jrheinrichs's profile

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

Monday, May 18th, 2020 7:00 AM

Closed

On demand TV that was free and now it's not.

We were watching episodes of Veronica Mars, all free. Except yesterday when we turned on TV to see the next one in line: Season 3, Episode 8. Suddenly it had gotten changed to Pay per view.

Xfin pulled a scam, bait & switch con job. Not only were all the episoded from that point forward now only available with a charge, but all the others from the beginning were now suddenly also not free.

I think Xfin detected that my TV was pulling in all those sequential episodes and suddenly thought I'd gotten hooked, and couldn't resist, and they'd start getting more money from me.

Why should I have to pay a al carte when I'm already paying a monthly fee? Nope Comcast; not going to happen

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

That’s the producers choice, not Comcast watching your cable box

Contributor

• 

92 Messages

4 years ago

Take a look at History Vault.  History channel wants money to view the content but is almost empty.  That's one comcast should delte from the lineup.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Same here... over the last week, I have chosen shows to binge watch from season one... 2 examples I will give are The Handmaid's Tale on HULU (via Xfinity) and The Alienist on TNT. I watched season 1 and part of season 2 of The Handmaid's Tale... come back and all of a sudden, no free episodes... now they are $2.99 EACH. So I chose the Alienist... watched 2 episodes, went to bed. Get up next morning and now... $2.99 EACH for the rest if the episodes. It's like they are choosing what to charge for based on what content I am watching and what they predict I will watch next... while all other shows remain untouched. Xfinitybsays it's the networks... but it's not. It's clearly Xfinity or it wouldn't (a) base charges on your watch preferences and (b) affect multiple channels/networks/even stuff like HULU all deciding at random to charge the exact same amount per episode. I pay for this... for On Demand service... why am I being charged extra??

Contributor

• 

92 Messages

4 years ago

My experience with this is looking at my previous post here.  Histroy channel has removed s lot of content from the history vault on comcast and re-applied it to their new service that they run themselves. 

Official Employee

• 

57 Messages

4 years ago

Hi @jrheinrichs  & @labnglidermom ,

@CCAndrew  is right, we do not own the rights to the content. Comcast is a content distributor, not a content creator, which means, we do not dictate when content is available or not.

Comcast 100% does not charge you based on your watch history, that is simply not true. We are contractually bound to abide by the availabilty windows defined by content providers when they deliver their content to us for distribution. This means, we cannot show it to you before the available date, and we cannot show it to you after it has expired, these dates are solely at the discretion of the content providers. For non premium networks, content is usually only available for free to subscribers for a limited period of time, before it is only available for purchase/rent.

Finally, as it relates to your specific example, Handmaid's Tale, if you subscribe to Hulu, this is currently available to you at no cost via Xfinity, if this is not the case, please let me know and I can take a deeper look at your account.

Do let me know if you feel you still have some unanswered questions, I will try my best to answer them for you.

Regards,

Visitor

• 

1 Message

@ComcastCesar I had recorded 4 episodes of Atlantic Crossing on PBS, nos. 1-4. I still see nos. 2-4 in my recording, but no. 1 has been deleted, and it now has a charge to rent. If the episode was already recorded from a free showing, why was it deleted? Is that required by PBS?

Problem Solver

• 

369 Messages

Hi there, , thanks sincerely for reaching out and providing this information for us. I do apologize for any frustrations in regard to missing season 1 in your recordings folder. Sometimes depending on content, the network will allow certain series to air free or can update with a charge-to-rent policy at any time. If you would like for me to take a closer look at your account specifically to provide more details, please send us a private chat message by selecting the “chat” icon on the top right side of our page and then using our singular Xfinity Support handle (not an agent name) to get started. Once you have started a chat message, please provide your name and service address as it appears on your monthly billing statements. Thanks again for both your time and patience!

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Man, I was watching the Greatest Showman & paused around 11:55 for a bathroom break. Then I got distracted on my phone, so it was a little after midnight by the time I was ready to resume. I pressed play, only to discover The Greatest Showman was no longer free. SO annoying. If only I hadn’t paused!!

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

The same thing has happened to me as weel, most recently - I was watching The Alienist yesterday for free and today I have to pay if I want to pick up where I left off.  I get that you're saying it's not Xfinity, that it's the network, but it's pretty frustrating to pay for on demand and not be able to watch what you're already paying to watch.

Expert

• 

30.9K Messages

4 years ago

@rhc143 wrote:

The same thing has happened to me as weel, most recently - I was watching The Alienist yesterday for free and today I have to pay if I want to pick up where I left off.  I get that you're saying it's not Xfinity, that it's the network, but it's pretty frustrating to pay for on demand and not be able to watch what you're already paying to watch.

So, complain to the network.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

You honestly think Comcast or any other provider (hello Directtv) provides content at cost?

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I find it hard to believe XFINITY pays 2.99 for each episode we want that isn’t free...... So if you pay where does the money go??? Just one more way to run a scam in a big business. Ridiculous! Shame on you XFINITY
Hello to Directv.....

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Man my kids were watching a movie last night that was free. Our cat stepped on the remote exiting off demand. In the span of the 10 seconds it took to get back to it, it was no longer free anymore. So movie night ruined. I was not paying 3.99 for a movie we were already watching and almost finished with.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Well something fishy is going on at Comcast/xfinity. My children were watching a movie last night listed as free. They were almost finished with it when our cat stepped on the remote causing to exit from on demand. It literally took us less than 10 seconds to return and the movie was now only available to rent/buy. So how on earth in that short of a time span at 9 pm on a Saturday did it change? Literally a movie were 20 minutes away from finishing for free seconds before. I find it hard to believe that with all these other customers experiencing the same issues that this is not a greedy tactic done by Comcast.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Seriously, this happens to me all the time. I start a show for my kids and they aren't allowed to stay up too late so I pause it and say we will finish it tomorrow and by the next day or even 10 hours later it is now a fee of $4-$7. I already pay you $1400 per year, why can't I use the services I pay for. Scam!

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

It is definitely a scam! It happens constantly to my family & I. My fil is always buying the sports pkgs and the ‘best of the best’ but still nothing is completely free when it’s supposed to be. Biggest Scamming teli providers!!

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

3 years ago

Veronica Mars s03ep08 is on hulu (get a free month using any email address). 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here