eraym's profile

Contributor

• 

92 Messages

Wednesday, June 26th, 2019 8:00 PM

Closed

Question about changing my email associated with my profile and signing into my profile

I have changed my primary Comcast account name (and therefore my email account also) and would like to change the email account associated with my old forum account and profile. I would like to be able to sign in as my new Comcast account name and have my old forum account info, subscriptions, posting, etc.

When I login to the Community Forums with my old Comcast account name and password I get my original forum account and profile. Then if I select My Settings it shows I can change my email address. I enter in my new Comcast account email address (twice) and click on Save. It sends me an email message (to the new email address) and I click on the link in the email which opens a new tab in the browser that says my email address has been verified.

When I look under My Settings again it shows the new email address and says that it is verified.

But then if I logout it's as if I have DONE NOTHING!

If I login as the new email account name it shows me as a completely new user to the forums and there's nothing set up.

If I login with the old email account name it shows my original forum profile, but it ALSO SHOWS THE OLD ORIGINAL EMAIL ADDRESS TOO! The new email address I had changed it to it now reset back as if I NEVER made a change....

First - can I continue to use my original forum profile maintaining all my subscriptions, postings, etc., but login with my new Comcast account so I can eventually delete the old account name?

And if so, what is required to do that.

Second - if we are given an option to change the email account used in our forum profile why doesn't it maintain the change after we logout?

Thanks

Accepted Solution

Retired Employee

• 

5.9K Messages

5 years ago

@eraym & @Tek ,

Thank you so much for posting your questions. My name is Jessie and I am the Xfinity Forum administrator and am happy to address your concerns. I believe if I am reading this right you both would like to modify your Xfinity Forum login credentials (email address you use to login). Unfortunately, there is a limitation in the platform our forum is on that will not allow email changes to be permanent. This means you can make the modification to the email you use to login with, but as soon as you log out those changes will revert back to the original email. 

The only option that you have if you would like to use a completely new email with your forum username, you must start a new username with the new login credentials/username of your choosing. If you would like to know more about registering for the Xfinity Forum see here: https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Getting-Started/Getting-Started-in-the-Xfinity-Help-amp-Support-Forum/td-p/2618380

We apologize that we could not make your requested change. Please let us know if you have any questions or need anything further. 

Problem Solver

• 

828 Messages

5 years ago

Is it possible to move my Xfinity Forum account to a new Comcast.net email address?

There is really no forum for forum questions so....

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

5 years ago

@Tek wrote:
Is it possible to move my Xfinity Forum account to a new Comcast.net email address?

There is really no forum for forum questions so....

sign in to the forum. press the gear to the right of the bell/msg icons.

Problem Solver

• 

828 Messages

5 years ago

And then I can login with the new Comcast email address and access my forum name?

Problem Solver

• 

828 Messages

5 years ago

Worked. Thanks. 

Problem Solver

• 

828 Messages

5 years ago

I take it back. It does not work. When I change my e-mail address to a secondary Comcast.net e-mail I have and then verify the e-mail it changes me back to my orginial one..

Any other ideas? 

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

5 years ago

@Tek wrote:

I take it back. It does not work. When I change my e-mail address to a secondary Comcast.net e-mail I have and then verify the e-mail it changes me back to my orginial one..

Any other ideas? 

did you receive a verification email and approve the update?

Problem Solver

• 

828 Messages

5 years ago

Yes. Then it reverts back to my old email.

Problem Solver

• 

828 Messages

5 years ago

Any other thoughts on this? Here is what happens.

1. Change email in Forum Settings.

2. Secondary account gets a verification email.

3. I verify email and 10 minutes later my forum account reverts back to the orginal email.

There have been past topics on this, but when search it says the topics are in the Internet Archive.  When I click said topic it takes me back to the forum home and not the search result. 

Contributor

• 

92 Messages

5 years ago

ComcastJessie,

Thanks for the update and information. Not what I wanted, but at least I know there is no option to do what I want at this time.

It seems like this should be doable, especially if it's possible for us to transfer all administrative rights from an old primary account to a new one. So that implies someone has made a decision to not allow something very similar in the forums.

What is actually strange about this is that you have an option to change the email account used in the first place. There is no mention on that screen that such a change is only TEMPORARY and the account used will revert back as soon as you logout. And I say strange because why allow such a temporary change when no one stays logged in very long in the first place. It seems the only people that would stay logged in very long at all would be the moderators, not your normal forum user. And why change it if it won't stay changed, forcing you to use the original email account every time you login. Just seems like a point of confusion and not an option to help anyone at all.

Retired Employee

• 

5.9K Messages

5 years ago

@eraym,

We can certainly appreciate your opinion and apologize again about the inconvenience this has caused. I have added some additional details that may help you to understand why these systems function this way. 

At the bottom of most pages of the Xfinity Forum you notice a little icon ("Powered by Lithium"):

Lithium.PNG

Lithium/Khoros is the vendor Comcast uses for our forum platforms, which means it is completely separate from the Xfinity My Account platform.

When logging into the Xfinity Forum you are automatically directed from the Xfinity Forum (Lithium) platform to Comcast's login page.

Once you input your Comcast credentials (email and password), Comcast's backend servers tell Lithium's servers that you have been authenticated and to send you to the correct corresponding Xfinity Forum profile. This is done so your personal information is never shared outside the Comcast organization. 

If the email on the XfinityUsernamee is changed, we would have to share your Comcast account information with Lithium for that change to remain permanent on their servers. We simply do not want to share your account information.

For this reason, if you would like to use another email address to log into the forum with, we recommend registering a new username with that new email. If you would like, I can even switch the usernames for you. The old username with the old email can be changed so it is the one you would use with the new email. All I would need from you is a private message with the following information:

• Old Username:
  • New Username:
  • Full Account Name: 

**Note**: any badges, kudos, total "Best Answers" authored, etc. cannot be moved from the old account to the new account. 

Thanks again for your understanding in this matter. Please let us know if you have any other questions. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here