KatoftheFuzzySocks's profile

Contributor

• 

41 Messages

Sunday, October 21st, 2018 9:00 AM

Closed

X1 Box cannot pause or rewind live tv, screensaver no longer shows traffic, news or weather feed

Posting to find out if other customers are having the same problem (yes a tech has been out. We believe it is a bug in configuration).  

When watching live tv and hit pause, one of 4 things happens:

a. Nothing at all

b. No pause but a blue circle with a slash through it and message that set top box does not support feature

c. one out of 20 times will actually pause but then jump straight back to "live"

d. Same as C only no audio will play until I hit "exit" button although it was never paused to begin with.

When trying to rewind the surprise options are:

a. Nothing at all

b. Jumps immediately to Live tv going FORWARD (note, this is like hitting the lottery because it means the pause actually worked)

c. No response at all and blue circle with slash through it saying set top box does not support

This has happened within the last 3 days.  Was normal prior to this.

As of yesterday, the screen saver ceased showing the usual data for local construction updates, weather forecasts that was quite useful actually. Now just current temperature and time.  Was this a Comcast Labs thing that went away?

Anyone else experiencing this?  My box is on release version 91.0.3 dated 10/09/2018.  The firmware was manually updated yesterday by Comcast to see if there was corruption of some sort, but nothing changed.

I am not planning to swap boxes until there is a totally new box design plus I have a lot of unwatched shows on the hard drive and cloud, more than the extremely limited 60 hours that Comcast will retain when you change (what is up with that, btw?  It's not truly cloud storage if you can't move to a different device and still see the same thing. That 60 hours also appears to be why the Xfinity Stream apps never ever match what is actually showing on your Cloud DVR menu, just a random assortment of one show from this series, 3 from another not in any consecutive order)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

6 years ago

If you refuse to swap the box, you can’t continue to troubleshoot. It sounds like the box is failing

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

6 years ago

@Chassiskat wrote:
PX013AN_3.2p4s1_PROD_sey

And no, only 1 box

bummers. The xg1v3 DVR you have has lost contact with its installed memory card and it is not accessable to us customers.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

6 years ago

@Chassiskat wrote:

Posting to find out if other customers are having the same problem (yes a tech has been out. We believe it is a bug in configuration).  

When watching live tv and hit pause, one of 4 things happens:

a. Nothing at all

b. No pause but a blue circle with a slash through it and message that set top box does not support feature

c. one out of 20 times will actually pause but then jump straight back to "live"

d. Same as C only no audio will play until I hit "exit" button although it was never paused to begin with.

When trying to rewind the surprise options are:

a. Nothing at all

b. Jumps immediately to Live tv going FORWARD (note, this is like hitting the lottery because it means the pause actually worked)

c. No response at all and blue circle with slash through it saying set top box does not support

This has happened within the last 3 days.  Was normal prior to this.

As of yesterday, the screen saver ceased showing the usual data for local construction updates, weather forecasts that was quite useful actually. Now just current temperature and time.  Was this a Comcast Labs thing that went away?

Anyone else experiencing this?  My box is on release version 91.0.3 dated 10/09/2018.  The firmware was manually updated yesterday by Comcast to see if there was corruption of some sort, but nothing changed.

I am not planning to swap boxes until there is a totally new box design plus I have a lot of unwatched shows on the hard drive and cloud, more than the extremely limited 60 hours that Comcast will retain when you change (what is up with that, btw?  It's not truly cloud storage if you can't move to a different device and still see the same thing. That 60 hours also appears to be why the Xfinity Stream apps never ever match what is actually showing on your Cloud DVR menu, just a random assortment of one show from this series, 3 from another not in any consecutive order)

do you have another x1 set top box in the home? using voice remote say "about" what is the model number shown to right of STB Version?

Contributor

• 

41 Messages

6 years ago

PX013AN_3.2p4s1_PROD_sey

And no, only 1 box

Contributor

• 

41 Messages

6 years ago

Any other checks I can run to verify if this is the case? All other functions are normal, and the pause and rewind work fine on recorded shows.

Contributor

• 

41 Messages

6 years ago

I should also add my technician is having rewind issues on his own box, although not an exact match to mine they are similar.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Comcast Employee - The box failing is a fall back excuse.  My box (miraculously - as of yesterday - that I noticed) also stopped showing news, traffic, weather.  It now only shows the time and the temperature.  This is not a situation of the box failing.  This is an update that Xfinity / Comcast has made recently.  Do not go putting that off on the boxes errors as something you do not know how to fix so that we will be forced to update to new boxes we do not want.  (Not trying to be confrontational, just don't like to hear what sound like excuses)  I do understand the other customers box may be failing due to the other issues they listed, but the situation of the news and sports, traffic and local weather disappearing is NOT due to my box failing.  It is clear that this is a recent development, possibly due to a glitch in the latest update.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

6 years ago

Serenity7-
I was referring more to the ability of pausing and rewinding as being a possible box failure. I work in the field, it’s not an excuse. If it was a box update it would affect more than a handful. There’s been updates/changes to the screensavers, there’s nothing wrong with it.

Contributor

• 

41 Messages

6 years ago

Pausing and rewinding issue is only on live tv and it has a handy little software program reponse (see attachment) that seems to imply this is a software configuration issue. (Could be communication but no evidence so far and tech having similar issue, hence my question to all forum users).

2 Attachments

Contributor

• 

41 Messages

6 years ago

Today the pause is working partially. It will pause but when you unpause (using pause/play button) it jumps ahead to live tv. So that issue not resolved.

Rewind live tv fast forwarded once when I tried it, and then went back to saying it is not supported by this box.

Contributor

• 

41 Messages

6 years ago

Latest update: Everything is working normally again. Interesting.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

my remote stopped rewinding and pausing could it be because the batteries are low

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

5 years ago

@kmcduffe wrote:

my remote stopped rewinding and pausing could it be because the batteries are low

when you press pause or rewind, what color(s) does the remote LED blink?

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Yes. agreed about saying the box is failing. My box was installed 4 days ago. And today is not rewinding or pausing. It can't be failing after 4 days.

Regular Visitor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

My analysis:

Until two or three days ago,  we were able to pause and rewind any live TV program using any of our X1 set top boxes:  DVR, Master box, X1 DTAs.

Comcast obviously made a change that adversely affected end users and did not announce it or warn customers about the change.   Typical for Comcast.

Customers need this feature.  If viewing is interrupted by a phone call, doorbell or bio break, pausing allows the customer to avoid missing program content.  If the customer 'missed' what was said in a live program, rewinding allows the customer to hear the content again.

The only workaround is to 'record' all shows you watch and then access the show via the Xfinity -- Saved -- For You page. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here