R

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, April 5th, 2023 7:49 AM

Closed

Pixelated, garbled picture

For the past month or so, we've had problems with experiencing pixelated, garbled pictures on several  TV channels. I've tried resetting our X1 box, but it doesn't help. This problem seems to have been getting worse the past few days. It's easy to see on the pictures I took last night how bad it's gotten.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

26K Messages

2 years ago

... pixelated, garbled pictures on several  TV channels ...

Pixelation happens when the signal for the channels you are trying to watch is too weak or has too much noise. This might be because of a bad cable box or a problem at Comcast (check https://www.xfinity.com/support/status/, 1-800-Comcast voice response, or the "My Account" app) but is most likely due to a poor connection between the box and Comcast's network, usually in or near your home.

Troubleshoot by checking all connectors for corrosion and tightness, and by looking for damaged coax cable. Running the cable through a surge protector, a defective splitter, or too many splitters can cause signal problems as well. If there is an amplifier in the line make sure it's getting power. You might also try unplugging the cable box/DVR/digital adapter power cord for a minute or so.

If you can't find the problem or you'd rather have Comcast take care of it and an employee does not respond to your message here, call them at the phone number on your bill or 1-800-Comcast, or use one of the options on https://www.xfinity.com/support/contact-us/. Ask them to check the account setup and send a refresh signal to the box. If they can't fix the problem remotely, insist they send a tech out to identify the cause and correct it.

If the tech finds bad coax, splitters, amplifiers, or connections in your home (even if Comcast originally supplied them) you'll probably have to pay for the visit ($70-$100) unless you have their Service Protection Plan (https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/service-protection-plan, closed to customers that don't already have it). If the trouble is due to a faulty Comcast cable box/DVR/digital adapter or anything outside your home, you shouldn't be charged.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

(edited)

Visitor

• 

1 Message

@BruceW​ why are we only having pixelation on the large networks (NBC, ABC, CBS, and FOX) and no other channels?

Visitor

• 

1 Message

Me as well only in the major networks 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I am also having pixelation!  Has been happening for months now!  Why should I have to pay to have this fixed when I pay almost $300 a month and cannot even watch or listen to my my programs! I have to go to the streaming channel to watch! Looking into T Mobile! 

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

@user_7e8d77​ I have a Comcast guy coming to try and fix it in about an hour. I don't have a lot of confidence that it will be fixed, but I guess we'll see. 

Contributor

• 

473 Messages

Hi there @user_7e8d77. Thanks for taking the time out of your day to reach out to us here on Forums! We are sorry that you are having these issues and would love to help get this resolved. 

Could you please send our team a direct message with your full name and full address?

To send a "Direct Message" message:

• Click "Sign In" if necessary
  • Click the "Direct Messaging" icon at the top of the page (looks like a text bubble)
  • Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
  • Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line
  • Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
  • Press Enter to send it

I no longer work for Comcast. 

Problem Solver

• 

908 Messages

@RacetrackRick How did the appointment go? Was the technician able to resolve the issue?

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Same issue - did all the resets, refreshes, cable checks from the roof of the house to the boxes and TVs.  Nothing helps.  At least an hour on chat with CS agent, no solution and it cut off without an appointment.  Terrible customer service experience.  It's been happening a week plus.  Same deal -- $292/mo = $3500/year and it's this hard to get a problem dealt with?!  98% of the time, XF / Comcast has provided good services with tedious customer service for the 2% issues (most are just outages that are easy to see on the app - which is good).  Because of the customer service new focusing on chat based / AI based troubleshooting, I too am looking at the other options for internet, streaming, etc.  Numerous friends are happy with other options ... Fiber is available too.  I generally have time to deal with tech issues at night and can't seem to get a human to help solve problems like I can with say Verizon who will quickly send the customer to the tech people to solve issues... and their customer service is just much much better.  By the time I'm contacting XF support, I've already done all the basics yet they repeat the same stuff... very inefficient.  And it's making me waste more time writing this to complain about how bad the customer service experience is.  The people are nice, the process is bad.

(edited)

Problem Solver

• 

847 Messages

2 years ago

Pixelating pictures is a signal issue with your house or the local Xfinity system. Only a technician visit can get to the bottom of this. 

Sometimes it resolves on its own , but if the issue is at the house or pole a tech is needed. 

