Biff-Tannon's profile

Contributor

• 

384 Messages

Saturday, June 24th, 2023 6:05 PM

Closed

Can’t Post Forum Question from Computer , Description Field is Grayed Out

Greets, I cannot post a new forum question from laptop or desktop computer using multiple browsers, I cleared history/cookies, still doesn’t work? Can only post from cell phone. 
What is causing this?

Thanks

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.7K Messages

11 months ago

... posting this from my Win 10 desktop box with Firefox 115.0.3 ...

Glad to hear it, although on Win 11, FF 115.0.3 (64-bit) and Chrome 115.0.5790.110 (64-bit) are both still borked for me. Same behavior as before: looks fine when I'm not logged in to the Forums, but not terribly useful that way.

Posting this with Edge. Ugh!

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

Contributor

• 

384 Messages

11 months ago

I just tried it with Edge on the same Win 10 box and the comment box is grayed out and not able to reply any which-a-way.

This was posted with FF.

(edited)

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.7K Messages

11 months ago

Running Win 11 21H2, I have been signing in to the Forums directly, by clicking SIGN IN on forums.xfinity.com. That was working for YEARS until a few weeks ago. First it stopped working in Firefox, then Chrome, and then, a few days ago, in Edge. I was "logged in", but couldn't post. This morning I tried first logging in to www.xfinity.com and then logging in to the Forums. So far, that's working and I can use the New Post, Reply, and Comment text entry boxes and toolbars in all three browsers. Will it hold? Who knows???

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

(edited)

Contributor

• 

384 Messages

11 months ago

Still no change here. Can only post from cell. Why aren’t other folks complaining about this? Are we the chosen few? Also, if this is caused by a coding issue, why hasn’t it been fixed?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.7K Messages

11 months ago

Still no change here ...

Forgot to say: to get this to work, I had to do these steps in this order:

1. sign out of the Forum
  2. sign out of Xfinity
  3. close all Forum and Xfinity windows/tabs
  4. delete cache
  5. delete all Sprinklr, Comcast, and Xfinity cookies
  6. sign in to https://www.xfinity.com/
  7. sign in to https://forums.xfinity.com/
Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

(edited)

Contributor

• 

384 Messages

11 months ago

Thanks Bruce. I tried all that weeks ago. Clearing cache cookies etc does nothing. I posted this thread 6/24/23.

I am an electronics engineer working with electronics, software, microcontrollers, computers, html, javascript, etc for 30+ years.

I’ll ask again, if this is a coding issue, why hasn’t it been fixed? Are other customers complaining about this?

thanks

(edited)

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.7K Messages

11 months ago

... why hasn’t it been fixed? Are other customers complaining about this? ...

I'm not Comcast, so I have no idea. All I can tell you is that I had this problem in Firefox, Edge, and Chrome when using the Forum's "SIGN IN" link without signing in to Xfinty first. All three were all failing to allow access to New Post, Reply, and Comment text entry boxes and toolbars until I "cleaned house" and signed in to Xfinity first as described above. YMMV.

Expert

• 

1.4K Messages

11 months ago

@BruceW 

I just followed your steps shown above, and I'm able to post again from my W10 desktop. I only cleared cache and cookies from Firefox, since that's what I'm usually using. Thanks!

Contributor

• 

384 Messages

11 months ago

Howdy Folks,

Today, I am able to post from my Win 10 desktop and Firefox that I couldn't post from yesterday. Hopefully this will hold up. I haven't tried any other computer yet.

Thanks for your input!

Contributor

• 

384 Messages

11 months ago

I originally posted this thread on 6/24/2023. The issue still persists!

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

@Biff-Tannon​ 

After clearing all old cookies, did you make sure you were not blocking any new cookies on the forum site?

Retired Expert

Gold Problem Solver

Contributor

• 

384 Messages

9 months ago

I still can’t post from any laptop, any browser, no cookies no nothing. This has been happening since at least June of this year.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

The only idea I have left is to take your laptop to a mall r coffee shop to see if you can connect there. this would leave the problem to something at home. The laptop would be ruled out. Sorry I could not reply sooner. I just had Cataract surgery Hard to post using a magnifying glass.

Retired Expert

Gold Problem Solver

Gold Problem Solver

• 

261 Messages

9 months ago

Wow. This thread is four months old.  I just noticed this problem a couple days ago and came to the forums to report it.

For the record, I am able to post to Xfinity Forums using Microsoft Edge, but not with Google Chrome.  I'm experiencing the same problem as others have reported: in Google Chrome, certain text entry fields are inaccessible.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.7K Messages

9 months ago

... in Google Chrome, certain text entry fields are inaccessible.

