G

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, September 6th, 2022 6:37 PM

Closed

Xfinity Chat asking for social security number---fraud

This isn't really a question but it's something strange and fraudulent that I noticed. My Xfinity Chat (did not introduce himself) asked me for my social security date in order to get a promotional deal. It was very strange and sketchy!

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

2 years ago

Hey @glaro2, thank you for reaching out to Xfinity Support and letting us know. The only time we should be asking for a Social Security Number is if we are needing to do a credit check. Were they talking about the promotional deal needed Xfinity Mobile by chance and did they mention needing to do a credit check? If you can send us a direct message, I can check for the chat to see who it was and why they would be asking. 

To send a direct message:

Click "Sign In" if necessary

• Click the "Direct messaging" icon near the top right of the page

• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line

• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

• Press Enter to send it

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

@XfinityNicolas​ Hello, yes, they did mention the Xfinity Mobile promotion but they did not explain why they needed my social security number. 

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

Hi there, @glaro2 I'm very sorry for the inconvenience. I do appreciate your time and patience today. I would like to go ahead and check the chat to find out why we would be requesting your social security number. Please DM me your full first and last name along with your full-service address so that I can look into this further for you.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

@XfinityRichard​  Hello. I'd be happy to but I can't figure out how to send you a private message. 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

7.2K Messages

To send a "Direct Messaging" message to Xfinity Support:
• Click "Sign In" if necessary
• Click the "Direct Messaging" icon or https://comca.st/3kajO4e
• The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Xfinity Support" there
•  - As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list
•  - An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line
• Press Enter to send it
See https://comca.st/2XfS9FQ for an example.

I no longer work for Comcast.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

@XfinityRichard​ I had the same situation happened to me just now. They asked for my SSN to access my account and they said that it was protected and masked. Can you please confirm that I can be at peace that nothing sketchy happened?

Thank you, 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

Sorry for bumping this thread, had this occur earlier today too. I believe it was just for the promotion but would like to have it checked if possible.

Problem Solver

• 

393 Messages

@jlh712 Hello and thank you for reaching out to us here at the Xfinity Community Forums with your concern over this request for information in a live chat. From the information provided, it does sound like this was in regard to starting Xfinity Mobile services and requiring a credit check to do so as my colleague Nicolas mentioned above. I can still review the conversation on your account just to be sure!

I do see you have already sent us a direct DM and would be glad to continue supporting you from there, in the future, however, 

please note that sending unsolicited direct messages to an Official Employee of the Xfinity Help & Support Forums is a violation of our Forum Guidelines. You must first create a public post requesting assistance and, once a Comcast verified employee responds and asks for a private message to be sent, you can then proceed with doing so.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I am also receiving a request for SSN in order to “port in my mobile number with Xfinity” and it feels sketchy as they’re offering a lot of discounts but don’t understand how this is different that the mobile services I’m already receiving…

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I was trying to activate my account with Xfinity mobile. After giving him all account details, address and last 4 digits SSN. He wants full SSN number with Date of birth. I was transferring 3 lines, 2 lines I was able do it my self and third one had some error, so went in chat. Agent said he needs full SSN and date of birth to activate 3rd line. I said I can't give, he was promising privacy, all that. I didn't give but 3rd line got activated while agent was waiting for my SSN? How fishy is this?

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

@user_60fa59​ did everything turn out ok?

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I also got asked for my full SSN and DOB during my chat with a customer representative. It was really frustrating because I had spent about 30 minute talking to a representative then getting connected with this person whom I ended up speaking to for another 30 minutes. I simply wanted to find a lowered price internet plan, and at the end she asked for my SSN, saying it's encrypted. 

Problem Solver

• 

954 Messages

Hello @user_7d07d0. Did you get the help you needed or do you still need assistance.If you still need assistance, Please send me a direct message with your first and last name, along with your complete service address to “Xfinity Support”. To do so, click on the chat icon located at the top right of this forums page.   

Here are detailed steps to direct message us:  

• Click the direct message icon
  • Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list 
  • Press Enter to send your message 

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

Same thing happened to me. I would like to confirm it was legitimate. 

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

@stoor01  I would like to and check the chat to find out why we would be requesting your social security number. When you have a moment please send your name and service address to "Xfinity Support." You can do this by using the Direct Messaging icon at the top of the page. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

@XfinityChristy​ Done. Thanks!

