U

8 Messages

Saturday, May 25th, 2024 2:08 PM

“Free” ipad [Edited]

We were [Edit: Inflammatory] into purchacing an iPad. We were told it was an incentive/gift fir getting Comcast internet. Only to realize too late that we were being charged about $45/month for installments on the iPad and an xfinity mobile line attached to the ipad. I was on the phone for hours yestsrday being told there was nothing they could do and that I consented to this. I asked for proof of my consent (a signed contract or phone call recording) and was told they do not have these. I was told a supervisor would call me back in 1-2 hours. I asked for a direct line to call back if I did not hear from a supervisor and was told “they will 100% call you back”. It is the next day and still no call. Beware of this huge [Edit: Inflammatory].

Official Employee

• 

2.3K Messages

3 months ago

@user_t204b6

I do want to thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to reach out through our Forums Channel. I can tell you have not had the best experience and I assure you I am here to do everything I can to turn this around. We appreciate your signing up to be a part of the Comcast family, and I want to be sure we can get everything figured out for you with your service. Please send me a Direct Message with your name and service address so that I can fully dive into this for you! I will leave you instructions on how to initiate the message with us! I look forward to working with you soon!

- Click "Sign In" if necessary
- Click the "Direct Message" icon (upper right corner of this page)
- Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
- Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list
- Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
- Press Enter to send your message

4 Messages

are they really giving away ipads with free wifi for the same price you already pay for wifi

1 Message

I was told this too but it is a big fat lie. Finding out how to return the I pad and canceling my Comcast account . They lie then no one knows how to fix it.

4 Messages

3 months ago

Any updates? I am currently being offered the same thing, but I am being told it will reduce my overall bill.

4 Messages

3 months ago

Yep!!!! Same thing! They told us return it and they will refund us. Not sure I believe anything this place says! Took 3 hours to cancel my service on top of them [Edit: Inflammatory] us. I’m going to report this to the FTC!

(edited)

8 Messages

Good thought! I will report there as well. Its A huge [Edit: Inflammatory]!!! 

(edited)

2 Messages

3 months ago

This same thing happened to us. The live chat agent offered us $68/month with a new ipad. My social and birthday didn't go through their system luckily. When their manager called us I asked how this is even possible and what is it they're not telling us. He assured me that all of it was $68/ month. But we were researching this and read this forum page and saw this was a scam. Thank you for posting this! 

1 Message

3 months ago

I have been told this today, I wasn't sure if this was true, he was so insistent, my thought this should be a scam. 

"

As I can see your account is eligible for wonderful discounted offer :

In which you will get same 800mbps speed unlimited data with keep your same modem as it is + you will get brand new Apple iPad comes with unlimited data and your total cost discounted and reduced to $70/month ( after all discounts )

So it means your bill discounted to $70per month

Your speed 800mbps remain same

Plus you will get brand new ipad as well"

He wanted me to click on an outside link of Xfinity so I didn't believe this was true.

1 Message

An Xfinity agent would not ask you to click on anything not related to Xfinity

Contributor

• 

86 Messages

3 months ago

Thanks for posting. I came here looking for information on this because it came from a CHAT I started with Xfinity Assistant, but something seemed off. I would very much like to know if it was a scam and if anything is being done.
This was the tempting offer (some parts paraphrased):

For a limited time, you are eligible to get a brand-new Apple iPad 10th generation at a really great price with unlimited data, no strings attached [for adding ipad service with us].
With this deal, you will get a discount of $40 for the next 24 Months on the Internet bill, and you would pay $40 a month for the iPad, so you will get a brand-new iPad with no change to the bill you are now paying.

Once the installment is complete, the device will become completely yours
No hidden charges--just a one-time tax payment and a one-time line set up fee of $25 on the first bill and you won’t have to pay that!
You would not have to do anything on your end and you have 14 days to cancel."
They were very persistent so I was suspicious and the whole thing was odd.
I started with Xfinity Assistant, looking to save money on my bill (I selected Billing). I was transferred to "Gnaneswari" who responded after a bit : "I will connect you with repairs team who can help you downgrade services as I have limited access to do it, sounds good?" Then I was transferred to someone else who offered me a new plan, I digitally agreed to it, then they typed:

"I also have a great  information for you as well "

"Would share that once after finalizing the deal for you"
I said no to the offer, so I don't know if there would have been any links to click on after that.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

Hey @bruelas,

Thank you for visiting our official Xfinity Forums Community support page. We appreciate you taking the time to share your recent experience with us. While I was not on the interaction or know what may have been fully said, we do offer discounts on our landline services such as Xfinity Internet with the addition of an Xfinity Mobile line of services. Depending on the cost of service, promotional campaign available, and more the savings can certainly add up with the addition of an Xfinity Mobile line of service as well. 

