TMG211's profile

Contributor

• 

54 Messages

Saturday, December 3rd, 2022 2:46 PM

Closed

CW programming agreement expired

Last night we had the CW channel 11 in the NY/Philadelphia area and this morning it’s showing “Our programming agreement with this station has expired. As a result this content is not available through Xfinity or Comcast business at this time.”  What gives? I can’t find anything about it on Comcast website or my bill which usually lets customers know when a channel is no longer available. 

Official Solution

Retired Employee

• 

5.9K Messages

2 years ago

All,

Mission Broadcasting, the owner of WPIX (CW), has not granted Comcast rights to continue carrying the station, and as result, we were forced to stop carrying WPIX effective Dec. 3. We encourage Mission to grant us the rights to retransmit WPIX and return its content to our Xfinity TV customers.

While this may change in the future, for the time being, we offer a range of alternative content, that may offer similar viewing options. Peacock, Hulu, Pluto and XUMO also offer a wide variety of news, entertainment and sports programming, including local broadcast stations in some cases. Or you can try using your Xfinity Voice Remote to find alternate viewing options. Just say the name of the program or something like “legal dramas.”

For additional information about this change, please see here: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/wpix-broadcasting

For additional information about programming changes, please see here: https://www.xfinity.com/howitworks/

(edited)

Contributor

• 

54 Messages

@XfinityJessie​ While I appreciate your suggestions, and I realize you are only the messenger providing explanation, the bottom line is that customers are paying for a CABLE TV service which is becoming increasingly deficient while the cost continues to increase.  Options to stream are not an answer to this problem.  If we all wanted to stream, we would not be paying for CABLE TV, we'd be internet-only customers.  Moreover, I live in an area where Xfinity/Comcast is the only option available, unless we turn to something like DISH, etc.  It is a very frustrating situation, and even more so because customers have no recourse except to either pay the monthly bill or drop the service completely.

Problem Solver

• 

323 Messages

@TMG211 I do understand how nice it is to just turn the TV on to view your shows, and Ideally, we would have that as an option for you I hope that the streaming options are only a temporary solution. As of now, we are hoping just as much as you that we are able to come to an agreement so that you can go back to enjoying your shows the way you prefer, we want it to be convenient for you as a valued member of the Xfinity family. I assure you that our customers are our number one priority and we will always do what we believe is best for you. I recommend keeping an eye on the link provided earlier to check for when we will be in negotiations with any of your preferred networks and if there are any updates on this network.  

I no longer work for Comcast.

Accepted Solution

Contributor

• 

38 Messages

2 years ago

Contributor

• 

54 Messages

@DanASBNJ​ Thank you for sharing the article - does not sound promising!  I guess I can stop checking the channel to see if it's back in operation :(

Official Employee

• 

6.9K Messages

Hello @TMG211. We upload the content provided to us by the networks. For more information on how to request channels or content, please visit: https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/channel-availability-faqs/

(edited)

I no longer work for Comcast.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Contributor

• 

38 Messages

@TMG211​ It will probably be settled at the end of the mount or early next year along with the renewal of other Nexstar stations including WPHL and WGN with back compassion for WPIX included and all lawsuits dropped. 

(edited)

Gold Problem Solver

• 

7.9K Messages

2 years ago

Comcast does have a web page showing upcoming renewals. It doesn't mean something will be dropped, just that there may be negotiations going on. WPIX is one of them for December.

Be aware it might take two tries to get to the page. The recent web site changes often take you to some overview page instead of what you want.

https://www.xfinity.com/programmingchanges

Contributor

• 

54 Messages

@andyross​ thanks! I did go to that page after I posted and saw CW was one with an expired contract. Hopefully they renegotiate, I need my Seinfeld at night when I go to sleep! ;-) 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

That’s so funny I am in the same position!! 
I just want Seinfeld. But you can see episodes on Netflix.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

Omg!!! Same! I need my Seinfeld at 11 and 11:30!!!!

Contributor

• 

54 Messages

@user_fc006d​ True, but it's not the same as getting into bed, putting Seinfeld on my tv, setting the timer and drifting off to sleep.  :(

Contributor

• 

212 Messages

2 years ago

TMG211 -- We're also in the area, but have CW on Channel 13 and it's running there. Might it have changed locations, I wonder?

And Andyross -- You're right about that programming changes page. That's a real pain to get to. Good that you mentioned it.

Contributor

• 

54 Messages

@Harry3667​ thanks for responding. It’s definitely not on a different channel. The regular  channel shows the message about the expired contract so I’m guessing that’s the issue, not that it changed to a different number. Especially since the channel is also referred to as PIX11. But thanks! 

Contributor

• 

212 Messages

@TMG211​  My apologies -- I thought it was the same channel, but it's not. It is CW, but not PIX. I hope you get this worked out so you can watch your channel again.

Contributor

• 

61 Messages

2 years ago

I do not watch a ton of Cable TV anymore, now that we stream a lot.

However I am paying Comcast a lot every month for Xfinity TV (also pay for Gigabit internet) and CW / Pix 11 is among the channels I do still watch, mainly for the local NY NJ news at 10 PM.

There are alternatives such as watching the news at 11 on CBS NBC or ABC, but often it is convenient to watch at 10 PM. 

For the amount we pay every month , Xfinity needs to do more ensure we do not get short changed.

CW is just one example. NBCSN is another big channel loss... 

Despite the high cost of cable TV (along with internet service), till now I have resisted cutting the cord for various reasons, including certain content that is not available via streaming etc.

