U

Friday, May 31st, 2024 3:07 AM

Former Customer -Getting Error Message for email - Need help -credential or authentication information does not work

Former Customer with Comcast.net email accounts still open.  3 of them have the following message and will not open. Need help. "The entered credential or authentication information does not work or are no longer accepted by provider."   Need help how to fix this. 

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

4 months ago

Hello user_joyceM, thank you for reaching out to our Forum for help with your email access issues. I hope you've been having a great night outside this email issue. I have a few questions to help get us started on the same page and going in the right direction. Are you attempting to access your email using a 3rd party email client? If so, are you able to access your email using the Xfinity Connect site?

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

I hope you don't if I chime in as well. I am in the same position, former customer, as of this morning I have been unable to access email from 3rd part app and also from my phone. I can confirm that I can access email from https://connect.xfinity.com/. The other household accounts have also been impacted.

Has something changed, a policy etc?  How long can we continue to use a comcast email address?
Thanks Dennis

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

oz4evermore Thank you for reaching out and checking different locations beforehand. Recently there was an update to permissions when accessing your email through third party email programs. 

If you currently use a third-party program to read your email, the security setting is checked by default. If you don’t currently use a third-party program, the setting is unchecked and you won’t have access to these programs. You can easily change this setting at any time by checking the box and turning on access. Here’s how.

Update email security settings

1. Sign in to Xfinity Email using your Xfinity ID and password.
  2. In the top-right corner, click the Gear icon, then select Settings.
  3. Click Security.
  4. Uncheck the box under Third Party Access Security to prevent third-party programs access to your Xfinity Email, or check the box to allow access.

You can read more on this here. Please let us know if this helps! 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

Thank you for reply.

I do recall the email sometime ago and found that it continues to be checked: "Allow access to my Xfinity Email through third-party programs."
I believe this to be the correct setting: checked.

Has anything else changed? 

Would you mind confirming that 3rd party apps are still operational.

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

Yes, correct. If you are looking to keep accessing your email through a third-party email program this would be what you would want checked. 

Will changing the email security settings affect how I receive emails or manage my mailbox?
If you don’t have the Access Security box checked, you may receive an error message when you try to set up your Xfinity Email through a third-party program. This is the only change you may experience.

(Outlook, Google, Apple Mail, Thunderbird, and more are still part of the compatible third-party email programs) 

Have you been able to access your email since the account was disconnected? Here are a few points to remember when using email on a disconnected account: 

Under the policy on Xfinity Email activity, users should log in to their mailbox once every 12 months to keep their email account active. You can view the status of your email account on xfinity.com. An email account can have one of two account statuses:

• Active
    • Email account has been logged in to at least once within the past 12 months.
    • Additionally, email accounts with auto-forwarding enabled are considered active regardless of when the last login to the account occurred.
  • Inactive
    • Email account hasn't been logged in to in the past 12 months.

Note: Your Inactive account status will change to Active upon logging in to the email account.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

I can connect to the website: https://connect.xfinity.com/

Since I can log in and see current email using the website, I have the correct account and password and the account appears active.

No luck still with iPhone & Outlook.

I decided to delete the account on my phone and re-establish the account. The message I get on my iphone is "looking up...", "Verifying" and then the message "Comcast is currently not available."

This is a very new problem within the last 24 hours for me.

5 Messages

4 months ago

I can't connect through https://connect.xfinity.com/ or a 3rd party such as Outlook for 3 of my accounts but can for 2 of them.  This started on about 5/26/24.   What happened or changed?

Thank you

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

user_joyceM, Understood, I appreciate you taking time from your weekend to provide those details. Have you logged into the Xfinity Connect website with the 3 impacted emails within the last year? 

5 Messages

yes, I log into them all at least 1 time per month

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

user_joyceM, perfect, thanks for clearing that up. Have you tried reseting the password to one of the emails since it started happening?

5 Messages

yes, I have for all 3, nothing changed, still got the same message for all 3.  See below

[Removed image: "Personal Information"]

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

Perfect, thanks for doing that and it strange it is still showing after changing. Since it is the credentials, and agent may need to help. Our Customer Security Assurance team can help and their site here has their contact information.

New Poster

• 

8 Messages

3 months ago

Did you ever get any successful resolution to this situation from the Customer Security Assurance team (or whomever)?  I am still experiencing the very same issue… it having surfaced for the first time in mid-May, involving just two of our three email accounts???   Most frustrating!

Contributor

• 

29 Messages

3 months ago

(Former customer)  My problem is this and this is not the first time it happened.  I have multiple email accounts.  I access them all through the web.  I do not use a third party client such as Outlook or Thunderbird.  I have them set up as subaccounts of my main account, IE:  Main

1

2  and so on.

I kept getting error messages on the subaccounts saying my credentials were invalid, etc.  I reviewed everything and it was correct.  I deleted and tried to add the subaccounts again, and I can't do it.   Again, I get the message that the credentials are invalid, etc.  I can log into the accounts individually so I haven't been hacked.  The last time this happened, the reason was my antivirus software turned on the VPN; once I turned it off, everything was fine.  That's not the problem this time.  Can anyone help?

