User_8bs01h's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

10 Messages

Wednesday, February 14th, 2024 6:02 PM

Closed

BBC World Service reception

I'm hoping for an answer from someone who knows the technical ins-and-outs of the Comcast transmitters. I have a Comcast technician coming out in an hour or so to look for a leak in my service, but I think my  specific problem will be outside his area.

This month I've had intermittent interruptions to my BBC World News Service reception. The screen freezes, and usually goes blank. After a couple minutes, I'll get a message indicating that the box can't connect and recommending I check all the cabling. (Everything's tight.) Sometimes I can bring the service back by unplugging the box for a couple minutes. Usually I just wait until the service eventually comes back. At least twice, when the picture returned, the box had switched to the station I had been watching previously (????!).

I have the Arris ultra high def box (G1v4) and am really hoping it isn't the problem since it was very hard for me to get. I also have a signal booster.

Background: the BBC World Service (at channel 387 on my service) has always been an outlier. With the previous legacy box, it occasionally had a pixelated signal while the other stations were clear. With the new boxes and their can't-be-disabled sleep mode, the message about going into sleep mode comes on promptly if I'm watching the BBC news. However, I can watch, say, an entire afternoon's worth of Star Trek on BBC America without that message appearing.

Are there differences in the way certain feeds are processed? (The analogy I'm imagining would be a bundle of wires in which the position of some would subject them to more squeezing.) I see other comments in the forum about reception and specific stations (e.g., ABC). That suggests to me that the problem isn't with the cabling or the TV boxes, since all stations should be equally affected, but with the transmitter.  Are some stations transmitted with a weaker signal?

Accepted Solution

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

7 months ago

Hey @User_8bs01h, thanks for working with us in direct messages! I'm glad the tech was able to get it fixed by replacing the line. I hope you have an awesome rest of your week!

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

7 months ago

Hello @User_8bs01h, thank you for taking the time to reach out on social media.  I understand your concern with the connection, and I'd like the opportunity to check into that for you.

To access your account, will you please send us a direct message with your full name and complete service address to “Xfinity Support”. To do so, click on the chat icon located at the top right of this forums page.

Here's the detailed steps to direct message us:

• Click "Sign In" if necessary
  • Click the "Direct Message” icon (upper right corner of this page)
  • Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
  • Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list
  • Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
  • Press Enter to send your message
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here