P

Friday, July 19th, 2024 11:04 PM

xfinity mobile: blatantly lied to by chat agent and Xfinity is ok with it!

tldr; Online chat agent outright lied about a promotion, tricked me into getting xfinity mobile, and stuck me with a higher bill. Other online chat reps agree it was entirely wrong, but Xfinity refuses to fix it.

Long-ish story, but there are some lessons in here for everyone.

Last month I started a chat with an online rep with a question about lowering my bill by canceling our landline (we have/had internet, tv, landline). While I was online they offered me a deal. I should have known better. Luckily I copied the transcript. Here are the highlights:

Xfinity: "I can help you keep the number active and save around $25 transferring the home phone line to Xfinity's mobile line. The best part is we are offering a FREE Phone to all of our customers, so instead of the landline you will have FREE phone to use the landline number and also you will get additional $20 discount on your internet bill every month so a total of $45 discount for you + Free phone to use your landline number, sounds good ? there will be no changes in your current cellphone services and you will just have a free phone instead of landline to get $45 discount every month. I see that your bill is $265.58 now and with this offer, it will be $220.58/month only inclusive of all taxes and fees."

Me [paraphrased]: "This sounds like a trap..." [spoiler: it was]

Xfinity: "this is an promotional offer which running now and comes through swapping landline number with free Xfinity mobile line and also you will get FREE mobile phone as I have mentioned you above, you will be not charging for line because the charges will be covered under discounts so, it is completely free for you and this offer will not expire as you can renewal this offer if you are  making any changes in your internet plan. The $45 discount will be remains same. Also, There would be no point time to return the phone and if you want, you can return the phone if you do not wish to keep but the only thing $45 discounts will be stopped and you will not be charged anything by keeping the phone or returning it later."

Me [paraphrased]: "So no obligation, no contract, no extra bill, no charge if I don't like it?"

Xfinity: "Yes pilot5309, you are correct. there would be no fixed contract term, our team will notify you to reach us and they will renewal it again after certain time.  and no charges for cancelling the phone plan"

Stupid me [paraphrased]: "OK… go ahead"

FAST FORWARD FOUR WEEKS... Bill arrives; it's $9 higher than promised but ok. But then a separate $49 Xfinity Mobile bill appears too! And let me be clear here: at no point was I given a contract to look over or sign, or given any terms/conditions. If I did agree to something, it was clearly not with any consent, and the chat agent absolutely explained nothing. And I was certainly not told this would be a separate account/bill. (Again: I was at least smart enough to copy the entire transcript before closing the chat.)

So last week, back onto the chat I go, for THREE HOURS... Was bounced around between the Bundle Team, the Internet Team, and Mobile Team, all of whom said this was someone else's problem. In short, those three hours of my life boiled down to Xfinity claiming that it's (allegedly) impossible to cancel the mobile plan without paying outright for the "free" phone. After much pleading on my part, eventually someone on the Internet Team says:

Xfinity: "I have checked the notations and conversation so I have got the approval and will be raising a bill dispute ticket with which our backend team will take the appropriate action against that agent and you will get the promised deal applied on your account within next 5-7 days with resolution of this bill dispute ticket. You won't have to make the payment of current generated bill for internet as you will get all adjustment for disputed charges reflected in your next bill"

Me: [paraphrased] "yay..." [spoiler: not yay]

And now today: I log in to my account, and indeed they fixed this month's bill, but added the note: “We've determined that the charge you disputed was correctly applied to your account. The disputed amount of 294.35 will appear on your next billing statement.” and applied all of the credited charges to next month’s bill!

So here I am, lost for words. A chat agent was able to outright lie about a promotion, sell me a very different deal that raised my overall bill, and Xfinity are like: “Yup, that looks above board to us!

I will, of course, pursue this with my State’s consumer protection advocates to get this fixed, but I figured it couldn’t help to throw out at least a warning to people to absolutely NOT EVER trust their chat agents. They are allowed to lie, and Xfinity will back them.

Always, always, always, take screenshots of the chats. Don’t just download the transcript – they are usually partial or incomplete. Take. Actual. Screenshots! (Which I did – phew!)

What a wonderful company… 

Accepted Solution

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

2 months ago

Hello, pilot5309. Thank you for taking the time to reach out and being part of the Xfinity family. That's definitely not the experience we want you to have. I'd also be frustrated if I were in your situation. That's as unacceptable to us as it is to you.  You've definitely come to the right place to get this taken care of. In order to get started can you, please send us a direct chat message with your full name and complete service address to “Xfinity Support”. To do so, click on the chat icon located at the top right of this forums page.

--

• Click "Sign In" if necessary
  • Click the "direct messaging" icon or https://comca.st/3lv0gXz
  • Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
  • Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line
  • Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
  • Press Enter to send it

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

THE XFINITY REP I SPENT 4 HOURS ONLINE WITH DID THE SAME THING TO ME!

I told them multiple times “no, I already have mobile, all I need is internet”

45 minutes later

”sir I have found you the best promotion to give for blah blah blah speeds and with mobile all you pay is $45/month”

”I assure you sir you will only pay that amount.”

This needs to be fixed! It’s a freaking scam and I’m beyond [Edit: Language]

(edited)

2 Messages

1 month ago

Update: this did get resolved after someone higher up the food chain was involved. They also agreed that the chat agent absolutely should not have said what they said, and I was given completely false information. So I requested the entire mobile account be removed, all charges reversed, phone returned, etc, and that is indeed what happened. So the outcome was acceptable, but the literal hours of fighting it took to fix because a chat agent lied to me, was not a great experience. 

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

This [Edit: Language] just happened to me. I didn’t want mobile, I said that several times, then got this whole “it will only be this $/month for internet with the discount, etc etc”

Their ESL offshore reps 1) don’t communicate [Edit: Language], 2) give you the runaround, and 3) continually keep “assuring you that you will only pay”. I’m furious.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

Thanks for reaching out, @rooncicle. I'm sorry to hear about your experience with our Xfinity Chat team. Was a Xfinity Mobile account created without your consent? 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

@XfinityMartyR​ 

YES! I told the rep I didn’t want mobile

multiple times and all I need was internet. Then got told “I got you this deal and it’s $45/ month with autopay, paperless billing discounts, etc etc” then I was told after I kept asking questions “I assure you sir that you will only pay $45/month for the promotional 24 month period etc.”

it was so dishonest and the rep continued to ignore multiple times that all I wanted was internet. I explicitly stated I didn’t want mobile and they proceeded to make it sound like I would get this promotional deal, just sign on the dotted line. The offshore reps 1) take FOREVER to “look into it” and 2) are extremely unclear in how they communicate.

i want this stuff reversed and I want to return the unopened tablet that I didn’t need for mobile that I didn’t need. Not to mention selling someone on a “promotion” where they sneak in mobile using an iPad and not a phone is so extremely dishonest. If it was a phone as part of the deal, then obviously someone saying they don’t need mobile would immediately understand how this scammy upsell would work.

Theres definitely something not legal or at least dubious going on here.

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

rooncicle Please send us a direct message, so we can escalate this to our Xfinity Mobile Team for you. 

To send a "Direct Message" message:
• Click "Sign In" if necessary
• Click the "Direct Message" icon
• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line
• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
• Press Enter to send it

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

@XfinityMartyR​ 

I sent a dm, please look.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here