U

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

Thursday, October 21st, 2021 6:01 AM

Closed

Data usage not accurate

This will be my 3rd attempt at trying to get some type of assistance as to why all the sudden we’re going over our limit every month for the past 3 months. Your ad says that only 5% of your customers go over the 1.2 terabytes. In July, i paid my bill everything was fine. The end of August i was told that I had gone over my limit not only for August but for July as well. I had already paid that bill. How is it that it took 30 days for you know that i was over the limit. I was told by customer service that it’s because xfinity billing period is set up that your paying for the prior month. Ok, so how is it that in August, September, and now October that you’ve been able to notify me the day we go over our limit? The first time I called and spoke with someone she told me that she agreed, and that she wanted to look into it and would call me back the next day, that I would not be charged the $100 vs $50 usual monthly charge. Didn’t happen. Never called me back and yes, I was charged $100. Same thing the next month, and I wasn’t even home for almost half the month. I was in another state, yet still went over. I called and asked if I can find out how much data each device is using so I can investigate that. I was told no. Now how is it possible that you can’t give me that information? How do you arrive at how much data anyone uses if you don’t know what devices they have or how much each one uses? She said, I can tell you that you have gone over your limit. And starts giving me the date we went over. Hello?? I know that. She kept trying to resolve the issue by having me upgrade to unlimited data. That’s not an acceptable solution. 2 people live in this apartment and Last month I disconnected everything using data except 1 TV and our 2 cell phones and he rarely uses his cell phone. 10 days away from the end of this billing cycle and already gone over the limit. I’ve been reading other complaints about the same issue. And read 1 person stated he can prove x-finity pads  your usage by 20-30% every month because he installed a sensor packet at the border of his network, and for the last year it shows x-finity padding his usage by 25% more. He said he has to call every month and get a refund and gets assured it won’t happen again but it does. They have confirmed that their usage was wrong. I’m infuriated that a company of this size would do this to begin with. But during a pandemic? When people are hurting for money and many people unable to work and kids can’t attend school and doing it from home. X-Finity chooses to take advantage of people and profit even more off of your customers! Sadly, most people won’t question it and just pay it. I want my money refunded for the past 3 months that I was charged double the amount I normally pay. And if I can’t get that, I’ll be turning in this modem and canceling my service first thing Monday morning. I’m fed up with the lies, the lack of knowledgeable customer service, and a company cheating people out of money for a [Edited: "Language"] product that doesn’t even consistently work. 

Expert

• 

103.6K Messages

3 years ago

Concern moved here to the Customer Service help section for greater exposure to actual Comcast employees for assistance.

Problem Solver

• 

1.1K Messages

3 years ago

I am sorry to hear about your past experiences with us @user_45e3fb. I can assure you though, we do not pad any internet usage on customers account at all. You are able to track your data usage through the Xfinity App under the Internet tab. 

Unfortunately, we have no way to identify which devices are using the most data either. To dispute your data, and if you think it is calculating incorrectly, you will need to contact our Customer Security Assurance Team at

1-877-807-6581. 

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

@XfinityKorie 

no thank you. Done that three times and the people answering those phone have no clue. Every device I own is unplugged from your wifi now and I’ll be there in the morning to turn in this modem. Explain how 1 device has used 40 GB of data in less than 12 hrs? Not padding??? No not at all. 

Official Employee

• 

982 Messages

@user_45e3fb I'm sorry for your frustration with us and to read you will be returning the modem. We are happy to go into detail with you about the data usage and billing at the store if you would like. Otherwise, you can return the modem without any issues. Thanks!

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

Oct. 21, 2021  I am now in the same boat!!  I moved here in Sept 2021.  Xfinity is the only choice we had here. (have no idea why) This has been the worst thing I have ever  done.   First after so many tries they said they found a modem that would work and let me have basic TV!  Wrong.  Had to drop the TV.  It froze and came on all by it's self every night.   We would be on agent chat for hours.  Then get it up and running only for it to freeze again..  Now they are saying because I have a Roku, an Hulu for my TV that is what is using my data.  We had Roku from the start. We had Hulu also.  Just upgraded to local channels.  That was why we only went with basic TV package.  So I called today because I got "the notice" about data usage.  First I was told I could not get the unlimited data.  I got off the agent chat and called them.  What a joke.  She barely spoke English.  She told "yes you can get unlimited data"  I said for the $11 a month increase?  "YES!"  "Now let  me look for a new package for you."  I said why.  My package is landline and internet.  She says "Yes. Yes."  Now I will look for the new package.  By the time she was done My new package "with both landline and internet" and unlimited data will be $96.80.  I said WHAT! I am paying $54 a month all I want is the unlimited data.   HER:  "YES, YES"  your new package.  I rent the modem from them since they told back in Sept 2021 that my modem would not work.  It was useless.  I am so tired of this.  Of course I am under contact until Aug. 2022.  So throwing in the trash is out.  Have no idea what to do.  Only 2 of my phone jacks work.  One needed for modem and one in the kitchen.  Paid the $100 for "tech" to come.  He never got the wall plugs to work.  Only modem one and kitchen.  I did fight that and got my money back.   Now I think because I cancelled TV they are saying my usage is going over the limit, that they said only a few of our customers go over.  Makes you wonder.  I am at my wits end.  Can anyone from Xfinity ever tell you the truth??  They find a way to stick it to you.  

