Community Forum

Unusually high data usage megathread

Official Employee

Re: Internet Data Use

@Rturner22131 wrote:
Its wrong that in November I used 1017 gb when I was in the Hospital the first week of November having major surgery. So if I’m in the hospital for part if the month how did I use 1017gb? My cat doesn’t know how to get on the internet

Sorry to hear that you were in the hospital. Hope you are doing better. 

Cats are pretty smart though.  There is a ticket opened on your account for this issue with the right teams based on your call to us last night. That team will review and contact you. 

Our teams see more than a few instances where applications like online drives (iCloud is just one example) syncing constantly and/or "getting stuck" can cause significant data usage.

For all - the link below has some general information on how to avoid overage charges and tips to conserve data usage:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/data-usage-avoid-overage-charges

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

@Rturner22131 wrote:
I agree.... I’m already showing 100gb since the first. There is something wrong and Comcast doesn’t care. They tell us all the same thing yet do nothing! Maybe time fir the BBB and an attorney

Apologies. Your account was credited this morning  (within 13 hours of your post) and someone is reviewing your account and will follow up with you directly . Thanks for your continued patience.  

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

Re: Internet usage

@CClexx wrote:
Add me to this unfortunate list. Woke up this morning (the 3rd) to a notice that I used ALL my data.
Yeah, no. I have worked 22 of the last 48 hours and this does not include drive time or sleep.
There is absolutely no possible way I have used all my data when in fact you look at the last three months work where I never break 500.
This is BS. No one at Comcast would give us a straight answer. “Change your password”, “use the xFi app (that costs more money)”..... just the same runaround. No guys, tell me why the heck this is happening! Fix my account and give everyone here a reason for your lies!!!!

Yikes. That is a lot of data in a very short period of time.

Apologies for the issue and the experience that you described above. As mentioned earlier in this thread, there was a known issue that impacted a very small percentage of our customers in the Fall. The referenced Fall 2019 issue impacted about 2,000 customers. To put that in perspective, that's about .008% of our high speed data customers. While unfortunate and certainly not intended, we identified that issue, addressed it and worked to make that right with the customers that were affected.

In the interest of the customer experience, I have applied a credit to your account while our team researches your account further. The credit will appear on your next printed statement and you can view the credit online via My Account.

Also, there is no additional charge to download or use the Xfi App or online: 
https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-xfi-overview

Thanks for your patience.

For all - the link below has some general information on how to avoid overage charges and tips to conserve data usage:

Frequent Visitor

The $10 credit had nothing to do with this issue.
Unfortunately we keep getting the same answer.
We may represent a small percentage of Comcast customers but we are customers nonetheless.
As an fyi... I have changed my password recently....xfi hotspot turned off.....gateway rebooted..... all devices turned off and not connected to the gateway overnight. One TV on during the day.... no computer....no gaming consoles online.,, yet massive amounts of data used.
Went to bed at 85gb.... all devices disconnected..., this morning.....100 gb used.
It would be more understandable if it was just 1-2 customers having this issue, but over 2000 shows it is not the customers it is Comcast and their data usage meters, either that or you have a serious data leak issue. Unfortunately, in some areas, Comcast is the only available provider, so that puts many if us relying on you all to provide good and accurate services allowing customers to use their internet in the normal manner they typically would without the fear if suddenly being close to or over the data cap. If Comcast cannot or will not fix the issue, then do away with the cap or raise the cap.
Official Employee

@Rturner22131 wrote:
The $10 credit had nothing to do with this issue.
Unfortunately we keep getting the same answer.
We may represent a small percentage of Comcast customers but we are customers nonetheless.
As an fyi... I have changed my password recently....xfi hotspot turned off.....gateway rebooted..... all devices turned off and not connected to the gateway overnight. One TV on during the day.... no computer....no gaming consoles online.,, yet massive amounts of data used.
Went to bed at 85gb.... all devices disconnected..., this morning.....100 gb used.
It would be more understandable if it was just 1-2 customers having this issue, but over 2000 shows it is not the customers it is Comcast and their data usage meters, either that or you have a serious data leak issue. Unfortunately, in some areas, Comcast is the only available provider, so that puts many if us relying on you all to provide good and accurate services allowing customers to use their internet in the normal manner they typically would without the fear if suddenly being close to or over the data cap. If Comcast cannot or will not fix the issue, then do away with the cap or raise the cap.

A larger credit was applied this morning. 

The earlier referenced issue with the data meter was resolved and corrected. It does not appear that your account was part of that original concern. 

Anyone having a data overage now doesn't appear to be part of the referenced Fall 2019 issue. Most often these are individual issues. 

As mentioned, our team will review and make contact with you.  Thanks for your patience while the team reviews your account. 

New Poster

In a five hour span, where I have been awake for just over two, I have received several emails.
4:58am 90% used. I was asleep.
6:58am 100% used. Still asleep.
9:58am 125% used. I am not gaming, I am not streaming. I am doing nothing besides trying to figure out how your team or your meter or what ever the heck it is is messing everything up so much!!!!!

Also I would like to point out EVERY time I click on the stupid XFi link, it wants me to “upgrade” my service.
Official Employee

@CClexx wrote:
In a five hour span, where I have been awake for just over two, I have received several emails.
4:58am 90% used. I was asleep.
6:58am 100% used. Still asleep.
9:58am 125% used. I am not gaming, I am not streaming. I am doing nothing besides trying to figure out how your team or your meter or what ever the heck it is is messing everything up so much!!!!!

Apologies, as mentioned earlier today in this thread, someone on our team is looking into your issue.  Thanks for your patience. 

Our teams see more than a few instances where applications like online drives (iCloud is just one example) syncing constantly and/or "getting stuck" can cause significant data usage.

Have you had the opportunity to review the link above?  

New Poster

Of course I have looked at your “tips”. They have been shoved in everyone’s face on this forum.

