Retired Employee

• 

5.9K Messages

Monday, March 16th, 2020 10:00 AM

Closed

Comprehensive COVID-19 Response to Help Keep Americans Connected

***UPDATED 04/28/2020 - Updates to initiatives***

***UPDATED 03/26/2020 - Added additional FAQs***

COVID-19 has had a tremendous impact on nearly every aspect of our daily lives. Across Comcast, NBCUniversal, and Sky, we are working hard to do everything we can to support our customers, employees, and communities during this unprecedented time.

Initiatives

• Working to Ensure 24x7 Network Health: Our engineers and technicians micro-monitor our network reliability and performance constantly, running 700k+ diagnostic speed tests most days. Since March 1, we have seen a 32% increase in upstream traffic and 18% increase in downstream traffic, still within the overall capacity of our network. Our network continues to deliver to support the capacity our customers need while they are working, learning, and connecting from home.
  • Internet Essentials Free to New Customers: Through June 30, eligible new customers can sign up to receive 60 days of complimentary Internet Essentials service, which is the nation’s largest, most comprehensive internet adoption program for low-income households. We work in partnership with tens of thousands of school districts, libraries, municipalities, and nonprofit community partners to help bridge the digital divide and support digital literacy. We recently expanded Internet Essentials eligibility to include all low-income families, including seniors, veterans, and people with disabilities.
  • Speed Boost for All Internet Essentials Customers: We’ve permanently increased speeds for all of our new and existing Internet Essentials customers across the country.
  • Support For University Students: Xfinity is now offering eligible university students who live in our service areas and need internet service a Visa prepaid card worth about two months of internet service. No upfront fees, no installation costs.
  • Free Xfinity WiFi For Everyone: Through June 30, Xfinity WiFi hotspots located in businesses and outdoor locations across the country are available to anyone who needs them for free – including non-Xfinity internet subscribers.
  • Unlimited Data: While the vast majority of Xfinity customers do not come close to using 1TB of data in a month, Comcast is pausing its data plans through June 30 giving all customers unlimited data for no additional charge.
  • No Disconnects or Late Fees for Xfinity Internet, Mobile, or Voice Customers: We will not disconnect a customer’s Xfinity Internet, Xfinity Mobile, or Xfinity Voice service, and we will waive late fees if they contact us and let us know that they can’t pay their bills through June 30. Sky has also committed to working with customers who might find it difficult to pay their bills and ensure they are supported appropriately. Comcast Business customers can find more information here.
  • Free Calls for Sky Talk Customers: Calls to UK landlines at any time of day will be free for existing Sky Talk customers until the end of April.
  • Sky Mobile Data Boost: All Sky Mobile customers will receive a 10GB data boost free of charge. Sky Mobile customers can also make calls to the NHS helpline and hospital phone numbers for free.
  • Virtual Tools for Businesses: Comcast Business is supporting customers as they begin to run their businesses from home, providing free trials of apps and services including virtual project management, business text messaging, and collaboration tools that will help them stay productive and secure.
  • Cybersecurity Protection: With the influx in COVID-19-related cybersecurity schemes, our team of security experts continue to work 24/7 to monitor our network using a mix of highly sophisticated technologies, threat intelligence, and proprietary AI-powered software, which helps us to detect and block hundreds of thousands of cyber events every second.
  • Increasing Access to News & Information: Our NBC and Sky news teams are working around the clock to keep the world informed and we’re bringing that news and information to more people than ever.
  • Providing Free Educational Resources: In partnership with Common Sense Media, we’ve curated thousands of hours of free educational programming into an education destination for Xfinity video customers to support remote learning for
    kids K-12.
  • Delivering More Entertainment: We are bringing great entertainment home to consumers in new ways – offering movies on demand on the same day as their theatrical releases and making more free content available to X1 video customers. Simply say "Free" into your Xfinity Voice Remote.
  • Supporting Our People: We have committed $500 million to support our employees where operations have been closed or impacted, made work from home options as broadly available as possible, and enhanced safety measures for customer-facing employees.

For an current overview of everything we are doing for our Xfinity customers, click here.

Our hearts go out to all people and families impacted by this virus. Please let us know if you have any questions related to these efforts here. 

Open Hotspots Frequently Asked Questions

What hotspots are included?
Xfinity WiFi hotspots located both indoors and outdoors in places like shopping districts, parks, businesses, and train stations will be opened. Please note that hotspots located in customers’ homes will not be opened to the public.

