U

Tuesday, August 20th, 2024 10:15 PM

Internet outages are becoming a regular thing as well as intermittent disconnects

Every other week I have to deal with an official Internet outage. I really don’t get it because I was using this service all the way back to August 2022 and I’ve had no issues. The issues started this summer for some reason I keep getting an outage that is reported on the app when my Internet goes out and it takes an hour or two sometimes three hours before they restore it. When there is not an official outage, my Internet will randomly go out for a few minutes and then come back on. It’s absurd. Icing in the cake is that my promotional period ended so my Internet bill is nearly double now. I work from home, and I’m also an online gamer so I can’t keep having these Internet issues. If I ever am lucky enough to finally get through to a human person over the phone, they really can’t do anything for me other than say oh once the outage is fixed, you should be good. No, it’s just gonna happen again the next week….Trust me if AT&T Fiber was offered at my address, I would switch in a heartbeat. But alas I’m stuck with xfinity that is getting progressively worse for some reason. Im starting to debate if I should cancel my services and set up my own local network using the apartment-wide internet and just deal with slower speeds. So frustrating. I’ll pay the higher bill if my internet would stop going out randomly and having now regular outages…

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

2 months ago

user_fy6mh7 Thank you so much for letting us know about the connection issues you have been encountering. This is not the experience any customer should have when running into issues outside of an interruption. Interruptions can be caused but a lot of things most commonly we have issues with damage being done to our equipment or in some areas storms can cause major issues with our network as well. During an interruption, our troubleshooting is limited as every signal would be tied to that interruption while still active. Once resolved however if you are still encountering issues we would need to take a closer look. The next time you run into issues and there is not an interruption please check out our troubleshooting steps here and provide your RF signal information making sure to remove any private information like your MAC address. Xfinity Forums Internet Troubleshooting

Take a screenshot and share it here, so we can take a look for you. 

3 Messages

@XfinityAmandaB​ what I’m really wanting is somebody to escalate these repeated interruptions. Why have there been so many frequent outages? How did I go about two years without any problems and then suddenly getting regular outages? and I’ve lived at the same address the entire time

Official Employee

• 

2.2K Messages

I am sorry there has been a recent spat of issues, @user_fy6mh7. Our technicians work 24/7 to monitor our network, perform preventative maintenance, and to repair any problem quickly. We want you to be able to work and game with your service. Outside of the area interruptions, when there are problems, are you experiencing this issue on WiFi or when wired to the modem? 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

3 Messages

Wired to modem always

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

@user_fy6mh7 We can take a closer look at your account, and run some diagnostics to see if there is anything that stands out. Please send us a Direct Message with your full name and address. We look forward to your message. 

To start a Direct Message: Click "Sign in" if necessary

• Click the "Direct Message" icon (upper right corner of this page)

• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

• Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list

• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

• Press Enter to send your message.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

1 Message

1 month ago

This exact scenario has been happening to me as well. There have been repeated Xfinity outages now for months. What is the explanation Xfinity? Your service has because as unreliable as the Washington State Ferries!! This is not an equipment issue so don’t respond with an inquiry about that. I would really like to understand why I am paying so much for unreliable internet service.

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

Hello, @user_276kw3. I'm sorry to hear you're also experiencing a service interruption. I would be more than happy to review your account to see what's going on. Please send a direct message by clicking the chat icon in the upper right corner of the page, click on the pen and paper icon, then enter “Xfinity Support” in the “To” section.

1 Message

1 month ago

I am also paying a LOT for terrible service / connections.    This is unacceptable.  

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

user_45t2cy I would be reaching out if I was having any issues too. We are happy to help you. In the future please first start with your own public post. That way you will get the help needed in a timely fashion and follow community guidelines. That said please feel free to send us your full name and complete address in a direct message:

(Full credit to @BruceW for this excellent explanation!) 

"Search for Xfinity Support" won't work. To send a "Direct Messaging" message to Xfinity Support:

• Click "Sign In" if necessary

• Click the "Direct Messaging" icon or https://forums.xfinity.com/direct-messaging

• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

• The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Xfinity Support" there

•  - As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list

•  - An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line

• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

• Press Enter to send it

See https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/email/cant-create-a-new-email-address/605e52b726aa974d63032d02?commentId=606107ea738c7f46a02b830e for an example.

