U

Sunday, July 14th, 2024 9:16 PM

Damage from Lightning through Comcast Coaxial Cable

On July 12, 2024 we lost Comcast service as a result of a lightning strike (we did not lose electricity).  Support opened ticket [Edited: "Personal Information"] and sent a technician who checked all Comcast equipment, splitters and outside lines.  He told us another tech will be out 7/13/24 to replace damaged outside lines which should fix our issue.   On 7/13, tech replaced Comcast lines which fixed all issues with the exception of:  our main TV and AV receiver both of which were connected to the Comcast DVR box via HDMI and were plugged into surge protector strip (we also have surge protection on whole house electric).  Our main TV and AV receiver will not turn on and were told by your tech that they are both "toast" and will have to be replaced.  All other TVs and our cable modem box were not damaged and are working properly.  We believe that the surge from the lightning strike came over the Comcast coax and hit our main TV and AV receiver causing irreparable damage.  Therefore, Comcast is responsible for replacing these two pieces of equipment since you did not protect the coaxial input and we would like to know how Comcast can make us whole?  We have been a Premium Comcast/Xfinity customer for many years.  Thank you.

Official Employee

• 

1.6K Messages

3 months ago

user_t4tydn Thanks for using our Xfinity Support Team over our Forums. You came to the right place for assistance and we are happy to work on getting your connection repaired. To get started can you please send us a DM. Here's the detailed steps to direct message us: 
• Click "Sign In" if necessary 
• Click the "Direct Message" icon (upper right corner of this page) 
• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon 
• Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list 
• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window 
• Press Enter to send your message

1 Message

2 months ago

Same thing just happened to me two days ago. A big lightning strike just outside my house went through the Xfinity coax cable, frying the cable and the modem, which was plugged into a surge protector. I just bought and tried to install a new modem, but it will not work because the coax cable is not working, so I have an appointment for an Xfinity technician to come fix it in a few days. My HOPE is that Xfinity will cover the cost of the modem since the surge came in on their cables. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here