U

8 Messages

Monday, January 15th, 2024 5:14 PM

Temporarily Blacklisted Account Message — Occurs Daily

Hello;

For the past month, my email client has been returning the message below, preventing me from accessing my email:

The server for account "< [Edited: "Personal Information"]>" returned the error "[ALERT] Temporarily blacklisted IP Address - try again later." Your username/password or security settings may be incorrect. Would you like to try re-entering your password?

• This error occurs in all of the email clients I've tried: Outlook (Mac), Thunderbird, and Apple Email, and iPhone.
• No settings or options have been changed during this time, and everything worked as expected for years until this past month.
• The problem always 'fixes itself', where it suddenly starts working again for a couple of days and then the problem returns.
• I have changed my password several times over the past couple of weeks, and doing so does not fix the problem.
• This error does not prevent me from accessing the email directly through the Comcast/Xfinity online web portal.

Sample error notice below:

Why is this happening, how can I fix it?

VERY FRUSTRATING.

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

8 months ago

@user_bk161 Thank you for reaching out via our Xfinity Community Forums. I know how important access to your email is and glad that you are able to access it via Xfinity.com still. Please reach out to our Security Assurance team at 888-565-4329 for assistance with the Blacklisted message. 

(edited)

8 Messages

@XfinityChristy​ Hello again —

This problem is continuing. It resolves for several hours up to a day and then returns, making access via email client to my mailbox impossible until it clears up "on its own". This is EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING AND IS HURTING MY BUSINESS AND REPUTATION FOR TIMELY RESPONSES.

Yes, I can access the email by logging into the Xfinity web panel, but this is NOT convenient, especially when I'm on the road or in meetings, and NOT conducive to my business. If this can't be addressed or resolved, it may be time to ditch Comcast/Xfinity. I am tired of begging for help for a service I paid thousands for over the years.

Official Employee

• 

966 Messages

Hello @user_bk161 we're sorry to hear that issue persists. Have you had an opportunity to reach out to our Security Assurance Team? What solutions were they able to provide? We can help facilitate solutions should that be needed. 

Please send a direct message by clicking the chat icon in the upper right corner of the page, clicking on the pen and paper icon, then entering “Xfinity Support” in the “To” section. Please include your name and address, and we'll be happy to assist.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

8 Messages

So here's the latest — I have now called the hotline and completed the following:

• Called Tech Support: (888) 565-4329
  • Connected with Francisco

Steps Taken:

1: Supplied Account number: <redacted>

2: Agent sent me to: https://spa.xfinity.com/

3: Filled out report:

• 1) Click button: “Postmaster”
  • 2) Locate accordion list Item: “How do I get my IP block removed?”
  • 3) Find interior link: “reporting page” —> https://spa.xfinity.com/report
  • 4) Locate within dropdown list: “I’m not able to send e-mail to Comcast customers (comcast.net)” —> Continue
  • 5) Completed the form.
  • 6) Clicked button: “Review”

4: I've been Instructed to wait. I will be sent an email with whatever the tech team does or uncovers. Francisco says he asked in his notes why this problem happened in the first place. Says it will be an unknown amount of time before results come back.

Three hours later, I receive this: (Image attached)

This DID NOT SOLVE ANY PROBLEMS. The email is STILL blacklisted, and I cannot access it even as I write this note, now almost 2 months into the original problem.

I am still receiving the same error, which comes and goes randomly:

There are no links to click on, no error codes, and no next-steps. I have changed my password several times, and completely deleted and re-added the account to my email client.

I NEED THIS RESOLVED.

New Poster

• 

24 Messages

@user_bk161​ have you gotten to the bottom of this? constantly happening to me too, so ridiculous!

8 Messages

Nope. The problem persists. Best of luck to us all.

New Poster

• 

24 Messages

7 months ago

I have the same problem.

Why is everyone having this issue?

I'v changed IP Addresses 5 times to try to see if that would fix it, yet the problem reoccurs.

The comcast technician told me this which is ridiculous!

From Agent,

The error message "IP Address temporarily blacklisted. Try again later" indicates that the email client (Outlook) is unable to connect to the IMAP server because the IP address has been temporarily blocked by Comcast. This block is likely due to sending email from a dynamic/residential IP address, which is not allowed by Comcast.

