U

10 Messages

Saturday, January 27th, 2024 7:11 PM

Closed

Unlocked Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra Incompatible With Xfinity Network

I just received a new unlocked Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra that I purchased directly from Samsung. Upon trying to switch my Xfinity Mobile Service from my current device to the S24 Ultra, it's saying that my device is incompatible. I've gone round and round with Xfinity support with no solution. I've spoken with Samsung Support, who say that it's unlocked on their end. I took the device to the local Xfinity store and the agent there said there is something in the front of the phone that is "too technologically advanced" to be compatible with Xfinity. Yet, the store is taking pre-orders for the exact same phone! I'm basically happy with Xfinity mobile, and didn't want to change, but this is puzzling and irritating. Can anyone help me with this?

1 Message

6 months ago

Same issue. I went to the local store and they said that it wasn't compatible. Said I should return it so Samsung and get the Verizon version. 

27 Messages

6 months ago

Same issue here. I don't see how an unlocked phone would work on Verizon but not Xfinity. My current Note 10+ is unlocked and works just fine on Xfinity. I think the Xfinity agents just don't know what the issue is and are pulling answers out of their [Edited: Languag].

(edited)

Visitor

• 

21 Messages

I dealt with this a couple of years ago when trying to move a purchased-unlocked Samsung S10+ that I had been using with AT&T to Xfinity Mobile. Xfinity looked up my IMEI code and said it was "incompatible" with their network. Even though it was technologically identical to another family member's "Compatible" "AT&T-locked" S10+ phone that had been purchased for full price and then  unlocked with a code from AT&T. And even though the *Verizon* network (which Xfinity uses as their backbone) said it was compatible.

The difference==a model number. In this case "SM-G975UCKEATT" was in Xfinity's "compatible list" while "SM-G975UCKEXAA" wasn't (also listed as a "...U" vs. "...U1" model); Full Stop, with Xfinity telling me "ATT" vs. "XAA" "made all the difference in the world". "And we can't do anything about that" was the endless refrain no matter how many people and levels I contacted--the front-line people wouldn't even spend a moment investigating after "the computer says it's incompatible". That included letters to XM's VP(s) of Tech and CEO.

= Samsung Galaxy S10+ unlocked phone
Model Name: SM-G975U
Model Number: SM-G975UCKEXAA  <---
 On phone, "About phone" says Model number SM-G975U1  <---
= Samsung Galaxy S10+ AT&T-locked phone
Model Name: SM-G975U
Model Number: SM-G975UCKEATT  <+++
 On phone, "About phone" says Model number SM-G975U  <+++

Out of the blue, a year later, I happened to check my IMEI at Xfinity and it was *now* listed as "compatible". I have no idea if all of my complaining did anything or if somebody just happened to refresh the Xfinity list from Verizon, or ??

Now, in Jan 2024 I'm considering an upgrade to an S24-series and have no idea what will work or not work. Your experience suggests history may repeat itself. A visit to an Xfinity store gave me "we can can only tell you if a phone will work by checking the IMEI" (which I can't get without a purchased phone in my hands). And "if you buy the phone from Xfinity, even paying full price to unlock, or paying if off after purchase, or waiting for the 24-month contract to expire, it takes 3-months before we'll let you unlock it [give you the code]". While locked, you can't use a foreign SIM or eSIM(s) while traveling, which is the key reason I want the unlocked phone in the first place.

(edited)

1 Message

Would a new S24 Ultra locked to Verizon phone need to be unlocked prior to activating it on Xfinity? I Just looked at Verizon's unlocking policy online and it states that a new phone stays locked for 60 days after activation.

Visitor

• 

21 Messages

In general, yes, a phone must be Unlocked (from another vendor -- Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, etc. or new from the Mfg) before XM will allow its use on their network.

In the case of Unlocking, XM support told me they won't unlock a phone until it's *fully paid* for (bought at full price, paid off early, or end of 2yr contract) *plus* 3-months. I'm assuming that Verizon's policy is similar, and that the "new phone stays locked for 60 days after activation" *also* requires that you've paid Verizon the the full contract price.