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

Hello, I was told by my complex that if I contacted their “comcast agent’s personal number” that he could have it set up on a sooner date than usual, I called the number and he had me set up an account over the phone, he also asked for my social and date of birth is there anyway I can have this checked out?

Official Employee

• 

933 Messages

Hi i can look into this, can you create a new post? 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

Same thing happened to me today.  In this day and age for a cell phone company to be set up to be asking for full social and birthdate via chat is completely unsafe and uncalled for.

Official Employee

• 

842 Messages

This is most definitely raising a concern and would love to take a look into this with you, @user_babac7. Will you please send our team a direct message with your full name and full address?
~~~~
To send a "Direct Message" message:
• Click the "Direct Message" icon
• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line
• Press Enter to send it

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

They did this to me as well, yesterday and today. I wanted my bill lowered, it is WAY too expensive and they are asking me for my full SSN. The person "Rio" in the Chat sent this. 

(Also, this is our chat id (Edited: Due PII), you can also save the chat once the chat gets over.)

I am not giving my full SSN. Also, yesterday, the other agent, Llama, sent a link to my email to confirm the order for a lowered package including a phone, TV and internet. I clicked on it, and when I went into it to set up paperless billing, it was over an hour, it never went through BUT now I am worried someone has my banking information!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I need someone legit to HELP ME!!! I have spent over 4 hours total online with these "chat" people and no resolve!

Edited: Due PII

(edited)

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

I need help from someone LEGIT to LOWER my bill. My bill is now over $200! I can't afford this!!! PLEASE someone contact me.

Problem Solver

• 

577 Messages

@user_10cfde Hello and thank you for reaching out over our Xfinity Community Forum. I am so sorry to hear about this negative experience you are having, and that you were asked for your full SSN. As a customer myself also, that would definitely be concerning for me as well. You have reached the right place, and I would be more than happy to assist you in finding the perfect package, promotion, and low-pricing for your needs, no SSN needed! That is actually one of our specialties.

Also just for future reference, if you ever are experiencing difficulties in getting the assistance you need with your Xfinity account or services, or if you have concerns the person you are speaking with might not actually be with Xfinity, we now have more easy, convenient ways to reach out to us for help than ever before, including reaching out to us for assistance on Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, Online chat via our Xfinity.com website, Xfinity.com Forums of course, and more being added all the time! You can actually view all the ways to get assistance by clicking here https://www.xfinity.com/support/contact-us.

I would again be more than happy to find the perfect package for your needs. To get started, could you please send our team a direct message with your full name and full address? Our team can most definitely take a further look at this issue.
To send a "Peer to peer" ("Private") message:
• Click the "Peer to peer chat" icon
• Press Enter to send it

(edited)

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

Hello….I got the same ssn request can someone check in on this the person said my bill

would go from 120 to $73 this is too good to be true but im talking to them in the xfinity app…

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

Chat id (Edited: Due to PII)
Edited: Due to PII

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

Hello, @user_d670dc! I'll be glad to double-check this for you as well. I see your offer included Xfinity mobile and a mobile device based on what you have provided so far. For security purposes, we will never request this via forums since we use another method. I can confirm, however, we may request your SSN when working with a live agent within our app or even with our mobile team directly if needed for credit checks or verification for example. We also cover this in our Acceptable Forms of Identification Policy overview as you can read here https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/acceptable-forms-of-id.

In the FAQs section, you will find the following

"Why does Comcast want a Social Security number (SSN)?
Comcast requests that customers provide their SSN to preserve customer security and ensure that access to the billing and account information is limited to the account holder. Because Comcast takes the privacy of the customers' account information seriously, it is better to ask customers to provide their SSN than risk permitting unauthorized access to their accounts."

With that said, I can understand the concern. I'll be glad double check here. I ask that you reach out privately, so we can cover the details of your account. You can start by clicking the chat icon located in the top right corner on your forums page when signed in. Once there, you can search for "Xfinity Support" to compose your direct message. Please add your full name and service address to help us locate your account. Let me know if you have any questions.

Contributor

• 

227 Messages

