requa's profile

Contributor

• 

133 Messages

Saturday, April 3rd, 2021 4:16 PM

Closed

Disappearing Forum Posts

I've posted and responded here before, primarily in the Mobile Phone forum. I recently posted a question about visual voice mail, only to realize a day or so later that my post was showing up as a private message (apparently only to myself). I reposted my question including an explanation for the repost, but it then disappeared from the board, I even got a notification that someone had responded to my repost, but the link in the notification leads to a 404 error page. My "private" post still shows up with only my own views. Where are my posts going and how to I make them stick? I do not believe I've violated any forum rules and have received no notifications of removal.

Thanks

Accepted Solution

Retired Employee

• 

5.9K Messages

3 years ago

@requa 

Welcome to the Xfinity Forum and thank you for posting your question here. In order to prevent any type of Xfinity Forum guideline violation the forum will automatically privatize any post that either has some type of guideline violation or has images attached. Images are typically approved by our team within 24-48 hours after being posted. This means if this is the reason your post was privatized, it will automatically be marked as public then without you needing to do anything. I know this could be frustration, but it helps us to ensure the health of our community. We ask that while any of your posts are private and being reviewed that you do not post the same question multiple times and try to remain patient while our moderators do their job. You will notice that I have reviewed your original post (https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/xfinity-mobile/notification-colors-in-visual-voice-mail/6065eef27437b81d05b79b7d) and it is now public for all to see. Keep in mind the image was removed because it displayed a phone number and all phone numbers are considered personal private information and we have removed it to ensure the privacy of that number. Feel free to reply to your original post with any additional information you would like to share or if you would like to edit your original post to include an image that does not have phone numbers displaying. 

I hope this addresses all your questions. Please let us know if you have any others.

Contributor

• 

133 Messages

3 years ago

Well I found the email corresponding to the notification I mentioned -- it showed up in the Spam folder in the Xfinity webmail system, so I would not ordinarily have seen it in my regular email client or Gmail. I have sent a message to the individual who responded (flagging my post as a duplicate) to try to sort out what I'm doing wrong.

Expert

• 

30.5K Messages

3 years ago

requa, sending an unsolicited private message to anyone on the forums is against the Acceptable User Policy and the Forum Guidelines.  You might want to review these so that you will understand how to post here.

Contributor

• 

133 Messages

3 years ago

Thanks for pointing this out. However, I'm still spinning in circles. First, there was no way for me to respond publicly to the user's post because, as I said above, I cannot access the thread. When I try, including clicking the notification from this and other users, I only reach a 404 error page saying I lack permission. Second, the other user's post that I first saw in notifications was a one-word response ("Duplicative . . . ."), also violating rules. Two wrongs don't make a right and I'm not saying they should, but I really just don't know the mechanics here.

I posted a question that for some reason showed up as a private thread. I did nothing to make it private, and it was not addressed to anyone. In my attempt to resolve this and actually get an answer to my question, I reposted and explained why I was doing so. Multiple other users have responded to my repost, but I cannot even see the thread. I see the notifications in the forum and in my email. I still see the thread marked as private but I don't think anyone else does. 

I am just trying to participate in a forum in a meaningful and responsible way, but it is not working out for me.

Official Employee

• 

974 Messages

Thank you for your response. I apologize for the trouble you have been having in trying to post publicly and respond to post. We definitely want to make this experience an enjoyable one and one that helps answers your questions! Please take a moment and review our Get Started page: https://comca.st/3wrwK9F. There are step by step guides in creating and replying to a post! Please let us know if you have other questions as well! 

I no longer work for Comcast.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Contributor

• 

133 Messages

3 years ago

Thank you, Valerie. I have reviewed the Get Started page you linked, and believe I have followed all of the steps properly. I still cannot access my reposted thread, even by following notifications that others have responded, and I still do not understand why my original post appears as a private post. I definitely see and can respond to this thread. I would appreciate any additional suggestions.

Dan

Contributor

• 

350 Messages

Thanks so much for coming back to us with this information. I apologize that your're unable to view your thread with the steps we provided. Can you give me an idea of what happens when you go through the steps? Do you receive an error message? 

Contributor

• 

133 Messages

3 years ago

@ComcastRob, when I click on a notification that someone has responded to my post under the notification bell icon, I land on a 404 error page as shown below. The thread in question is one I created on the Xfinity Mobile forum entitled Notification Colors in Visual Voice Mail. Note that this is the second thread I created with the same title and content but beginning with my explanation for reposting due to the unexpected "Private" tagging of my original post, which I can still access. I do not know how to turn off the Private tag on that one.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

3 years ago

I have found none of your posts removed. None show "Private" now.

Contributor

• 

133 Messages

3 years ago

The post marked as Private is at https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/xfinity-mobile/notification-colors-in-visual-voice-mail/6065eef27437b81d05b79b7d

Here is the indicator in the thread list showing it as Private in my view:

Is it possible that I somehow created two separate profiles, but with user name "requa," but with under using my Comcast address and the other using my Gmail address? If so, might this explain the issues I'm seeing, and how do I resolve it?

(edited)

Contributor

• 

350 Messages

Thanks so much for your patience, and willingness to work with us. I know this has been frustrating, and I've also tried to access the page and see the same error on my end. I want to make sure we get to the bottom of this for you. However, we really would like to address your primary concern, so you can get back to enjoying your device. Would you be willing to work with us directly on your concern? You can send us a private message directly by clicking on the icon in the upper right corner of their screen and send a message to the shared handle "Xfinity Support". 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

3 years ago

The Comcast Site and the Forum have been moved to a different company who created the code. There are many "bugs" being found in the coding.

Nothing works very well right now. Coding is slowly being fixed as we go on.

Some early posts were marked "Private" by the computer program. We try to mark them "Public" when we locate those marked incorrectly.

We all are having problems using this site right now.

Contributor

• 

133 Messages

3 years ago

Thank you, Rob, and I would be glad to engage in this privately, but I'm not clear on what I'm clicking (I already made the mistake once of sending someone an unsolicited PM). Are you suggesting that I click the Chat bubble for Peer-to-Peer messaging and address the message to Xfinity Support, or is there some other handle I'm not seeing?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

3 years ago

That would be a good idea.

Contributor

• 

133 Messages

3 years ago

Thank you for this detailed explanation, @ComcastJessie. I had wondered if the inclusion of an image was related to the marking as private, but I did not think about the phone number. I have reposted the image with the phone number redacted.

Dan

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here