gather some account details. 

Here's the detailed steps to direct message us: 
 • Click "Sign In" if necessary
 • Click the "Peer to peer chat" icon (upper right corner of this page)
 • Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
 • Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list
 • Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
 • Press Enter to send your message

I no longer work for Comcast.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I too am having the same issues with recordings playback. Pixelation,  freezing. It doesn't appear anywhere else. We are new to xfinity, just a week or so. It looks like the only issues are with the recording playbacks.

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

Hello, @user_87b9c4! Thanks for connecting with us here! Welcome to the Xfinity family! I'm sorry for the trouble with the recorded playbacks. I'd like to take a closer look at the account. Can you please provide your name and address in a Direct Message? I look forward to the message. 

To start a Direct Message: Click "Sign in" if necessary

• Click the "Direct Message" icon (upper right corner of this page)

• Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list

• Press Enter to send your message.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

My Beta app on LG TV freezes every 45 seconds or so during playback. This has been going on for a while. So much so I just received new equipment. X1 cable box DVR and Modem. Still happening. Very very Frustrating. Please advise. 

Problem Solver

• 

574 Messages

Hi, @user_691528! I can imagine how frustrating it must be to have this ongoing issue. Is the LG TV connected to the DVR that was recently replaced?

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

No. Beta app on LG TV playing recorded show . 

Problem Solver

• 

828 Messages

@user_691528

I'd like to do some trouble shooting on my side to look deeper into this. To protect your privacy, could you please send me a direct message with your full name and address? To send a direct message, click the chat icon in the upper right, then click the pen/pad looking icon, and lastly Xfinity Support. Thank you. 

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

Searched your name. Didn't come up 

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

3 years ago

We are also having problems with some DVR recordings not playing properly.  It's intermittent - some recordings work just fine, others done the same day will not play. When you select the recording it just stays with a black screen.  If we fast forward at 3X or higher speed we eventually see the recorded picture...but it's frozen, it will not play from that point forward, nor can you rewind. We've tried doing a system reset, that has not solved the problem.

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

3 years ago

I'm having the same problem.  Sometimes a generic error message (we encountered a problem - Try again) or it simply quits and sends you back to the main page.  In nearly all instances you must start from the beginning and try to figure out where you were in the program.  Comcast insists that the problem is my modem isn't compatible with their cloud dvr.  I'll call BS since I've had 3 other streaming services that had no issues.  My modem is a TP-Link TC7650 Docsis 3.0 (24x8) and I'm using Xfinity Stream.  Now even some live programs are doing the same thing.  I've talked to 6 people at Comcast that all swear that it's the modem and say my only solution is to use "their" modem.  I've replaced the DVR box mulltiple times (why are we even using a box if this is all cloud content?).  Evidently this isn't a problem that Comcast is interested in fixing (like any other problems).  Keep lowering the bar Comcast.

Problem Solver

• 

571 Messages

Hi, @crball I am very sorry for the frustrating experience this has been. I would like to investigate this further with you. Do you experience the error message will streaming on all devices? Does this happen as well from the actual DVR box? 

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

@crball , this keeps happening to me as well. I called tech support today and after 45 minutes, the guy still didn't understand what I was talking about and said I was the only person who ever experienced the problem. It was insulting. A tech is coming tomorrow and I will post a comment if this gets resolved. The problem is that it doesn't happen every single time, and sometime only happens after I am an hour into a show, so the tech may not be able to reproduce the problem.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

I’ve been through this for months and did all of the recommended steps.  It gets SLIGHTLY better for a short time and then back to the same thing. It’s worse now than ever…Xfinity is definitely not worth what I’m paying them ever month for this frustration and inability for them to fix it.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

I too have been experiencing the same problems as everyone above has mentioned, and also have tried unplugging the cable and power cords.  It helps for a short time and then starts doing it again.  Incredibly frustrating.  How do I get a new box?  

Problem Solver

• 

606 Messages

I'm sorry to hear that you are continuing to have issues with your DVR. I would like to take a look, could you please send our team a direct message with your full name and full address? Our team can most definitely take a further look at this issue.

To send a "Peer to peer" ("Private") message:

Click "Sign In" if necessary

• Click the "Peer to peer chat" icon

• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line

• Press Enter to send it

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

3 years ago

We have the Comcast modem, so having their modem does not solve the problem.  Comcast, what do you have to say about this problem???

Visitor

• 

18 Messages

3 years ago

Hello! I have Comcast WiFi and cable. I too have been experiencing the pixelated playback on recordings, along with sound gaps. I quite often receive error messages saying something to the effect “sorry but there’s an issue with playback” and sometimes it jumps to the peacock version of the recorded DVR show. This is frustrating! Help…

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

Hello @user_7a91f7 and thank you for your feedback about your playback recordings. Having issues with your reception and sound would be frustrating indeed and never something we want you to deal with.

Have you already done any basic troubleshooting? Our Reddit page has a really excellent checklist :) 

If you've already done some troubleshooting, can you please let us know what has been done? 

You are in good hands with us and we will continue to help 24/7! 

