U

Visitor

• 

10 Messages

Wednesday, October 27th, 2021 6:52 PM

Closed

Outgoing server error - Excessive failed authentication ESMTP server temp. not available

I am a former xfinity subscriber that kept my email address.  I access my email through Thunderbird. I am able to send one, possibly two e-mails a day before I receive the following error message:

Sending of the message failed.
An error occurred while sending mail: Outgoing server (SMTP) error. The server responded:  resomta-ch2-07v.sys.comcast.net resomta-ch2-07v.sys.comcast.net Excessive failed authentication, ESMTP server temporarily not available, please contact support.

I see several folks have had this same issue in the past but saw no resolution posted.  I receive email just fine in Thunderbird and sometimes can send a message out but it isn't reliable at all.  I log into Xfinity and can send the message out just fine so I don't think it is a password issue since that didn't seem to fix any of the folks before either.  I am hoping someone can help me resolve this issue.  Thanks. Ann

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

3 years ago

Hello @user_ca1552, thank you for reaching out to us for help with your email configuration. We will be glad to help with this however we can! Can you please follow this link: Configure Mozilla Thunderbird 17.0 and Up for Comcast.net Email - Xfinity Support, and make sure that your Thunderbird email configuration matches the information provided in this article? It sounds like you can receive emails just fine, but have trouble ending, so we want to make sure that the Outgoing Server (SMTP) is correctly configured. 

Visitor

• 

10 Messages

@XfinityRyanE Thank you for getting back to me.  I checked the Thunderbird settings and they match the Outgoing Server ones shown in the article.

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

Thank you for checking on that for us, your time and efforts are truly appreicated. By chance have your tried removing your Xfinity email account from Thunderbird, and then re-adding it? If not, please try removing the account and setting it up following the instructions in the link provided. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

10 Messages

I deleted my email account from Thunderbird. Closed down Thunderbird and relaunched Thunderbird.  Then I added the email account according to the instructions. I then tried to send a test message and got the same error.

Sending of the message failed.
An error occurred while sending mail: Outgoing server (SMTP) error. The server responded:  resomta-ch2-14v.sys.comcast.net resomta-ch2-14v.sys.comcast.net Excessive failed authentication, ESMTP server temporarily not available, please contact support.

Problem Solver

• 

874 Messages

Thank you for trying those steps @user_ca1552. I am sorry to hear that didn't work as we had hoped. Let's get a little more specific. We know the Comcast email works and you can use it through the Xfinity website to send and receive email. What type of device do you use the third-party mail client on (phone, computer, laptop)? Have you attempted to reach out to Thunderbird for support yet? Just doing some quick investigating and it appears Thunderbird requires Java to be enabled. Do you have Java enabled on your device? I am sure working together we will get to the bottom of this.   

I no longer work for Comcast.

Visitor

• 

10 Messages

I am using a computer with Windows 10 Home installed.  This is the only device I use to read email.  I don't think I have Java installed but if that were the case why does it work sometimes and not work other times?  I haven't reached out to Thunderbird since so many folks have had this experience in the past and Thunderbird always sent them back to Comcast.

As mentioned by Bruce below, I don't sync my email (sync is turned off on the PC and phone) ....that I know of.  I only use the computer to do email.   How would I find the offending program, app or device?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

3 years ago

@user_ca1552  wrote: "... Excessive failed authentication, ESMTP server temporarily not available ..."

That phrase usually means you have a program, app, or device that is periodically trying to sync email using an invalid UserID/password. If the number of login attempts exceeds the mail server's threshold it responds with that error message.

The fix is to locate the offending program, app, or device and update its settings.

Visitor

• 

10 Messages

My cell phone and tablet are turned off and the problem still exists.  Any advice on how to find the offending program, app or device?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

3 years ago

@user_ca1552 wrote: "... Any advice on how to find the offending program, app or device?"

An employee should be able to help you figure out what is happening, as @XfinityGabrielS did for a customer with a different problem in https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/email/continuing-issues-with-legitimate-emails-being-sent-to-spam-folder/61703e9e24e8282ebaebb263?commentId=617844ff356f1c35c0ad4a21.

Visitor

• 

10 Messages

3 years ago

I discovered my tablet had sync turned on for the Google Mail app and an old password for my comcast.net account.  I logged into my comcast.net email account with the latest password.  It downloaded all of the emails and then I turned sync off on that device.  I will see if this fixed my Thunderbird issue in the coming days.  I will post an update once a few days and emails have been successful.

Official Employee

• 

6.9K Messages

Thanks! Please keep us posted. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Visitor

• 

10 Messages

It has been a couple of days since I fixed the login issue on my tablet.  So far I haven't seen the failure message but I haven't been real active with email either.  I will continue to monitor and post another update next week.  Ann

Official Employee

• 

2.2K Messages

We really appreciate that update and your time in reaching back out! We are here 24/7 if you do run into any additional issues! We look forward to your update next week! 

Visitor

• 

10 Messages

So it seems that fixing the login on my tablet has cleared this issue.  I also turned off 'sync' on the tablet as I don't need to read my email on that device anymore.  Thanks to Bruce for his comment/explanation as I wasn't even aware the tablet was trying to sign in.  So my approach was powering off all of the other devices and waiting at least a day to try to send emails, since right after powering the tablet and phone off the issue still occurred.  Then powering one on and checking to see if it was trying to access my email.  If you have several devices this could take a while but I am just happy the issue is resolved, in my case anyway.  Maybe this will help someone else who is experiencing the same failure message.

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

@user_ca1552. Great to hear! I appreciate your time working on it.

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

I am having exactly the same problem since yesterday, also using Thunderbird. Website works fine.

Error message:

An error occurred while sending mail: Outgoing server (SMTP) error. The server responded:  resomta-h1p-027918.sys.comcast.net resomta-h1p-027918.sys.comcast.net Excessive failed authentication, ESMTP server temporarily not available.

Visitor

• 

10 Messages

@PeterSpier

My issue returned just the other day too.  Over the holidays I started reading my email on my phone since I was away.  It took about a month since I logged in on my phone for the server to start complaining again.  It really isn't Thunderbird...it is your mail provider.  As soon as I had the issue I checked all of my devices again and then discovered my email was still logged in and running on my phone.  I closed the email app on the phone and waited a couple of hours before trying to send email from the PC again.  The Outgoing Server issue cleared and I haven't experienced any issues since.  I hope this helps you. Ann

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

I'm only using the one device.

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

I just received a callback fro the security team. The mail is now working again, though it isn't clear why. Either something has been reset at comcast or the router and modem reboot I did this morning fixed the issue, so we've closed my trouble ticket.

Visitor

• 

10 Messages

Well...the saga continues.  Today around Noon I started getting the failure message again.  I checked my phone and the email app is still disabled.  I turned my phone off and I still have the same problem.  Maybe I'll try resetting my router and modem.  If that doesn't work here goes another call into Comcast.  I wonder if I can get to the security team directly? It sure is an aggravating situation. Ann

Problem Solver

• 

502 Messages

I'm sorry this issue is still occurring for you, @user_ca1552 ! Did a reset of the modem and router help?

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here