If users do not see the Accept & Connect button and are instead asked to sign in using their Xfinity ID and/or password, they may be attempting to access an Xfinity WiFi Home hotspot. Exact hotspot locations can be found at xfinity.com/wifi/#find-a-hotspot or using the Xfinity WiFi app.

Does the free access apply to both customers and non-customers?
Yes, anyone in proximity to an Xfinity WiFi hotspot can access them.

How does someone connect to the Xfinity WiFi hotspot?

1. Visit xfinity.com/wifi to see a map of Xfinity WiFi hotspots. Open hotspots, both indoor and outdoor, will be displayed on the map in a light green color.
  2. Once at a hotspot, customers and non-customers should select xfinitywifi from the list of available WiFi networks, and then launch a browser.
  3. Xfinity Internet customers can sign in using their Xfinity ID and password to be automatically connected to Xfinity WiFi hotspots in the future.
  4. Non-Xfinity Internet customers can connect by clicking the Accept & Connect button. Non-Xfinity customers will be able to renew their complimentary sessions every two hours.

Additional Frequently Asked Questions

How can I reach Xfinity for help with my services?

Xfinity help is always available on your smartphone, in X1, and online. For certain issues, you can even file a report online.

To protect the health and safety of our customers and employees, we have temporarily reduced the services available in stores to essential services and are limiting the in-home services provided by our technicians. We are also transitioning many of our call center representatives to work from home.

For now, we recommend managing your services, paying your bill, troubleshooting, or receiving support by using:

• Xfinity My Account app: for support, including to pay your bill, change your WiFi name and password, check for service outages, explore your TV channel lineup or troubleshoot your Xfinity equipment.
  • Xfinity Assistant: available for chat in the My Account app, Facebook Messenger (through the Xfinity Facebook page) and the xFi app, to answer a range of questions, such as how to troubleshoot.
  • Xfinity Mobile app: manage your Xfinity Mobile account, view your data usage, switch your data to Unlimited or By the Gig shared data, view and pay your bill, track your order.
  • X1 Voice Remote: say "Help" into your X1 Voice Remote for help and support, including troubleshooting.
  • Xfinity xFi app: manage all of the devices on your network, get alerts when new devices connect, run health checks for your internet service.
  • Xfinity Stream app: watch top networks and live sports on the go and get your entire channel lineup on any screen at home.

How can I find out if there's an outage or service interruption happening near me?

There can be a number of reasons why we might experience a network event, including weather and local construction. We have teams who work around the clock locally and nationally to monitor our network and address any issues, many times before they impact our customers. To check for local outages, visit the Outage Status Center. To see the status of your home network and services, sign into My Account. And you can report an issue online if you are concerned about wires in your area.

How can Xfinity help low-income Americans with affordable Internet service?

We've been looking for ways to help through our Internet Essentials program, the nation's largest and most comprehensive broadband adoption program for low-income Americans. Effective March 16, we are putting in place two substantial program enhancements to help these families deal with this crisis.

1. We will make it even easier for low-income families who live in a Comcast service area to sign up by offering new customers 60 days of complimentary Internet Essentials service, which is normally available to all qualified low-income households for $9.95/month.
  2. We are increasing Internet speeds for the Internet Essentials service from 15/2 Mbps to 25/3 Mbps for all new and existing customers, which will be the speed of the service going forward. In this way, we will ensure that Internet Essentials customers will be able to use their Internet service for all their increased needs as a result of this health crisis.

We want to make it as fast and simple as possible to access this service:

• To receive the increased Internet speeds, existing customers will not need to do anything.
  • For new customers, applicants can simply visit www.internetessentials.com. The accessible website also includes the option to video chat with customer service agents in American Sign Language. There are also two dedicated phone numbers 1-855-846-8376 for English and 1-855-765-6995 for Spanish.