Thank you for contacting Xfinity have a great day.

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

Thank you for reaching out to us @JeffreyP! Are you able to access your email address by using our website

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

New Poster

• 

24 Messages

yes I am able to access webmail with no issues, its only when outlook is fetching emails from the server

Ive lived here for 10 years with no issues on this IP, why all of a sudden comcast blocks it???

Visitor

• 

9 Messages

7 months ago

I have the same problem. Best answer is to [Edited: "Language"]
xfinity. I'm working on that.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

@JustaCustomer222, I know how important email is, so I'm sorry you've been experiencing this issue. What troubleshooting steps have you gone through on your end? Have you taken the same steps outlined in the post?  

Visitor

• 

14 Messages

6 months ago

Did anybody get this resolved? I am in Mexico with TotalPlay and they have TotalPlay ISP blacklisted. I have not problem with Izzi Communications, AT&T Mexico, and TelCel ISP's.  What do I need to ask of TotalPlay.

8 Messages

Nope. After speaking with two techs on the phone, sending various emails, and an hour long chat session, no one has solved this issue. After jumping through every hoop they have sent me, their team just says, "your IP address is not on our block-list", and then that's as far as they go. The problem persists, and apparently it's a cosmic mystery that no one knows how to solve.

Expert

• 

30.8K Messages

@user_bk161​ it sounds as though @XfinityAlex needs to get involved in this.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

Official Employee

• 

862 Messages

@user_bk161 Please send me a DM with some details, including the IP and the username on the account.  I'll try to get this resolved.

@user_d1c131 If you could do the same, that would be appreciated.

Expert

• 

30.8K Messages

@XfinityAlex​ thanks!

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

New Poster

• 

7 Messages

@XfinityAlex@XfinityAlex​ I too have been getting this Blocked ip temporarily message from my windows live mail.  YES i know WLM is obsolete.  i dont care.  I was a comcast customer for 20 years and we left about 1 1/2 years ago for a fiber provider.  Comcast told us they would NOT delete my email address and that I could continue using it. This started about a month ago...  My phone would download messages as long as it was not on my wifi, but my WLM on my PC would not.  There is NO reason for this.  My account has never been used with a proxy service or used to distrubute spam.  I will send you a pm with my ip and my comcast mail username.

1 Message

6 months ago

Please add me to this list of frustrated users.  EXACT same issue with IP at Bell.ca in Canada!  

Official Employee

• 

862 Messages

@user_kprfy8​ If you DM me or XfinityDaveL, we should be able to help figure that out for you.  We'll need your IP or username you're having a problem with.  Thanks

Visitor

• 

1 Message

5 months ago

Just started happening to me today after having Comcast and using it through Outlook (and my iPhone) for 10+ years.  Thank you, Comcast!

Visitor

• 

14 Messages

@bscrivener​ Yes my black list (block) through my Mexico ISP came back today. Either my Public IP Changed or Something Else Happened at Comcast. I have direct messaged the rep who help with the whitelisting in the past. The web form does not work.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

924 Messages

Hello bscrivener, Please sign out of those clients and sign back in to see if that fixes it.

New Poster

• 

24 Messages

5 months ago

Comcast [Edited: "Language"], thats the bottom line. Look at the people in here having the same exact issue. No one can figure this out??? Its ridiculous.

I've spent hours and hours of my life trying to solve this. From the crackpot suggestions of ther customer support to the lackluster attempts from the folks here. Its really disappointing that people keep paying Comcast.

Dont even bother 'sending dms' or 'submitting your IP' to the 'official employees' on this board, you will just get caught in a never ending loop of confusion. Your IP doesnt matter. DMing your credentials to these people wont matter. Its just for show. They will not help you. You will NEVER EVER get a solution here.  Something is broke on their end and they wont (dont care to) fix it properly. Look at all the forum posts on this with zero answers and zero solutions.

Like some other poster here mentioned, its a cosmic mystery whats causing this, and Comcast doesnt care.

I've solved my issue by switching to gmail. Never again will I trust or use another service from Comcast, they are a joke.

(edited)

Visitor

• 

14 Messages

@JeffreyP​ Yes my black list (block) through my Mexico ISP came back today. Either my Public IP Changed or Something Else Happened at Comcast. I have direct messaged the rep who help with the whitelisting in the past. The web form does not work.

