U

22 Messages

Monday, November 20th, 2023 8:06 PM

Closed Captions out of sync on ABC shows

For the past few weeks, I have noticed that the closed captions for ABC network shows are about 15 seconds to a minute behind the actual show. This makes them unusable. I see this, when looking at shows that were recorded for XFINITY stream. I also have seen at least one on-demand show for ABC that was similarly out of sync. This makes me think that something is wrong with the network feed to XFINITY. For what it’s worth I live in Sacramento. Has anybody else seen this?

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

6 months ago

Hi, @user_kh9bi4. Thank you for reaching out to the forums and creating a new post. I see you, like many others, rely on closed captioning to be in sync and performing as expected. I understand that recently you've seen some trouble with ABC. Generally, that information does come in from the network. Have you perhaps tried troubleshooting by turning it off and on? To confirm, this is only with ABC and no other network correct?  

22 Messages

Yes, just ABC. 

remember, this is happening on recordings in the cloud as well as on demand so it really doesn’t have anything to do with my local unit. I have turned it on and off many times

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

Could it be we need new TiVo cards?  Both of mine are about 8 years old.  Not that they are worn out, but the closed captioning codes may have changed somehow.  Maybe it’s worth a try.  How old is yours?

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

Sooooo I finally convinced Xfinity to send two new TiVo cards 10 days ago.  They promised I would receive them within two business days.  Of course, they never arrived.  I guess he just said that to get rid of me, knowing I would never be able to track him down.

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

6 months ago

It certainly is odd you see it on your cloud recording and via the stream app as well. If there was an issue with the system, we'd likely see it across all the networks. Regardless, it's clear there is a hiccup somewhere. I'm sure this hasn't been easy to deal with, and I can understand what a headache this may be. Is this happening on every title or does it happen at random? @user_kh9bi4

7 Messages

This is happening with our local abc affiliate KXTV channel 710 on my cable system. All the other local stations have the captions in sync.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

I have been having the same issue with all abc shows live or recorded for last few weeks

22 Messages

@Monkey19​ Are you using a cable card to access the shows?

Official Employee

• 

1.8K Messages

Hey there, Monkey19, thanks for reaching out through Xfinity Forums regarding your issues with ABC show. Have you tried any troubleshooting steps already such as restarting your box to see if that helps?

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

22 Messages

6 months ago

It happens on every primetime show on ABC. It does not happen on the ABC Evening News. It does happen on some shows broadcast nationally during the day like The View. It does not happen on locally produced shows. 

Official Employee

• 

2K Messages

Thank you for this information @user_kh9bi4. This may be a programming failure from the network to provide Close Captioning. Not all programming is required to display Closed Captioning under the FCC rules therefore it may not work properly on every channel on every show. That being said as someone who has hearing loss I know how important Close Captioning is to individuals. Have you tried to disable and then enable Close Captioning on your box? I have found this to help small issues I have run into myself from time to time. https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-closed-captioning is a link that will assist with turning closed captioning on and off on X1 boxes. I have a shortcut on my Voice Remote and you can see how to do this with the link: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/program-accessibility-shortcut-x1-remote 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

22 Messages

Your reply does not appear to indicate that you are understanding what I am saying. This is not a matter of close caption being on or off. It is a matter of a large delay, rendering them unusable.    As I have indicated, previously turning them on and off, does nothing to solve the problem

Official Employee

• 

370 Messages

@user_kh9bi4 We do, and again we don't impact the content or its captions. That will come from the networks, and they're in charge of how it all syncs up. The details you posted, point to that single network, as the delay is not present on all channels or happening to the box in general. You can try to go beyond simple restarts, and choose a System Refresh to ensure the device settings and content are updated, with the steps here https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-reboot-my-set-top-box. If the system sees more issues, it will help suggest a tech visit or further troubleshooting :). 

7 Messages

@user_kh9bi4​ I have the exact same problem with the Sacramento California Area ABC affiliate. Turning the cations on and off doesn't help.

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

3 months ago

Yes, I’ve noticed it for the past few months.  Only on ABC, but also XFINITY.  I’m in the foothills outside of Sacramento.  Now I’m trying to watch the Oscars.  Why can’t this be fixed?  Somebody doesn’t care, that’s why.   Isn’t it an FCC requirement to provide closed captioning?   And they don’t mean 40 seconds later.  XFINITY, please research this and fix it!

7 Messages

Yes, please help us Xfinity.

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

3 months ago

Yes, I’ve noticed it for the past few months.  Only on ABC, but also XFINITY.  I’m in the foothills outside of Sacramento.  Now I’m trying to watch the Oscars.  Why can’t this be fixed?  Somebody doesn’t care, that’s why.   Isn’t it an FCC requirement to provide closed captioning?   And they don’t mean 40 seconds later.  XFINITY, please research this and fix it!