(edited)

2 Messages

[Edited: "Inflammatory"]

(edited)

New Poster

• 

8 Messages

1 year ago

I’ve been having the same issue, and mostly on sports channels. Tennis channel, ESPN, etc. 

It us getting unusable. It started happening when I switched to X1 4k cable box.

Contributor

• 

367 Messages

Hello @DP2022 , thank you for posting in our Xfinity Community Forums and your patience in our response. I'm bummed to hear you are having issues with some of your channels. I know I would be reaching out as well to find out what is going on. To clarify, is this only happening on the new box or others as well? 

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

@DP2022​ ESPN FS1 and TBS haven't worked for almost a week 

3 Messages

1 year ago

Same issue. Comcast tech came to the house and tested the signal. Signal was strong. He had no idea other than maybe replacing the cable boxes, but they aren't that old. Comcast knows this is an issue and they know it isn't always the signal strength. 

New Poster

• 

8 Messages

1 year ago

ABC Network has been pixilating badly at our home for months, approximately 3 evenings @ week.  Always in the evening/night.   

Most times we just change the channel.  Tonight, my wife is watching something on ABC and asked me to look up a fix.  The most common advice is to unplug the X1 box and then plug it back in after a minute or two.  Didn't work. 

If this severe "pixilation" issue spreads to other channels, I'll be moving to one of those non-cable methods of watching TV that so many people have been converting to lately. 

-Allen in Chicagoland

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

Hi there! Thank you so much for reaching your Digital Care team. Thank you for your patience while you waited to connect with me. I'm very sorry for the trouble you are having with your ABC channel. I truly understand how frustrating this service issue can be. Please be assured you reached the right person to assist you. Can you please DM me your first and last name along with your full-service address so that I can assist you further?

To send a direct message [private message]:

•   Click "Sign In" if necessary
  •   Click the "Direct Message" icon 
  •   Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
  •   The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Xfinity Support" there.
  •   - As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list.
  •   - An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line.
  •   Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
  •   Press Enter to send it

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

2 Messages

1 year ago

We started having this problem about a year ago - 2022ish (and still have it in August of 2023 - thus why I am here looking for help). Reading this thread, I at least don't feel crazy, but have zero hope a tech will be able to solve the issue (as no one has replied that a tech visit fixed their issue).

Things I have tried:

1) replaced cable box in 2023. (issue still present)

2) inserted a signal enhancer/booster (did not help and in some cases interfered with communication with xfinity) so nope, not that.

THEORY:  I believe the issue is actually with the DVR "buffer". The "smearing" "glitching" carries the "image" from one recording to the next...not a signal issue as I am not watching "live" signal, but moving from one recording to the next and the "effect" carries over. Also, while watching live TV and in "pause" mode, when I resume playing, the...buffer??? sometimes skips forward to "live" - and I have to rewind back to where I paused the show.

WORK AROUND: I suggest you watch your DVR recordings via the Xfinity App (ROKU, Smart TV etc) as I noticed that recordings which had "glitches" on the cable box were FINE when watching through the Xfinity App connected to the SAME TV. I noticed no digital interference while watching live TV via the streaming app as well. If I switch to same channel on the cable box...glitches. Now I understand that sounds like a cable issue, but the signal is routed through the DVR box - for pausing live TV - so I think it has something to do with the compression or how the box records/buffers the signal.

The thing that sucks about the Xfinity App, is there is no preview while fast forwarding recordings. So, just remember that commercials are sold in 15sec, 30sec, and 1min blocks and COUNT the seconds as you FF. I've gotten pretty good at this.

I'm thinking of ditching the cable box as I believe there is something wrong with the manufacturing of the units.

No one has mentioned this.

Has anyone else run similar "tests"?

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

Hey there, @user_520e4f. We appreciate you providing your input and certainly understand how frustrating it can be to try and enjoy a show/movie and get pixelation issues. We appreciate you letting us know the steps you've attempted to try and resolve the issue. Do you happen to experience this on multiple boxes or just a single box?

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

2 Messages

Multiple boxes (replacement box in 2023 same issue). Like stated above, if I actually want to watch something, I just watch through the Stream app. I've gotten very good at FF through commercials by counting the seconds. Wife is amazed by this "new skill". Thanks for that?

Visitor

• 

1 Message

We have been experiencing the same issue for months. We're on our third box and the issue is no better. It affects all channels and the DVR recordings have the pixelation recorded on the shows we want to watch as well. I've done all the checks listed and the issue persists. It is very annoying that we cannot speak too a human regarding this and other issues. Bots save Comcast money but it pisses off your customers.