I want legit answers. Not this same nonsense you are spouting. I want to know how I jumped 35% in FIVE HOURS. There is no possible way for this to happen.
Official Employee

@CClexx wrote:
Of course I have looked at your “tips”. They have been shoved ineveryone’ss face on this forum.

I want legit answers. Not this same nonsense you are spouting. I want to know how I jumped 35% in FIVE HOURS. There is no possible way for this to happen.

Thanks for confirming. Much appreciated. Someone is reviewing your account and will be in contact with the primary account holder.  As mentioned,  a courtesy credit has already been issued based on your initial report to us less than three hours ago.  Thanks for your patience while the team reviews. 

Frequent Visitor

@ComcastTeds, thank you for your response.  I do see that a credit was applied (effective yesterday) for $50, though I would have preferred to have my "free" overage month restored, but thank you for that.

I think my biggest concern is really wanting to truly understand what exactly is / was driving this, especially since the largest data consumption reported was over a very short period of time (11/19 - about 350 gb) - and based on the notices I received, this seemed to happen overnight - so this doesn't seem very logical.

In digging into things a bit more, I would offer a suggestion to you, the Xfinity team, and to others here in the forum, that one possible cause - and has been reported elsewhere on the internet - is that Disney+ was reported to be driving high bandwidth usage.

I did order Disney+ the weekend prior to the large spike in data consumption, but only watched two issues of the Mandalorian.  That's it.    The only thing I can think of is that the Disney+ app on my AppleTV (which is only set to do 1080P video) - could be pulling in "streaming" data, even though I was not watching anything.

So while it does not seem logical, I would suggest to others to see if you ordered Disney+  and if so, would suggest that perhaps there is an issue with the App where it is pulling data even when video is not being actively "watched."

I really don't know if that is the cause or issue, but I did re-boot my AppleTV as part of my own attempts to diagnose the root cause here, and that did seem to drive a decrease in data consumption.   I just can't seem to wrap by brain around 350GB of streaming to one device in a 12-18 hour period.

I hope this may provide some additional insight to the team, and to other customers here.

Frequent Visitor

@ComcastTeds,

Thank you again for your assistance.  I did receive call back from one of your associates who was very understanding and helpful.  He told me that "the two free months for data overage are per calendar year"  and that the calendar will reset in January, so there was no need to issue back a credit for the November overage because I will have two free months again automatically starting in January, and said he would email me the verbage that confirms that the free 2 months are indeed on a calendar year basis.

He also acknowedged that 350 GB of data in an 18 hour period was highly abnormal, since even streaming 1080P content is approximately 1GB per hour.

He also told me that while there has not been an official recognition that a similar issue to what happened in the September timeframe, based on the number of calls he has been experiencing on this topic, he would not be surprised if there actually were a similar issue.

New Poster

Crazy high usage

This is only the 3rd day of December and I am through half of my monthly Terrabyte allocation at 516 GB.  I am doing nothing but light web surfing. My usage is usually only 450 GB per month.  Last year in November my usage went through 2 TB and again in December almost as high I was charged an additional $200 for each month!!!   Only my wife and I are in the house, no children. We watch a little Netflix - about 3 hours per month but thats it.

Comcast was not sympathetic and said they had no way to trace it so I had to pay. 

I am desperate for an answer - anybody out there who can help?

Frequent Visitor

I have come to the conclusion Comcast does not really care about the issues customers are experiencing. Of the multiple people I have spoken with today, only the person from Corporate that called me actually listened to understand not reply.
It is sad a company such as Comcast has gotten to the point where the customer no longer matter as long as Comcast is getting their money.
Being told the same thing via phone and forum despite explaining everything in detail, despite changing pw, resetting modem, turning off all devices at night so nothing is connected to the internet yet data is still being used is quite sad and very unprofessional and unethical.
New Poster

I was at 664 GB for Sept which was typical.  Missed the emails with the overage warnings as they went to my wife's dead account.  Got the browser warning on my laptop in the second alleged overage month.  No time to do anything about it but we cut back our usage anyway at end of Nov.  Ended October showing 1107 GB (almost double for us) and then November with 1131 GB.  Now in 3 days in December we are at 158 GB already which puts us on pace for 1632 GB.  No way we are using close to that.  Going to have to unplug the router and watch the meter during the week when no one is home.  Based on what I've read this is begging for a class action.  Of course only the attorneys will get paid and we'll each get a $5 credit after the global settlement, right?  When is 5G coming?

New Poster

Re: Data Usage Spike - No Way We Are Using That Much Data!

Exact same thing with me! Called customer service but they were clueless.

Contributor

Everyone, we are still experiencing issues even after being offered credit and removing late fee. The problem is effecting too many people to be a fluke. It's not a one time occurance. It is repetitive.

We also find it amusing that Comcast offers this page to help you NOT to go over your limit.

How Do I Avoid Overage Charges?

Scroll down and find the section about the data estimator.

If you take the time to use the Xfinity Data Estimator, you will discover something fascinating, just like we did.

Comcast asserts that our usage is based on devices running constantly in the background. Okay, that's not true, but let's go with that for this example. Using the Xfinity Data Estimator, if we let ALL devices run for 20 hours a day (giving us 4 hours to sleep), including streaming movie and music.... the total data calcuated by the Xfinity Data Estimator does not even come close to what Comcast has been billing us for.

In other words, either Comcast's  Xfinity Data Estimator is faulty. Or their equipment is faulty and they are overbilling customers, whether knowingly or unknowingly. Either way, it's bad business.

If you look on this thread, you will find someone posted that they are gathering names for a class action suit. I recommend that each of you reach out to the FCC and file a complaint,  copying the Attorney General of your state. Post  your experience on social media and ask familiy and friends to do the same, if they are affected.

Document. Document. Document. Keep a long of phone conversations, these forum threads and any email messages. Screen shot your own data  colletion, as well as the results of your Xfinity Data Estimator.

We appreciate the credit on our account., and Comcast's willing to correct the problem. But what about this month? And next month? And next year? Are we to understand that we will continue to receive a credit for any and all erroneous data charges that we did not incur?