But at this rate, we may reconsider since there is less incentive to keep paying for cable TV given the content.. . 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

@njweb​ 100% agree. First, local programming, like the local transmission that I can get from an antenna, should not be up for negotiations and subject to blackout. It should still be a right to have the local channels for free. Comcast is making it easy to wanna cut the chord. Just keep my WiFi & mobile svc

Visitor

• 

1 Message

I agree!!!! Thank you. You took my thoughts out of my head so perfectly lol having basic local tv shouldn’t be paid for nor subject to cancel.  As much as we pay for xfinity service. It’s not fair to us at all. smh just another reason why I’m planning on cancelling tv and keeping WiFi and mobile. 
[Edited: "Inflammatory"]

(edited)

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I'm so glad that I found this posting.  I was going crazy wondering what happened to WPIX channel 11.  I tried calling Comcast, but all they wanted to do was "restart my cable box".  They had no real answers for the channel drop and it was very frustrating.  Thanks for all of these responses.

Contributor

• 

54 Messages

@user_99a277​ It is SO frustrating!  It's just a normal local channel and I cannot believe we don't have access to it.  And although it's listed on the page noted above, there is no real way of knowing if they are actively negotiating or if it's gone for good - trying to get any information out of this company is like falling into a deep dark hole - or the Bermuda triangle!

Contributor

• 

38 Messages

Nextar probably not only wants the rate Comcast paying for the other stations put the money that they feel is owed to them by Comcast for the whole period of time does it took over the station. since Comcast what is insisting on sticking to the rate agreed on with a previous owner. https://www.tvtechnology.com/news/nexstar-sues-comcast-over-wpix-retransmission-fees

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

First it was MSG last year and still no MSG. No CW channel 11 disgusting.

Contributor

• 

212 Messages

@user_bafaf6​  And you don't get as much as a simple apology when they don't come through, even when something is promised.

(edited)

Visitor

• 

1 Message

correct!!! no MSG CHANNEL...since last year, then i get the NBA PACKAGE so I can watch the NY Knicks....AND THATS BLOCKED OUT ALONG WITH THE Philadelphia 76er games!!!!! I'M NOT IN THE PHILLY MARKET!!!! I CANCELED THAT! Pay for a package and the dont deliver!! NOW NO LOCAL CW CHANNEL 11 NEW YORK....[Edited: "Language"]

(edited)

Gold Problem Solver

• 

5.9K Messages

2 years ago

If you were close enough to use an amplified antenna you would not have to deal with this problem.

I receive over 50 local channels over the air.

Contributor

• 

38 Messages

2 years ago

They removed CBS owned WPSG CW 57 from my central NJ system back in February probably dictated by Nexstar giving them more leeway over Comcast at this moment. I had an antenna, but it was rarely able to pick up WPIX and had a lot of trouble picking up WPSG I’m gonna try a different one now.

(edited)

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

Yet they are raising the local broadcast channel fee from $5 to $8 this month. This fee supposedly includes the CW. Don’t even get me started on not having MSG and not being able to watch the Devils. 

Contributor

• 

38 Messages

2 years ago

Most of the streaming service just don’t have WPIX either or I would’ve signed up with fubo or DIRECTV stream, until this was resolved what and got both WPIX and MSG back  but they don’t have WPIX either.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

I’m annoyed. Just went to watch a bunch of CW shows I taped and got that message. We pay way too much for Comcast - since there’s no other game in town - and this is one of the few channels I actually watch.  Hopefully this gets rectified soon. 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I've resisted cutting the cord for a few years now, but losing WPIX--and its nightly Seinfeld reruns--is probably the last straw.  Hopefully negotiations bear fruit VERY soon so I don't have to move on.

Contributor

• 

54 Messages

@user_a04d5a​ I agree, it’s such a bummer! Seinfeld is like my lullaby :(

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

how much will our bill decrease because of the loss of this service? why is it that i have to lock into a contract that i can not  decrease but they can change anytime they want. my last time with xfinity.

Official Employee

• 

2.7K Messages

I truly understand the frustration, part of the agreements and disclosures when you sign up for our services is that we reserve the right to change the Services, rates, and charges at any time, with or without notice to you, to the extent permitted by applicable law. For example, we may delete or change content, programming, functionality, features, rate limitations, available speeds, or Xfinity Equipment. This is a disclosure due to the nature of programming agreements with networks as we do need to renegotiate when those agreements expire and sometimes will have to no longer carry a network. 

You can click this link to review the full service agreement: https://www.xfinity.com/Corporate/Customers/Policies/SubscriberAgreement.

With that being said we are always more than happy to assist our valued customers with an account review to see if we have any options to help lower your bill. If you'd like to review new offers please send us a DM to XfinitySupport with your full name and address to get started.

To send a direct message:
Click "Sign In" if necessary
Click the "Direct Message" icon or  https://forums.xfinity.com/direct-messaging
Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Xfinity Support" there.
As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list.
An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line.
Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
Press Enter to send it

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

You certainly don't get it.  I hope they teach you good customer service sometime soon and you can start with chapter one: EMPATHY

Gold Problem Solver

• 

7.9K Messages

2 years ago

If they did make a deal to continue carry it, your bill will certainly be going UP, by alot. Stations are getting VERY aggressive about hikes, and some are also forcing carriage of other channels to continue main channels. Disney is one of the worst offenders, forcing ESPN and similar on the lowest plans before they will allow ABC stations to be carried. ESPN's fees are probably $10+ or more by now.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

We also lost  Antenna TV on 252 and Court TV on 250. And the new prices are crazy! Paying more for less!

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here