Based on my experience above, it wasn't *enough* that the phone be unlocked but XM had to *also* have it in their "Compatible" database. In my case Xfinity, which is supposedly using Verizon's network but apparently not their full database as "Compatible," wouldn't accept my phone since the *exact* model (different suffix for Samsung-Unlocked) wasn't in their list.

But Xfinity support doesn't look things up by "Model" but only by IMEI. So they won't blanket-tell you that model-number X is supported/not-supported, but only per phone by IMEI. And you can't have them do that until you've ordered, paid for, and have the specific Unlocked phone in your hand so you can find the IMEI. At which time they'll tell you "No!" (or "Yes") and you're xOOL.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

6 months ago

Hello, @user_vbuagv . Thank you for reaching out. Unfortunately, we are a bit limited when it comes to assisting our Xfinity Mobile customers over our Community Forums, and social media. We can help with general questions, and troubleshooting. Since this is a device specific concern, we would have to direct you to the Xfinity Mobile Team. 

• SMS Text Message: 888-936-4968
• Phone: 888-936-4968
Direct Chat

3 Messages

That direct chat is a complete waste of time.

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

Spoke to someone in the chat and over the phone and no one could help.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

6 months ago

I have the exact same issue. I just received my second unlocked S24 Ultra from Samsung and Xfinity is saying it is not compatible. I can't get any help from either Xfinity Mobile or Samsung!

10 Messages

I actually just decided to change carriers. I hate that it came to that, but Xfinity Customer Service was a complete nightmare. 

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

I'm so sorry we made you feel that way. I'd really hate to see you go but be happy to help you cancel. Please send me a private message to Xfinity Support with your full name and full address by clicking the chat icon in the top right, and I'll get started on that for yo. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

27 Messages

@XfinityAntoine​ Sounds like he already cancelled and went with one of your competitors. You guys ran him through the ringer, and still nobody there has a clue why all these Samsung S24U's purchased direct from Samsung as well as the ones purchased direct from Xfinity can't be activated.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

If there happens to be anything we can assist you with, please do not hesitate to ask. Are team is available and always happy to help. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

9 Messages

@user_g3hrba​ agreed! It's ridiculous, total by Verizon isn't working either. I checked xfinity and that one, neither say it's compatible, how is an unlocked phone directly from saunsung not compatible when they are selling the same one.. 

10 Messages

6 months ago

Update: Dealing with Xfinity Customer Service on this matter was horrible. On one occasion, I was somehow given a different phone number and had to spend another hour getting THAT problem taken care of. On another occasion, my service was suspended. I believe the second incident was done on purpose by an Xfinity Chat agent because he was irritated with me. At any rate, I transferred my service to another carrier and all is well. I believe that was my only option. It was a 3 day ordeal that illustrated to me that Xfinity Mobile Customer Service is possibly the worst on Earth.

9 Messages

@user_vbuagv​ where did you change to and did you get it working with them? Id hate to switch mine and 2 other lines over but it's ridiculous to buy a brand new unlocked phone and not be able to use it. They should send imei numbers prior to ordering so people can check I guess if it's going to cause all these issues. I've wasted so much time on chats and the phone with different companies support. I'm over it. Phone will go back soon and I'll wait to get it later on if it doesn't work by February 1st.

10 Messages

I changed to Visible, which is through Verizon. It was compatible with no issues. So far I'm happy with Visible

1 Message

6 months ago

I have the same issue and they should be held responsible, who would know unlocked devices are not compatible and who would get the IMEI before buying the phone to check if it's compatible!! Xfinity should be held liable to compensate clients for this 

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

Thank you for reaching out to us @user_iy1vum!  Due to account security, our options with Xfinity Mobile accounts are very limited. We're unable to perform any device or account specific requests over this platform.

Have you tried calling or texting 888-936-4968, or reached out to our secure online chat where an Xfinity Mobile expert is available 24/7?