Before this issue escalates beyond damage control, Comcast would best be served to address it publicly and correct the problem. Otherwise, they should simply offer unlimited data only and be done with it. Stop playing games with other people's money. Offer quality service at a competitive price and stand by your service and stop hiding in the shadows.

Thank you.

New Poster

Data Usage has doubled over the past month and a half

I had so many problems with xfinity's modem. I had 4 technichians come to my home and gave me answers like "Your neighbor might be making toast" "Xfinity does not guarantee WIFI" "My home was built solid" "The railing in my home might be causing the WIFI to lose connection" "Theres too much noise on the line. So I'll install a amplifier" "The amplifier should have never been used it made matters worse" "I'm at the end of the line and Internet will be slower" I could go on and on with all the excuses I've been given. After doing research on my own I decided to buy my own Modem (Xfinity approved) and Purchase WIFI boosters for my home. I have had no issues watching Netflix or using the WIFI since purchasing my own modem. However I canceled my Cable TV and My home phone and I recieve an alert that I've almost reached my 1024TB. I had no idea what that meant. I've had Xfinity for the past 12yrs and I've never had this message before. I was informed that I am using a lot more Data than in the previous months. WHY? Xfinity could not answer that. We have 2 people that live in my home. We do not do any gaming of any kind. We watch You Tube TV and Netflix and occasionally stream music. Nothing different than what we've done over the past years. I disconnected everything, changed WIFI passwords, Disabled everything that was connected to WIFI and still my Data was going up. The only thing I did different was I canceled cable and home phone. And I purchased my own modem. Xfinity is giving me the run around and telling me its not there problem and I need to call Motorella. The maker of the Modem that I purchased. But everything looks fine on their end. So why all the sudden am I having Data issues? I noticed today that an Xfinity worker was outside my home today. Why? IDK? I'm super frustrated!! I have spent countless hours on the phone with Customer care and I get no where. 

Silver Problem Solver

deleted

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Crazy high usage

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Unusually-high-data-usage-megathread/m-p/3265624#M30...

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

The Data estimator app shows I should be around 623gb not 1017.
Noone can yet explain how from midnight Dec 1 to 7am Dec 1st I used 47 gb of data while sleeping and everything was disconnected. Noone can explain how for November I used 1017 gb yet was in the hospital first part of the month.
Despite the one response I received, my cat is Not smart enough to log into devices to connect to the internet.
Comcast obviously is aware of these issues we are all experiencing yet prefers to copy and paste answers and treat each one of us as total idiots.
I must agree, it is time for the BBB, State Attorney General, FCC and class action lawsuits.
In my area, Comcast is a monopoly and is the only provider of high speed internet available as their competitors are not allowed to service people on my side of the street.
They would be better off doing away with data caps as obviously the equipment is faulty.
There are too many having the exact same issue and getting zero results.
Comcast was better 20+ yrs ago when they were Road Runner.
New Poster

Crazy High Data Usage

My internet usage has spiked to about 200GB per day in December. I am just under 600GB as of December 3, 2019 (only 3 days!). I have pulled the plug on my router and am using my Verizon cell phone as a hot spot until I can get answers. This happened to me last year in November and December costing me over $300 in overages. I do little more than surf and maybe 2 Netflix movies per month. No games and no kids in the house, just two retirees.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comcast support was terrible. ?When asked for a review of my service call I wrote:

Please use Americans for your support. The guy I spoke with had such a thick accent, talked in a low voice, and spoke too quickly to fully understand. Others I could hear in the background of the "security help center" were also obviously foreign. The representative showed no interest in solving my complex problem and could only send me useless "basic installation" emails. I have been installed for about 4 years and do not need installation info.

Official Employee

Re: Crazy high usage

@dshank33418 wrote:

This is only the 3rd day of December and I am through half of my monthly Terrabyte allocation at 516 GB.  I am doing nothing but light web surfing. My usage is usually only 450 GB per month.  Last year in November my usage went through 2 TB and again in December almost as high I was charged an additional $200 for each month!!!   Only my wife and I are in the house, no children. We watch a little Netflix - about 3 hours per month but thats it.

Comcast was not sympathetic and said they had no way to trace it so I had to pay. 

I am desperate for an answer - anybody out there who can help?

Agreed. That is a lot of data in a very short period of time.

Apologies for the issue and the experience that you described above. 

In the interest of the customer experience, I have applied a credit to your account while our team researches your account further. The credit will appear on your next printed statement and you can view the credit online via My Account.

Official Employee

@6855830 wrote:

I was at 664 GB for Sept which was typical.  Missed the emails with the overage warnings as they went to my wife's dead account.  Got the browser warning on my laptop in the second alleged overage month.  No time to do anything about it but we cut back our usage anyway at end of Nov.  Ended October showing 1107 GB (almost double for us) and then November with 1131 GB.  Now in 3 days in December we are at 158 GB already which puts us on pace for 1632 GB.  No way we are using close to that.  Going to have to unplug the router and watch the meter during the week when no one is home.  Based on what I've read this is begging for a class action.  Of course only the attorneys will get paid and we'll each get a $5 credit after the global settlement, right?  When is 5G coming?

Agreed. That is a lot of data in a very short period of time.

Official Employee

@mitchellg103 wrote:

Exact same thing with me! Called customer service but they were clueless.

Apologies for the issue and the experience that you described above.  Your data usage in November (your first month at this address) was 393 gb, well under the one TB data plan. Yor usage in December so far does seem higher than the November daily average.  

Official Employee

@midtenner wrote:

Everyone, we are still experiencing issues even after being offered credit and removing late fee. The problem is effecting too many people to be a fluke. It's not a one time occurance. It is repetitive.

We also find it amusing that Comcast offers this page to help you NOT to go over your limit.

How Do I Avoid Overage Charges?

Scroll down and find the section about the data estimator.

If you take the time to use the Xfinity Data Estimator, you will discover something fascinating, just like we did.

