U

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, September 13th, 2021 8:49 PM

Closed

4K sports programming appears washed out

Every time my X1 box indicates that a program is available in 4K (usually a sporting event), when I switch to the 4K feed the picture appears completely washed out, as if the color or contrast had been dialed way, way down. The same 4K event on my Apple TV 4K looks perfect. What's up with my X1 box?

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

3 years ago

Hey @user_662b5c, thank you for reaching out to Xfinity Support on our Forums. Washout can sure make a game hard to enjoy and I'd love to help. I actually had a similar problem when I got my newer Samsung. Live channels had that effect but the apps with 4k didn't. In my case it was something to do with the upscaling. What fixed it for me was switching the resolution from 16:9, 2160p60 4K UHD (best available) to 16:9, 2160p30 4k UHD. Can you try that to see if it fixes it in your case as well? To change it, just say "Device Settings" into the voice remote and go to video display. Video Resolution will be the top option on that page.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

@XfinityNicolas I tried that…. No luck, same washed-out image.

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

Sounds like it could be a bad HDMI cable. Do you happen to have another HDMI cable you could swap out and test? 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

@XfinityNicolas thank you so much it was the same problem with my 75 inch Sony. Changing that setting fixed it. I am so glad I found your reply

Visitor

• 

1 Message

Same here with my Sony Oled. Fixed it for me also. Thanks.

Regular Visitor

• 

6 Messages

@XfinityNicolas Doesn't that cut the frame rate in half? Isn't that the difference between 30 and 60? That is not an ideal solution for sports. I tired this solution watching football, and it was supper choppy. Better off not using 4k if that is the case.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

This worked for me too. What is different about that setting? Is the 'best available' option triggering a misread from the tv?

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

Also fixed my issue on Samsung! Thanks so much!!

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I have an 8k Samsung tv with all brand new 4K hdmi cables and no matter the setting 30fps or 60 fps it’s dark and washed out.  When I watch movies on Disney plus or use my series x the 4K is amazing.

Contributor

• 

206 Messages

@user_ff8540​ My 2015 JU7100 that was 4K, but didn't do HDR, had this issue for sure. My 2021 QN90A is fine though. So weird. There's not enough broadcast 4K, but when there is like Fox football games and the Winter Olympics right now it looks great. That's with the 60p setting on an XG1v4.

(edited)

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

@user_ff8540​ have you seen three issue on Netflix? I'll go from a 4k movie or show too one that's not and then something doesn't look right. It gets the washed out look again 👎🏼

Problem Solver

• 

511 Messages

Have you disabled HDR on your TV?  Also, UHD Color, if such a setting exists.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here