22 Messages

@CaliLady​ May I ask what way you are viewing your shows? I use a Tivo with a cable card and I noticed someone else who is having this problem in this thread is having the same issue. I wondered if you also were using a Tivo and/or a cable card?

Thanks,

Rob

7 Messages

I use Tivo and Cable card and I have the exact same problem.

22 Messages

@CaliLady​ Are you by any chance using a Tivo to view your shows? I and at least one other user on this thread are doing that and I wonder if that is more than a coincidence.

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

@user_kh9bi4​  Yes, on the two TVs with the problem, I have TiVo and am using a cable cards.  However, I also watch Xfinity on two iPads, and they have the same captioning delay.  On our other Xfinity TVs, there are DVRs, and there is no problem.

22 Messages

Okay, that is a big clue. Those of us who are using cable cards have the problem both on the cable card devices and from when we use the Xfinity Streaming app. But you say you don't have it when you use an Xfinity DVR. That explains why no one has really been complaining in general. Only the cable card users have this problem! So there must be a different way they get the source. I'll report this back to Xfinity's team and maybe that will give them a big hint as to where to look. Perhaps the cable card users are getting the signal in a different way.

22 Messages

3 months ago

Yes, it's still happening. Not every show but often. I also see it on some episodes of Inside Edition, which is broadcast on the local ABC channel, but I don't believe it comes from the ABC network. It's syndicated. So not sure if the problem is ABC local or ABC national. I guess if it was national there would more outcry.

Official Employee

• 

985 Messages

user_kh9bi4 We can take a closer look into this ongoing concern, and have a ticket entered to ensure our programing team is aware of the issue. Please send us a direct message. 

To send a "Direct Message" message:
• Click "Sign In" if necessary
• Click the "Direct Message" icon
• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line
• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
• Press Enter to send it

8 Messages

This is totally annoying, none of the other channels have delayed captions as does ABC.

They are unusable.

Have you even tried so see for yourself what we are telling you?  Do you care?

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

@Dolphfrank thanks for your feedback. We sure do care which is why we want to take a look deeper into everyone's account who is having this problem. Typically, we do ask for you to start your own public post then we will ask you to send us a direct message as that is part of our community guidelines. Since we are connected you can move forward with sending us your details in a direct message per the steps laid out above.  

22 Messages

@XfinityMartyR​ I have just done as you suggested and logged a DM. [Edited: "Solicitation"]

(edited)

22 Messages

@Dolphfrank​ Are you by any chance using a cable card to view and record your shows? At least 2 of us on this thread are configured that way.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

3 months ago

03/19/24. I have the same  problem with delayed captions on ABC using Xfinity.  The captions are almost a full minute behind the audio.  ABC is not a channel I view often, but I noticed it when the new seasons of Will Trent, The Rookie, and 9-1-1 began a month ago.  I use an Xfinity cable card for TiVo, and I have repeatedly tried turning the captions off and on and restarting the dvr to refresh. I rely on captions because of hearing loss and cannot make sense of the shows without them.  It is frustrating and annoying that neither ABC nor Xfinity can address this issue.

7 Messages

3 months ago

I noticed that The Good Doctor has this caption problem, but the captions are right time when I view it on Hulu. Maybe we should just ditch Xfinity and just use Hulu and maybe switch to Frontier for internet.

Official Employee

• 

985 Messages

@user_y04pts Good morning! Thank you for reaching out to our Community Forums Team for assistance with your Closed Caption. It can be frustrating when your services are working as designed. I'm happy to assist you in getting it working properly. Aside from turning your closed caption on and off, are there any other troubleshooting steps you have tried before we begin? 

22 Messages

3 months ago

All,

I reached someone at Xfinity through the DM option. They say they are forwarding my case to the "Advanced Team" and I'm supposed to get notified within 72 hours.

They also said it would be helpful if others would log a ticket with them as that would help escalate the issue. [Edited: "Solicitation"]

Also, I got in touch with the chief engineer at the local ABC station (KXTV). He said there is nothing wrong with the feed that is coming to him from the network. So this kind of isolates the issue more to Xfinity than ABC per se.

Thanks,

Rob

(edited)

22 Messages

2 months ago

All,

I had a callback today from a member of some nationally-based technical team located in Atlanta. Together we verified that ALL of my shows that are being recorded in the CLOUD are badly off-synch. So Xfinity can look at my account and directly see examples of the problem.  The problem is not local to my recording devices, which happen to be Tivos. He is escalating the ticket to the engineers.

