Community Forum

Unusually high data usage megathread

New Poster

Re: Internet Data Use

Same issue here too, averaging 650/m gb usage over the last 6 months but this month im at 1,264 as of today and I still have 3 days left of November. Haven't done anything differently this month but its at double? Makes no sense!

New Poster

This is happening to us. We average 500 to 700 GBs of data use in my household. The last month they said we used about 900 GB and this month they are saying we have used 1100 GB with three days left. I am monitoring our data through my router and it is saying that we have used 675 GB for the month. Nothing is wired and everything is wireless in my household. They keep telling me there is nothing they can do, but I need to monitor it.  They cannot tell me where this 400 GB of data usage bleed is and do not want to help.

New Poster

Add me to the list.  My family and I typically use anywhere between 500GB and 700GB a month.  We had one month in the summer we used around 900GB.  Now, somehow for the month of November we have used 1,078GB.  I've tried talking to several Comcast Xfinity Agents/Representatives and I keep getting the runaround.

New Poster

My husband and I suspected long ago that Comcast was not calculating the data usage correctly and today we have kind of a proof: It's December 1st and at 7am he accidentally checked traffic usage because the app was open on his phone, just to find out that we "used" 11GB of traffic in 7 hours at night with 99% of our devices offline (yes our wifi is secure, no neighbors can leech on it).

So he called Comcast and went "up the suppot chain" just to get the last agent hang up on him after they promissed to "investigate" and nobody called back despite they eagerly asked for the call back number earlier. So we had a feeling that they made it look like we hung up just in case the calls are recorded or something.

And of course there was the same speech in the beginning from the initial agent: "You are not using our modem so we can't see which device on your network is using that much traffic".

Well, of course we are not giving comcast the ability to spy on us and we have our own modem and our own router with opensource firmware with an ability to monitor traffic. And guess what? The router shows about 500MB of traffic usage during the last 9 hours at the moment of this writing.

My huband is going to prepare to file a class action lawsuite against comcast so if any of you guys have any more supporting data, please post here. This artificial data cap is absolutely unfair, we believe that Comcast is "cooking up" usage data in their favor to push people to pay $50 for the "unlimted" traffic or pay overages and we intent to bring this practice to the end. Please support us.

Regular Contributor

There was a large scale issue a few months ago  - with corresponding large threads of complaints here that they claim has been found and fixed.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/10/comcast-incorrectly-charged-2000-customers-fo...

However, there are still some ongoing complaints like yours - many of the others say they also have xfinitiy mobile or their data use changed after signing up for it.  Do you have that in common?

New Poster

Unknown Excessive Data Usage

Has anyone gotten an answer to the unknown data usage appearing on accounts. I somehow burned through 11gb between midnight and 6am with NOTHING running out of the ordinary. Within that time frame, between 7am and 9am I've burned through 3gb of data, with only my laptop connected.

I know this for a fact because I factory reset my modem and changed my passwords. So basically, using my laptop to reconfigure my modem/route used 3gb of data? Come on Comcast whats REALLY going on? 

Frequent Visitor

Re: Internet usage

@ComcastTeds ,

Thank you for your reply, but now, 6 days later, no one has reached out to me either by email or phone, in spite of your note that you reached out to a colleague to follow up.   In examinig my home network, it appears that at the points in time of the extremely high usage (concentrated over a several day period that seems to coincide with others' experiences), there was SIGNIFICANT data traffic to my inbound gateway (passing through the modem, that did NOT pass through my security gateway, which exists on my side of the modem.  That, to me, seemingly indicates that either the process for monitoring data is somehow causing excess data usage, OR that there are attempts to breach a network that are being stopped by my security gateway, but are not being originated from within my network.

I'd be happy to discuss with someone on the comcast team - but as I mentioned - no one has contacted me.  

Has Comcast looked into whether or not some / all of these massive fluctuations in data usage are something along the lines of DDOS attacks pointed at specific IP addresses / modems?  

Give the massive amounts of data usage being reported in this forum / thread (e.g. - 208 GB in 14 hours in my case - overnight on 11/19 to 11/20, it seems like that could be a cuplrit - as there is no way (to my knoweldge at least) I could have done that overnight.

New Poster

I am experiencing the terabyte overage/usage spike starting with November usage, and to my knowledge I was not notified about being one of the affected users, so it seems that at least in my case the problem is still not fixed.

New Poster

We have been long time loyal Xfinity customers over 10 years. 

Our average data use over the last 5 months was 456GB.  This last month Xfinity is showing that we went over 1400GB! 

There is absolutely no way we could have used this much data.  

Xfinity, please reinstate our 'courtesy month' as we have not used this data.

xfinity loyal customer.pngaverage montly data vs November

Regular Visitor

@ComcastTeds 

Where are you, can you not help!!!

Contributor

Re: Internet usage **UPDATE***

Since I began this thread, I thought an update was in order.

Every customer here is echoing the exact same problem and yet, Comcast Support acts as if it's a new revelation.  We have a called scheduled for tomorrow morning to update Comcast Security on our usage, and how to procede from here. We have been away for 5 days, no one in the house, all wireless devices with us, and the usage is still unjustified and excessive.