New Poster

• 

24 Messages

They are terrible, drop them like 3rd period french

1 Message

5 months ago

Same issue for me. Email has worked fine for years now yesterday I get the blacklisted ip address error. 

Official Employee

• 

2K Messages

Thanks for reaching out, user_i5pv0e. Have you been able to speak with our CSA team or submit a block list removal request at our SPA website?

@XfinityAlex or @XfinityWilliam are you able to look into this request?

Visitor

• 

9 Messages

just got a 404 error on the SPA Website link you provided... comcast, xfinity, etc. you call yourself an ISP, eh?

Official Employee

• 

187 Messages

@user_i5pv0e​ I sent you a private forum message a moment ago.  Can you read and reply when you have a moment?

1 Message

5 months ago

Same thing here for the past few weeks. Need to transfer everything to gmail since Comcast email is unreliable.

Official Employee

• 

187 Messages

@user_hgqh9e​ I sent you a private forum message a moment ago.  Can you read and reply when you have a moment?

2 Messages

4 months ago

Same here.  Tried Outlook, Apple Mail, Spark, Edison, Airmail, GMAIL+. I can only get email from xfinity website.

Visitor

• 

14 Messages

@user_i4icr9​ You need to be whitelisted with your Public IP,  Whats My IP.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

862 Messages

@user_i4icr9​ Have you confirmed you have third-party email client access enabled?

Turn your access to third-party email programs on or off in Xfinity Email - Xfinity Support

Visitor

• 

22 Messages

4 months ago

They wiped out our computers' ability to send and receive (grandfathered) email on Dec 2023!  We called the department, and if they felt like even connecting us (being that we dont PAY for services) to investigations dep't, we got 3 different CSRs on 3 days...absolutely ineffectual, uninformed or both.

1) took our ip, other info, said it'd take days to "investigate" (i.e brush it off)!

2) Guy told me after I had to change a p/w b/c of Comcast's big security break in last year, that this was a new policy, b/c "IF you don't PAY, you can only get your mail directly from signing in on the Xf website

3) Another tech spent a good hour with other technical minutia, blaming Apple computer or Amazon (tablets) or Samsung, but taking NO responsiblity!

I have some bad news for what finally kicked things back in to "normal"...it involves the last millenia practice of writing a SNAIL MAIL to the director/president of Xfinity in Philadephia (JFK BLVD, etc).  I sent it certified, and in about 2/3 wks., whoa suddenly their satisfaction team (haha) called, and by the time I picked up, magically (NOT), every one of my devices was back up send/receiving.

Of course, I am going to have to send another letter and hope they do something-same exact "IP USER P/W temporarily blacklisted".

I think I figured out what triggered it: even though this site (and their csr techs said you could use Outlook or other 3rd party mail clients even if you're a grandfathered/non paying user), I updated MS 365, and didn't recognize the Outlook app. was trying to connect into the comcast mail...it innocuously asked "add incoming imap username'add outgoing p/w (or create an alternate)".

I tried logging in with the Xfinity mail p/w's, not thinking this is what messed it up before, but I am almost absolutely sure..if you want to use a good Outlook, you better believe Xfinity is blind to your good intentions and block "temporarily".

IT needs to be added that the csrs on this board also are working with pages which have not a thing to do with resolving similar issues....the page to "reinstate blocked temp. ip p/w" goes to choices for retail or "postmaster', which is a joke...it then asks if you're having trouble with business or hack issues, or some other FBI abbreviations to sign up for monitoring.  EVEN the non-concluding help request page gives a total runaround-there's simply no direct interveition, unless you WRITE HQ in PA, I'm afraid@!
  Here goes another few weeks w.o resolving-don't tell me to call tech support again...they are all over the central American basin and don't reallly have the ability to direct the actual US departments with the servers to get your off the little list.  Good luck if you find a back channel-do comment here to let anyone else know!

Official Employee

• 

187 Messages

@jjohart​ Hi, I just sent you a private forum message.  can you reply when you get a chance?

Official Employee

• 

1.6K Messages

@jjohart Thank you for reaching out so we can make sure you're able to use your Xfinity Email address and thank you @XfinityDaveL for jumping in to help! Were you able to get this taken care of? 

1 Message

3 months ago

I finally resolved my issue by turning off my wifi. Now it works.