Having said that, I am still curious as to whether all of you, like me, are using a cable card. That may be a very important clue to pass on to the engineers if that is true.

Rob

8 Messages

Yes I am using a smart card.  But none of the other channels show that problem.

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

@user_kh9bi4​ Yes, I am using a TiVo cable card on both TVs with the problem, but I also have the problem through Xfinity Stream on two iPads.  I am in Sacramento area.  It only happens on ABC.

7 Messages

@user_kh9bi4​ Yes, I have a cable card in my Tivo.

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

@user_kh9bi4

I just found this thread this morning and have been frustrated - as you are - with the closed caption delay issue.  I too am using a TiVo DVR with a cable card connected to Xfinity.  I can confirm that I have seen this issue only with the local ABC channel (KXTV).  I have three TiVo DVR's in my house - two connected via cable cards to Xfinity and one an off-air TiVo.  While watching programming live on the cable DVRs I can see the CC delay, but on the off-air DVR the CC sync is fine.  That would support the KXTV engineer's statement that the CC data coming FROM the network is fine.

However, there must be a feed from KXTV to Xfinity that carries the national programming and the local programming to Xfinity.  So my guess is that there's a piece of equipment in the KXTV facility that feeds Xfinity that has a problem with CC data.  Given the comments in this thread about prime time programs showing this issue and local programs not showing this issue, it may well be where the national and local programming merge to go to Xfinity where the issue is.

While watching Will Trent this week (from a recording on my cable-connected DVR) I saw that the CC was terribly delayed for the first 5 minutes.  Then, at a specific scene the CC data snapped into sync and the caption font changed at the same time.  I replayed this section of the recording and it was always at this scene when the CC data snapped into place.

@user_kh9bi4 since you have had communications with the chief engineer at KXTV, please pass along this information to him/her.  I will try contacting them as well.

22 Messages

2 months ago

OK it’s becoming a little clearer isn’t it? As I noted above, it appears that this problem is mainly if not totally happening with TIVO cable card users. It is not happening with Xfinity DVR users. And it happens in the Cloud for those Tivo users as well, when they use the Xfinity streaming app on various devices (Apple Tv, iPad etc). Somehow the source must be different for this group of users. That explains the problem hadn’t been noticed until now - there aren’t many of us. 

I will try to pass this information onto the engineers who are looking into my case. I was supposed to hear back from them later this week.

Rob

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

@user_kh9bi4​   Thank you for the updates.  I also use the Xfinity cable card with TiVo and have the same issues.  I reported it here to Xfinity Support, but I haven’t received a response.  I know that TiVo support is low on Xfinity’s priority list, and TiVo has made few efforts to keep up connections with other providers.  We lost On Demand several years ago, and since then…I love my TiVo, but it may be time to part ways.

8 Messages

If tivo was the problem, then this will happen for *ALL* channels,  not only ABC.

7 Messages

@user_kh9bi4​ I am just going to Hulu for those prime-time shows, the captions work just fine on Hulu. No wonder so many people in my area are leaving Xfinity and going to Frontier and Youtube TV.

22 Messages

@Dolphfrank​ I am not saying that Tivo is the problem. After all, the people with Tivo's are seeing the same issue when they use the Xfinity Streaming app too (at least, I and one other person has noted that on this thread). If it was the Tivos per se, the problem would not also appear on recordings from Xfinity's cloud. What I am guessing at here is that cable card users are receiving their signal differently than Xfinity DVR customers. Since I know that the ABC signal is sent to Xfinity 2 different ways, one by fiber and one OTA, I'm guessing that maybe one of those ways ends up being the only way that Tivo's receive their programming (I'm guessing it's the OTA method) and THAT source is flawed in some way when it comes to how ABC is carried.

Official Employee

• 

2K Messages

@jfahlman I am sorry to hear about your TiVo issues. I want to be sure we can get everything figured out for you with your service. Please send me a Direct Message with your name and service address so that I can fully dive into this for you! I will leave you instructions on how to initiate the message with us! I look forward to working with you soon!

- Click "Sign In" if necessary
- Click the "Direct Message" icon (upper right corner of this page)
- Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
- Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list
- Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
- Press Enter to send your message

Contributor

• 

66 Messages

2 months ago

Same issue here, Sacramento area and mostly on 710. No cable card, I have a 4K box. I'll be watching a show like Jeopardy or Wheel of Fortune, and the captioning from the show continues into the commercial, rendering it basically useless. I was having the issue on the Walking Dead shows when I watched on AMC+ before the broadcast on regular AMC (you get the show early on +). In this case big chunks of dialogue were missing, random letters, and the same line of dialogue repeated multiple times. If I watched the regular AMC broadcast it was fine

1 Message

2 months ago

I have experienced the same thing. I live in Folsom. Captions lagging about a minute or longer to the point that they are of no use. 