Official Employee

• 

1K Messages

Hey there, I am so sorry for the poor experience, it sounds like you canceled cable with us and now watch live tv through Hulu, which is almost certainly the cause of the data usage spike since that would be all internet based. As for promotions, I can take a deeper look for you. Send a direct message to Xfinity Support with your name and address. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

So, if xfinity isn’t padding their internet usage, explain this, I turned wifi off on both mine and my boyfriend’s phones early this morning when we went over our limit, so the only wifi being used is for the tv. We’ve used 40 GB of data since then and the day isn’t even over. TV is now unplugged and off, not 1 device using wifi. So we will see how today ends. By the way it looks, I’d have to pay an additional $10 everyday for 11 days. This is some joke. And you have complaint after complaint after complaint. And no desire to even make any attempt to resolve or fix the issue. Xfinity you just lost a customer. And I will scream it and post and tell everyone I come in contact with. 

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

@XfinityAnthonyT        I am going into the store today.  All I want is the $11 unlimited data.  That is it.  Yes I know the bill will go up (taxes and all theother things added to it) however a more than double that is not right.   

Official Employee

• 

644 Messages

@user_9cbc45 As a heavy streamer myself, I understand you concerns and can help get unlimited data added to your account here. 

Please send me a direct message with your name and address to get started. 

To send a Private Message, please click on the chat icon in the top-right corner of the screen, next to the bell icon, and then type or select "Xfinity Support" to initiate a live chat.

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

@user_45e3fb   found this on internet:

First off, let me be apparent that internet providers have no real reason to enforce internet data caps. Comcast Xfinity has shown this is a money play due to the lack of internet competition. Even the recent spike in internet usage due to the pandemic has not created any network issues for Xfinity, so their story of trying to keep their network’s integrity does not hold water. When the home internet market has more true competition, I highly doubt we will have data caps any longer. Apparently some in government agree, as seen in this Xfinity Price Gouging Investigation.  

• 1.2 TB (1,200 GB) is the internet data usage limit for Xfinity each month.
  • If you go over you, pay $10 for each 50GB.
  • Every month resets and the first month you go over is no charge.

If its not bad enough that Comcast Xfinity raises prices every 6-12 months, now they have found a new sneaky way get more money from their customers. Comcast Xfinity is the only Internet provider in Colorado that enforces data caps by charging its customers extra money every time they go over their data usage cap. You can log in to your My Xfinity account on the app or check your Xfinity data usage online.     

Xfinity has a data cap because their goal is to keep people from “cord-cutting” or cancelling their cable service. If you have internet, why would you need TV? Xfinity wants to make sure that they can continue offering bundled packages for those who want both services.

We believe Xfinity’s data cap is a sneaky move that has been in the making for years. They try to keep people from cancelling their TV service now by punishing them if they don’t need or use it much.

Cord-cutting is a better solution to Xfinity’s data cap problem. You can still have internet, but you will be able to save money on your cable bill and watch what you want when you want.        Sadly most people have no real options to change to a different high-speed internet provider. Trust me, Xfinity fully understands this, which is the whole reason they charge for data caps in the first place.