1 Message

This worked for me too! Thanks for the simple solution! 

Contributor

• 

100 Messages

3 months ago

I have called everyone. Apple   Xfinity security everyone seems clueless. I have been blacklisted on my iMac mail feed which comes from cfinity server. Never had issues for years. If I go to Mac mail and Verizon Mac mail does not work… seems an  imap issue.. I called security they didn’t know so upgraded a ticket still have not heard from higher up. I can access mail through xfinity website but even when I did it did say server issue but then that disappeared. And it worked..   but cannot access my mail through Mac mail via xfinity server I’m blacklisted. How horrifying. They seem clueless.. still waiting. It’s them  . 

Visitor

• 

22 Messages

You will never get them to admit "its them" b/c this is tied in to all their b.reak-in controversy.

I almost feel bad for those who pay for this mail service, when I'm grandfathered back from 1998 when it was 'attbi'.

I have documented enough here recently.....the csr phone support is as consistent as global warming!  The only thing that helped me out was WRITING the Xfinite PRESIDENT on  JFK Blvd, Phila., PA.  It took two weeks but once it cleared, some tech actually called to "make sure iI was satified" but wouldnl't tell me what had happened-kind of hacker amnesia.

I did finally figure out WHY my scenario triggered after all these years-it happened again a couple weeks ago.  I had the lunacy to switch to Android/Samrng mobile, and they bring up a pop up if you try to sync your home laptop (needed it to get mail forwarded from Xfast through 'Outloook"!!

Kind of like flying a propeller plane through an underwater tunnel which is actually the interioir of a A300 Airbus (i.e xfinity vs MS vs Apple)=the comcast  allows 3rd party mail clients in THEORY, but in actuality, when I went to try the laptop Outlook, it used weird "sign into your exiting mail laccount" with additional terminology I couldn't make eads/tails of, like "name alternate client", or "specify new or create alt. p.w"  etc.

Short point: for the 2nd time, Xfinity was temp. blacklisting me anew!!!!

I can't stress the  idiocy of their phone support, telling me it was apple or MS fault, or it's b/c I'm not a paying customer!! SHeesh!

Write them on paper, send mails by stamps/USPS...its the only level of uniform responsivigty you can expect.

In all fairness, if you were using Gmail and had a probolem, guess how much "help" you'd be getting from them...less than zero, for sure (have had Gooo goo Drive a year, and THEIR so called support wouldn't know anything more than a screen shot from a Kodak Instamatic..no 2nd tier support, no history/case #'s. By their monolithic training, its even worse than our folks from PA!

Flame me, but be thankful Xfinity hasn't kicked us all off if grandfathery respect should fail them....and I'm sure it will one day soon.

Hopefully I'll be dead and buried by then, but start making new address notices up for your next involuntary mail client, before the temp blacklist becomes permanent.

END QUOTE-I like what Apple support said to me (after checking my acc'ts without bashing me b/c I wasn't using their mail for help)..."We don't like to use 'blacklist' with our consumers...we like to look for patterns and activity that help our understand and hopefully solve ISSUES"!

Yeah, I know, they've got a bigger pot of lithium than any of the other multibillion dollar companies...but it takes a tough tech company to make a tender customer service experience!'  (I think that was a chicken ad long ago, aka 'Perdue"!)

Official Employee

• 

862 Messages

@bluebird51​ I'll send you a DM to get more information.  I'd like to better understand the issues you're facing.

Contributor

• 

100 Messages

@XfinityAlex​ I tried to respond to you did you get it?Have talked to all levels of security there some in the phillipines!!! No one knows anything. At least I know for sure [Edited: Inflammatory] are having the same issues!! Is this one big cover up????

(edited)

Expert

• 

30.8K Messages

@bluebird51​ 

Did you respond to @XfinityAlex's DM?  Alex will not be talking with you on the phone, but via private message here.