We run many promotional campaigns such as iPads, phones, and more where only the taxes would need to be paid while the rest of the device is covered by a Device Payment Plan (DPP) promotion for keeping the service active for 24 months until the device has been fully paid off. This would in the end result in the device being fully paid off and yours to do as you wish.

If you are interested in our Xfinity Mobile service and how it might be able to save you and your home some money, please do not hesitate to ask. I know that I have been able to save lots of people over half of what they were paying with competition and there is no better time than now to look. With our Buy One, Get One Unlimited Line of service, Trade-In offers, and more, it could certainly be a good move to consider. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

2 Messages

@b_630972​ 

This morning, I received the same offer. Sounded too good to be true. Also, I’ve been receiving emails from Xfinity about my card being declined and what not. Looked very legit, but I only asked the Xfinity assistant, then ultimately an operator. Come to find out it’s a phishing scam. I don’t doubt this is Xfinity offering the iPad, but if I can’t read a document about it, I’m not signing. What’s the catch? 

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

Thank you for reaching out to us here @user_k0locd. I can look at any official offers from here if you could send me a direct message with the full name and complete address for your service. 

To send a direct message [private message]:

Click the "Direct Message" icon or  https://forums.xfinity.com/direct-messaging

Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Xfinity Support" there.

- As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list.

- An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line.

Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

Press Enter to send it

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

2 Messages

3 months ago

I fell victim to this scam on 6/10/24. When trying to clear up a billing question, I was offered two discount plans, both would lower my current cost for my Xfinity plan and services. One for two "free phone" and the other was for a free iPad. 

This all happened through Xfinity chat support, first from the robochat and then from an agent when I requested one.

When my chat with the agent got cut off, I received a phone call from and Xfinity agent on my home phone number. This has every appearance of actually happening from within Xfinity - by their consent. Without being able to refer to my service files, the information they quoted about my plan would not have been possible. 

In the course of almost signing off on the deal, I provided my SSN, birthday and a credit card number. I received notice from my bank that the credit card had been checked by Xfinity, but I never signed the deal so no actual charge took place. 

Has Xfinity been hacked and now a host for criminals using their website to siphon off money via this scam or are they so greedy that they are allowing their sales staff to perpetuate fraud?   

Official Employee

• 

946 Messages

Hello user_inmy9b thank you so much for taking the time to relay your experience here on our Xfinity Community Forums. If anything ever feels amiss about any actions being taken on your account, you can report concerns of fraud at any time. 

The Customer Security Assurance organization has been established to ensure a safe and secure online experience for Comcast customers. This team is a dedicated group of security professionals who respond to issues pertaining to phishing, spam, infected computers (commonly referred to as bots), online fraud and other security issues.

Business Hours: 8:00am - 12:00am EST, 7 days a week

In the unfortunate event that your identity has been stolen and/or fraudulently used to acquire Comcast services, or in some other way been utilized on a Comcast account, you can initiate a claim process.

Contributor

• 

86 Messages

Even though the response above seems to suggest that the free iPad offer I got (through chat) was legit, The same day I made changes to my plan (6/10), I got a scam message with the subject line: "Important information: Your accounts payment pIan has been canceIed," but when I try to copy and paste the message it's gibberish.
I already forwarded it to missed-spam at comcast dot net because it almost got me, but am wondering if maybe it's NOT a coincidence that I got this spam email the same day I made changes to my account. 

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

Hey @bruelas,

If you happen to run across any suspicious emails, you can follow the steps located on our Customer Security Assurance - Report Abuse web portal under the 'Report Spam and Phishing Emails' section. You can also verify and validate an e-mail from Xfinity by visiting our "What Does the Xfinity Logo Next to an Email Message Mean?" support page. 

3 Messages

@user_inmy9b​ The same thing just happened to me. I declined giving them my credit card over the phone. This was from the agent when I called the main Comcast line. I am really pissed off because I was stupid enough to type in my social, when they said they needed to verify to set up my modem. Comcast should be accountable for their customer service! 