Source:

https://corporate.comcast.com/covid-19

Additional Information:

https://www.xfinity.com/prepare

https://www.internetessentials.com/covid19

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/On-Demand/Comcast-NBCUniversal-Moves-To-Make-Current-Movies-Available/td-p/3314092

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Internet/ANSWERED-How-to-Use-a-VPN-with-Your-Xfinity-Internet-Service/ta-p/3314082

https://corporate.comcast.com/press/releases/comcast-nbcuniversal-moves-to-make-current-movies-available-in-the-home

https://corporate.comcast.com/stories/sky-to-make-new-cinema-releases-available-the-same-day-in-the-home

Expert

• 

30.4K Messages

4 years ago

@adamstevens wrote:

With families like mine quarantined, with schools closed, we are spending all of our time at home and yes, using internet almost 24/7. With the exceptional and extraneous circumstances that the COVID-19 outbreak has imposed on all of us, will you please temporarily lift the 1 TB monthly cap until we get through this thing?

At the very top of this thread is your answer.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Hi, wondering why if you are doing so much for customers at this time of the pandemic you are okay with requiring clients to come into your store to wait in line and drop off old equipment ? Why are you okay with not social distancing? Why do we have to pick returning your remote or exposing ourselves and the more vulnerable? I was told by your customer service that the pandemic did not matter when it came to returning your equipment and being subject to fees.

Retired Employee

• 

5.9K Messages

4 years ago

@Dmadon wrote:
Hi, wondering why if you are doing so much for customers at this time of the pandemic you are okay with requiring clients to come into your store to wait in line and drop off old equipment ? Why are you okay with not social distancing? Why do we have to pick returning your remote or exposing ourselves and the more vulnerable? I was told by your customer service that the pandemic did not matter when it came to returning your equipment and being subject to fees.

@Dmadon 

We appreciate your feedback. We have always allowed our customer's multiple options to return their Comcast equipment. Should you need to return your rented equipment, there are four ways to do so:

Initiate your return online (recommended)

1. Sign in and visit the Equipment Return page. (Note: You must have an active Xfinity profile to process your return online. If you don't, you can head directly to a UPS Store near you).
    Already submitted a return request? You can track your return at the Pending Return Status page.
  2. Check off the device(s) you'd like to return and select Continue. When returning your device(s), check the serial number on the device to ensure that it matches your selection.
    Note: If you're returning a TV Box, you can click Identify Device, which will send a signal to that specific TV and display an on-screen message to let you know that this is the correct TV Box.
  3. Choose a reason for return and press Continue.
  4. Select a return option, follow the listed instructions, and press Confirm.

Stop by a local UPS Store

1. Visit theupsstore.com/tools/find-a-store to find a UPS Store near you.
  2. You may either bring your equipment to the store and a UPS representative will pack and ship your equipment back to us, or you may package the equipment yourself using a cardboard box and the prepaid UPS shipping label you printed at home.
  3. If a UPS Store representative packages the equipment for you, you will receive a physical receipt with your tracking number so that you can track the progress of your return at xfinity.com/returns or on UPS.com. Otherwise, you may reference the tracking number on the return label to monitor your package. Please allow up to two weeks for the return to process and your account to reflect these changes.

Stay in the Know: If you have an email address on file, you will also receive a confirmation email letting you know that the equipment was received and the date that the return was processed. Update your email address.

Visit us at a Comcast Service Center or Xfinity Store

1. Find a Comcast Service Center or Xfinity Store location near you - we'd love to see you.
  2. Drop off your equipment at any Comcast Service Center or Xfinity Store. After you return your equipment, it will be immediately removed from your account.
  3. Our team at the Xfinity Store will provide you with a receipt confirming your return details.

Send your equipment back with a prepaid UPS shipping label

1. Once you have followed the instructions online at xfinity.com/returns and confirmed the device(s) you are returning, choose UPS Prepaid Shipping. A prepaid shipping label will be prepared for you. Click Print Shipping Label to print the label for your package.
  2. Put the equipment being returned into its original box, and place your UPS prepaid shipping label on the outside. Keep the top portion of the label with the tracking number included, as this will be your receipt.
  3. Drop the package off anywhere that UPS shipments are accepted. Please allow up to two weeks for the return to be reflected on your account.

*If you have already contacted Comcast to disconnect your account and still need to return your equipment, you can use the Comcast Service Center/Xfinity Store or UPS Store drop-off options for your return.

