eastmoreland's profile

Contributor

• 

120 Messages

Sunday, October 3rd, 2021 6:15 PM

Closed

Smart Resume not working correctly

For the last week or so on my X1, the Smart Resume feature has started to resume too soon.  That is, when a commercial starts and I hit fast forward, the fast forwarding stops somewhere between 30 seconds and 90 seconds before the program starts playing again.  So I'm forced to watch at least one commercial before the program starts, unless I manually skip or fast-forward through them.

When I look at the blue and yellow bar indicating where the smart resume window is in the programming stream, it actually looks like the whole smart resume window is skewed about 30-90 seconds early.  That is, the yellow part starts before the commercials start, and the yellow part ends before the commercials end.

Anyone else notice this problem?  I haven't actually reported this to Xfinity Support, but I hope someone might be monitoring this and could address this if it is a general problem.

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

3 years ago

I’m in Bellingham, WA and my smart resume hasn’t worked in a few months. I have to sit through two commercials before resuming a show. Manually fast forwarding on my remote doesn’t work either as it stops, still forcing me to watch two commercials. Did anyone get an actual answer how to resolve this annoying issue?

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

@Jens0874  No fix yet on the “smart resume” problem but one solution to the thwarted fast forward issue is to use the 30 sec skip button followed by fast forwarding. Cumbersome but workable.

Visitor

• 

32 Messages

I was in touch with Xfinity Tech Support on Friday.  They have at least admitted there is a problem but they have no solution.  I keep telling them that they need to have their software experts take a long look at the software coding as that (in my opinion) is definitely where the problem lies.  Following my contact with Tech Support I sent another email to Tom Karinshak ( [Edited: "Personal Information"]) advising him that the problem is extremely irritating to a whole bunch of people and that it needs to prioritized.  Tom is the Executive Vice President and Chief Customer Experience Officer for Comcast Cable.  I haven't heard back from him yet.  Maybe if everyone reading this post would send an email to Tom he might get the idea that this issue, along with recordings stopping too soon, needs to be resolved quickly.  It's been ongoing for at least two months and probably longer.  If Comcast/Xfinity is as technically competent as they claim to be this should not be an insurmountable issue.  Tech Support keeps trying to throw hardware at the issue; it's the age old battle that I fought for over 30 years as a Client Services Manager in the computer industry.  The hardware folks say it's software and the software folks say it's hardware.  I'm on my fourth replacement box now and, judging from the comments of others, there are a lot more users in the same boat.  We just want the equipment to operate the way it's supposed to.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

We want it that way also! I have been told the issue lacks information and needs more customers to reach out and put in tickets. We have done that with you which helps and the more we get it will get attention. Did the agent say anything about calling you with updates or any follow up? I can put in a ticket for the recordings stopping too soon if you would like. These tickets require more specific information. Would you like to do that? 

I no longer work for Comcast.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Seems that Comcast absolutely knows about this issue that EVERYONE of their customers is having. They won’t admit it and it seems that they have no plan to fix it. Not very reasonable customer service if you ask me. 

Contributor

• 

105 Messages

@Jens0874   This is the fix I use, at least until Comcast fixes the problem.  When a program comes to a commercial I hit the fast forward 4 times.  That will speed it through a majority of the commercials.  When it starts again you will still be at a commercial.   Wait for the timer indicator, at the bottom of the screen,  to advance about 4 seconds.  Then hit FF once.  Then hit the play button when you see your program start.  If you don't wait that 4 seconds it will just jump back to the commercial.  I've got it down to a science now.

Visitor

• 

12 Messages

3 years ago

I have an ongoing e-mail dialogue with Kyle T., Case Manager, Executive Customer Relations - this is the rep that got assigned this issue when provided direct feedback to Tom Karinshak through the corporate website. Here are some excerpts from the conversation:

Me: And just a reminder - it's NOT just the Smart Resume that's the problem (for me). I don't want it to seem like I'm just whining because I have to manually skip some commercials. The PROGRAM timing is off, such that we are UNABLE to watch the very end of shows. That's a much bigger problem. The Smart Resume is annoying, because we're paying for the feature. But the missed portions of the DVR recordings is REALLY unacceptable.

Response: I understand. Actually they are from one and the same issue, so apologies if that came out wrong, but do also keep me posted on your end with that as you will likely know about it before I do...we do need to give this fast forward issue a bit of time to get resolved...That said, I know they are working on it every day! 

Kyle also told me on the phone, prior to this last e-mail excerpt, that she had spoken with their Engineers, and that this is a "known issue."

What I don't understand is why this issue, which has clearly been identified and is troubling to so many people, isn't at the very TOP of the priority list to resolve - or, at the very least deserving of a clear explanation as to why it is not.

Visitor

• 

32 Messages

@user_92e336 good deal!  Since there now a bunch of us hounding them, perhaps Comcast will get this fixed.  It would be a good Christmas present for us; although I hope it doesn't take that long.  Thanks for your input!