1 Message

@XfinityAldrik​ Hate to break it to you mate, you're fighting a losing battle.

New Poster

• 

7 Messages

6 months ago

This is so ridiculous! I am having the same problem. Even mint, spectrum, visible mobile sees my device but xfinity says not compatible.  

Official Employee

• 

991 Messages

@PHANTOM Thank you for sharing the trouble you are having as well. I see this has been an inconvience for many, and I truly am sorry for that. Our team does not have access to the mobile services or support options as this time. We unfortunately are not able to see if there are any known issues or trouble with activations on this side internally, but If you have tried to contact our mobile team by chat and phone and are still having an issue I would be happy to reach out to our peers on your behalf to help figure out why the activation is not available. Based on some others details it seems that file should have become available by now. Have you been able to activate your phone? 

3 Messages

6 months ago

From the Samsung Tech support team ::: 

I would like to explain the current situation regarding carrier activation. Samsung has delivered its devices to users before the official delivery date, which was set for Jan 31. However, the carrier team is currently unaware of the new Samsung device, which is why they are unable to activate the carrier service. We kindly ask for patience for few days until carrier team receives the necessary information to activate the services 

10 Messages

This is the thing that infuriates me about Customer Service from almost all companies. I personally called Samsung Customer Service twice, and they certainly didn't pass this information on to me. Both times, the agent said the device was unlocked and compatible with ALL CARRIERS. But, regardless of if this issue is cleared up, Xfinity Customer Service was completely ridiculous when I tried to find resolution. I'm glad I switched to Visible By Verizon. I tried to give Xfinity multiple chances and they failed.

3 Messages

Finally got my phone activated today..... looks like the issue was as explained by Samsung tech support

27 Messages

6 months ago

Anyone get their S24 activated yet?

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

Hey @user_g3hrba,

Thanks for visiting our official Xfinity Community Forums page. Have you attempted to call our Xfinity Mobile team? I am not too sure if related, but today is the official release day for the Samsung devices. Maybe they have access to some additional information to get the device added to the account.

27 Messages

@XfinityDemitrius​ Are you serious after all the [Edited: "Language"] your "team" has put people though the last week? If I can't get these 2 phones activated myself online, I'll just move to Verizon like many others have already.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

We appreciate your feedback, but we are unaware if there are any issues with adding certain Samsung devices. Our Xfinity Mobile team would be able to provide any additional information if available and review the account. If there happens to be any Xfinity product or service issues we can assist you with, please do not hesitate to ask. 

27 Messages

@XfinityDemitrius​ So to recap, you guys are still clueless as to the issue so many are experiencing.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

6 months ago

I have been to the store and on chat with both Xfinity and Samsung.  I was finally told at the store that I had to wait until 1/31 to activate it.  Still no luck.

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

We are sorry to hear that you are still experiencing issues activating your new device @ice27. We'd be happy to get a ticket submitted to further assist. To get started, can you please send us a Direct Message with your first and last name along with the service address on the account? To send a "Direct Message" ("Private") message: Click "Sign In" if necessary

• Click the "Direct Message chat" icon
  • Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
  • Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line
  • Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
  • Press Enter to send it

9 Messages

The person I just spoke to on chat basically told me they are clueless, then tried to talk me into purchasing it through them before I returned the one to Samsung by telling me the buy one get one line is ending tonight when it says 3/21 right on their site lol. I'm done with all these companies to be honest. I have total by Verizon who is clueless, was going to switch if xfinity was better but they very obviously are not. Visible told me not until the 13th, so I seriously don't think anyone knows. Would be great if Samsung would figure it out and fix it! 

10 Messages

I was able to get service for my S24 Ultra through Visible with no problem.

