BIslander's profile

Contributor

• 

318 Messages

Wednesday, January 10th, 2024 9:32 PM

Closed

Super Bowl in 4K

CBS just announced it will send SB LVIII to MVPDs in 1080p HDR and 4K HDR.  Any news on whether/how Xfinity will make these feeds available to us?  From the CBS Sports posting:

"For the first time, CBS Sports will have the Super Bowl available in 1080p High Dynamic Range (HDR) and 4K HDR. The 1080p HDR feed will be available in most platforms, while the 4K HDR feed will be supplied to various MVPDs (Multichannel Video Programming Distributor) and vMVPDs (Virtual Multichannel Video Programming Distributor)."

This conversation has been merged. Please refer the main conversation:

Catch the Big Game in 4K

Contributor

• 

318 Messages

7 months ago

Hi Xfinity.  Anything to report about getting Super Bowl LVIII in 4K?

Contributor

• 

33 Messages

6 months ago

It will just likely be like they've done the other hand that were in 4k.  Just say 4k into the remote and it will show you what's available.  I watched the Dallas game in 4k.

Contributor

• 

318 Messages

One would hope.   Of course, CBS has not ever done 4K HDR and it may be a different architecture than what Fox and ESPN use to send 4K signals to cable systems.    So, I am asking for confirmation that Xfinity can and will provide this to its subscribers.

Contributor

• 

33 Messages

Oh I didn’t realize that we’ve not had a 4k broadcast from cbs yet.  I hope that after this weekend’s championship games, we’ll see the Super Bowl show up as upcoming 4k content after doing a “4k” voice search.

Contributor

• 

318 Messages

6 months ago

Direct, YouTube TV, and Fubo have announced they'll be carrying it in 4K HDR.  Nothing yet from Xfinity.

Contributor

• 

33 Messages

I just did a 4K search in the voice remote and it shows one of the upcoming games on Fox this weekend as 4K, but it doesn't show the super bowl yet. I can't imagine Xfinity not carryng it in 4K HDR

Official Employee

• 

744 Messages

6 months ago

Hello all, we know that the big game is an exciting and important event, and we want you to be able to enjoy it in the best resolution possible! The 4K content available to you are ones provided to us by the networks. As long as you have the correct setup (4K TV and 4K Cable box) and the network you are watching is airing the content in 4K, you will be able to enjoy it in that resolution as well! Let me know if you have any questions. 

[Edit: Spelling correction]

(edited)

Contributor

• 

318 Messages

@XfinityKatie Thanks.  In past major events like the Olympics, World Cup, and Super Bowls, Xfinity issued releases confirming its 4K plans.   But, nothing from you on SB LVIII so far while other providers have made announcements.  Since CBS has never done 4K before, it would good if Xfinity officially confirmed we'll get the game in 4K.  That's all. 

(edited)

Contributor

• 

33 Messages

I mentioned to XfinityKatie that we're not getting 4k notifications about a broadcast being available in 4k.  She said that the advanced repair team says that we should be getting them 

Contributor

• 

318 Messages

@russr1123 Good luck with that conversation.  I spent the better part of a month exchanging messages before they finally said the tech group acknowledges that 4K auto-tuning and notifications do not happen.  Here's the final message I got:

"As we mentioned in our previous response, the amount of networks that broadcast in 4K is not at the point where our equipment will automatically tune to it. As this technology becomes more available, we are sure that will change over time."

(edited)

2 Messages

@XfinityKatie​ Will we be able to watch the Game in 4k HDR from Xfinity Stream?

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

Greetings, @Lizard2020! Thank you for leaving a post on our community forum. At this time, 4K UHD programming is only available on compatible X1 boxes and Xumo Stream boxes (https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/uhd-4k-faqs). I haven't seen any announcements regarding the expected availability of 4K UHD though the Xfinity Stream app, but I know this is something our engineers are working on.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Contributor

• 

318 Messages

6 months ago

Not official yet, but the TV Answer Man says Comcast confirmed they will have the Super Bowl in 4K:

"Will Comcast provide the Super Bowl in 4K this year? Answer: Yes. A Comcast spokesperson confirmed to The TV Answer Man this afternoon that the cable operator will offer the big game in the big format.

As of now, Comcast, Verizon, DIRECTV, DIRECTV Stream, Fubo and YouTube TV have confirmed they will offer the 4K feed from CBS. It’s likely that more providers, such as Dish and Optimum, will do so as well, and we will update this article if we get more information. (Optimum, for instance, actually posted a Super Bowl 4K listing last November before taking it down.)

The game will mark the first time that CBS will offer any NFL game in the format. (Fox did the Super Bowl in 4K in 2020 and 2023.) A CBS spokesman has confirmed to The TV Answer Man that the 4K feed will be upscaled from a 1080p HD broadcast. (As of now, Paramount+, the streaming sister to CBS, will have the 1080p HD feed, not the 4K broadcast.)"

(edited)

Contributor

• 

318 Messages

6 months ago

The game showed up today when doing a 4K voice search.  No pre or post game listed.  Those are never shown in the search results, but sometimes air in 4K HDR anyway. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here