Favorite999's profile

Contributor

• 

42 Messages

Wednesday, March 2nd, 2022 6:54 PM

Closed

TV remote commands need internet connection? Error RDK-03033

XR11 remote sometimes can't get a command executed with my DVR 'PAD' box.  Will show RDK-03033 error saying can't find internet connection - while channel is still playing fine.  Just can't take any input from remote.   If v&a is connecting and XR11 wants to change a box function, why does that need an internet connection. 

I'm a C'cast broadband subscriber, but if I were Not and DID NOT have internet service my remote would still be able to control my cable TV service, right?  So why the internet error for a cable remote malfunction?

Contributor

• 

31 Messages

2 years ago

I have the same problem. Kitchen and bedroom tvs are fine but main living room xfinity tells me there is problem connecting to internet. Started just this morning. I unplugged and restarted multiple times. Problem persists

Contributor

• 

31 Messages

@timc128​ Sorry, my problem doesn't seem to be the remote. I don't get any picture at all - just the message (same as above screenshot) to check connections and check for service outages, which there don't seem to be any in my area.

Official Employee

• 

890 Messages

@timc128 Thank you for reaching out on the Xfinity Forums, are you still experiencing an issue with the TV services at this time? 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

2 years ago

Hello, @Favorite999. I'm sorry to hear you've been experiencing issue with the voice feature on our XR11 remote. There seems to be a pairing issue with your cable box and the remote. Have you attempted to unpair the remote from the device and then pair it again? 

Contributor

• 

42 Messages

It comes and goes. My main query was what does internet service have to do with my XR11 remote communicating with my cable box?

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

The remote utilizes internet based cloud services. After being sent to the cloud it processes for speech to text. Internet issues will directly impact the quality of the voice remote. I checked your signal and you are extremely out of specifications. You most likely need a technician to resolve it. Direct message your name and address and we are happy to get that scheduled for you!  I am confident it will resolve your issues. 

Make sure you are signed into forums

1. In the top right corner, you'll see a little chat icon(direct message) near the bell icon. 2. Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

2. Hit the compose button to the right of "conversations"

3. In the 'To' line, type "Xfinity Support" there. A drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list (an "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line)

4. Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

5. Press Enter to send it. An official employee, such as myself or whoever is first available, will respond. Thanks!

I no longer work for Comcast.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Contributor

• 

42 Messages

Ethan - "Support Chat", "New Message" is greyed out when I'm logged in on any of 3 browsers.  (And you already have all my info to make an appointment, but tnx. Try DMing me, maybe.)

So. The overly circuitous path from my cable TV remote not only goes to my cable box and to some headend server, but to a commercial internet cloud service somewhere (for translation?) before it returns a presumably correct command to my box.   What service AWS ?

All this odyssey just for my remote to tell my box to change a channel or play a DVR item ?

Sheesh.    No wonder the lag just keeps getting worse.

Contributor

• 

42 Messages

Ethan -

To get back to the lag business (forget private chat, ok. Won't work here). 

Is the TV remote signal path's diversion to a 'cloud server' and then the headend server for the sole purpose of speech recognition processing (I don't use it), or do the other more mundane manual remote commands have to make that circuitous journey as well ?   If so . . . . . . . um . . . WHY?

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

Yes, that is correct. The signal will head to the cloud for speech recognition purposes, the cable box will then receive the command. No, the other remotes won't go through the same process since they don't have the voice feature.

It's important to us that your services are working properly. The signal is still not quit where we'd like it to be. I highly recommend we set up a tech appointment. I'm sure this will help resolve this issue as well. I know you've been having issues sending us a private message. The option should be available by using the Peer to Peer direct message icon is located at the top right of the page.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.5K Messages

2 years ago

... what does internet service have to do with my XR11 remote communicating with my cable box?

With older legacy cable boxes, when the box received a signal from a remote it acted on that signal directly. I believe digital adapters also work that way. But X1 boxes are different.  When using a remote to control an X1 cable box:

1. The remote sends a signal to the box
  2. The box uses an internal modem to send that signal to a server at Comcast and ask for instructions
  3. The server at Comcast decides how the box should respond and sends back commands and data
  4. The box receives the commands and data and does as instructed

This design means that X1 is very flexible, but more delicate. If any of the links in this more complicated chain are weak or broken, the response to signals from the remote is sluggish, or fails completely. When that happens you can try changing the batteries in the remote, rebooting the cable box, and checking the coax (or fiber) line and connections.