Contributor

• 

24 Messages

6 months ago

Well I tried to get my S24 (unlocked straight from Samsung) activated again this evening.  No luck! I am currently using it after swapping my sim from my (unlocked straight from Samsung S22).  Most things work, so I know it is compatible (Voicemail doesn't work), but their site keeps saying it is not compatible after I enter the IMEI.  I continue to be amazed that Xfinity has no official answer for this.  All they need to tell us is if it is compatible or not compatible and if it is compatible when can we activate it.  Their business mission statement undoubtedly must include something about keeping their customers in the dark.  I will try again tomorrow, and after that I will need to make a decision.  I think Xfinity may lose more than they think if they continue to ignore this.

9 Messages

Try going into your setting with the Sim card in your old phone, go to settings then connections then go to mobile networks  and then "access point names" write down the name in your old phone (with the Sim in it) exactly as it's shown. Then swap the Sim back to your new phone and do the same thing and see if your access point name matches, if it does not, click on it and it should take you to edit the name, click APN and type in the name from the old phone onto new phone to match exactly. Then restart your phone. Someone gave me this tip and it worked for me. My vm works now when it didn't before! 

Contributor

• 

24 Messages

6 months ago

Noticed in another thread that people that bought their S24 phones from Xfinity are updating on the system automatically.  Seems the rest of us are being "punished" for buying from Samsung.  This type of attitude is why I have never purchased an Apple product.  Still do not know if they will accept the S24s that came from Samsung or not. They won't even tell us.

9 Messages

Yeah they tried to push it on me last night to get it through them right then and there and to then return the one from Samsung tomorrow. Like what.. How about fix the problem so people who bought their phones can use the. We bought unlocked phones for a reason. 

This was my first thought and was made clear on my last call to XM support. I have never had such an issue with a carrier. I regret making the switch from Tmobile where literally every representative was well informed and could actually clearly speak English. No offense meant to support team but their grasp on the concepts being discussed is limited. And there seems to be a language barrier that thwarts every attempt. 

Additionally, I have a promotion on a 15 pro max that I want to keep and use on another line on the account but have been given mixed signals about whether or not I will lose the promortion. this is infuriating and knowing that even after you pay a device in full they keep it locked for 60 days. Unbelievable. 

2 Messages

@greeman3​ I purchased an s24 ultra through samsung and xfinity let me switch my Sim card from my s22 ultra, no problem. I hope this helps. :)

Official Employee

• 

615 Messages

@user_vbuagv Are you still having incompatibility issues with your S24?

27 Messages

6 months ago

I have both of our phones working for the most part using our old sim cards, but the Xfinity system shows our sims are now paired with Motorola Moto e5's. Also no voicemail and if I try to set that up it bumps us off the Xfinity network and we have to restart the phones to get back on. What a joke this has become. Everybody was patiently waiting until the actual launch date hoping things would correct themselves. But we are now a day past the official launch date, and still a major act of buffoonery on Xfinity's part. 

Official Employee

• 

2.2K Messages

@user_g3hrba

I appreciate you taking time out of your day and I want to ensure you’re able to get in touch with an Xfinity Mobile expert to help get this resolved. Due to account security, our options with Xfinity Mobile accounts are very limited. We're unable to perform any device or account specific requests over this platform. Please reach out to our Xfinity Mobile team with the options below. 

Text Message: 1 (888) 936-4968
Phone: 1 (888) 936-4968
Chat: xfinity.com/xfinityassistant/?channel=xMobile

27 Messages

@XfinityDena​ Your canned replies are not helping at all, plus your "Mobile experts" are clueless and haven't helped a single person with this issue. As a matter of fact your "Mobile experts" have made matters worse for many people.

Official Employee

• 

2.2K Messages

I am sorry you feel this way @user_g3hrba As stated we have limited access and the dedicated Xfinity Mobile team has all the tools to assist you with your mobile services. You can also visit a local service center for assistance. I would suggest making an appointment and then visit the service center if you would like to speak with them directly. Here is a link: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/schedule-appointment-online that will help you with making the appointment online. If you are needing any assistance in locating a service center you can follow this link: https://www.xfinity.com/support/service-center-locations/ to locate one near you. You can also walk in at anytime during business hours and our team will be happy to help!