Comcast is very much aware of this problem, but they are banking on customers being desparate and accepting Comcast's recommendation of paying for an Unliminted Plan and using only Comcast equipment. Ironically, while talking with the Comcast Security Rep last week, he slipped up when telling us that using Comcast's equipment was the only way to monitor usage, and then he said that he has our daily usage on this screen.

So what do customers do? Where are we to go from here? Here is a list of what we have uncovered from talking to officials.

1) For some customers there is a "coincidental" relation to using Comcast Internet service (home) and the Xfinity Cellular Service. This needs to be investigated, as well as execessive data usage that is vastly different from monthly use.

2) We have contacted the Better Business Bureau and files a complaint. The BBB has notified us that they have contact edComcast about this issue and asked for their cooperation. No news as yet.

3) We can file a complaint with the FCC and open an investigation. With so many customers experiencing the same issue, and it has not been resolved for any of us, the FCC would find this compelling enough to investigate.

4) We can file a complaint with the Attorney General for the state here you live. He will also investigate.

5)  We can do all the above and copy the news media on these procedures as well. Our research shows that there are tens of thousands of customers who have voiced their experience on this forum, as well as neighborhood forums and in comment sections after articles. Just think how many out there that have not spoken up, thinking they are the only ones?

6)  Or, we can just walk away, and use another service.

That's where we are. Tomorrow telephone call will determine our own next course of action.

<sigh> Comcast would be best serviced to address the problem and resolve it, rather than hiding behind veiled ignorance.

Contributor

Yes,

we have the same problem. Is it a coincidence or a valid issue? We don't know, because no on is willing to help. The poor girl at the Comcast store was frustrated because management wouldn't help her by offering answers to the problem. She felt like she was getting the run around. We promised to tell her personally what the end result to all this craziness is. Exhausting.
Silver Problem Solver

@midtenner wrote:
Yes,

we have the same problem. Is it a coincidence or a valid issue? We don't know, because no on is willing to help. The poor girl at the Comcast store was frustrated because management wouldn't help her by offering answers to the problem. She felt like she was getting the run around. We promised to tell her personally what the end result to all this craziness is. Exhausting.

The overage is a "valid issue".

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/10/comcast-incorrectly-charged-2000-customers-fo...

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Official Employee

@RobertWy wrote:

@midtenner wrote:
Yes,

The overage is a "valid issue".

To be clear, the above referes to a "valid issue" for about 2,000 customers who we identified and credited.  

To put that in perspective, that's about .008% of our high speed data customers. While unfortunate and certainly not intended, we identified that issue, addressed it and worked to make that right with the customers that were affected. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

@maryrose21 wrote:

This is happening in our household as well. We were averaging 500 to 600 GB per month and now this month we're suddenly at the data cap. We aren't doing anything different than we used to. Please fix this.

Apologies for the issue and the experience. I do see a credit recently placed on your account for this. Thanks for your patience. It will appear on your next printed statement and you can view the credit online via My Account.

I have also asked a colleague to review your account and contact you directly for any next steps. Thanks for your patience.

For all - the link below has some general information on how to avoid overage charges and tips to conserve data usage:
https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/data-usage-avoid-overage-charges

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

@katrina091686 wrote:

Same issue here too, averaging 650/m gb usage over the last 6 months but this month im at 1,264 as of today and I still have 3 days left of November. Haven't done anything differently this month but its at double? Makes no sense!

Apologies for the issue and the experience. I do see a credit recently placed on your account for this. Thanks for your patience. It will appear on your next printed statement and you can view the credit online via My Account.

I have also asked a colleague to review your account and contact you directly for any next steps. Thanks for your patience.

For all - the link below has some general information on how to avoid overage charges and tips to conserve data usage:

Official Employee

@ldk150 wrote:

This is happening to us. We average 500 to 700 GBs of data use in my household. The last month they said we used about 900 GB and this month they are saying we have used 1100 GB with three days left. I am monitoring our data through my router and it is saying that we have used 675 GB for the month. Nothing is wired and everything is wireless in my household. They keep telling me there is nothing they can do, but I need to monitor it.  They cannot tell me where this 400 GB of data usage bleed is and do not want to help.

Contributor

Well,

what about the rest of us who are obviously having issues with overage that we are NOT using. How can you no be at home? All wireless devices are with you? You are 1,000 miles away? Everything at your home is turned off? And still you exceed the data usage?  Respecfully, this matter needs to be addressed publicly and expediously. This duck and cover approach in avoiding customer service is just not professional. Comcast cannot say these are "isolated incidents." Same song and verse, different customers throughout the country.

Please help us and stop this craziness. This does not have to escalate into a class action suit, as others have suggested.

Thank you.
Official Employee

@Marc_Madness wrote:

Add me to the list.  My family and I typically use anywhere between 500GB and 700GB a month.  We had one month in the summer we used around 900GB.  Now, somehow for the month of November we have used 1,078GB.  I've tried talking to several Comcast Xfinity Agents/Representatives and I keep getting the runaround.