2 Messages

@user_inmy9b​ i also just fell victim to this on 6/17/24. They lied, said i would pay the same cost that i already pay for my internet bills + a free ipad. Turns out it was [Edited: Language], my bill is higher and i am paying for the ipad i never needed in full. They refuse to take the ipad back now because i am outside of the 3 day return window. Cant wait for a class action lawsuit to open up because xfinity basically forced me to buy an ipad by making me think it was free and then refusing my return once i realized it isnt free by looking at my bill a month later. [Edited: Inflammatory].

(edited)

3 Messages

2 months ago

I received the same offer on 6/21 during a Plan Change phone call..   I stupidly gave by SSN and birthdate even though I didn't really want the ipad that much, 75 dollars isn't exactly free and I didn't know it would be that much in taxes, so I declined the offer, and still got my Plan Changed successfully, but I feel like my SSN & birthdate is being passed around to scammers now.   Can we please get some more assurance from the official employees about this iPad deal, if this was a scam by a rogue employee or not?

Official Employee

• 

691 Messages

user_ssu511 How did you go about changing the plan? Was it over the phone by you calling our customer service number, or were you contacted?

3 Messages

@XfinityVictor​ I called xfinity customer service myself to change the Plan so that's why I didn't really question it at first. But it just seemed strange, this free iPad stuff, wanting my SSN and birthdate. He had me key it (SSN and birthdate) in on the dialpad.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

691 Messages

user_ssu511 Did you receive a confirmation email?

3 Messages

@XfinityVictor​ Yes, I did get a confirmation email and my plan updated to the new plan on the website when I logged in.  I'm just wondering about this iPad aspect of it, like I'm asking/wondering was he doing something on the side shady or is this iPad offer going around to me and several others in the last few weeks a legitimate offer going on right now? 

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

691 Messages

user_ssu511 Can you please send us a DM. You can start by clicking the chat icon located in the top right corner of your forums' page when signed in. Once there, you can direct your messages to "Xfinity Support." Please add your full name and service address to help us locate your account. Let me know if you have any questions. 

2 Messages

2 months ago

I just was offered the same "deal", free iPad gen 9, for no increased monthly cost, but a $50 one-time charge for "tax" on the ipad. He also claimed to be able to give me a $40 discount for setting up a mobile service.

This whole thing smelled like a scam of some kind, so I just googled it and found this forum thread.

I downloaded and screenshotted the chat transcript.

8 Messages

2 months ago

Its so disheartening to hear 

this scam is still going on. I did report it to the BBB and through that was contacted by a Comcast Rep. We received our money back from January 2024 until now, however we are still out hundreds of dollars from what we paid monthly for the ipad and mobile service from 2022-2024.

1 Message

2 months ago

This is crazy - the scam is still going on. I got the same offer, but searched up and found this thread. As soon as I declined the promo, the agent left the chat without resolving my problem, and also removed the chat history. So when I downloaded the transcript, that entire conversation was not recorded. (thankfully I took screenshots along the way). This feels extremely sketchy and unprofessional, I don't understand how it's acceptable for a service provider like xfinity to have this type of issue. please fix.

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

Good afternoon and happy Sunday @user_nnzn9o, we hope you are having a good weekend and appreciate you reaching out on our Community Forums. We're sorry to hear that you received the same scam offer and apologize for the frustrating experience. I would recommend reaching out to our amazing Customer Security Assurance (CSA) team. They can be contacted directly at 1-888-565-4329 and their hours of operation are 8:00am - 12:00am EST, 7 days a week.

Or, you can report suspicious emails or activities by following the steps located on our Report Abuse page here https://internetsecurity.xfinity.com/help/report-abuse. You can also verify and validate an e-mail from Xfinity by visiting our "What Does the Xfinity Logo Next to an Email Message Mean?" page here https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/comcast-verified-email?view=app#:~:text=The%20Xfinity%20Verified%20Email%20logo,Comcast%2FXfinity%20email%20you%20receive.

8 Messages

@user_nnzn9o​ that is extremely sketchy! Im glad my information can at least help others not fall into this trap. But such a shame on xfinity. We are planning to change our internet provider asap because of their unethical business practices.

1 Message

2 months ago

So glad I came across this thread. A little over an hour ago I connected to Xfinity's Chat Support for clarification on an account issue. The support agent was helpful and was able to address my questions but then followed up with, "I have one great news for you as well." To which they then responded, "I can make your monthly bill $85 for some 1200 mbps speed and same xfi complete along with brand new APPLE I PAD with unlimited data all at just $85."

I was immediately confused yet tempted considering my usual internet bill is higher than $85. It made it more uncomfortable when I politely declined and I kept getting pressured by the agent to take the offer. It felt too good to be true. Before disconnecting from the chat I was able to screenshot the conversation and download the transcript as well.