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I'm in Anacortes, WA and having the same smart resume issues , for a couple months or more.  Additionally, the screen routinely goes black and a moving circle of dots appears before the picture re-apoears.  This is in addition to a year plus of picture pixelation, sound loss, and picture freezes.  I and Comcast techs have done all the unplugging, restarting,  replacing DVRs, etc.  If I ever get another option for internet and TV service I will likely do so.  Some of the local techs are good to work with, but bottom line is there is no fix while we continue to be billed $230.00+ every month.  Chat and phone calls are worthless and every new person I talk to never can access the notes that the previous person I dealt with said they'd leave for the next person so we wouldn't have to start from scratch again.

Visitor

• 

32 Messages

@user_ca15c3 I hear you.  A lot of us are in the same boat.  The only thing I can suggest is to send an email to Tom Karinshak who is the Executive Vice President and Chief Customer Experience Officer for Comcast Cable.  Maybe if enough of us pester him with email he'll get the ball moving.  I would provide you with his email address but the last time I tried that the message was edited to redact his email address.  But, you can Google him and get his contact information that way.

Problem Solver

• 

729 Messages

@user_ca15c3, I am so sorry that you have been having these issues with your cable services! I know we watch a lot of tv here and having a concern with ours would drive us crazy! If you have done all the usual things, you can send me a DM and I would be happy to do some more troubleshooting to see if we can figure this out! 

To send a direct message you may need to:

Click "Sign In"

Click the "direct message" icon

Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line

Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

Press Enter to send it

Regular Visitor

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

The only thing I want to add to this thread is I have found that if I record HGTV, the resume function works quite well. It is beginning to look as though possibly only the major networks are involved? For me, Fox, NBC, ABC and CBS all exhibit what has been discussed previously. Approx 45 second delay/offset in the auto resume function. 

New Poster

• 

8 Messages

@MAPrunner06 also TLC, History Channel, OWN, and USA are out of sync.  

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I have the same smart resume issues that started sometime in October I think. Is there a solution?

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

Yes. Happening for me too. But it only works on House Hunters anyway.

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

Hi, @Terri110. Thanks for reaching out about your smart resume issue. We know about the issue and in order to work toward a solution we need to put in tickets on as many accounts as possible with details on what shows are out of sync. If you would like to do that, let me know the shows, date, and time and I can get is submitted. Thanks!

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Same issue here in Covington, WA. It's NOT just the Smart Resume that's the problem. The PROGRAM timing is also off, such that we are UNABLE to watch the end of shows. The Smart Resume is annoying because we're paying for the feature, but the missed portions of the DVR recordings is unacceptable.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

@user_8da8a7 you know you can end a recording three minutes late?  At the confirm screen, scroll down to the bottom where you will see end time. Scroll right and stop at 3 minutes late. Then go up and hit confirm. 

Problem Solver

• 

513 Messages

Hi there, @user_8da8a7. Thank you for your comment. Please send us a private message to get your information and open a ticket for this issue. It is a known issue and we are opening as many tickets as possible to make sure that it is resolved soon and looked at properly. 

Contributor

• 

135 Messages

3 years ago

Having the same issues 

Ridgfield WA. 

about one hour wasted until I was escalated to the next level. Waiting on a call.

maybe I did it wrong was I supposed stand on my left or right foot in the air. 

Problem Solver

• 

954 Messages

Hello @shapoonie. It has been a couple of days since you reached out. Are you still having issues or are they fixed? -Aaron 

Visitor

• 

12 Messages

3 years ago

I just DM'd this to Xfinity Support:

Smart Resume and general DVR timing is off - Smart Resume ends 30-60 seconds before the commercial break does, and every single show I watch on every channel ends before the very end of the show, so we are NEVER able to see the final moments of any show.We have replaced boxes multiple times, had service techs out to the house, and contacted Xfinity corporate directly. They have confirmed with Xfinity Engineering that this is a KNOWN issue, and is a systemic, wide-range problem affecting all users.
This needs to stop. We pay FAR too much money for cable each month not to have accurate programming available to us. This is NOT a hardware problem, nor is it specific to my account - please review this thread and DO something - please.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

100% having this same issue as everyone else.  In West Seattle. Frustrating bc it is a néw issue. The smart resume used to work fine, predictable as you saw on the timeline. Now, since about a month ago, you are forced to stop and watch the commercials due to out of sync. We just got néw box, etc. 

Problem Solver

• 

513 Messages

Hi there, @user_025be8. I can definitely look into this further and create a ticket for the issue. Send us a private message by clicking on the message button on the top right corner of the page. 

Contributor

• 

120 Messages

3 years ago

Some interesting things to report.  This week, smart resume worked perfectly on my recording of The Big Leap (on Fox).  However, the next night, my recording of The Resident (also on Fox)  had the same smart resume issues as before.

Even more curious, this week's recording of Chicago Med (on NBC) had no issues (resume worked perfectly).  But the recording of Chicago Fire (immediately after on NBC) had the problems.