Comcast asserts that our usage is based on devices running constantly in the background. Okay, that's not true, but let's go with that for this example. Using the Xfinity Data Estimator, if we let ALL devices run for 20 hours a day (giving us 4 hours to sleep), including streaming movie and music.... the total data calcuated by the Xfinity Data Estimator does not even come close to what Comcast has been billing us for.

In other words, either Comcast's  Xfinity Data Estimator is faulty. Or their equipment is faulty and they are overbilling customers, whether knowingly or unknowingly. Either way, it's bad business.

If you look on this thread, you will find someone posted that they are gathering names for a class action suit. I recommend that each of you reach out to the FCC and file a complaint,  copying the Attorney General of your state. Post  your experience on social media and ask familiy and friends to do the same, if they are affected.

Document. Document. Document. Keep a long of phone conversations, these forum threads and any email messages. Screen shot your own data  colletion, as well as the results of your Xfinity Data Estimator.

We appreciate the credit on our account., and Comcast's willing to correct the problem. But what about this month? And next month? And next year? Are we to understand that we will continue to receive a credit for any and all erroneous data charges that we did not incur?

Before this issue escalates beyond damage control, Comcast would best be served to address it publicly and correct the problem. Otherwise, they should simply offer unlimited data only and be done with it. Stop playing games with other people's money. Offer quality service at a competitive price and stand by your service and stop hiding in the shadows.

Thank you.

I have provided all of these examples to the right teams who are reviewing and evaluating to see if there is a common condition or theme here.  Our teams continue to review.  If there is a larger issue, we will own it and address it appropriately as we have done in the past.

New Poster

Single man with 2 rescue dogs here.  I do not game just TV and web surf. 2 month user of xfinity here. Previously was with ATT and never even came close to using 1 terabyte of data. Switched because of terible service. Probably made a mistake.  First 2 months I went over 1 terabyte data and I didn't know it untill I just happened to answer a call on my phone from someone in NY. I went into the locale Comcast store and was told that to use that much data I would need 6 kids gaming 24/7 for a month.  Sales person told me her family with  multiple tv's and 2 kids gaming does'nt even come close to 1 terabyte of data in a month.  Then she tells me that I should screenshot my data usage and call their tech support and don't let them tell me to go see a store salesman. 4 days into Dec. , comcast tells me I have used 148GB. Looks like I'm gonna go over 1 terabyte in DEC.. FYI, I bought my own Netgear router but Comcast would not let me install so their tech came and installed. Probably gonna have to cancel Xfinity if I can't get a remidy. Thanks Mark in FL>

Official Employee

@gthassell wrote:

@ComcastTeds, thank you for your response.  I do see that a credit was applied (effective yesterday) for $50, though I would have preferred to have my "free" overage month restored, but thank you for that.

I think my biggest concern is really wanting to truly understand what exactly is / was driving this, especially since the largest data consumption reported was over a very short period of time (11/19 - about 350 gb) - and based on the notices I received, this seemed to happen overnight - so this doesn't seem very logical.

In digging into things a bit more, I would offer a suggestion to you, the Xfinity team, and to others here in the forum, that one possible cause - and has been reported elsewhere on the internet - is that Disney+ was reported to be driving high bandwidth usage.

I did order Disney+ the weekend prior to the large spike in data consumption, but only watched two issues of the Mandalorian.  That's it.    The only thing I can think of is that the Disney+ app on my AppleTV (which is only set to do 1080P video) - could be pulling in "streaming" data, even though I was not watching anything.

So while it does not seem logical, I would suggest to others to see if you ordered Disney+  and if so, would suggest that perhaps there is an issue with the App where it is pulling data even when video is not being actively "watched."

I really don't know if that is the cause or issue, but I did re-boot my AppleTV as part of my own attempts to diagnose the root cause here, and that did seem to drive a decrease in data consumption.   I just can't seem to wrap by brain around 350GB of streaming to one device in a 12-18 hour period.

I hope this may provide some additional insight to the team, and to other customers here.

Thanks again for your patience and your feedback above.

My understanding is that Disney Plus default streaming playback is 4K and HDR - which is great quality - but with no way to down rez.

Streaming 4K HDR content would use a lot of data compared to a previous month (prior to Disney Plus).

This may not be the only answer to all of the recent concerns noted here but it could be part of the answer for some of these concerns based on the timing of Disney Plus.    

Frequent Visitor

I have spoken to numerous people regarding this.
Yes troubleshooting done
Password changed
Everything logged off completely every night
Gateway restarted
Pods and gateway health checked by technical support
Xfi hotspot disabled
Still no answers on how from midnight Dec 1 to 7am Dec 1 47 gb used
November showing over a tb used yet was in the hospital first part of the month therefore was Not home using the internet for the entire month.
Tho the credit is appreciated it doesn’t give answers and solutions.
Frequent Visitor

well, I don't think it was Disney+ - Just streamed the latest episode of the Mandalorian (about 45 minutes) - and double checked to see that it was at 1080P (which that AppleTV has always been set at) and in the hour I was watching, the real time data usage for my entire network was 3GB for the inbound port from the Modem to my Security Gateway.   (10PM central time to 11PM Central time).

I'd be very interested to see if there was a higher usage reported by the metering system.

Contributor

@gthassell wrote:

well, I don't think it was Disney+ - Just streamed the latest episode of the Mandalorian (about 45 minutes) - and double checked to see that it was at 1080P (which that AppleTV has always been set at) and in the hour I was watching, the real time data usage for my entire network was 3GB for the inbound port from the Modem to my Security Gateway.   (10PM central time to 11PM Central time).

I'd be very interested to see if there was a higher usage reported by the metering system.

I use pfsense for a firewall.  If you do, you can watch it in real time.  Wifi is disabled on the cable modem, put your wifi on the internal network.  Figure your cable modem and it's firewall are compromised -- they're all junk anyway.