Visitor

• 

21 Messages

Your "dedicated Xfinity Mobile team" knows nothing. They're caught in a "The computer says it's incompatible" and "we only guarantee support for phones purchased directly from Xfinity" loop and will go no farther. It's the "Compatibility Database" that's driving everything, and based on my previous experience I can nearly guarantee that the carrier-branded "...U" model phones are in the list while the "...U1" Samsung unlocked models aren't. It's even more annoying because the unlocked models are in *Verizon's" original list, so XM has to go to the trouble of *removing* them when importing/copying the list for XM. *Earn* the hate.
Xfinity tech knows this by now after years of the same, and could solve it by testing (aka "qualifying" -- a deep dark process that requires endless hours & efforts) the Samsung unlocked models. There's really not much to "test" since they're the same phones with some different model text. But I'm sure management has made the decision that inconveniencing many potential/ex-customers is worth it for the sake of selling more Xfinity-branded (bloatware) locked phones.

2 Messages

@user_g3hrba​ I'm having the same issue...is says I'm connected to a Motorola instead of my galaxys24 ultra

10 Messages

6 months ago

That is so ridiculous. Xfinity Customer Service is a joke. 

27 Messages

Phone support agent just told me I have to return these to Samsung and buy the phones from them. Told me the Samsung version is not a "Bring Your Own Phone" that's compatible with Xfinity.

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

I am very sorry to hear that the phone may not be supported. I am not to sure which phone was purchased, but I know in the past we were unable to use "International versions". Was the Xfinity Mobile agent able to provide you any more information or specific detail? 

27 Messages

@XfinityDemitrius​ It's a US version Samsung S24 Ultra Unlocked. Exactly the same phone that Xfinity sells.

Visitor

• 

21 Messages

I think you'll find it's not *exactly* the "same" phone that Xfinity sells. The XM model number is likely a "...U" whereas an unlocked one purchased directly from Samsung is a "...U1" model (+ as well as some longer suffix differences in a other less obvious model numbers). And there may be some pre-installed "bloatware" app and branding diffs and a Voicemail app. XM includes theirs in their "Compatibility Database", copied but edited from Verizon, but not the Samsung unlocked version.  The phones are identical technically, but XM makes more money forcing you to buy from them.

Official Employee

• 

2.2K Messages

@user_g3hrba Have you contacted the location where you purchased the phone to confirm?

2 Messages

6 months ago

Put my sim from my galaxy s21+ into my unlocked galaxys24 ultra.. it works but on xfinity website it says I'm connected to a Motorola phone. Tried to update the imei's and it said not compatible

10 Messages

I can't believe this problem is continuing! Xfinity has some explaining to do.

Visitor

• 

21 Messages

"We make more $, and make it harder to leave, if you have to buy a locked phone from us than if we let you BYOD"

27 Messages

@user_vbuagv​ It was explained to me from a phone agent. This is a brand new high demand Samsung phone. They don't want to allow it to be a "bring your own phone" choice at this time as they want to sell you their version. So they have only allowed the IMEI's from their own stock to be listed as compatible.

So use your sim that's already activated on another phone and they think you have a Motorola Moto5, (Voicemail through Xfinity will not work) or switch carriers. Those are currently your 2 choices.

(edited)

2 Messages

I ordered an S24 Ultra directly from Samsung, received it on Friday 2/2/24. I checked the xfinity website for compatibility and it said it was compatible. Swapped the SIM from a Note 10+ and it didn't work initially away from wifi however today 2/4 I rebooted the phone and it started working correctly. 

Went to my account on xfinity.com and it showed my SIM is now paired with a different device. All network-related features will apply to that device blah blah.

Clicked on "View paired device" and is shows an S24 Ultra (even though they have the storage and color incorrect..irrelevant)

Point is, they may have their software updated to recognize the devices.

Visitor

• 

21 Messages

Can you confirm that was a Galaxy S24 Ultra Unlocked ordered directly from Samsung? With a model number ending in U1?

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here