New Poster

• 

10 Messages

3 years ago

Interesting.  I'm having the same problem that started around the same time as the original poster.  It all started about the same time my new modem arrived.  My old modem used to show me percentages of usage per profile and now it doesn't.  We've been coming close to going over but can't figure out why.  Tonight we totaled up our usage based on what our devices tracked for the last 30 days.  Our totals do not match.  I don't think Xfinity is padding the numbers.  Instead I'm being dinged for anyone who connects to Xfinity through my modem.  When I view my account to see who is connected to my account I see only my household devices, as expected.  I honestly feel my problems is with my modem.  It takes over a minute to connect to it, and I'm wired into my modem rather than using wireless.  Some pages will not load, like displaying the Xfinity Network.  The devices it shows connected to, and recently disconnects are the same devices I have listed in my account.  But the numbers are not adding up.  It is somewhere between 20-40% over stated.  I feel it has something to do with hotspot broadcasting, which is enabled by default.  I just disabled it and we'll see it this helps.

(edited)

Problem Solver

• 

909 Messages

Hello, @PuzzleMeThis. The public hotspots should not count towards your internet usage. The system does not track the usage in the same way as your home connection. You can find out more on the feature by going here. However, we definitely want to figure out what's happening with the data usage and why it's not aligning with what is reflecting on your devices. Is the usage meter on your devices set for the 1st of the month? We track usage from the 1st to the last of the month, rather than aligning to your billing cycle. I can also look into reprovisioning your modem to ensure it's communicating properly with our network and ensure the settings are correct for your new modem. Please send us a Direct Message with your first and last name. The message icon is located at the top right of the Community Forum page, clicking on the message icon will allow you to initiate a chat conversation with us directly. Please ensure you are sending your message to our 'Xfinity Support' handle. 

I no longer work for Comcast.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Having the exact same issue. Went from using 1/3 of the 1.2TB to suddenly doubling the usage last month, and was just received an email that we were at 75% only 4 days into November. Last month I was told that it appeared to be a mistake and that the overage would not be added to the bill (we will see if that is true). Now I am inclined to believe something is going on with the modems miscalculating.

Problem Solver

• 

729 Messages

That is very possible, @user_1f15fd, and we have a team who can look at that and make sure it gets straightened out! This team is our Customer Security Assurance Team and they are experts at this kind of thing! They are open from 8:00 am to midnight 7 days a week, and you can reach them at 800-Xfinity! I would suggest calling them as soon as you get a minute and letting them know what is going on. If you have any further questions, you can also send me a DM here too! 

To send a direct message you may need to:

Click "Sign In"

Click the "direct message" icon

Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line

Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

Press Enter to send it

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

I am also 100% positive that the data usage is wrong. I have had internet services with a company called DirectCom for 3 years previous to this and i have never once been over 350 gb in a month. I recently moved and Comcast is sadly the only provider in my new area… since i have been with Comcast, they have said that I am at 90% or have reached my max data for the past 5 months. I would love to know how this is possible. Mind you, when i had the other provider, i had faster download speeds and 4 people living in my house. So combined between 4 people we barely used consistently 300 gb. Now it is just me and 1 other person in my house and suddenly I’m being told I’m using over 4x the data that i consistently used for the previous 3 years? It’s funny how “conveniently” you have no way to show how much data is being used. Over the thanksgiving holiday, my house was empty (went out of town) and this is when i received my notice that i had reached max data. No one was even home to use it!
It’s a joke calling into the customer service. They can’t even pass along a message for a manager to call me back.  When i have called in, they immediately assure me that the calculation is accurate with no actual proof they can provide. The can’t even provide a daily breakdown to show how much was used on a particular day. It’s all a big scam to force everyone to upgrade to unlimited so they can make more. When i spoke to my tech during the original install, he asked me about upgrading and i told him that the internet in primarily just for streaming service(Hulu,Netflix,etc..) and he was like “ oh nevermind. You shouldn’t be anywhere near the limit… and i know I’m not. But the money grab continues right Comcast?

Problem Solver

• 

909 Messages

Hello, @user_57bff5 . I recommend contacting our Customer Security Assurance Team to see if they're able to provide you more information on your data usage. They have access to additional information regarding your usage and can further review what may be causing the increase in usage with you. Our CSA team may be reached at 1-888-565-4329. 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

This advice is awful.  I have an enterprise class grade router with deep packet inspection. There is no way I could have possibly used the data that was quoted BECAUSE I AM TRACKING EVERY PACKET.  I called your CSA team and it was so infuriating to be told to use less data or that it's a virus.  Your system is wrong.  Simple as that. And you're playing games.  Looking forward to the class action on this because I'll gladly provide my logs.

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

2 years ago

Xfinity's data reporting does not match my Sophos firewall reporting. Everything (except VOIP, note we rarely use the VOIP phone system) coming and going from my Comcast/Xfinity network routes through my Sophos firewall. While I have not been charged for overages I received a 75% warning in December 2021 at about 900Gb.

