U

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

Wednesday, December 6th, 2023 5:19 AM

Closed

Sending Emails Fail after Required Comcast Password Update = authentication rejected

Comcast required me to update my Comcast password for security reasons when trying to log in to their site on 12/5/2023.

It had to be done from the main account holder account and not from the individual sub-email accounts.

This was done for two accounts.

I also updated the passwords on the accounts in two email programs and ever since then I can not send emails and I get the error message "authentication rejected " from Mailbird. Thunderbird also will not send.

I have other sub-email accounts that I did not change the passwords on Comcast and they still send fine, so it is appears to be a problem related to changing the passwords on Comcast.

It's very annoying when things get broken when companies make changes.

Any ideas?

Visitor

• 

1 Message

8 months ago

I am having the same problem.  it won’t except the new passwords I changed.    I have tried and tried and tried to send emails and cannot. With the amount of money I spend on Comcast/Xfinity. This is absolutely unacceptable. When you call you’re not allowed to talk to anyone they ask you to text. I’m 80 years old. Have arthritis in both hands. This  Unfair, the handicap and senior citizens.

Official Employee

• 

906 Messages

Hello @cynsu13. Thanks for taking the time to inform us about your email concerns. Please make sure to uninstall and reinstall any third party email software and try logging in again.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Frequent Visitor

• 

12 Messages

8 months ago

I am still having the same problem on an intermittent basis.  Sometimes I can access the sub accounts, sometimes I can see them but not send emails, sometimes (like now) I get the message "error failed to load messages.  RETRY"  Of course clicking the retry button does nothing.  Since I can get in sometimes and not others, I think Comcast is doing something to the accounts which is making them temporarily unavailable.  It would be nice if they told us.  Every time I waste time trying to fix things, they will suddenly reappear.  This has been going on so long its crazy!

Official Employee

• 

858 Messages

@Ayy@cynsu13 
Please ensure you've updated both your IMAP/POP and SMTP configurations in your third-party client. 

1) Ensure you can login via Webmail (make sure you know the password, etc)

2) Check to see if you can retrieve messages via IMAP (or POP if that's your preference, we recommend IMAP)

3) Check your SMTP/Outgoing configuration.  Ensure your password is updated there.

If you're still unable to send, feel free to send me a DM, and we can look at the logs to see what might be transpiring.

6 Messages

Alex, Xfinity keeps giving these standard directions, which we all have already done. Many of us have been having issues with our Comcast email for a while now (while using our Comcast emails on the web works fine). Posting this same guidance every time isn't helping anybody. Why are we all having this intermittent problem with our Comcast email when it's set up correctly on our computers? Is anyone working on a real solution to help us? We are paying for email service to get emails and be able to send them, but Xfinity is failing to provide that service. All we get is the runaround. The truth would be nice. A solution would be even better.

Contributor

• 

48 Messages

My Comcast Mail working to receive just fine in MS Outlook 365,  but sending still results in Permanent Error.    Before the forced password change i was having no issues with Comcast Email at all.     Is there a Permanent fix for this issue?   

Contributor

• 

54 Messages

8 months ago

The answer I received was to go to my iPhone, Mail, Accounts, and to delete the comcast account, then  re-add it. It just makes me so nervous to delete the account, because I also have the account on both my HP and Mac computers. I'll give it a try, though...

Official Employee

• 

858 Messages

@mmkrzus​ If your iPhone is configured for IMAP, the data should be on the servers.  If it's POP3, that depends on the client configuration.

Contributor

• 

54 Messages

@XfinityAlex​ Thanks. No idea what all that means, but I took my phone to the Comcast store, they changed my password, I changed it on all my devices, and now I'm getting the emails on all devices. Thank 

Not applicable

• 

3 Messages

8 months ago

Same problem. 
I get:
Sending of the message failed.
An error occurred while sending mail: Outgoing server (SMTP) error. The server responded:  resomta-c1p-022584.sys.comcast.net resomta-c1p-022584.sys.comcast.net Excessive failed authentication, ESMTP server temporarily not available.
I receive emails fine. Comcast does not seem to be sending a password request back to thunderbird as it used to when I try to send.
When I close and open thunderbird, the get email I am asked for my password once as usual. In the past I would also be asked again for my password on send but now I just get above message. 
This seemed to happen after my being required by comcast to reset my password although not exactly connected as looking now I did send many emails after the reset. However it could be that I had not shut down thunderbird and brought it up before having this issue. Not sure. 

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

858 Messages

I've responded in DM, and we're working through this.

This message typically happens when a device behind your router/firewall/NAT has an incorrect password and is constantly trying to send.  This could be your Email client's outbound/SMTP settings, or something like a camera monitoring your driveway.

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

Hello and welcome to Comcast @Anon125421. I am sorry to hear that you are having troubles with your email. It looks like you need to update your email password on your thunderbird email box. Here is a link https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/setting-up-thunderbird?view=app, on how to make sure everything is updated. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

8 months ago

I have had the same problem for the last month.  I have called Comcast, talked to their CSA team (who supposedly know more than the regular agents) 3 times.  the last time I spent 4 hours on the phone, being bounced from person to person.  They even connected me to an Apple Agent (I use Mac Mail) , who verified that my settings were all correct. She stayed on the phone with me while we connected with a Comcast Agent to assure the Agent that my settings were correct and that it was a Comcast problem.  Every Comcast person (including that one) that i spoke with blamed it on my computer; telling him/her that Windows people are having the same problem did nothing.  I have been unable to send emails from 3 of my 5 accounts, even though the settings are the same for all of them.  I have gone on the website (yes I can send emails from there) to make sure that the settings are correct there.  When is Comcast going to correct this problem instead of ignoring it????  They certainly have no problem charging us a lot of money to have an email account!  It's very unfortunate that they have a monopoly in terms of internet service where I live.