If the remote still doesn't work, you'll probably need to ask Comcast for help tracking down the problem and fixing it.

(edited)

Contributor

• 

42 Messages

@BruceW​ 

Just as I thought. The cable TV 'space' has once more sacrificed response for intolerable lag.   I had my first cable box from Sterling Manhattan Cable TV @1982 or so and have witnesses many generations of 'improvement' in cable transmission capabilities.  The only capability that has CONSISTENTLY been reduced on each iteration is responsiveness.  Endless mediation from some distant, overloaded headend server is the ultimate recipe for diminished service. Changing channels, once instantaneous, has taken longer to make happen on each technological  "advance".  Eventually you reach a brick wall this way.  There was once an abandoned choice to keep vital functions as local as possible to maintain adequate functionality. I'll not wish for a return to RF transmission, but I can't welcome the IP tradeoffs since then.

Contributor

• 

42 Messages

@BruceW​ 

Oh.  Then the reality is that the 'problem' is NOT 'connecting to the internet' as stated by error RDK-03033.

It should say, rather, "There's a problem connecting to Comcast."

The lag bothers me more even than the incessant overlay picture blockages for even the simplest remote commands.  Is there any remote button press that doesn't trip some obtrusive, irrelevant graphic status overlay for enacting simple motion or channel functions. The viewed answered function summoned by a button press should be all that is required, in most cases, for a confirmation/acknowledgement.

And why, fer pete's sake, no dedicated button for single-press closed caption on/off (with no picture interruption) ?             

(There. That's a lot off my chest.  Sorry.)

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

We appreciate your feedback, u/favorite999. I'd like to set up an appointment to have one of our awesome technicians help us resolve this intermittent issues you're having with the remote. Please send a us a private message to Xfinity Support with your full name and full address by clicking the chat icon in the top right.

Contributor

• 

42 Messages

2 years ago

"Support Chat", "New Message" is greyed out.   

You could have a tech msg ME for an appointment, though.

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

I apologize for the misunderstanding. We recently changed the process for sending a private message on the Community Forum. Our good friend, @BruceW, created this excellent explanation for us!

To send a private message to Xfinity Support from any Forum page:

• Click "Sign In" (if necessary - there will be a visible prompt)
  • Click the "Direct Messaging" (square speech bubble) icon
  • Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
  • The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Xfinity Support" there.
  • As you are typing, a drop-down list will appear. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list.
  • An "Xfinity Support" graphic should replace the "To:" line
  • Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
  • Press Enter to send it

See https://comca.st/3kYXwkR for an example

Contributor

• 

42 Messages

JamesC, BruceW - 

What is it about ' "New Message" is greyed out.' that puzzles you ?    (pencil and paper icon)

Official Employee

• 

746 Messages

If you are unable to send a message on this platform you can reach out to us on Twitter, reddit and facebook. 

Contributor

• 

42 Messages

Sorry, don't do the socials.  So you guys are not allowed to send DM messages TO us. 

You just get DM messages, I guess.   But this is so far off topic now . . . . gotta go.

Official Employee

• 

746 Messages

Thank you for getting back to us. We do not mean to get off topic. We would love to help further however we would need presonal information in a private chat. Please let us know if you would like to proceed. 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.5K Messages

2 years ago

... "New Message" is greyed out.' ... (pencil and paper icon)

Note that, due to an unfortunate design choice, the New Message (paper and pencil) icon is very grey in color even when active. If you select it, Direct Messaging should enter New Message mode.

To send the requested information in a private message to Xfinity Support from any forums.xfinity.com page:

• Click "Sign In" if that prompt is visible  

• Click the "Direct Messaging" icon or https://forums.xfinity.com/direct-messaging  

• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

• The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person" but don't do that. It won't work.

Instead, type Xfinity Support there. As you are typing a drop-down list appears.

• Select "Xfinity Support" from the list. An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line.

• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

• Press Enter or tap the > icon to send it

See https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/email/cant-create-a-new-email-address/605e52b726aa974d63032d02?commentId=606107ea738c7f46a02b830e for an example.

(edited)

Contributor

• 

42 Messages

@BruceW​ 

"Will we ever get around to an explanation of why Xfinity has substituted inexcusable lag for a more responsive remote command experience ?   Maybe not.

Anyhow, see screen grab of greyed out and still inert "New Message" icon.   