Prior to the warning notice I had not paid much attention to how much data I was using beyond Comcast's data report which said I used 542Gb in October, 579Gb in November and 994Gb in December. My firewall reports 411Gb in October, 392Gb in November, and 488Gb in December (these are upload+download totals). Even today, 2 days in to January, the count is off--Sophos reports 23.6Gb, Xfinity reports 27Gb. My firewall lets me breakdown my usage by device and I see clearly my Apple TV device is the biggest data user (which makes sense). Working from home also generates a lot of data usage from family members laptops.

A discrepancy of +/- 10Gb (10%) would be reasonable but I see 24%, 32% and 50% over the last 3 months (it appears to be getting worse). Is there a non-ip network data transfer between the Xfinity cable box that does not go through the cable modem? Is VOIP data included in Xfinity's data report? It would be great if Xfinity could help me figure this out before I get a bill. Thanks.

Official Employee

• 

958 Messages

Hey @user_7f5fe2, thank you for reaching out on our forums and those are great questions. VOIP for Xfinity voice is not included in that data usage. That usage would be very small anyway and not equate to the difference. The TV box's apps for streaming like Netflix, Disney +, etc do use internet data. They may not be showing on your firewall's reports. For privacy reasons, our access is limited to see what the data usage is. You can contact our Customer Security Assurance team to dispute it more in depth. Their contact options are listed a couple comments up.

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

Thank you for the clarification on VOIP and TV box app data (which I hadn't considered). I use TV apps occasionally but I will avoid them from now on. I will continue to monitor my data use via my firewall and the Xfinity data report and will follow up with your customer security assurance team and report anything I learn. At this point I don't really have anything to dispute yet since I haven't gone over the limit and been charged extra. I do think there is a problem somewhere and I hope the appropriate group at Xfinity will investigate. Obviously this problem is happening to a number of customers and since there is a charge associated with the overage Xfinity needs to be clear how this is calculated. 

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

One more question, do recorded shows use data (out side the IP network) when played back on the current cable TV boxes? If so that might explain some of the difference I see. I also found this page: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-internet-data-usage-details which explains the app situation but does not mention recorded show play back.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

958 Messages

@user_7f5fe2, You're welcome and thank you for taking the time to go over it. That makes sense and Xfinity also has one courtesy month of overages if there is a sudden spike. At my house, it was when I got a 4K TV and was streaming 4K I noticed a big spike. Recordings do not go against your data usage. We do have a team that monitors it constantly to make sure everything is working right. Disputes through the CSA team would go to them if there was an issue. Our website here, also breaks down what on the TV box uses internet.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

Xfinity suddenly is claiming that I have gone way over my data limit when my household activities have not changed. In a typical month, we use less than 900 GB. In December they claim we used over 1500GB. I have a Netgear C7000v2 Gateway modem/router that after 2 1/2 days is showing 21% less usage than Xfinity is claiming we used between12 a.m. January 1, 2020 and 2 p.m. January 3. 91 GB v.s. 110 GB. They refuse to explain how they are measuring my usage, and are forcing me to buy more data, since there is no other ISP in our city. What happened to our anti-trust laws?

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

Hello @user_877292, and thank you for reaching out about your usage. The most accurate team for usage is our Customer Security Assurance Team at 1-877-807-6581. As you use your own device our app can't track the usage per device for more information, but they would be happy to help you as much as possible finding out what the usage is measured by. 

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

I cut cable at the end of November and went with 1.2T which I was assured was more than enough based on my ( 5 year) historical usage.

After 26 days I was close to my max so I turned off my router until January 1.

8 days later I am at 75%. In those 8 days, one person one phone one tv and streaming a maximum of 9 hours. Comcast/Xfinity is up to no good again!!

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

Hello @Srafferty, we appreciate you taking the time to reach out to our team through Forums. We will be more than happy to help and look into your data issues, please send a Direct Message with your full name and address.

Here are the detailed steps to direct message us:
• Click "Sign In" if necessary
• Click the "Peer to peer chat" icon (upper right corner of this page)
• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
• Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list
• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
• Press Enter to send your message

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

@Srafferty​ yes because the last few months their system that claims to be right says I have used less than 0 gb for three months straight  … I even called them and they just told me that I haven’t used any internet for 3 months which is a straight lie! So I haven’t even tried being on there as much the last month because I know how Comcast uses shady business practices and hopefully the federal government will come save us all soon!! 