Official Employee

• 

858 Messages

@user_074b0f​ Please send me a DM, I'll see if we can get this sorted out.  I'll need the list of accounts that are involved.

(Click on my name, on the right side, you'll see a menu with three dots.  Should be an option to "Send a Message")

2 Messages

@user_074b0f​ It took me several days to figure out a similar problem that I had. The result for me (you may have a different problem) was actually a problem with the way that you reconfigure email server settings in Apple Mail (there appears to be a bug in Sonoma email). When I clicked on Mail > Settings > Accounts > select account > click on Server Settings > and then changed the Authentication there for the Outgoing Mail Server, the changes did not "stick" even though it looked like they had been modified. Instead, what I needed to do was to click Mail > Accounts > select email account > click Details > and change the password there. Then the outgoing password was permanently changed.

Not applicable

• 

3 Messages

8 months ago

After spending a lot of time verifying my stuff was correct in thunderbird which I knew it was since I hadn't changed it, agent said try  to add new default outgoing server settings (then delete old ones so still had my old stuff there). I said that didn't work to which he replied oh wait let me clear your reputation. Oh yes, of course now it works! Why didn't he do that first ? But why was my reputation messed up? They were right as in the end I found that somehow microsoft office which I had used once for some reason but no more and  it defaulted there at some point that day for some online thing I was doing that brought up office mail  so it was running again and trying to get or send mail but since comcast had made me change my password recently it had the wrong password. The weird thing is I don't recall setting up office to get my emails.

Somehow I must have...so that was the culprit and they were right it was not their fault. 

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

I am glad to hear that you are back up and running normal again. If you happen to experience any issues again the future, please do not hesitate to call or reach our for help. We are always available and happy to assist. 

1 Message

6 months ago

I have been having problems for 2 days now.  I can only get my email on the web-browser.  The mail icon on my Iphone (through 3rd party) is not working.  It was suggested that I delete the account and re-add it.  Reluctantly, I deleted it and now we cannot re-add it.  I was told to call Xfinity to find out why they are rejecting my credentials.  I cannot turn off the authentication...it says it does not support it.  So, what do I do?  The view from the web browser is not as clean and clear and I need to be able to see emails regarding my husband's medical visits.  Googling the problem suggests my email may have a virus.  Can you please help me?

Official Employee

• 

858 Messages

@user_rpf51m​ I would contact CSA and have them review your settings, and the logs they see on our side.  They should be able to tell you if it's being rejected for an improper password, or something else is going on.

1 Message

6 months ago

Many seem to be having problems with authentication. Xfinity keeps saying "send a DM....", reason is they don't want to disclose user IDs. Here's a thought Xfinity, pick 2 success stories where you guys resolved this, delete user's personal details and post the solution here. Let's see if you guys actually have a solution besides "check email settings"

Official Employee

• 

858 Messages

@user_01p3qf​ This usually is related to a forgotten device or three (webcam, smart fridge, kid's iPad, you get the idea) with improper credentials causing an issue where the platform views the traffic as an attack.  Hence asking for a DM where they provide a username.  There are some number of variables that can impact this.  We're not necessarily trying to hide any solution, but we can't post usernames, IPs, or HELO strings and so on into a Forums post (nor should the customer).  Those pieces of information can help people solve their problem.

So the general advice is to please re-check your devices, because that really is the solution.  Even if you setup email in something a long time ago, but you haven't used it in years, it may still be trying to send email or validate that the credentials are usable.  Some devices require updates in more than one place.

We've come across devices that attempt to send messages every tenth of a second (I don't know why either) .. that's 864,000 times per day with incorrect credentials.

Official Employee

• 

858 Messages

@user_01p3qf If you need help with a specific issue, please let me know.

1 Message

My email works fine for few days and it starts failing on authentication. Then in couple of days just starts working fine. Then fails again. Happens for Comcast emails. No issues with gmail.

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

Hi, user_h19ojo! Thanks for taking the time to visit us over our forums page for help with the emails failing. I rely on my emails to work correctly for my business so I understand the inconvenience that this can cause you. I am sorry to learn about this experience. We can help. When this happens on the Comcast emails, are you using a third-party email client or does it happen on our webportal as well? 

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

5 months ago

The same thing is happening to me. I spent 3 hours with Comcast last night and got nowhere.😵‍💫

Official Employee

• 

858 Messages

@rkolb174​ Feel free to send me a DM with the username you're having an issue with.  I'll look at our detailed logs to see what I can find.

1 Message

5 months ago

Same here today.   Comcast/xfinity is worthless for help tooo.   Sooooo frustrating and annoying.   Both my outlook emails on my laptop and cellphone no longer work for reasons of silly password change.  Leave working things alone!!  Then my phone (xfinity mobile) hangs up on most calls.   I want a refund for my time and inconvenience.

Official Employee

• 

858 Messages

@user_9w8oj4​ I believe Outlook has two places to change the password.  Both the receiving and the sending configurations need to be updated.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here