Forget chat, OK ?   Talk lag, fer Pete's sake.           [Image Removed: "Personal Information"](edited) "

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the inert vanilla "New Message" icon w/o pers. info:

Contributor

• 

42 Messages

2 years ago

Will we ever get around to an explanation of why Xfinity has substituted inexcusable lag for a more responsive remote command experience ?   Maybe not.

Anyhow, see screen grab of greyed out and still inert "New Message" icon.   

Forget chat, OK ?   Talk lag, fer Pete's sake.

[Image Removed: "Personal Information"]

(edited)

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.5K Messages

2 years ago

... screen grab of greyed out and still inert "New Message" icon ...

Thank you for that. In your profile on https://forums.xfinity.com/users/602c333f3af1791bb406b80c/edit is "Opt Out from Direct Messaging" checked? In my profile checking that box is the only way I can reproduce the circumstance you are seeing. If I clear the checkbox, it works as expected.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post (by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...") the author of the post you are Commenting on is notified of your response. But if you Reply, the author of the post you are Replying to is NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

(edited)

Contributor

• 

42 Messages

" . . . . . In your profile on . . . . ."

Very 1st mention of any 'profile' in all your many attempts here to coax me into a sidebar conversation, which is the very LAST thing I want.  Sounds like that checkbox was news to you folks, too.

Profile settings page occludes yer checkbox below the scroll, and WHO exactly, EVER has reason to go there anyway?

So much for the 'lag' discussion.   Ta Ta . . . . .

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.5K Messages

2 years ago

... RDK-03033 error ...

See https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-errorcode-rdk-03033-unable-to-connect-to-xfinity-tv.

If you can't find the problem or you'd rather have Comcast take care of it, call them at the phone number on your bill or 1-800-Comcast, or use one of the options on https://www.xfinity.com/support/contact-us/. If they can't fix the problem remotely, insist they send a tech out to identify the cause and correct it.

If the tech finds bad coax, splitters, amplifiers, or connections in your home (even if Comcast originally supplied them) you'll probably have to pay for the visit ($70-$100) unless you have their Service Protection Plan (https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/service-protection-plan, closed to customers that don't already have it). If the trouble is due to a faulty Comcast cable box/DVR/digital adapter or anything outside your home, you shouldn't be charged.

Contributor

• 

42 Messages

2 years ago

"Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post (by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...") the author of the post you are Commenting on is notified of your response. But if you Reply, the author of the post you are Replying to is NOT notified and may not be aware of your response."

Does anyone think that your making these distinctions is helpful ?     I doubt it.   Comments & Replies are identically included in the discussion thread.  You see no need to functionally distinguish a 'comment' from a 'reply' ?

Did someone say something about 'featuritis ?     

Just look at the composition toolbar.   

All that for a product user discussion site ?   

Yikes !  Was there overtime involved?

New Poster

• 

7 Messages

2 years ago

After going through every process suggested by Comcast and finally being told by Comcast to replace the TV box, the issue STILL persists. This has been going on for almost a year... WHY?!! It appears that there was nothing wrong with the old TV box in the first place. What a waste of time, energy and money! Comcast already has the monopoly on cable service in some areas, why not have the monopoly in successful repairs for your clients? Give us something to feel good about your service. Your lack of resolution is totally unacceptable.

Contributor

• 

42 Messages

2 years ago

Musicman52 -

Was your issue about delayed responses from remote button presses ?   Or 'lag' ?   

Or the need for remote commands to have access to the whole internet instead of just the box or the headend ?

Way back in this thread that original issue was diverted by the C'cast 'Gold' standard contributors to a discussion of how to arrange a private sidebar on that topic with one of the gurus.  Maybe it is there that they would have recommend a superfluous swap out of my cable box, also.  Looks like falsely mistaken button presses and delayed response is baked into the system.

Gotta live with it, I guess.

New Poster

• 

7 Messages

@Favorite999​  The swapping out of the TV box was the recommendation of the Comcast rep in the Philippines. After swapping out the box for a NEW factory sealed box with new cables, the issue persisted. Apparently, there was no issue with the original TV box that I had. I had to make TWO trips to the Xfinity store because the first replacement did not work(refurbished unit). When I returned that unit, I asked for a NEW unit. Both trips to the store were a total waste of my time. I'm still paying for a service that STILL goes out when it wants to and I get no credit(s) for the lack of service. Xfinity needs to push for SUPERSONIC repair service!!!

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here