What can you realistically pull from a streaming service?  Depends on the pipe you got, but the limitation isn't going to be your cable modem (150Mbps-300Mbps).  It's going to be the slowest "hop" between you and the streaming service.  Use traceroute to see how many machines it passes through.  For me:

SlingTV usually runs around 2.5-3Mbps with burst traffic up to 4Mbps (sometimes higher).

Netflix can run a bit higher with burst traffic up to 6Mbps

Amazon Prime video isn't as "bursty" and usually hovers in the 3-4Mbps range, but there's spikes.

2.5Mbps (Mega Bit Per Second) = 1.13GB/hour (Gigabytes per hour)

4Mbps = 1.8GB/hour

6Mbps = 2.7GB/hour

15Mbps = 6.75GB/hour

Now on a mac laptop, I can get bursts up to 12Mbps, but the problem there is the bandwidth isn't sustainable.  I'll get a really good hi-def stream, but then it will downshift streams and the video will be choppy.  When you watch a stream from a service, it's not one stream.  It's broken up to as many as 12 potential streams with various bit rates.

That's where pfsense comes in.  I can throttle bandwidth per device, cut it to a reasonable 5Mbps and then videos will play nicely on my mac.  Streaming devices -- roku/firestick.  I just cut them off at 4Mbps and they'll play just fine at 1080p.  Takes care of the "burstyness" problem.

At the same time, I'm recording "per device" stats (bandwidthD works nicely) and can see what everything has been doing in almost real time, along with months of history -- also logs to a postgres sql server.  Vnstat for quick statistics.  Ntopng has some good capture and real time capabilities -- works welll with wireshark.  Watch what's going on.  Search inbound traffic by IP and capture packets to see what they're doing.  There are a few other programs you can use for monitoring/capturing too.

What should you do on your modem?  Turn of ICMP (no pings allowed to external IP).  Disable UPnP (no device should be able to blow a hole in your firewall).  Fer Ghads sake -- disable remote access!!

Advanced Class:  Install Snort (adaptive firewall).  Pick a low port like 81 and port forward that to your firewall interface.  Now when someone portscans you, the adaptive firewall blocks the machine that did it and messes up the script kid if they don't have timeouts coded -- if anything, you're doing the web a favor by slowing down their port scan.

Lots of "other tricks" too.  Maybe another time.

Now the question:  What does Xfinity count?  It's not traffic.  We do not agree on real traffic vs what they report.  I'd keep tabs on it yourself for any "disputes".

Official Employee

Providing some additional information, background and tips  below from our team that does the data overage reviews.  

Customer owned devices 
- One example are devices like Ubiquiti uNiFi, which our team most commonly sees as an issue with data usage.  The device has an internal metering system along with a periodic speed test built into it. The speed test can accrue massive amounts of data usage without reporting to its own internal metering system because it’s part of its system functions, not a device using data even though it is using data. We report its usage because we monitor for all data traffic going to and from the modem/network, not per device connected to their network.

- The number and kinds of devices connected to your network matters.  Suggestion is to log into your router to see and verify all the devices connected to your network" (very applicable with customer owned devices). 

Metering System: 
-  Comcast does not have direct access into the metering system to the extent to be able to artificially input or output data usage results or information. Our metering system is regularly audited as well where information on it can be gathered from https://www.netforecast.com/.
It includes everything from the yearly audits to how the metering system works on a technical level. This is done third party outside of Comcast.

Comcast data metering accuracy reports at the link below:
https://www.netforecast.com/comcast-internet-usage-accuracy-reports/

- The metering system is delayed by up to 24 hours. "I watched my meter and it went up by 100GB in the last 3 hours and I just booted up my computer for 15 minutes!" is not accurate - the metering timeframe is not 1:1 - its delayed because it needs to validate data and remove any data that we do not count towards the metering system. This includes things like firmware updates we push out and any other possible data we may push to the network for normal operations.

- Greatest opportunity with Windows 10 devices.  Windows 10 has a built in data usage meter for its own data tracking per application/software used on the device for 30 days(Settings -> Network & Internet -> Data Usage tab).

- Similarly could be done for other devices, ex: “Go into Netflix settings and make sure that it pauses after not watching it for a while”, etc.

Overall:
There is no trend or consistency indicating an issue in metering, but rather these have all been unique issues per network requiring the subscriber to troubleshoot/review their network.

The common trend topic is “there is no way I can use this much data”.  While the number amount of data a customer can see on the meter is more than what they know to be using, doesn’t mean it isn’t being used.

Common data users:
- Streaming devices left on even when TVs are turned off – continuously streaming and/or misconfigured settings on streaming devices
- Data backups (including cloud backups)
- Large file downloads for entertainment (video games, updates, locally downloaded movies/videos from online services, etc.) or business purposes (files of information/data for business needs, Data backups downloaded from or uploaded to, etc.)

Official Employee

@mark6785 wrote:

Single man with 2 rescue dogs here.  I do not game just TV and web surf. 2 month user of xfinity here. Previously was with ATT and never even came close to using 1 terabyte of data. Switched because of terible service. Probably made a mistake.  First 2 months I went over 1 terabyte data and I didn't know it untill I just happened to answer a call on my phone from someone in NY. I went into the locale Comcast store and was told that to use that much data I would need 6 kids gaming 24/7 for a month.  Sales person told me her family with  multiple tv's and 2 kids gaming does'nt even come close to 1 terabyte of data in a month.  Then she tells me that I should screenshot my data usage and call their tech support and don't let them tell me to go see a store salesman. 4 days into Dec. , comcast tells me I have used 148GB. Looks like I'm gonna go over 1 terabyte in DEC.. FYI, I bought my own Netgear router but Comcast would not let me install so their tech came and installed. Probably gonna have to cancel Xfinity if I can't get a remidy. Thanks Mark in FL>

Thanks for your work with rescue dogs! 

In the interest of the customer experience, I have applied a credit to your account while our team researches and reviews your account further. The credit will appear on your next printed statement and you can view the credit online via My Account.