1 Message

1 month ago

I live in the Northeast and it’s the same issue for the past 3 months. The internet drops constantly.  It’s a time waste to get a human on the phone and when you do, they can’t help and conflict with one and other.  My spouse works from home, so it’s a major problem for our household.  Frankly, it costs a lot monthly and should work.  What other service costs $100 monthly and simply doesn’t work?

Comcast customer service is atrocious and should frankly be investigated by Congress for defrauding its customers. 

[Edited: "Inflammatory"]

Total fraud of a company. 

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

300 Messages

@user_fy6mh7 Thanks for reaching out to us on the forums. I apologize to hear that you are having issues with your internet services. We understand how a reliable connection is needed these days! We see that you have already sent us a DM. Please be reminded that sending unsolicited Direct Messages to an Official Employee of the Xfinity Community Forum is a violation of Forum Guidelines. If needed, we may invite you to send us a Direct Message. However, since you already sent your information in a DM, we will continue to assist you through there.

1 Message

1 month ago

I was coming here with the same question. The last few weeks my internet is dropping multiple times a week- I work from home and this has been unbelievably disruptive. And Comcast is fully aware of what is happening because I get the text updates. If you are doing major service in our area, then why can't you tell us so we can make other arrangements? Mid meeting, talking to my VP is not acceptable even once, and it's happening daily. And the AI bot is useless, just telling me what I already know. Can someone at Comcast please provide an actual explanation for what is going and how long it is going to keep happening? I'm in San Jose, CA and need better answers. 

Official Employee

• 

2.7K Messages

@user_cbx9b4 We truly appreciate your time in reaching out to us here on our Xfinity Forums. I can definitely understand how dropped connections during work meetings are less than ideal. I'd like to take a look and see what's happening. Please send us a DM to Xfinity Support with your full name and address to get started.

To send a direct message:
Click "Sign In" if necessary
Click the "Direct Message" icon or  https://forums.xfinity.com/direct-messaging
Click the "New message" (pen and paper) icon
The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Xfinity Support" there.
As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list.
An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line.
Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window 
Press Enter to send it

1 Message

1 month ago

Same thing with me but its been happening in the two past weeks. I've never had any major issues for the 5 years I've been a customer. I've had 3 techs come over in the past two weeks they all did a good job but its the intermittent issues that are killing me. The scenarios that I have tested and been through the past two weeks. I have an open advanced ticket and have called about 5-10 times. The support has been good but I feel this is a bigger issue at the moment and just needs to be escalated. 

Comcast technicians have rewired the lines twice checked the noise levels with all of their tools and have even kept an eye on everything after they left. The techs have done a great job and this is not on them. Noise levels are fine and there are no issues with the actual wires at least in my area. What I have noticed is when my packets are getting dropped and I lose connection for 15-30 secs and it happens randomly. I decided to use wireshark to I capture packets and found that can see its routing issues from Comcast. 

I used chatgpt to assist in writing a summary of the findings chatgpt isn't always correct but this should give a good starting point in what to look for. I also have screenshots and time frames. 

Here’s a consolidated summary of all the findings from the packet capture screenshots for reporting to Comcast:

Summary of Network Issues Identified in Multiple Packet Captures:

1. Frequent TCP Retransmissions:
   - Across multiple captures, TCP retransmissions are a persistent issue, indicating frequent packet loss. This suggests potential network congestion or unstable connections. The internal server **192.168.**.** (my computer internal address) is continuously trying to resend data that isn’t being acknowledged by the receiving systems, particularly when interacting with external IPs such as:
     - 75.75.77.75 and 75.75.77.76 (likely Comcast IPs)
     - 23.61.251.143 (Akamai)
     - 99.181.127.4 (AT&T)
     - 34.232.4.134 and 54.213.161.131 (AWS) these were the counter-strike servers I was using to just test and capture it when the lag spikes would happen.

2. TCP Reset (RST) Packets:
   - There are numerous RST packets observed, indicating that several connections are being abruptly terminated. This could be a sign of connection timeouts, service rejection, or firewall resets, particularly affecting the communication between internal servers and external networks (especially AT&T and Akamai). This behavior could also suggest unstable network conditions leading to premature connection terminations.