@user_d670dc​ Had same deal offered. but I have no line to transfer so cannot get free phone.  Can either buy a phone or bring a phone.  Crazy you can get a cheaper price for 24 months while adding something.  But hey that is the way it works.  Just glad these apply to existing now and not just for new people.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

How can i get that deal(above) for $73 after taxes? 
Definitely not giving out my SS#over the phone though. Happy to send a screen shot of my CreditKarma credit report though. 😃 

(edited)

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

Just tried to set up internet service at a new location over the phone. I already have an account with XFINITY, was asked for my last 4 of SSN in order to “set up my account”… didn’t feel safe to give it

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

So is this legit where Live Agents asking to enter SSN and DOB details in a thirdparty page that says "Secure Data Collection"?

Official Employee

• 

1.6K Messages

@user_ssjj Thank you for your feedback. We’re committed to helping you stay protected. The only time we should be asking for a Social Security Number is if we are needing to do a credit check. Were you talking about a promotional deal for Xfinity Mobile? As a quick reminder, your first line of protection is to enable two-step verification on your account. This extra step will help keep your account safe, even if someone gets your password. Once you enable two-step verification, we’ll text or email you a verification code before we allow an unrecognized device to sign in to your account. Remember: Never share your verification code with anyone. Also, you can manage and control your Xfinity account settings such as your username and password, authorized users, parental controls, saved payment methods and more through your account. There are additional ways you can be proactive to ensure protection of your Xfinity account. First and foremost: Trust your gut. If a communication, whether it be an email, text message, or phone call claiming to be from Comcast or Xfinity, seems suspicious in asking for payment or personal information, call us at 1-800-xfinity (1-800-934-6489) to verify if the communication is legitimate. Bad actors may also try to impersonate Xfinity representatives or websites to obtain your personal information. Here are just a few ways to identify potential threats.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

I was on my phone and I got through an Agent earlier and she told me to call back at 9 am when security gets there. I call back on my phone then all of a sudden my phone I noticed it looks like my phone used a different app to call you. she said because there was nobody available for security my phone used a different app to call you guys and was sending me through loops not allowing me to connect with an Agent then I went on my Google Voice and it was completely different automated system but same voice. she was saying different things as prompts  and she was trying to ask me for my social security number and then I asked Google out loud to my phone if xfinity would ever ask for mystical because i nwver gave out that info and then Automatically the computer decided to send me through to an agent....hmmmmhhhmmmm

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

923 Messages

Hi, @@user_bcffb4. What apps are you referring to here? I can understand how this would be concerning, can you provide additional clarity on the apps used and if you were trying our 1-800 number? 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

Same thing just happened to me. Says I have to provide my SSN to get the promotion. Doesn't seem right.

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

@user_0639fa Good afternoon! Thank you for reaching out to our Community Forums Team for assistance with your promotion and services. Our customers privacy and security is of the upmost importance. I would be happy to look into this for you, and get you closer to a resolution. To begin, can you please DM your name and service address? 

To send a "Peer to peer" message:
• Click the "Peer to peer chat" icon
• Press Enter to send it

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

I am currently not giving any information out online. I am currently in the middle of an investigation to find out where 6 separate RPC's are from. My phone, laptop, homehub, tv and multiple other devices have been compromised due to what I thought was malware. Turns out I found a shared file in my system after trouble shooting this issue for about two weeks. Only the last few days seriously. After the first week I became more than a tad suspicious that it was a remote procedure call, and then I wound up conducting my own investigation which led me to a cute little shared file on my system that gave me all the information I needed to track this person down. Have no fear, I have zero ill intent besides seeing this person rot away in a jail cell. I'm sure when I catch him with my father who first specialized in computer forensics dating literally back to the invention of IBM introducing it's first calculating machine that used solid-state transistors instead of vacuum tubes in Oct of 1954. Toshiba had just introduced their first computer as well, named the "TAC" digital computer. Oh yeah I had almost forgotten, his second profession starting at 50 years old. Private investigation....you will never guess what he specializes in now semi-retired....Catching dumb people who want to try to hack the computer of someone born before the invention of NFTS. I was using proxies to bypass school security to get on AOL chat when it was still cool. Mean while those just now investing incrypto were not even an inkling at the ragers their parents went to. If anyone even knows what that is now lol. 👻🤠🤭 these fools are going to wish I was a dodo bird like 99% of individuals using web 3 & 4 today. 100% of peope probably do not even know those terms or what they really mean for the next 5 years of technology as a whole. Can anyone say quantum matter being swnt through a worm hole....look it up its already a thing according to scientists at Berkeley