Official Employee

• 

297 Messages

Hey there @user_vmg6vh. What specific shows/networks are you noticing the out of sync closed captions on? It is ABC or other channels as well?

8 Messages

2 months ago

First post was 5 months ago, then more people started seeing this problem 1 month ago, and what is Xfinity doing... How long do we need to wait to have this resolved?  It is frustating.

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

@Dolphfrank​ I agree that this is frustrating.  I was so frustrated the other day that I did something *relatively* drastic -  I opened up an Accessibility Complaint with the FCC.  I gave them the jist of the issue, but also provided the link to this forum thread so they can read other customer's comments and issues.  Today I got emails from the FCC saying that the FCC has reviewed my complaint and forwarded it to both Comcast and KXTV.  Both parties have 30 days to respond to the complaint - to both the FCC and me.  Maybe this will get some action towards a resolution.

When I was working I worked for several companies in the video space and spent more than my fare share of time in video headends around the country.  This problem could be at KXTV, Comcast, or possibly even with TiVo (one of the companies I actually worked for).  It will take some careful examination and testing to determine where the problem is.  All it takes is some "misbehaving" piece of equipment in the ABC signal path to account for the problem we are all seeing.  Up until now, all the parties involved seem to be pointing at someone else.  But maybe now that the FCC is involved we'll get motion towards a solution.  After all, Closed Captioning is a legal REQUIREMENT that falls under the category of Accessibility.  For it not to work is unacceptable.

22 Messages

2 months ago

As of this past Monday (4/15) there has been some improvement. The delay is down to 10 seconds instead of 5 minutes, on both my Tivo and the Xfinity Stream app on my Apple TV. It's still not up to the standards of the other networks. For example, when you watch a musical performance on Fox, the sung lyrics are viewable immediately onscreen. This is not yet happening on shows on ABC. Even the Evening News with David Muir lags behind 10 seconds when someone is speaking. This is not the case with NBC or CBS evening news shows.

So perhaps the engineers have done something. Today I got a call from Xfinity and they asked me to update my Apple TV app, the Xfinity Stream which runs on that platform....and substitute a new HDMI cable! I thought the last request was rather silly but in any case I did all this and we'll see what happens. I'm not holding my breath.

But it does seem they are working on it and there is progress.

How's it looking out there to the rest fo you? Do you see any improvement?

Rob

Official Employee

• 

552 Messages

@user_kh9bi4, thank you for using the Xfinity Forum page to reach out. We are glad to hear that you are seeing an improvement with the closed caption related issued you referenced. Please keep us in the loop as you continue to troubleshoot with your equipment and the provided suggestions.

22 Messages

Unfortunately the problem has reverted back to its original status...the long CC delay has returned. While last week's American Idol was almost okay, this week's broadcast went back to being 4 minutes delayed.

On a more optimistic note, my contact at Xfinity said that my ticket is being closed out and merged into a new ticket that is being handled at a higher level. Apparently now that the FCC is involved, a special unit within Xfinity that deals with the government has taken up the issue. So while I personally will no longer be getting updates, i take hope from the fact that this is due to increased attention on a national level. I thank you @Dolphfrank for getting this expedited because I assume it was your complaint that got this escalated. 

Rob

Official Employee

• 

552 Messages

@user_kh9bi4, the sooner this issue is resolved the better for everyone! I have not personally experienced this concern using my own or any family members equipment, however I do know that sometimes issues can arise that impact different customers differently. I hope we are able to get this issue taken care of for you soon to enjoy your captions. Definitely keep us updated if any additional information is presented to you on this topic.

8 Messages

Last week (04/16) Conners and Not Dead Yet, were just a few seconds delayed.  So it was an improvement.

I just checked this week's (04/23), and the captions look right on time.  I say checked because I taped them and I will watch them in the next days, but the first 30 seconds were perfect, I would imagine that they will be in sync all the way through.

@user_kh9bi4 - I cannot take the credit for the escalation, it was actually @rgm2448 which I think really shook things up with the 'Accessibility Complaint with the FCC'.  

I wait for the new batch of Good Doctor/Rookie/Will Trent/911/Station 19/Greys Anatomy of episodes next week, before claiming victory. 

Official Employee

• 

981 Messages

Thank you for your detailed feedback, @Dolphfrank! We appreciate you keeping us (and the community) up-to-date on what you're seeing, and I remain hopeful that things are looking better!

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here