U

Contributor

• 

25 Messages

Tuesday, May 14th, 2024 7:38 PM

static on VOIP phone calls

Since getting the service a month or so ago the call quality has been problematic. On about half the calls I make there is a clicking sound that makes it difficult to communicate. It's intermittent where sometimes I can call right back and the problem has gone away, other times the problem is still there. How can I fix this?

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

4 months ago

user_6423da Thank you so much for your post for help with the clicking noise you are hearing when using your home phone! I know any noise on the line can be distracting, to say the least, so let us see what we can do to help. This issue is most commonly caused by feedback from in-home phone wiring. Do you use the phone jacks in your walls or do you have a main phone unit that plugs into the modem with smaller satellite base units that plug into power in the other rooms? 

Contributor

• 

25 Messages

4 months ago

I have a main phone unit that plugs into the modem with smaller satellite base units that plug into power in the other rooms.

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

Thank you for those details. Do you also notice the call quality issue on all units? This symptom can be caused by interference from wireless devices that are in close proximity to each other. If you are able to, move all wireless devices away from your phone unit and modem. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Contributor

• 

25 Messages

4 months ago

This is not a problem with the phone. I've had it for 4 years and never had a problem with AT&T landline service. It started when I switched to Xfinity voice.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

Thank you for sharing that. Let's try something different, if this is not happening on all units, are you able to plug the phone line of a working phone unit into the Tel 1, 1 or left most white outlined port on the back of the XFINITY modem. 

Note: Ensure the phone line is secure in that port. You will often hear a clicking sound when plugged in. If you have a 3rd party alarm systems these may temporarily lose connection to their provider while bypassing inside wiring.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Contributor

• 

25 Messages

4 months ago

I have a central phone unit which is plugged into the modem and 3 remote wireless phones that communicate with the main unit. They all exhibit this problem. I'm using a Surfboard T25 modem which is on the Xfinity recommended list. I will try plugging the main unit into the other phone port on the modem for a few days and see if the problem goes away.

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

Please keep us updated. 

Contributor

• 

25 Messages

4 months ago

I made a call today and still have the problem.

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

@user_6423da Thanks for letting us know. We would like to take a closer look at your account. Please send us your full name and complete address in a direct message:

(Full credit to @BruceW for this excellent explanation!) 

"Search for Xfinity Support" won't work. To send a "Direct Messaging" message to Xfinity Support:

• Click "Sign In" if necessary

• Click the "Direct Messaging" icon or https://forums.xfinity.com/direct-messaging

• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

• The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Xfinity Support" there

•  - As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list

•  - An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line

• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

• Press Enter to send it

See https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/email/cant-create-a-new-email-address/605e52b726aa974d63032d02?commentId=606107ea738c7f46a02b830e for an example.

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

The code has to be sent to the email that is listed under your profile. Do you happen to know what one is listed or would you like a text code instead? 

Contributor

• 

25 Messages

4 months ago

I have another active issue on direct messaging and fear that if I address my message to "Xfinity Support" the two issues will get mixed up. Would it be possible to direct message with a person for this problem?

Official Employee

• 

903 Messages

@user_6423da, we work as a team, so you would need to use the directions specified. We will be able to work with you on all issues. Thanks!

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here