Like I wrote above, if I'm are not already signed in to www.xfinity.com when I click SIGN IN on forums.xfinity.com, SIGN IN doesn't work fully. It's supposed to log me in to www.xfinity.com as well as forums.xfinity.com, but it doesn't quite work. Worse, it appears to work, but leaves posting editor text entry fields "locked", and it loads some sort of junk into the browser so that, if I then sign in to www.xfinity.com, forum text entry is still messed up.

Even better, if I'm not logged in to the forums, posting editor text entry fields are accessible and appear to work normally, until I click "Post". Then I'm prompted to log in to www.xfinity.com and forums.xfinity.com, but everything I typed into the editor is wiped out! Perhaps fixed now?

To clear the problem I had to do these steps in this order in each browser I use in the forums:

1. sign out of the Forums (profile icon, "SIGN OUT")
  2. sign out of Xfinity (user icon, "Sign out")
  3. close all Forum and Xfinity windows/tabs
  4. delete cache
  5. delete all Sprinklr, Comcast, and Xfinity cookies
  6. sign in to https://www.xfinity.com/
  7. sign in to https://forums.xfinity.com/

Since doing that I always make sure I'm logged in to www.xfinity.com before logging in to the forums. I haven't had a problem with "locked out" text entry fields since.

(edited)

Problem Solver

• 

511 Messages

9 months ago

I have been with xfinity for years, and have used these forums for most of that time.  On any device except an iPad, I can no longer respond or comment on a post or to create a new post.  I can log in, see all the categories, browse, etc, but as soon as I try to respond, comment or create a new post, the are to type in is grayed out.  It happens on all my computers (windows PCs, laptops, etc).  I have tried clearing the cache, restarting, etc. this happens on all browsers I have tried, such as Chrome, Firefox, Edge, etc.  the only way I can post is on my iPad.  I calle support, spent two hours with them and got nowhere.  I don’t think they understood my problem, and all three reps I spoke with didn’t even know that the forum exists.  One rep actually asked my why I wanted to use the forums.  When I told her that I didn’t think that was a question that they should ven be asking, she said they couldn’t help me unless I gave them a reason for wanting to visit.  The next rep told me that Comcast has nothing to do with the xfinity website,  I asked her to explain that to me, and she refused.  I got nowhere.  I would like to be able to once again use the forums as I had in the past.  Does anyone have any suggestions on what department acts as the moderators for these forums?  

Note: This comment was created from a merged conversation originally titled strange problem with these forums.

Expert

• 

104.4K Messages

Concern moved here to the Community Center help section for assistance.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.7K Messages

... respond, comment or create a new post, the are to type in is grayed out ...

Please see https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/getting-started/cant-post-forum-question-from-computer-description-field-is-grayed-out/64973071d92de332576a2c00?commentId=6531383d77679f48f5baa974, and if you would, let me know if that helps.

Expert

• 

30.6K Messages

@NoNoBadPuppy 

I have been with xfinity for years, and have used these forums for most of that time.  On any device except an iPad, I can no longer respond or comment on a post or to create a new post.  I can log in, see all the categories, browse, etc, but as soon as I try to respond, comment or create a new post, the are to type in is grayed out.  It happens on all my computers (windows PCs, laptops, etc).  I have tried clearing the cache, restarting, etc. this happens on all browsers I have tried, such as Chrome, Firefox, Edge, etc.  the only way I can post is on my iPad.  I calle support, spent two hours with them and got nowhere.  I don’t think they understood my problem, and all three reps I spoke with didn’t even know that the forum exists.  One rep actually asked my why I wanted to use the forums.  When I told her that I didn’t think that was a question that they should ven be asking, she said they couldn’t help me unless I gave them a reason for wanting to visit.  The next rep told me that Comcast has nothing to do with the xfinity website,  I asked her to explain that to me, and she refused.  I got nowhere.  I would like to be able to once again use the forums as I had in the past.  Does anyone have any suggestions on what department acts as the moderators for these forums?  

We have Corporate Employees that help customers which you probably know if you have used the Forums before.  FWIW, a lot of the phone reps actually don't know anything about the forums, although there are a handful of them out there.

As far as posting on the Forums goes, this problem has existed for quite a while, and it's not anything that is the fault of the customer or the browser they're using.  Apparently this is a problem with the forum software and deals with a cookie issue.  It would be worth it to take a look at @BruceW's link.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here