Visitor

• 

9 Messages

Class action lawsuit is coming…

Visitor

• 

9 Messages

2 years ago

My data use doubled starting in August and has remained above 1,200 since. Nothing changed on my end. I’ve tried and tried and Comcast seems unable to provide an itemized data usage report. Can they really withhold this from me? How can you claim a certain data usage without any data to support that use? 

Official Employee

• 

455 Messages

Hello @user_53b983 I do understand your concerns. I do suggest that you reach out to our Customer Security Assurance (CSA) team at 1-888-565-4329 from 6:00am - 2:00am EST, 7 days a week. They specialize in these concerns. The CSA team can also be reached by the following link. https://comca.st/34tSXuz 

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

My data started spiking in mid-November when I installed a new Netgear router.  Usage was 850GB every month for the 10 months before that.  In November Xfinity says my usage jumped to over 2000GB....same for December resulting in $80 in overage charges.  Xfinity cannot explain how this could happen.  Our usage patterns have NOT changed.  I finally gave up and tossed that router and replaced it and my (very) old Motorola modem with a new Motortola MG7550 modem/router which touts Xfinity compatibility.  Now I'm trying to monitor my usage and Xfinity tells me they are NO LONGER able to give me the numbers as they can't read my ne modem.  I've tice now been to the Level 2 Security team and gotten NO ANSWERS.  No one at Xfinity can tell me how much data I'm using since I installed the new device or why they can't read this new modem when they had no problem reading the info from the last Motorola modem.  Who says monopolies are a problem and stifle competition!!

Official Employee

• 

2K Messages

I am sorry for how your experience has made you feel. Do you use your MyAccount App? You can use the free MyAccount app to pay your bill as well as review your billing, troubleshoot your account, scheduled and check appointments and many other features to manage your account. The main thing I use my MyAccount app is to monitor my homes data usage since I work and educate my kids from home. All 4 of us are constantly on the computer using the internet. You can also view your data usage using our Data Usage Center with the link: https://comca.st/3rmldrS;

At this time data usage is verified by an independent, third-party auditor. The best course of action, in this case, would actually be to report this to our Customer Security Assurance. You can contact them by following this link: https://comca.st/3GhkQTP or by calling CSA Toll-Free Number: 1-888-565-4329. I totally get how this is not the best answer or the most desirable and I am really sorry. 

Contributor

• 

36 Messages

@user_e523ad​  If you feel you will exceed data cap in a particular month, get that xfi complete that covers unlimited data and gateway online protection for only $30 without promotion per month. I got my xfi complete package for $10 per month with a 1-year contract with Xfinity in end 2020, but I got a 2-year price guarantee earlier too. If you do not think you will exceed data cap each month, then cancel in months you do not use unlimited data. I think it's totally $10 per month with a contract to have unlimited data coverage. If you rent modem from Xfinity for $14 per month, you get free wifi coverage and tech support. That tech support is different than customers without renting modem from Xfinity. If you ever experience signal dropping or data usage errors, you get free tech support and in-person visit to your address depends on particular issues. I have never bought a modem or a wifi router and sold my used one since I started to use Xfinity service three years ago. 

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

I'm hoping someone hires an attorney for a class action lawsuit. This seems fraudulent to me. How can everyone's data usage all of a sudden spike in the past few months, after they implemented their data cap last April??

They threatened me with up to $100 in extra charges unless I buy there $30 unlimited program . They told me that I could monitor individual users' data usage if I installed their modem, which turned out to be false.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

Unfortunately, my story is exactly the same as what I have just read on this forum. Consistently for months, we stayed under 400GB/mo. Suddenly in Dec 1500BG+. Jan 2000GB+. Five days into Feb I am already at 300GB+. Absolutely NO changes to my network in Dec....and in fact, I was gone for 5 days. We don't game at all much less on line. 1 TV in the house. As mentioned, consistently use less than 400 GB. Now, forced to buy their protection plan for $30/mon. I have spent hours in the Comcasts store and with customer service, customer assurance and with data assurance. I am promised a call back within 48-74 hours. Nothing. Now going on round two of "we'll look into this and call you back". The traffic meter on my own modem says we're nowhere near this limit. All the while, they can not tell me what devices are using data, or verify that I am even really using the data they say I am.  They are just happy to bill me. If this doesn't stop and fast, I will switch companies. I have been a loyal Comcast customer for well over 20 years-but that doesn't mean I need to stay loyal when I feel like I am getting robbed. Sorry Comcast, but that's how I feel. 