For all - the link below and my post above has some general information on how to avoid overage charges and tips to conserve data usage:

New Poster

The most data I’ve ever used in a single month was close to 700 gigs and for some reason I’m over the terabyte by 40 gigs the first five days in December. It’s absolutely impossible. Nothing has changed at the house.
Contributor

@Marcusatx wrote:
The most data I’ve ever used in a single month was close to 700 gigs and for some reason I’m over the terabyte by 40 gigs the first five days in December. It’s absolutely impossible. Nothing has changed at the house.

Well, actually comcastTed has a point.  Plenty of stuff can go wrong on your network.  My use?  When service started, I was around 650-700 and assumed it was streaming as well.  Just the breaks for streaming right?  Perhaps not.

First high spot almost blew the limit.  Monthly xfinity useage goes like this:

998GB = no way man.....now I'm looking.

915GB = Whoa....time for hardware to analyze this

799GB = Sure, I was doing some remote cam work with a new zoneminder, but still.  My numbers don't match with a framerate/bandwidth calculation.   Also, I noticed a change in routing, and an increase in latency between me and 3 remote locations (yeah, I can graph that too -- call it packet football).  That was Xfinity -- I assume a net nanny of sorts as there is less bot traffic.  Routing change for sure.

448GB = New firewall ruleset.  Latency back to normal.  Remote device changes as well to conserve a bit more data.  I no longer trust my cable modem or it's firewall -- for anything.  Consumer cable modems are junk.

190GB = Adaptive firewall ruleset is in control, no change in my streaming habits or remote gear.  Just set some traps to make the firewall a bit more draconian.

234GB = Yep -- that was me messing with stuff doing backups, otherwise it would be around 200GB.

Do my numbers agree with Xfinity reported?  No.  We still don't agree.  I would expect my numbers and theirs to be within a gig or two...some rounding errors maybe.

Concerned?  Less now, but you should be if you can't see every device on your network, and unsolicited foreign IP contacts.  I pick up a minimum 20 port scans daily and there's other sketchy traffic.  Should any one of them pick up a service or port you are not on top of,  or something your cable modem responds to, you could be getting hammered from multiple locations in a few minutes botnet style.

Should you have to be an IT administrator?  Well.....yeah.  I guess that's a good idea from now on and probably always was in the first place. 

New Poster

Re: Internet usage - December

• The Monthly Data Usage report is not accurate for December.

I know about, and agree with, the issue in the fall regarding inaccurate data reports. My router tracks my data usage and the numbers were in-line with Comcast for October and November. I track my data usage daily, comparing Comcast's report to my router's report. 

I understand my router's report and the Comcast data usage report will never match, but they always stay within a +/- 5% accumulation range when Comcast collects accurate data usage. 

The December data usage reports from Comcast are not accurate and off as much as 30% - 60%; even taking into account a 24-hour delay in usage reporting. As of 12/6 Comcast's Data Usage Report shows that I've used 128GB of data, my router report states 80GB of data - 60% difference. Again, these large data discrepencies did not exist in October and November. There hasn't been any firmware or hardware change on my end since July.

What can be done to correct this issue? Daily bandwidth reports are available upon request.

@ComcastTeds 

New Poster

Thanks for the credit but my real worry is the overage. As of 1pm today I'm at 216 GB and will have to find a solution before the 20th of Dec. or I'll be charged BIGGLY. I have been tracking my data usage and it seems to be about 60 GB a day (24 hour period). 1024 divided by 60 =17.0666666 days. 11 days left before I start to rack up extra charges and it's Christmas time.

I called Netgear and talked to a tech ( 90 day support with purchase). While on the phone, reset the modem/router and new password and opened up a case with them and checked to see how many devises, 1 laptop 3 tvs. No outside interferance according to the tech and on monitoring the modem/router through their app..

Will now check prices for Verizon (as they are my current phone data provider ) to see a finale price for service to run 1 laptop and 3 tvs from them.

New Poster

Seeing this thread brings me a little comfort to know that I'm not the only one having this issue. 

My problems started back in August, after changing my plan and modem in July.  My reported usage jumped significantly starting in August, where I went over the cap for the first time since it was implemented.  Since then every month has been pushing the cap, which doesn't match the historical trend of reported data usage.  Historically for me a "big" month would be 600GB.

I was one of those customers affected by the billing software chage.  I received the credit and had the "data cannot be displayed" issue for September usage.  Even after the the billing software change was rolled back, I am still seeing excessively high usage reported by Comcast.  I finally got tired of it and started collecting Netflow data off my router. My data collection numbers aren't even close to what Comcast is reporting for usage.  There is clearly something still wrong with the data usage system.  Comcast reports that I have used 158GB of data for the month of December.  My Netflow data says that I have used 102.935GB of data.  Comcast is reporting 54% more data usage than what I have measured at my router.

It's nice to see that there have been a few Comcast employees posting in this thread, Comcast really doesn't care about customers, as evidenced by their last known NPS score of -3.  But in all those posts I haven't see any mention of actually fixing anything, just lots of bill credits for the inconvenience.

Can someone from Comcast please contact me and help me resolve the issue?

New Poster

"The December data usage reports from Comcast are not accurate and off as much as 30% - 60%; even taking into account a 24-hour delay in usage reporting. As of 12/6 Comcast's Data Usage Report shows that I've used 128GB of data, my router report states 80GB of data - 60% difference. Again, these large data discrepencies did not exist in October and November. There hasn't been any firmware or hardware change on my end since July."

Monthly Usage As of December 7th: Asus Router: 118GB, Comcast 260GB. 

In 24 hours, according to Comcast, I have used 130GB of data, versus 38GB reported by my router.

Can someone at Comcast help me with this issue?