Not my greatest experience with their Support Team, not to mention how uncomfortable it felt. Be alert!

Official Employee

• 

1K Messages

@Nortiz15 Hi there! I'm sorry that our peers made you feel uncomfortable and continued to try to create a sale. I am with you, if it seems too good to be true it probably is. From working with customers I know that many times there are deals available and apply additional credits to your residential services, however it will create a mobile account where additional fees may occur. So while your home account may be less, it may be at the expense of creating a mobile account. I would be happy to report this agent and any examples that you have to our leaders. This is not the experience I want for my customers. You should have a pleasant transparent conversation and all details shared when being offered a product. If there's ever anything that you need, account, service or general information please know that the Digital Care team is here to help. I trust my peers here on the Xfinity forums will not try to pressure a sale like that.

Contributor

• 

86 Messages

@XfinityPaula​ Thanks for the answer. I hope this question stays active for a while so we can share more experiences and find answers. 
The problem with reporting my situation (I don't know about @Nortiz15)is that the chat transcript DID NOT SAVE the name of the agent who made me the offer! I only have the name of the person who transferred me. Plus, it's still not clear from the official answers here if the offer was a scam.
Is it possible the technicians are incentivized for opening new accounts, so they resort to deception and aggressive tactics hoping the customers don't notice?
What I'd like to know is WHY A SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER IS REQUIRED--is that normal for opening a new mobile account?
The offer was super tempting, so if it's legit, I'd like to know that too. Thanks.

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

@bruelas Thank you for sharing your concerns. If you reach out directly to us, we can look into the offers for you and then be able to rule out a scam. Also, a social security number is required when opening a new Xfinity Mobile account for the credit check.

1 Message

2 months ago

Hi I think I may have fallen for a similar scam? I have a question, do these promotions you keep mentioning up and down the thread require one to provide their social and birthday? If not them I was definitely scammed. Otherwise yall need to be transparent on this. There has been public clarification if this indeed was a real promotion or not.

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

@user_jp0qwa It depends on what type of promotion you signed up for that will require your personal information so we can run a credit check. If you already have a residential account and was trying to activate a mobile account, then your social security number would've been required to see how many lines you're eligible for.

1 Message

2 months ago

Hello,

I was in chat via. Xfinity app with agent, he gave me offer for brand new generation 9 I-pad no extra charge for I pad, they charged me only 40-50$ shipping charge and I am only responsible to pay monthly 70$ including 800 mbps internet, Since i am existing customer of 800 mbps speed, It seem like something scam, therefore i declined his offer, after little bit research  from your site, i come to know this is scam.

I would like to request you that, your IT team have to take some corrective & Preventive action to save your customer from scammers.

Thank you, 

Official Employee

• 

946 Messages

Hello user_tbv984 we appreciate you taking the time to contribute your experience on our Xfinity Residential Forums.  You are able to report potential security/scam issues to us anytime. 

The Customer Security Assurance organization has been established to ensure a safe and secure online experience for Comcast customers. This team is a dedicated group of security professionals who respond to issues pertaining to phishing, spam, infected computers (commonly referred to as bots), online fraud and other security issues.

Business Hours: 8:00am - 12:00am EST, 7 days a week

2 Messages

2 months ago

I am sweating after reading through this thread. I used the chat function where I stupidly entered my SSN and DOB…but didn’t sign anything or enter my checking account info (thank god). 

I don't know what happens next. So concerning and unnerving to know I just gave my details to a link that now seems so scammy. Like was entering my info on that link my consent!?

Unfortunately my first chat did not save the transcript but I saved my second transcript of chats where the second “agent” tried to do the EXACT same thing as the first “agent”. 

So what happened to the rest of you if you just entered your SSN and DOB? Did they put a bunch of extra charges on your bill? Has anything wild happened with your identity? 

I have a lawyer and am very eager to use them if I get messed with any further than I already have. It’s SO weird to be feeling like this after using an in-app chat function. First time in my life something like this has freaked me out like this. 

8 Messages

Charges just showed up on my bill. Nothing happened with my identity thank god. In my situation. It really is xfinity mobile/comcast and not some third party scammers pretending to be them. It was the actual company that did not disclose the information and was shady and unethical.

8 Messages

They told me that i could have cancelled it and returned the ipad in the first 14 days of receiving it (of course 14 days in I wouldnt know I was being charged yet). But that is a route you can take if you are still in that timeframe.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here