hjens's profile

Contributor

• 

31 Messages

Saturday, January 2nd, 2021 5:00 AM

Closed

Why is the "delayed Ethernet connection" string locked yet again?

And who is doing the locking?

Contributor

• 

256 Messages

3 years ago

CGM must be Technicolor, since it's the same beginning letters as my previous gateway.

The plot os thickening...

Contributor

• 

256 Messages

3 years ago

Thanks, dcfox.

A tech is scheduled to arrive at my place place tomorrow afternoon. It'll be interesting, to say the least.

Frequent Visitor

• 

13 Messages

3 years ago

Just recently received the XB6-T (CGM4140COM) from comcast two weeks ago as my old gateway was starting to fail.

This issue has been discussed here before and it is continuing. I am posting this thread again for exposure and hopefully to get this issue addressed and fixed. There was a sizeable thread going before, but sadly it has been locked and no longer active.

If it's useful information at all, I am using a Windows 10 64 bit desktop PC connected directly to the ethernet port on the gateway. After booting my PC the network will be unable to connect for roughing 15-25 seconds. It will then connect and work normally. I also want to note that this is happening regardless of complete shut down, sleep, restart, etc.

Since it'll be asked, yes, I meet all of the Xfinity Stream Portal Minimum System Requirements.

The firmware my gateway is running is CGM4140COM_4.4p5s6_PROD_sey

Contributor

• 

31 Messages

3 years ago

Blueaid, your delayed internet connection is a problem with the XB6-T. I run a Mac but had the same modem (black color) with the same gateway and experienced the same time lag in connecting. Following the advice of others on this forum, I went to my nearest Xfinity store and asked for an upgrade to the newer XB7-T modem (white color). At first they tried to give me another XB6, saying I couldn't get the newer modem unless I signed up for faster internet. But 700mbps is good enough for me,  and they gave me the XB7 when I insisted. It solved the problem. No more time lag.

Contributor

• 

83 Messages

3 years ago

Thanks, @hjens for starting this parallel thread. I don't know why the original thread keeps getting locked. It's good that we have a thread going so that we can stay in touch with one another about what is and is not working.

In particular, I hope that everyone who has upgraded to the XB7 will keep the rest of us informed as to whether the XB7 has solidly addressed this issue or if the problem returns. It appears that there may be two versions of the XB7 (Arris and Technicolor?), so keeping track of which one is being reported on is particularly important. It would be great if both versions of the XB7 solve this problem but some of the reporting so far indicates that this may not be the case.

For reference, my XB6 (CGM4140COM) is from Technicolor.

@g-hodgson: Hope that your tech visit tomorrow is successful in addressing your speed drop issue. Sounds as though you've taken a big hit on that.

--Steve

Contributor

• 

256 Messages

3 years ago

Thanks for joining again, Steve. I really appreciated your insight, knowledge, and voice of reason on the original thread.

Hopefully the tech who visits tomorrow will resolve my horrible speed problem. And I certainly hope this ethernet delay issue is finally resolved for ALL Comcast customers!

Contributor

• 

256 Messages

3 years ago

Just an update:

So far, so good with the Arris Xb7 with respect to the delayed ethernet connection issue. It continues to work and connect within 2-3 seconds after coming out of sleep mode.

As for my horrendous gateway speed issue: Tech came out yesterday and verified it was an area problem, as he had already been on a few other similar calls in my area. This was going on for over a week. He reported the problem to his boss, who said he was aware of the area issue. Nothing the tech could do while he was at my place.

Anyway, a couple hours later I received a voicemail from the tech indicating that they had done "some tweaking" on their end and that everything should be back to normal. I reset the gateway and bingo, back up to 1 Gbps!!! Some tweak...I was at 35 Mbps gateway download speed for a week before last night.

Just wanted to give a shout out to the tech who came out. He was incredibly knowledgeable, and I REALLY appreciated the fact that he took the time to reach out to me at night to let me know the issue was resolved.

Give credit where credit is due.

Contributor

• 

83 Messages

3 years ago

Thanks for the update. Glad that your speed issue has been resolved. Indeed, they do deserve kudos for following up with you.

I'm also happy to hear that the XB7 is still behaving well with respect to the internet connection problem-- that's promising.

Problem Solver

• 

982 Messages

3 years ago

Haven't heard anything in a while from Comcast

Problem Solver

• 

982 Messages

3 years ago

Hello Comcast Amira, anything new

Contributor

• 

30 Messages

3 years ago

I would like to know if the final solution to this problem is to upgrade to a new modem. I have several people I help with computer issues and some of them are having this issue. Would be nice to know if Comcast is actively working on this problem or if I have to tell them they need to try to upgrade their modem. It doesn't sound like upgrading is always a smooth and easy process.

Contributor

• 

31 Messages

3 years ago

Upgrading from the XB6 to XB7 certainly helped my connection problem and I know of no others whom it didn't help. Some users are apparently unaware of their model number, which is rather indistinct in the plastic back of the modem and not the bottom plate containing serial numbers. Another hint: XB6 modems are black, XB7s are white.

Frequent Visitor

• 

13 Messages

3 years ago

I received a pm from ComcastTambrey Tue., Jan. 5th asking " In the time that you've spent troubleshooting, have you had the chance to check if you are able to have other devices connected to your internet connection while you are experiencing the disconnect on your PC?"

I tested it and I am able to acces the internet with other devices while the delay is happenning.

I replied that info back the next day but I haven't heard back yet.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

This is a continuation of the following post because I am unable to reply to that post and I am unable to message ComcastAmira.

Link:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Delayed-Ethernet-Connection/td-p/3394865

I'm having the exact same issue as everyone posting in there. 30 seconds(ish) connection time after boot-up, tried every trick in the book (Static IP,  setting Speed and Duplex, update BIOS/Drivers, etc), XB6 Modem (CGM4140COM). Both ports are being used and both computers are experiencing the same delay of connection.

Edit: WIFI connects like it should and this all started around 3-4 weeks ago

Contributor

• 

31 Messages

3 years ago

Go to your local Comcast store and pick up the newest XB7-T modem or order one from Comcast online. Your connection problem will be cured, you will have a month to return your old XB6-T and it won't cost you anything.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here