@ComcastCares @ComcastDNS @ComcastVijaya

New Poster

Re: Unusually high data usage megathread

My data usage soared from 385GB to over the 1024 GB limit in October and close to that in November. I work and my viewing habits did not change. I went in and picked up Xfinity box to pin down culprits. It only during my viewing habit times. Something is very wrong.
New Poster

same here. somehow I blew through 500gb in one day on Nov 7. I called Comcast and got connected to the security team and got nothing resolved. In fact I left the call feeling like it was my fault for not monitoring my data usage daily or for using my own modem rather than Comcast’s. I ended up going over and using up a courtesy overage.
Then it happened again on Dec 5. This time I somehow blew through the 1TB in one day. I disconnected my modem @ 919gb but still manage to blow through another 163gb and reach the 1082gb mark. Haven’t had internet in my house since. I got connected with a more competent person on the security team today and he opened a case number for me. He suspects it’s my modem sending inaccurate data usage? To me it seems like the Comcast metering issue hasn’t been resolved yet with all the people here continuing to see the same issue.
New Poster

I ended up on this page while looking into why my WiFi hasn’t been working for the past 24 hrs and after reading here, I remembered that I received my 1 and only 90% warning in September. This was especially odd because all 4 people in my family are students or teachers who were home all summer together gaming, streaming, using a new nest cam, and browsing the internet all day long. How did we use MORE data after returning to school for half our day?
Frequent Visitor

I don’t have a router....only the gateway. At this time, most forum responses and verbal responses via phone are putting the blame on customers instead of realizing there are way too many complaining of the same issue to be the customers fault
Contributor

As one who had experienced an unprecedented surge in data usage in early October, and subsequently "normalized" mid-month after posting here on the forum (and receiving a $50 credit by Comcast), the most frequently-cited complaint here is a massive surge in data usage radically departing from a customer's historical  data-count pattern.  I can appreciate many of the comments by CC employees and others regarding causes apart from Comcast, such as "cloud synching", constantly running updating, etc., on i-Devices,  and anything else particular to the customer's own connected devices.  But, with few exceptions, these data surges occurred spontaneously, with no obvious change to customer's viewing or streaming habits.  Moreover, many affected customers can actually monitor data usage through their router options (as we did), and clearly demonstrate a huge disparity between daily data counts logged by CC v. the respective routers numbers.  It now seems inescapable that the Company must be more proactive in righting wrongs, and not place the onus on customers first, but concede that bugs and gremlins continue to plague their data-counting SW, and declare it a top priority to sort out this ongoing issue.

After our experiences in October, we now check our account religiously every few days to monitor data usage assigned v. household viewing/streaming online hours actually logged.  Thankfully, no deviations noted, but remain vigilant.

New Poster

Well heck, our internet usage "jumped" November 2019, (doubled overnight) and I was sure our antique router had been bot-hacked south of the DOCSIS modem....but no.  After upgrading my router to modern and monitoring all internal usage after the modem for 7 days, I find that Xfinity puts my "usage" at 10X what actually passed through my router, as documented by my router reports......So a little research followed and this thread is not an uncommon one.  Must be the modem is hacked?  Also performed external port checks on this cable modem and it's as secure as they get.  What does that leave?  There could be an error in the billing system, and in fact no other explanation makes sense. 

@coles1 wrote:
Jessie helpfully locked the thread pertaining to this for being "off topic" after merging all relevant threads into the irrelevant terabyte thread.

I thought we should still have a place to discuss this ongoing problem. I took 20 pages of documentation into a store today and was told all they could do was charge me 70 dollars to send out a tech. Out of desperation I conceded.

Any thoughts? Anyone had any resolution yet? Some folks on Twitter seem to have made slight headway and had their accounts credited but aren't sure how to help since they seem to think they just got lucky.

New Poster

Keep getting charges for data overages

Have been dealing with overages for data since June 2019. I don't do anything with my computer except occ. emails and some google inquiries (never any videos etc) I have had Comcast for 15yrs and have always had the limited 5gb of data and never went over more than a dollar or two in 15yrs.  When I called customer service in July with $200 in overages she gave me the new Xfinity one with new remotes,boxes utube,netflix etc plus extra data all at a lower price than I had been paying. She forwarded the complaint to the secutity dept also. Fast forward to today (12/8/19) and I have spent 10hrs of my time trying to solve the issues. My service was disconected last week and the only number the phone would let me talk to was an auto pay and had to pay double what I owed just to get my phone working again. I'm a senior with no cell phone so very dangerous position to put a person living alone in.  I have talked to many depts and even high level people and their supervisors during my 10 hr phone quest and no one can help me including the person I just talked to today from the # listed on this forum. The 3 people before her actually hung up on me. I think they get frustrated and hang up as they don't know what to  tell me.  My friends told me a call a TV investigative team as they sometimes are about the only ones that can help people after they've done all they can do. Guess that might be my next step as I don't want this to wreck the upcoming holidays wondering if I I will have a phone etc in an emergency.  

Official Employee

Re: Data Usage has doubled over the past month and a half

@Shelley71 wrote:

I had so many problems with xfinity's modem. I had 4 technichians come to my home and gave me answers like "Your neighbor might be making toast" "Xfinity does not guarantee WIFI" "My home was built solid" "The railing in my home might be causing the WIFI to lose connection" "Theres too much noise on the line. So I'll install a amplifier" "The amplifier should have never been used it made matters worse" "I'm at the end of the line and Internet will be slower" I could go on and on with all the excuses I've been given. After doing research on my own I decided to buy my own Modem (Xfinity approved) and Purchase WIFI boosters for my home. I have had no issues watching Netflix or using the WIFI since purchasing my own modem. However I canceled my Cable TV and My home phone and I recieve an alert that I've almost reached my 1024TB. I had no idea what that meant. I've had Xfinity for the past 12yrs and I've never had this message before. I was informed that I am using a lot more Data than in the previous months. WHY? Xfinity could not answer that. We have 2 people that live in my home. We do not do any gaming of any kind. We watch You Tube TV and Netflix and occasionally stream music. Nothing different than what we've done over the past years. I disconnected everything, changed WIFI passwords, Disabled everything that was connected to WIFI and still my Data was going up. The only thing I did different was I canceled cable and home phone. And I purchased my own modem. Xfinity is giving me the run around and telling me its not there problem and I need to call Motorella. The maker of the Modem that I purchased. But everything looks fine on their end. So why all the sudden am I having Data issues? I noticed today that an Xfinity worker was outside my home today. Why? IDK? I'm super frustrated!! I have spent countless hours on the phone with Customer care and I get no where. 