Contributor

• 

36 Messages

@narduccifav2​ You should login to your account and chat with Xfinity tech support online, and then have them to schedule a tech visit at your address. If you rent modem from Xfinity, they would cover the cost of tech visit and overcharges for exceeding data cap. However, you had your own modem that's out of control of Xfinity. It might be that your cable outside of your house got compromised or used by other people nearby you. That cable is wired connection to the wall behind your modem and should be located outside of your house or apartment. My previous apartment had decades old cable and wire got crossed over by other non-Xfinity companies. That's checked by Xfinity tech who told me in person more than a couple years ago. All companies shared the old cables to offer internet services in that apartment. I finally moved out that so called "luxury" apartment (old, dirty but expensive). 

(edited)

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

2 years ago

I am now in the same boat as many of you. I live in a two person household. I have never had an issue with date usage in the past and my historical usage is around 400GB per month. We are currently 8 days into February and they claim I have used 1,314GB and charged me an extra $20. I called to find out what is going on and got ZERO help from the representative who claimed maybe my thermostat is using all this extra data. She was then quick to try and bleed another $11 per month out of me for unlimited data. Xfinity can't even look up your devices and tell you how much data each device is pulling. This is 1000% a scam Xfinity is pulling to make more money. I am going to cancel all of my services and sign up with AT&T. Edited : Language (Please see Forums Guidelines https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/guidelines/xfinity-forum-guidelines/602da8fdc5375f08cd20b38c)

(edited)

Problem Solver

• 

954 Messages

Hello @user_8d9d2d. I am sorry to hear that your are having issues with your data plan. Why we do not have a way to see what devices are using how much data, we do have a department that can. They are called our Customer Security Assurance team. There phone number to reach out about the data overage is 1-877-807-6581.

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

@user_8d9d2d​ 

This data usage on Xfinity is simply VOODOO!!  Since I mysteriously started spiking (from 850GB/month to over 2000GB/month!!)  I've been watching and charting my data usage very carefully.  Today between 2:30 PM and 3:45 PM the Xfinity usage meter said we used 4 GB of data.  That was without watching any TV or doing any web browsing.  We did have 2 computers "running" by which I mean that they were turned on and had a few windows open, there was no ACTIVE uploading or downloading taking place.  Our other Internet users are 3 "Alexa" devices and a weather station giving me temps and humidity readings.  How in the world did we use 4 GB of data??  I believe HDTV watching uses 1-3 GB hour (wasn't doing that!) and that general web browsing uses 60 MB (not GB) an hour (wasn't doing that either!).  So what in the world used 4 GB of data in 75 minutes??

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

@XfinityAaron​ 

* Their

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

@user_e523ad​ It's all a big scam to get you to pay for unlimited. Unless Xfinity fixes this issue and refunds all additional charges, I will be taking them to small claims court for the max amount allowed in my state. After a little reading it seems that Xfinity has a provision in the service contract that all issues must go through arbitration, so small claims is the only real option. I advise others in this situation to look into small claims as well. 

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

@XfinityAaron​ I was on the phone with Customer Security Team for about an hour. It was a complete waste of time. They told me there is no way to monitor how devices use data and that I have to take Comcast's word for the data usage because it was "verified by an independent source".  Well, sorry but MY meter says otherwise. 

Contributor

• 

36 Messages

2 years ago

If you choose xfinity complete or rent modem from xfinity, your issue should not occur. Rent modem from xfinity does cost you $14 extra per month but the benefit is huge. If your data usage is inaccurate that's confirmed by xfinity tech either via chat or in person at your address, then you will not be charged for any amount you went over the data cap in the period. If you buy xfinity complete for $30 extra (there maybe a bundle discount if you rent modem), then you will get free gateway online protection and unlimited data at the same time. I do not understand why people love to pay more than $100 for exceeding their data caps and complain about the overcharges. If you do not pay that unlimited data, $30 will only cover you 150 GB beyond the data cap since xfinity charges $10 per 50 GB after you exceed data cap up to $200 in total. 

My issue is different than yours since my new modem latest model does not update any data usage. I do have unlimited data so it will not charge extra even if I exceed data cap of 1.2 TB per month. It's 3/2 now. My data usage is still stuck at less than 1 GB for March. I did a test run with Origin account's game download that's over 100 GB for one game. Nothing changed on my data usage after 24 hours. I did exceed data cap in February but it counted me less than 900 GB. I have multiple PCs and mobile devices and have them online most of daytime, but only game downloads from Origin uses more data than other usages. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here