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

@user_520e4f Thank you for letting us know. If you would like to troubleshoot further, we are happy to. Please let us know! 

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

Hello @John11831, thanks for reaching out for help with your video serviecs. To get started, please use the chat icon in the upper right to enter Direct Messaging and send us a message with your full name and full address. Here are the detailed steps to direct message us:

• Click the "direct messaging" icon (upper right corner of this page)

• Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list

• Press Enter to send your message

Please let me know if you have any questions or run into any problems. 

1 Message

1 year ago

I have also experienced this issue for almost 1 year  Nov/Dec 2022-Present (Sept 2023). I'm DONE!! Fed up! switching providers ASAP!! I have tried EVERYTHING mentioned above. Nothing works. We pay wayyyyyy to much money for this mediocre service. I may or may NOT come back in 2 years. 

Official Employee

• 

1.9K Messages

Hello, @user_8llixr We would like the opportunity to correct this pixelation issue. Could you please send our team a direct message with your full name and full address? To send a direct message: 

1. In the top right corner, you'll see a little chat icon near the bell icon. Click the direct message icon 
  2. Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
  3. In the 'To' line, type "Xfinity Support" there. A drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list (an "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line)
  4. Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
  5. Press Enter to send it. An official employee, such as myself or whoever is first available, will respond. Thanks!

1 Message

Following I’m having the same problem watching NFL

Official Employee

• 

744 Messages

Hello @user_w4794m thank you for bringing this to our attention so that we can assist you with this! To confirm, are you experiencing pixelation / signal issues while watching the NFL network? Do you have issues with any other channels? Have you tried any troubleshooting on your end, and if so, what steps have you taken?

1 Message

we have been dealing with this for more than a year. Watching live sports -- which is the only reason we've been keeping Comcast -- is impossible.  This pixellating/smearing thing doesn't happen on the 3rd-party apps that we use (e.g. Hulu, AppleTV, etc), so it is bizarre to me why Comcast native signal is so bad.  It affects things we have on DVR, and most broadcast channels. We've tried just about everything, nothing helps.  Planning to switch.

Official Employee

• 

2.2K Messages

Hello, @user_x90ox4. I am sorry that you haven't been able to enjoy the games and understand how frustrating that would be to go through. We never want that and are glad to assist you further with your service. Our team is very tenacious, has all the needed tools to get to the root cause of a problem, and wants to help. There can be a number of causes of this issue so I have some questions. What troubleshooting steps have been done so far? I know you said you have done a lot. Have you had a visit for this in the past? 

2 Messages

1 year ago

I had pixelation issues in 2022 and after contacting support multiple times, and running connection tests over and over, Xfinity finally sent a technician out. Turned out, water was somehow entering the cable lines running to the house causing the interference. I am noticing pixelation issues again, I am wondering if we are experiencing the same issue after the abnormally heavy rain we have been experiencing in the north east. 

Official Employee

• 

1.6K Messages

Good evening @user_5aawwt, and thank you for reaching out on our Community Forums regarding your pixelation concerns. Are you experiencing pixelation on all channels or a few in particular? May I also ask what troubleshooting steps you have tried such as restarting your cable box?

Visitor

• 

1 Message

Pixelation here as well.  We are being ripped off for the price we pay.  Mine started randomly this month.  Funny how the tech reps always act like they are shocked by the issue.  From the sounds of it Comcast knows there is an issue and they are hiding it from the public.  Paying $250 and up for this poor service is terrible.  

2 Messages

@user_5aawwt​ UPDATE - A tech came after I posted this (although they called me 4 days in a row prior to the appointment telling me that they don’t see there is any problem and I should cancel the appointment). I told him this has happened before when water got into the lines outside. He checked the fittings coming to the house and I was right, they were saturated with sitting water. He removed the water and applied silicone to the fittings to prevent this from happening again. No issues since. 

Not applicable

• 

3 Messages

1 year ago

Same here - started noticing pixilation here in Boston, MA past couple of days…some stations not even available - get an error message - others like NFL Network just freezes…all the “fixes” do nothing. Annoying…will place a call this week.