12 Messages

3 months ago

I am having the SAME PROBLEM. Out of the blue, when I'm on Wifi in my home in NY, I cannot sync to Comcast email through Outlook on my Macbook or through Apple Mail on my iPhone. Outlook on my Macbook says "IP address temporarily blacklisted". iPhone will say "Comcast not available try again later." I have reset passwords, I have changed my IP address, I have shut down, restarted, deleted Comcast mail account on both the Macbook and the iPhone. You name, I've done it. Nothing works to fix this wifi problem. Only if I use cellular in my house and my iPhone as a hotspot for my Macbook can I sync with Comcast mail on my iphone and Macbook. I've been a customer of Comcast for over 25 years - since Comcast created emails and emails were invented. I am currently an Xfinity customer in MA on Cape Cod. So I am a paying customer who pays on time every month since the late 90's. I will be going out to the Cape (where I have Xfinity as my ISP) next week and it will be interesting to see if that router/IP address works. If they're only blacklisting my Verizon FiOS router here in NY, then I'm wondering if it's a Comcast vs FiOS battle making misery for honest, paying customers.  Either way, this is APPALLING.

Again, this happened OUT OF THE BLUE. No changes to hardware, software, NOTHING.

Visitor

• 

22 Messages

@user_bgca8h​ Sorry you live in NY-the cape sounds nice...lol!  Even if the Celts don't win, the only way to reach the men in the tower in Philly (Comcast HQ) is to use a pen and WRITE THEM. It worked for me...after 3 weeks.

If nothing else, I don't wish to hammer up the break in they had last year..but my system went down precisely 4am on XMAS day, and only after 2 wks after I wrote was it suddenly and miraculously restored, as if out of the blue.

Until they replace their board of directors with a bunch of AI BOTS (and it won't be long, given how undertrained and innacurate their live support and non-existent online 'complaint' security team is).....my take is there's nothing else with a US address and a live human behind the tower of leaning live help from this ISP.

At this point, only the Celtics appear unbeatable-lol!

Contributor

• 

100 Messages

@user_bgca8h​  [Edited: Inflammatory] . Have talked to security over and over and had it escalated. No one knows anything. Now one security guy had me delete my  one email through Mac mail and add it back. It did not work. Message said Unable to verify account name or password. Have screenshot!! also when doing connection Dr IMAP  says something similar have screenshot. Have talked to over 8 people seemingly from all over the country!!!! One fella from the Phillippines tried..But nothing worked..... So [Edited: Inflammatory]  the FCC?? or who... I [Edited: Inflammatory] as do you..

(edited)

12 Messages

@jjohart​ Go Celts! (Always and forever a Boston fan.)

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

3 months ago

Hi, I'm having the same issue where its saying my IP is blacklisted.  Can one of the Xfinity reps send me a DM so I can provide you with my username along with IP?  I've got 2 xfinity emails and both of them are giving me the temporarily blacklisted IP error when trying to us email on my macbook / mail client.

New Poster

• 

24 Messages

@bearabout​ they wont be able to help or do anything. Don't waste your time. Check al the posts about this. Its not you, it's Comcast and they have ZERO idea how to fix this. The issue will come and go intermittently with no reason. We've all wasted hours of our life chasing a solution. My solution was to set my gmail to check the comcast account and pull my emails from there. Good luck!

12 Messages

@JeffreyP​ how did you do that exactly? Thinking it may be time to retire Comcast email and, alas, give in to Gmail.

Contributor

• 

100 Messages

Comcast is making us unable to connect to the IMAP server because [Edited: Inflammatory] the IP address!!  They act like they do not know  Ihave talked to over 8 people in security they are playing Dumb..Next move write FCC or write comcast president, but who knows he may be on it as well??? these issues  exist on their Forums  for others. [Edited: Inflammatory]....I will find a way..We should not be treated this way by corporate and big money makers who could care less of their clients!!!! [Edited: Inflammatory]...

(edited)

Expert

• 

30.8K Messages

@bluebird51​ 

I responded to your other post you made several hours ago.  Did you respond to the private message that @XfinityAlex sent to you?  He would be the person you need to work with on this issue.  However, since it's the weekend, he may not respond back until Monday.  But, you never know.

Expert

• 

30.8K Messages

@bluebird51 

To send a direct message:

Click "Sign In" if necessary

• Click the "Direct Message" icon in the upper right
• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon just to the right of Conversations
• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line not the Employee's name
• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
• Press Enter to send it

Instead of sending a DM you should click on the icon that I showed.  Alex's DM should be there.
But, if you aren't going to follow up with Alex, who actually can help you or give you the information you need, there's not much we can do for you here.  This is a help and support forum, not a complaint forum.

(edited)

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here