New Poster

• 

8 Messages

Am experiencing the exact situation.  Everything was fine until May 16-19 time frame.  Something obviously changed on the Comcast/Xfinity end then, involving both of our @Comcast.net sub-accounts. The main email account still seems to work.  Need to reverse/correct this, please!

Official Employee

• 

537 Messages

@purplemintpatty Have you attempted to reset your password for each account you're having difficulties signing in with and/or the primary account? You can reset your password using xfinity.com/password

Contributor

• 

29 Messages

@XfinityBradM​ If you read my post, you misunderstood.  I can access the accounts individually.  I have them set up as subaccounts under my main account, and this is where the problem is.  I have changed the passwords.  The issue is still the same.  As a subaccount under my main email, the accounts won't open.  It's not a password issue.  I have to access them individually.  I'm guessing there is some glitch with my main account, but I can't find it.  I have been using Comcast's email for probably close to 20 years.  I don't use a 3rd party email client such as Outlook.  Oh, and I can no longer access my email on my phone or tablet, and this problem existed when I was actually a Comcast/Xfinity customer.  I have already considered ditching the email completely, but there are medical and financial things attached to it that would be very difficult to change without creating a new account.

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

Thank you for clarifying the email issue you're having when attempting to access your subaccounts. Have you by any chance attempted to contact our Customer Security Assurance team to help you with this? If not, please visit their website to file a report. They'll be able to help find a solution to this problem you're experiencing https://internetsecurity.xfinity.com/help/report-abuse.

1 Message

@purplemintpatty​ curious if a fix for the errors with subaccounts was identified. I am now having the same problem

1 Message

3 months ago

I'm having the exact same issue.  Stopped being able to access my secondary comcast email account with the following error, "The entered credential or authentication information does not work or are no longer accepted by provider. Please change them."

This started on 5/26/2024.  PLEASE FIX ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

New Poster

• 

8 Messages

“Ditto” that!!!

I made no changes whatsoever on my end which would have caused this frustrating issue.  Whatever was changed or done — on the Xfinity / Comcast.net side of the equation … and this problem surfaced for me in mid-May (16th-19th) — needs to be reversed and remedied; please!

(edited)

1 Message

3 months ago

Similar issue here.  Updated to newer iPhone and went to reconnect comcast email and it says incorrect password.

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

Thank you for reaching out to us @user_57veje! Could you please reset/change the password for your Xfinity email following the steps in this link here?

After changing the password, please log out/remove the email from your iPhone’s mail app. Then please make sure your email has third party access enabled. To enable third-party access to apps such as Apple mail, please:
Sign in to your comcast email through the website here
Select the settings (gear icon) in the top right
Select “Email Settings” below the gear icon
Select “Security” in the top left
Make sure the box below “Third Party Access Security” is checked.

After changing the password, deleting/removing the email from your iPhone’s mail app settings, and enabling third-party access we will want to follow the steps in this article to make sure the Xfinity email is correctly added the email app on your iPhone.

1 Message

same issue, sub email accounts are not working on the web site or in third party email clients.  I try changing the password but still get the error that the credentials are not correct.

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

Hi there @user_zbqlpo. I am sorry to hear that you are still having troubles with your email address. You have reached the right team and we are happy to assist you today. 

Please send us a direct chat message with your full name and complete service address to “Xfinity Support”. To do so, click on the chat icon located at the top right of this forums page.
Here's the detailed steps to direct message us: 
 • Click "Sign In" if necessary
 • Click the "Direct Message” icon (upper right corner of this page)
 • Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
 • Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list
 • Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
 • Press Enter to send your message

Let me know if you have any questions.

4 Messages

Folks, I have the same issue on some of my "sub accounts".  I do not use third party apps, but access online using the Xfinity app.  Completely locked out.  I went back and forth on this forum for several days doing all of the things suggested here with zero results.  As for filing a report with the security team, that website is for abuse and there is no option for this problem.  Bottom line apparently nobody at Xfinity has a clue about what's going on.  If anybody comes up with an answer please post back.  This problem has all kinds of unintended consequences, some of which are critical.

1 Message

1 month ago

I have the exact same issue. Since May 28,2024 was the last time I could access my email. I have had my email address for over 20 years and it will not allow me to reset the password. I have a different email address associated with my current xfinity account but its not the one I often use. I normally use the email app through my phone and not by signing on to xfinity. Sounds like many others have this same issue and there is no solution ?

New Poster

• 

8 Messages

Same situation here on my end.  MOST frustrating! 🤨

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

user_4wtx67 Thank you so much for using our Forums and contacting our team. We are happy to work with you to see how we can help with your email access. Can you please send us a DM with your name and address to get started? Here's the detailed steps to direct message us: 
• Click "Sign In" if necessary 
• Click the "Direct Message" icon (upper right corner of this page) 
• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon 
• Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list 
• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window 
• Press Enter to send your message

Official Employee

• 

921 Messages

Hi there, @drich17! Could you provide some details on what exactly you're experiencing? We would like to assist. Thanks! 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here