Problem Solver

• 

546 Messages

Hey there, @user_bcffb4 I am SUPER sorry to read of your experience. If you need assistance with Xfinity Security, I recommend reaching out to our Customer Security Assurance Organization. 

The Customer Security Assurance organization has been established to ensure a safe and secure online experience for Comcast customers. This team is a dedicated group of security professionals who respond to issues pertaining to phishing, spam, infected computers (commonly referred to as bots), online fraud and other security issues.

• Business Hours: 8:00am - 12:00am EST, 7 days a week
  • Website: https://internetsecurity.xfinity.com/help/report-abuse

I hope this helps!

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I too faced the same issue today.

I asked for some mobile offers and insisted on providing my SSN and date of birth, as they needed it to create a account. 

They also mentioned that details will be masked and they cannot see. But I do not trust.

This is fraud, to PII of the customers

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

Hi there -- I just had a similar issue where after being offered a promotion that included an Xfinity mobile portion. I do not feel comfortable proving my SSN and DOB over chat, especially when that person already knows who I am. They had my phone number and cell phone IMEI number. Why do they need my PII? When I said I felt very uncomfortable (several times) with this, they kept saying "you can trust me" in various different ways (one time, in bold font, another time, putting my name in all caps as though they were yelling at me), and this all honestly made me feel less inclined to send the information. I eventually just ended the chat because the entire thing made me feel uncomfortable.

I also was a bit taken aback by the fact that when they offered me the deals, they only told me the price and never what the deal entailed. I had to keep pressing for information. Whenever I've called Xfinity over the phone, they've immediately told me what the deal entails, like a sales pitch (which I prefer honestly - I don't want to have to pry for information). It was also a bit weird when I first started talking with this person. Originally, it was a person with a name (which I can provide via DM if requested), but then it switched to "Hello you're chatting with an Ambassador from the Xfinity Technical Team" (i.e. no name) which seemed bizarre.

Overall, the entire interaction left me feeling really on guard/alert and uncertain about the whole situation. I honestly wish I hadn't even provided my IMEI and phone number (and even my name at the beginning). 

Was any of this legit?

Official Employee

• 

3.7K Messages

Hello @user_9d95a9, thanks for reaching out to our Digital Care Team on our Forums page. We appreciate you taking the time to inform us about the issues and unpleasant experiences you have had with us over chat. We never intend for our customers to feel this way, and throughout this thread, you will see that my fellow agents have provided a lot of helpful and useful information as to why we would ask for the PII you've mentioned via chat. I absolutely understand your concerns and frustrations otherwise, and we do apologize for any inconvenience we have caused you throughout this. My team would be more than happy to double-check things on our end. Please send us a private Direct Message. 

Here are the detailed steps to direct message us: 
 • Click the "Direct Message icon” (upper right corner of this page)
 • Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list
 • Press Enter to send your message

Visitor

• 

1 Message

I just had something similar happen to me. I was offered a internet + phone promo deal that is much less expensive than my current internet-only plan. To sign up, I was given a "secure link" which did not work, then the agent asked me to provide my SSN and DOB and full card details to him in the chat because the link did not work. He asked me to provide it in a certain format, and after I expressed some concern, eventually it was made clear that the numbers were masked to the agent but the agent was bypassing the security masking by having me provide the numbers broken up into different messages. I stopped short of providing my card details in this way but very much regret having provided my SSN and DOB already. I thought xfinity would be secure but I feel like I my have been the victim of identity theft and should not have trusted this agent.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

Same thing here this morning like word for word. Obviously Xfinity hasn't taken this seriously. Sounds like fraud by employees to me.

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

@XfinityAmira​ I just had an Xfinity chat agent ask for SSN and DB for a third phone line free. May I please ask if you can look into this and see if this was legit or a scam. It began to not feel right. Thank you very much!

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

@user_e0af36. Thanks for letting us know. It never hurts to make sure. This was through our website chat?

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here