3. TLSv1.2 Secure Communication Affected:
   - Multiple captures involve TLSv1.2 encrypted sessions over port 443 (HTTPS traffic). The network instability, seen through retransmissions and resets, is negatively impacting secure communications with external entities such as Cloudflare, AWS, and Comcast’s own infrastructure.
   - This has the potential to disrupt encrypted traffic, including secure applications, web services, and API calls.

4. Out-of-Order Segments:
   - Several out-of-order segments are seen in the packet streams. This typically happens when packets take different network paths or when the network is experiencing heavy load. It further corroborates the theory of network instability or congestion.

5. Previous Segment Not Captured:
   - A number of packets indicate that previous segments were not captured, pointing to either network packet loss or delays in transmission. This is contributing to the higher retransmission rates seen.

6. Connection with External CDN and Cloud Services:
   - Connections to CDNs (e.g., Akamai) and cloud providers (e.g., AWS) are impacted by these network issues. These services are vital for content delivery and application hosting, and the intermittent network issues are likely leading to service degradation.

7. Comcast-Specific IPs:
   - 75.75.77.75 and 75.75.77.76: These Comcast-related IPs are involved in the communication, and retransmissions, resets, and out-of-order segments affect their traffic as well. This highlights the likelihood of Comcast infrastructure experiencing or contributing to these networking issues.

Conclusion:
The recurring TCP retransmissions, RST packets, out-of-order segments, and issues with TLS-encrypted communication all suggest ongoing network instability between the local server and external services, including Comcast's own network. These issues are negatively impacting both secure communications and general connectivity, causing service interruptions and degraded performance.

Request:
We request that Comcast investigate potential network issues, packet loss, or congestion within their network, particularly related to the following IPs:
   - 75.75.77.75 and 75.75.77.76 (Comcast infrastructure)
   - Connections to Akamai (23.61.251.143) and AWS (34.232.4.134, 54.213.161.131)

Please review the logs and path between our server and external endpoints to identify the root cause of the packet loss and connection resets.

---

This should provide a clear overview for Comcast of the issues affecting your network, with sufficient technical detail for them to conduct a thorough investigation.

Also I can't upload the images here nor the screen shots for w.e reason. I tried adding jpg and png both are under 5mb.... Here is the link this example I was directly hooked up to the modem via ethernet with basically default settings. 

https://ibb.co/Vmtp1Fm

Different Scenarios Tested and things technicians worked on:

• Tested the xb8 on bridged mode with my own TP-Link BE95 wired and wireless --- same issues and I have captured wireshark logs for it. 
  • Tested ethernet directly to the modem with bridge mode disabled --- same issues and I have captured wireshark logs for it. 
  • Changed DNS settings but if you have a XB8 the gateway will still divert to the comcast infrastructure. 
  • Technicians rewired internal and outside wires
  • Technicians ran all the test for noise levels using their apps
    • Checked physical lines --- all was good
    • Checked nodes --- all was good 
    • Checked for any interference/packetloss

Honestly put me in contact with one of your networking guys and we can hop on zoom call at this point.... I work from home and I can't deal with these issues happening constantly. 

- D

1 Message

9 days ago

I am having the same issue and also work from home. I’m exhausted. 

Official Employee

• 

2.4K Messages

I understand how important your services are to you as they are to me as I also to work from home full time and any service issues will cause a headache not only to not be able to assist my customers but prevents my kids from getting school work done and being entertained while I am working! 

We offer convenient self-service options to check service interruptions through My Account, the Xfinity App, or the Xfinity Status Center at http://www.xfinity.com/support/status. Have you checked there yet? If no interruption, I want to make sure we are respecting your time and not repeat the steps you have taken previously. What troubleshooting steps have you taken? 

I also wanted to make sure you are aware that any time you need to troubleshoot our Xfinity app can assist you step by step. It is not just to pay your bill or to get notifications about interruptions. To learn how to troubleshoot in the future you can follow the link: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/using-xfinity-app. Honestly, it is the best app to date that we offer and super easy to use for all of your account needs!

@user_ouqc09

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here