Visitor

• 

18 Messages

I have used the web & app suggested means to troubleshoot & the reboot etc. have helped with the frequency of the issues however they have not been eradicated completely. Yesterday, all of the DVR programs went to solid blue. Gave up and went to peacock for those that where there. 

Problem Solver

• 

892 Messages

I am sorry to hear that you are still experiencing issues with your DVR playback @user_7a91f7. Are you still experiencing issues? 

Visitor

• 

18 Messages

I have gone through the suggested trouble shooting noted and shared. Yes, still experiencing issues. The frequency has lessened and types are varied, sound gaps now appear to be gone, along with the constant pixelization issues, but rarely do I get to see a DVR recording without them. Most common error message now is "try again later" when it stops altogether.

Official Employee

• 

933 Messages

I'd like to take a closer look. Can you send me a private message with your address and name? 

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

I have the same issue. Can someone help? Tech support didn't understand what I was talking about.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I hate to pile on here but I too have been experiencing issues with DVR playback. I was having the pixelation happening but that has automagically stopped so now I'm just getting the intermittent error message and boot back to regular TV. Seems to me that Comcast has a real issue here and should be addressing it asap. 

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

@user_816f86    You understand you're taking about Comcast here, right?

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

We are experiencing the same issue. Dvr recordings are usually poor quality and glitchy/pixelated. Sometimes they freeze or won't let us fast forward past a certain point. We were forced to get this new box we could take advantage of using Disney+ via the box. It's been nothing but garbage since we changed it. 

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

I had Comcast out here twice last week and it is finally fixed. I would recommend getting an appointment.

(edited)

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

@cbinsac1313 What was the fix when the technician came out?

I have an appointment scheduled for 11/26.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

I have the same problem with my DVR, it stops and I get a message saying there are issues with the playback, then it rewinds about 5 minutes to a scene I've already seen and I have to watch it again.  It's annoying but I just live through it.  I'm constantly wondering where the DVR is going to cut off at some point.  I've tried everything Comcast is suggesting, it doesn't work.

Problem Solver

• 

606 Messages

I'm sorry to hear that you are also having issues with your DVR. I would like to take a look, could you please send our team a direct message with your full name and full address? Our team can most definitely take a further look at this issue.

To send a "Peer to peer" ("Private") message:

Click "Sign In" if necessary

• Click the "Peer to peer chat" icon

• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line

• Press Enter to send it

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

Has anyone found a solution? I see a lot of complaints but it appears as though this issue has not been resolved. This is so frustrating! 

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

@user_111591​ If you are using the 4K box, that is the problem. I got rid of the 4K box because of the same issues and went back to an older HD box and the problem you described went away.

it seems that Xfinity is issuing X1 boxes that they cannot support.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

@user_111591​ we started a chat with support and they just sent us a new cable box. It's worked great since then. 

Official Employee

• 

933 Messages

@user_111591 If you're having the same issues, send me a direct message with your address and name.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

I am having the same issues. Very frustrating.

Problem Solver

• 

409 Messages

Thank you for bringing this to our attention through our Forums, and thank you for your patience while awaiting our response. I understand you've been experiencing some trouble with your TV equipment, and I can most definitely imagine the inconvenience behind this. Rest assured; you're with the pros, and our Digital Care Team is here to help, every step of the way!

Can you please send us a private message, including your full name, and your full address? You can do so, by clicking on the chat icon, in the top right hand corner of your screen, and once you click on that icon, you should be able to search "Xfinity Support", which should then give you the ability to send us a message. Thank you in advance, and I look forward to speaking with you! 

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

Let me describe some issues we have experienced since our older (larger) X1 DVR died and was replaced with a small unit:

* After watching the same channel for about 3 hours, we paused playing for a couple a minutes. When we unpaused, the playback jumped backed several hours, maybe to the point we turned to the channel. We fast forwarded to where we left the program we were watching. However, each time we paused the program, it jumped back to the same early point.  This happened until we went to a different channel.  We were not recording any program during this sequence.  We have not tried to repeat the sequence.

* We are currently watching a channel live of a second program in a row that we marked to record.  We are about 40 minutes behind. We have been watching the second program from the start, about 35 minutes in.  At this point we can not pause the program. We can not back up before this point. We fast forwarded about 5 minutes and then were able to pause and backup the 5 minutes.  This leads to a bunch of questions of how record works on this new box?

Are the “rules” for record/playback different?  If so please change them back.

Official Employee

• 

6.9K Messages

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, @Courtmr! I can see why this would be frustrating. I'd like to take a deeper look into this. Please send a direct message with your name and service address to "Xfinity Support" by clicking on the "Direct Messaging" chat icon in the top right corner of the page, then click on the pen and pad icon and enter "Xfinity Support" in the "To" section of the chat. 

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

I will connect to support as directed soon.  The 1st issue reoccurred last night.

And another difference between the old “box” and new has been seen. Previously if we missed the start of a recorded show upon selecting the channel, we were able to rewind to the beginning of the recording.  Now it appears that if we miss a portion, we need to go to the recording.  Inconvenient, at best.

I appreciate the need for more exacting troubleshooting, and am willing to assist.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here