user_0ih2332's profile

Problem Solver

• 

846 Messages

Wednesday, October 9th, 2019 2:00 AM

Closed

free speed upgrade?

I live in the Boston area. Did we get a free speed upgrade with last nights updates? I'm in the signature tier and should get 400Mbps download and 12Mbps upload (hardwired), in reality the Ookla speedtest module says I get 481Mbps. Then last night the internet went down for the nightly update and so I tested the speed when the system came back up and now I'm getting 612Mbps download and 20Mbps upload. Since I don't think there is a 600Mbps tier I think I am getting the Gigabyte tier except that I have an old 3941T modem so I top out at 600Mbps.

So is it just me? The whole area? or the whole country that got a free speed upgrade? My Comcast LG X Charge cellphone still tops out at 110Mbps download speed on the 5Mhz connection but the upload speed has increased from 12Mbps to 20Mbps. 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Accepted Solution

Gold Problem Solver

• 

2K Messages

5 years ago

All sorts of things can affect speed tests. Maybe the network was just faster when you did the second test. Maybe your second computer is better optimized. Maybe the stars were in perfect conjunction.
As for the second question, the XB3 series gateways (of which the DPC3941T is one model) is capped at 700 Mbps, but can theoretically hit 900. See chart at bottom:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Internet/Comcast-Provided-Equipment-Wireless-Gateway-Device-Feature/ta-p/3030672

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

5 years ago

FWIW, if you were now on the gigabit tier, the upload speed would be 35 to 40, not 20.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

2K Messages

5 years ago

@WindsurfMaui wrote:

Did we get a free speed upgrade with last nights updates? I'm in the signature tier and should get 400Mbps download and 12Mbps upload (hardwired), in reality the Ookla speedtest module says I get 481Mbps. Then last night the internet went down for the nightly update and so I tested the speed when the system came back up and now I'm getting 612Mbps download and 20Mbps upload. Since I don't think there is a 600Mbps tier I think I am getting the Gigabyte tier except that I have an old 3941T modem so I top out at 600Mbps.

So is it just me? The whole area? or the whole country that got a free speed upgrade? My Comcast LG X Charge cellphone still tops out at 110Mbps download speed on the 5Mhz connection but the upload speed has increased from 12Mbps to 20Mbps. 

Yes, there's been an across the board speed upgrade for those not in the gigabit tier. 

If you had the 400/10 Extreme data plan before (which I suspect you did given your speedtest results) you would now have 500/15 + the typical Comcast overprovisioning, which would give you around 620/20.  The first speedtest you described seems to reflect that speed increase. 

As for the second speedtest on your phone, bear in mind that your LG X Charge doesn't support WiFI5 (802.1AC) but uses the older WiFI4 (802.11n), which might explain the speed bottlenecking on your phone. For most purposes 110 Mbps download speeds are adequate, though. 

Problem Solver

• 

846 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks for the info. Usually I have to do a hard reboot of the modem to get the upgrade so I am surprised it came through without the reboot. I will do a reboot later today anyway and retest.

I guess it is good that I'm not getting Gig speed since I would have to get the new XB6 modem  and then have a tech come in to balance the lines which is always a pain.

I do have one other technical question. I have kept the old 3941T modem because I want the ability of 4 hardwired connections and the new XB6 only has 2 hardwired ports. If I upgraded to the XB6 modem could I attach a multi-line switch on one connection port so I could have more than 2 hardwired connections and not lose any speed? Thanks

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

5 years ago

Yes. You can hang an ethernet switch off of the XB6 if you need more ports.

Problem Solver

• 

846 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks for that info. Let me ask one more question. I did a hard reboot of the modem and the  speed on the main computer and cellphones is the same as before the reboot.  However I have a second computer which is basically the same as the first computer, make and model, and is also hard wired to the modem However it is connected to the hardwire via a 5 port switch which also has my printer. When I run the same Ookla module speedtest I get a download speed of 715Mbps and upload of 20 but peaks at 30+. So my 2 questions are why does the computer connected via a switch get a faster speed and 2 is this 700+ speed real because I thought the 3941T modem is capped at 600Mbps. I'm happy at the faster speeds but confused. Thanks.

Problem Solver

• 

846 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks for the info. No computers are the same and ran tests multiple times against a variety of  servers and all the numbers came out approx the same. Again I don't really need this much speed I'm not a gamer or downloading movies but I was just curious.

Thanks for the spec's on the modem. Those wern't the specs given to me by the Comcast reps on the phone when I was considering which tier and which modem to use 6 months ago during my subscription renewal. I don't need Gig speed but it is nice to have the new free speed  upgrade so thank you Comcast.  :>) 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here