But what also happened during that time was that very shortly after Chicago Med started recording (8PM my time) or just as it started,  I had what I think was an unrelated issue with my DVR, causing me to have to reset it (pull the plug and plug back in).  My recording of Chicago Med was unaffected, so I assume (excuse me for my lack of knowledge about how all this stuff works) the program was recorded in the cloud instead of on the hard drive of the DVR.  And, since the reboot finished before Chicago Fire started recording, I assume that recording happened on the DVR and not the cloud.  (Again, I could be all wrong about how this stuff works, but....)

So, I'm wondering, are the smart resume problems happening only when programs are recorded on the hard drive and not happening when the recordings happen in the cloud?  If so, I also assume this is a general problem, not just a defective DVR, since many people have reported the same problem even after their DVRs were swapped out.

Perhaps the smart people at Xfinity could take a look at that aspect of the situation.  Just trying to help here.

Visitor

• 

32 Messages

@eastmoreland you are exactly right!  I've tried many times to get some traction in fixing this problem but, as yet, it seems that nothing is being done on the Xfinity end.  I'm told that there is an open ticket but it's been open for well over a month now with no updates.  When I contact Xfnity all is get is "it's a known problem and we're working on it." It appears to me that Xfinity is too busy collecting and spending our money to bother with trying to fix a problem that is at least 3 months old.  I've written to the Executive in Charge of Customer Service at Xfinity on at least 3 occasions and still no (satisfactory) results.  When I wrote the first letter I did get a call from a lady who said she had been tasked to deal with the issue.  I answered all the questions that I've been asked (and answered) many times before and she said she would escalate the issue.  That was the last I've heard from anyone at Xfinity.  They are simply unable (or unwilling) to resolve the issue.  Thinking now about cutting the cable altogether and going with a streaming solution (Netflix, Prime Video, Disney, Hulu, etc. or a combination thereof).  Getting really really frustrated with this issue that should have been fixed in less than a week!

Problem Solver

• 

513 Messages

We truly do appreciate your feedback and continuing to post with your updates. Please keep in mind that Smart Resume is not available on all programs, channels, and recordings. Here is a link https://comca.st/3s2r723 with the information that I provded. 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I have had this same problem starting about the first of October 2021, too. Have tried various settings and fixes as described. Don't see any solutions in any of the entries below. The problem is not specific to any one user. I am in Gig Harbor, WA, so it is not just in the SW Washington/NW Oregon areas as has been postulated. The smart resume starts about 60-90 seconds before the program actually resumes - just like all the other comments. On the DVR, I note that the programs start recording about 60-90 seconds early (even though I have it set to start zero minutes early). It looks like the recording is then out of sync with the smart resume cues by the same amount of time. I wonder if the early recording start is what throws off smart resume. Is there any way to get the recording to start ONLY at the start of the program and not before? If I miss a few seconds, I'm fine with that if it would make smart resume work. I do like the smart resume feature, although advertisers might not.

Contributor

• 

105 Messages

@user_6bfe4c   The early recording start is what throws the smart resume off.   There is nothing that we, as the consumer, can do to fix it, outside of complaining.  It is something that Xfinity has to fix on their end.  It is totally frustrating.

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

Hello, @user_6bfe4c. I am so sorry that you have been having these issues with your cable service. This is a known issue and I would be more than happy to submit a ticket for this particular case.

In order to get started, can you please send me a private message to Xfinity Support with your full name and full address by clicking the chat icon in the top right?

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

Hello there!  I am also experiencing the same issue. Can you open a ticket for me too?

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

@user_f5d9bd honestly. What I believe is that this is too unique and specific to be happening and must be some sort of testing Xfinity is doing to appease advertisers over their customers.  I see this as more of a deceitful tactic than an “issue that needs more tickets open”

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

I am outside Seattle and it is December 19.  Smart resume has become stupid. 60-90 seconds delay to make is watch commercials.  No one cares, calling customer service is an oxymoron and why can’t we get a fix or a solid answer?

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

I have tried to get some one to address this but it appears they don’t want to acknowledge the problem.  Calling customer support is an oxymoron.  I will try a fine Monday December 20, 2021. 60-90 seconds of commercial is not “smart” and we want it addressed.

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

@user_fa379c Agree! I’m in Bellingham and it doesn’t work here either. I finally just disabled smart resume. It wouldn’t even let me fast forward through the end of the commercials after it would stop 90 seconds early!

Contributor

• 

105 Messages

3 years ago

There are several pages on this forum about this issue.  I agree that xfinity seems to be ignoring the problem.  And then yesterday I received an email from xfinity saying that our rates are going up on January 1, 2022.  Kind of a slap in the face if you ask me.    

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

@margene1636 Agree!!

Gold Problem Solver

• 

7.2K Messages

Hi margene1636, we can help you as well. Just send us a private message with your full name and street address to get started. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here