Apologies for the issues and the experience that you described above.  

In the interest of the customer experience, I have applied a credit to your account while our team researches your account further.

The credit will appear on your next printed statement and you can view the credit online via My Account.

In reviewing your account, I can see data usage growing steadily each month from July through November. The October number was close to 700 gb and November shows 1100 gb so a variance of 400 gb month over month. 

I've asked a collegue to review your account and contact you directly. Thanks for your patience.    

New Poster

Re: Data Usage has doubled over the past month and a half

Am I the only one who suddenly see a massive increase in data usage? I have consistenly used under a TB for the last year and startin November I can use over 100GB in one day!

I'm suspecting it's Disney+ and there needs to be a resolution on this. 1TB is completely unusable in the world of 4k and offering 500Mbps internet!! 

Official Employee

@Rturner22131 wrote:
The Data estimator app shows I should be around 623gb not 1017.
Noone can yet explain how from midnight Dec 1 to 7am Dec 1st I used 47 gb of data while sleeping and everything was disconnected. Noone can explain how for November I used 1017 gb yet was in the hospital first part of the month.
Despite the one response I received, my cat is Not smart enough to log into devices to connect to the internet.
Comcast obviously is aware of these issues we are all experiencing yet prefers to copy and paste answers and treat each one of us as total idiots.
I must agree, it is time for the BBB, State Attorney General, FCC and class action lawsuits.
In my area, Comcast is a monopoly and is the only provider of high speed internet available as their competitors are not allowed to service people on my side of the street.
They would be better off doing away with data caps as obviously the equipment is faulty.
There are too many having the exact same issue and getting zero results.
Comcast was better 20+ yrs ago when they were Road Runner.

According to our team, we did have someone reach out to you directly and recently on this.  The data on your account is indeed accurate and we informed you to re-secure the wifi if you believe that the device is being used by people other than yourself and to use the XFi app as well as the My Account section to see what devices are using what data. 

Our team has confirmed that there is more than one streaming device that is currently connected.

To clarify - Road Runner was a product from Time Warner and licensed to other cable operators, which may have been an earlier cable provider in your area. Comcast itself  was affiliated with the "at Home" internet service (1996-2002) and not (as far as I know) with Road Runner.     

Providing some additional information, background and tips below from our team that does the data overage reviews.

Customer owned devices
- One example are devices like Ubiquiti uNiFi, which our team most commonly sees as an issue with data usage. The device has an internal metering system along with a periodic speed test built into it. The speed test can accrue massive amounts of data usage without reporting to its own internal metering system because it’s part of its system functions, not a device using data even though it is using data. We report its usage because we monitor for all data traffic going to and from the modem/network, not per device connected to their network.

- The number and kinds of devices connected to your network matters. Suggestion is to log into your router to see and verify all the devices connected to your network" (very applicable with customer owned devices).

Metering System:
- Comcast does not have direct access into the metering system to the extent to be able to artificially input or output data usage results or information. Our metering system is regularly audited as well where information on it can be gathered from https://www.netforecast.com/.
It includes everything from the yearly audits to how the metering system works on a technical level. This is done third party outside of Comcast.

Comcast data metering accuracy reports at the link below:
https://www.netforecast.com/comcast-internet-usage-accuracy-reports/

- The metering system is delayed by up to 24 hours. "I watched my meter and it went up by 100GB in the last 3 hours and I just booted up my computer for 15 minutes!" is not accurate - the metering timeframe is not 1:1 - its delayed because it needs to validate data and remove any data that we do not count towards the metering system. This includes things like firmware updates we push out and any other possible data we may push to the network for normal operations.

- Greatest opportunity with Windows 10 devices. Windows 10 has a built in data usage meter for its own data tracking per application/software used on the device for 30 days(Settings -> Network & Internet -> Data Usage tab).

- Similarly could be done for other devices, ex: “Go into Netflix settings and make sure that it pauses after not watching it for a while”, etc.

Overall:
There is no trend or consistency indicating an issue in metering, but rather these have all been unique issues per network requiring the subscriber to troubleshoot/review their network.

The common trend topic is “there is no way I can use this much data”. While the number amount of data a customer can see on the meter is more than what they know to be using, doesn’t mean it isn’t being used.

Common data users:
- Streaming devices left on even when TVs are turned off – continuously streaming and/or misconfigured settings on streaming devices
- Data backups (including cloud backups)
- Large file downloads for entertainment (video games, updates, locally downloaded movies/videos from online services, etc.) or business purposes (files of information/data for business needs, Data backups downloaded from or uploaded to, etc.)

New Poster

I just realized there is a huge discrepcy on what comcast is reporting vs my router. In the last 24 hours my router indicated I used 7.61 GB, comcast indicates around 150GB.

This has started since Nov, I first suspected Disney+ but it doesn't look like it. In fact, my nest cam uses more bandwidth. 

I call comcast support and it's the usual script. "We can't troubleshoot your issue because you are not using our modem".

Can someone please help me? 

@ComcastTeds 

bw.JPG

Official Employee

@Marcusatx wrote:

Apologies for the issues and the experience that you described above.

In the interest of the customer experience, I have applied a credit to your account while our team researches your account further.

The credit will appear on your next printed statement and you can view the credit online via My Account.

In reviewing your account, I can see data usage from June through November averaged about 582 gb/month. The December usage spike appears to be around two days - December 2nd (550 gb) and December 3rd (450 gb) - if that helps you to track that down.  Please see earlier disclaimer around data usage metering delayed by 24 hours (it's not a "real time" data meter). 

I've asked a colleague to review your account and contact you directly. Thanks for your patience.