1 Message

1 year ago

I’ve been having this for several months now.   I’m on my third 4k box and it still happens.   They sent out a technician and charged me $100 for the visit, only to be told by the technician that the problem is with the box and it needs to be replaced.   The new box has the same problem - I basically cannot watch anything recorded from the box because of the bad picture and sound.   But it plays back perfectly from the Xfinity stream app.   Also - the box frequently is very delayed responding to any input from the remote.   After three boxes, I have to think the problem is something inherent with the box, and I don’t think I have been given three “bad boxes”.  I also tried to lower the picture resolution settings (even though I have a 4k TV) but it doesn’t help.   Anyone found a solution?    

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

Hello @Smcfamily thanks so much for reaching out and contributing to the conversation here. Are these issues present on every recording, or only on channels with 4K availability?  Does this also affect live chanels? 

1 Message

1 year ago

If you have your box plugged into an extension cord unplug it and move it closer to a wall outlet and plug it into there.  You will see the difference IMMEDIATELY!!  

Let me know if this works for you. 

1 Message

That did not work for me

Frequent Visitor

• 

16 Messages

1 year ago

I am having the same issues now. Just started. Xfinity did some updating in our area and this is when it all started. Only get pixelation on live tv. Not DVR programing or streaming thru xfinity. No pixel problem when on tv channel menu either. Internet fine. I feel it is the box. It is the original 4K box. Should i make them replace it. They say it isn’t, but what else could it be. Bad signal would affect all not just live. Bad connections anywhere would affect all. Been around the block with this. Hi fidelity was my hobby and still is. I have had tech come out to my place many of times and the first thing they tell me is they have no clue what the problem is then $100.00 thank you and i am at square one again. Most of the time i know more then they do.

frustrated and thinking about going total streaming

Official Employee

• 

893 Messages

Hello, @89741. Thank you for reaching out over Xfinity Forums for support, you have contacted the right place in regard to TV pixelation issue. I appreciate you taking the time to provide all the detailed information, and know it is frustrating when service isn't working and to get charged for a service visit with the issue still not fixed. 

I would like to investigate further, and can look to reach out to our local area technician leadership for your area to have this looked into further. Working with our awesome technician leadership teams in the past they have been helpful with similar situations, and can help loop in other teams like our maintenance or engineer experts. 

Since I will need to gather some information to locate and authenticate your account, I would need for you to send a direct message.

To send a direct message: 

Click "Sign In" if necessary

• Click the "Direct Message" icon in the upper right - it looks like a chat bubble  

• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon just to the right of Conversations

• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line - do not use the Employee's name!

• Press Enter to send it

To expedite your request, we ask that you please include your name, the account holder name (if different), and the service address.

1 Message

1 year ago

I have been having pixelation problems for over a month (10/23).  Called Comcast, and they walked me through steps to try and fix the problem.  Didn't work!  Called again and they sent a new box.  Problem still ongoing.  Called again.  Still nothing fixed!

New Poster

• 

8 Messages

After Comcast did work in our neighborhood, pixelation issue is gone. The issue isn’t with the box but with infrastructure.

Frequent Visitor

• 

16 Messages

So have I. Only on live tv. They tell me go check my cable connections. i say bull. It is on their end not mine. Want to send tech out to look at me and say i have no idea $100.00 please. I understand they did an update in the Hockessin area. My problem started right after it. Any one out there get any answers except the same things to check. What is written for the person on the other side to ask. 

Official Employee

• 

331 Messages

@89741 It looks like our last interaction was us asking for a direct message. If you're ready to continue we'll be here waiting and I'll include the directions to send that message as well.

Here's the detailed steps to direct message us:

• Click the "Direct Message” icon (upper right corner of this page)
  • Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

Hello @user_zcax8d, thank you for taking the time to reach out on social media.  I understand your concern with the pixelation, and I'd like the opportunity to check into that for you.

To access your account, will you please send us a direct message with your full name and complete service address to “Xfinity Support”. To do so, click on the chat icon located at the top right of this forums page.

Here's the detailed steps to direct message us:

• Click the "Direct Message” icon (upper right corner of this page)

2 Messages

1 year ago

Same issue here. I'm right outside of DC. It seemed to have started 2-3 months ago. It only happens in my living room. The problem seems to go away during the week and it usually happens during football games. It might just be coincidence. I never had pixelation before. I also changed out the X1 box and it didn't do anything. I removed I think what's a MOCA filter and it seemed to help, but it's still intermittently there, usually on Sundays. I'm wondering if the Xfinity network is bogged down. Why is the signal weaker at times, when I think more people are watching. It's so annoying I might finally try another provider. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here