Additional information about returning your equipment can be found here: https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/My-Account/ANSWERED-How-to-Return-Your-Xfinity-Equipment/ta-p/3003387

Expert

• 

192 Messages

4 years ago

@Vila22 wrote:
During this trying time for all , you would think Comcast would at least give customers a financial break or discount FOR ONCE from their ridiculous high prices !!! 16 years & the only thing I get is higher prices the longer we are with you. $281 for a cable bill is outrageous

@Vila22 

Comcast is already supporting customers by removing Data Limits and opening their xifi hotspots. Both of these cost Comcast money to provide their customers. I think it may be unreasonable to ask that they not charge/reduce your bill, seeing as you are obviously taking advantage of their services. Additionally, per the main post: "We will not disconnect a customer’s internet service or assess late fees if they contact us and let us know that they can’t pay their bills during this period. Our care teams will be available to offer flexible payment options and can help find other solutions." Not sure what else you want. If your bill is too high you should try contacting Comcast directly to see if there are packages/services you can afford. 

@CVCodger wrote:

Given the large number of Virginians hunkered down at home to help contain spread of COVID-19, it would be a huge public service if Comcast offered new theatrical movies for home viewing at no or reduced cost. At the moment, we're all extra-dependent on cable tv to navigate the long days at home. Shouldn't Comcast consider this move, especially given the steps so many other companies are taking to support their customers during these trying times?

@KadKat wrote:
I thought it would be a nice gesture for Xfinity/Comcast to get together with HBO, Cinemax, Showtime and Starz to provide your customers with FREE premium movie channels for the duration of the Stay Home Presidential Order. There's going to be a lot of home television watching in the next couple of month. Many of us have lost our jobs and are stuck at home due to the presidential order to shut down restaurants and other gathering places.

@CVCodger & @KadKat 

This literally just happened at the beginning of March. Comcast did their annual "Movie Week" starting March 2nd https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Channels-and-Programming/Movie-Week-2020/m-p/3308799 During this even I watched "Rocket Man" and the new "Whitney" movie. They advertised this event on commercials, on X1, on their websites, and here in the forum. Sorry if you missed it.

Additionally, per the "Additional Resources" link (https://corporate.comcast.com/press/releases/comcast-nbcuniversal-moves-to-make-current-movies-available-in-the-home) on the main post of this thread: "NBCUniversal today announced that Universal Pictures will make its movies available in the home on the same day as their global theatrical releases, as current circumstances have made it more challenging to view our films."

Not sure what else you are wanting. 

I think what most of you are missing is all these efforts being offered by Comcast/Universal is not required and not cheap. Maybe instead of complaints, we should be grateful that they are doing anything to help their customers considering there was no government mandate for them to do anything. 

Hope this helps.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

I am a teacher who will be using my internet to teach my students from home.  What will I be charged if I go over my data amount each month.  My daughter and I both will be using the computer a lot in the next few months.  I just can't afford much more and I'm afraid my bill will go up?!

Thanks,

Virtual Teacher as of Now

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

During this trying time for all , you would think Comcast would at least give customers a financial break or discount FOR ONCE from their ridiculous high prices !!! 16 years & the only thing I get is higher prices the longer we are with you. $281 for a cable bill is outrageous

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Thank you so much, Xfinity/Comcast!  I was worried!

Expert

• 

2.1K Messages

4 years ago

You should share that TP

For a map of Xfinity WiFi hotspots, visit www.xfinity.com/wifi. Once at a hotspot, consumers should select the “xfinitywifi” network name in the list of available hotspots and then launch a browser.

Only the ones listed in that map are the open ones. The ones broadcasted by customer homes will not be open.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

So free Wifi is only available "in places like shopping districts, parks, businesses, and train stations" which are on lockdown and inaccessible to needy people who are out of work and quarantined at home.  Brilliant. 

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

Since "free WiFi" in public gathering places is useless during a pandemic lockdown I attempted to apply for Internet Essentials online.  The application page returned errors after I checked what assistance I receive and eventually reset.  When I tried to restart my application it informed me that my application already exists and instructed me to enter my last name and phone number or application number (#) to resume it.  I tried both multiple times but the page returned errors every time.  So, it's impossible to apply. 

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Xfinity should consider doing the right thing and temporarily removing max GB data limits during this pandemic. Families are asked to keep kids home, work from home, etc. this will no doubt cause a sharp increase in data usage. Xfinity says only a small % use 1024 gigs of data then it shouldn't be an issue to do the right thing during this pandemic. Just my two cents...

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

WIth schools closed and parents working from home, has xfinity given any thought to relaxing the 1 TB data limit to help families out?

Kids are taking classes via internet, using streaming services, while parents are working from home too.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here