Apologies for the issue and the experience that you described above. Your data usage in June (871 Gb), July (949 Gb)  and November (1084 Gb) are fairly comparable. 

In the interest of the customer experience, I have applied a credit to your account while our team researches your account further. 

The credit will appear on your next printed statement and you can view the credit online via My Account.

Official Employee

@jbarvinsky wrote:

My husband and I suspected long ago that Comcast was not calculating the data usage correctly and today we have kind of a proof: It's December 1st and at 7am he accidentally checked traffic usage because the app was open on his phone, just to find out that we "used" 11GB of traffic in 7 hours at night with 99% of our devices offline (yes our wifi is secure, no neighbors can leech on it).

So he called Comcast and went "up the suppot chain" just to get the last agent hang up on him after they promissed to "investigate" and nobody called back despite they eagerly asked for the call back number earlier. So we had a feeling that they made it look like we hung up just in case the calls are recorded or something.

And of course there was the same speech in the beginning from the initial agent: "You are not using our modem so we can't see which device on your network is using that much traffic".

Well, of course we are not giving comcast the ability to spy on us and we have our own modem and our own router with opensource firmware with an ability to monitor traffic. And guess what? The router shows about 500MB of traffic usage during the last 9 hours at the moment of this writing.

My huband is going to prepare to file a class action lawsuite against comcast so if any of you guys have any more supporting data, please post here. This artificial data cap is absolutely unfair, we believe that Comcast is "cooking up" usage data in their favor to push people to pay $50 for the "unlimted" traffic or pay overages and we intent to bring this practice to the end. Please support us.

Apologies for the issue and the experience that you described above. 

In the interest of the customer experience, I have applied a credit to your account while our team researches your account further.

The credit will appear on your next printed statement and you can view the credit online via My Account.

Official Employee

Re: Unknown Excessive Data Usage

@BIGR8DR wrote:

Has anyone gotten an answer to the unknown data usage appearing on accounts. I somehow burned through 11gb between midnight and 6am with NOTHING running out of the ordinary. Within that time frame, between 7am and 9am I've burned through 3gb of data, with only my laptop connected.

I know this for a fact because I factory reset my modem and changed my passwords. So basically, using my laptop to reconfigure my modem/route used 3gb of data? Come on Comcast whats REALLY going on? 

In the interest of the customer experience, I have applied a credit to your account while our team researches your account further.

Official Employee

@gthassell wrote:

@ComcastTeds ,

Thank you for your reply, but now, 6 days later, no one has reached out to me either by email or phone, in spite of your note that you reached out to a colleague to follow up.   In examinig my home network, it appears that at the points in time of the extremely high usage (concentrated over a several day period that seems to coincide with others' experiences), there was SIGNIFICANT data traffic to my inbound gateway (passing through the modem, that did NOT pass through my security gateway, which exists on my side of the modem.  That, to me, seemingly indicates that either the process for monitoring data is somehow causing excess data usage, OR that there are attempts to breach a network that are being stopped by my security gateway, but are not being originated from within my network.

I'd be happy to discuss with someone on the comcast team - but as I mentioned - no one has contacted me.  

Has Comcast looked into whether or not some / all of these massive fluctuations in data usage are something along the lines of DDOS attacks pointed at specific IP addresses / modems?  

Give the massive amounts of data usage being reported in this forum / thread (e.g. - 208 GB in 14 hours in my case - overnight on 11/19 to 11/20, it seems like that could be a cuplrit - as there is no way (to my knoweldge at least) I could have done that overnight.

Apologies, I am checking on your case now.  Someone is expected to reach out to you today.

As posted by a customer on the previous page - our teams see more than a few instances where applications like online drives (iCloud is just one example) syncing constantly and/or "getting stuck" can cause significant data usage.  

Official Employee

@ecinut wrote:

I am experiencing the terabyte overage/usage spike starting with November usage, and to my knowledge I was not notified about being one of the affected users, so it seems that at least in my case the problem is still not fixed.

Official Employee

@ValuedCustomer2 wrote:

We have been long time loyal Xfinity customers over 10 years. 

Our average data use over the last 5 months was 456GB.  This last month Xfinity is showing that we went over 1400GB! 

There is absolutely no way we could have used this much data.  

Xfinity, please reinstate our 'courtesy month' as we have not used this data.

xfinity loyal customer.pngaverage montly data vs November

Official Employee

@johnn2 wrote:

@ComcastTeds 

Where are you, can you not help!!!

Was on vacation during the Thanksgiving holiday.

Hope you had time with family and friends as well.  Been helping and continue to assist.  

Official Employee

@midtenner wrote:
Well,

what about the rest of us who are obviously having issues with overage that we are NOT using. How can you no be at home? All wireless devices are with you? You are 1,000 miles away? Everything at your home is turned off? And still you exceed the data usage?  Respecfully, this matter needs to be addressed publicly and expediously. This duck and cover approach in avoiding customer service is just not professional. Comcast cannot say these are "isolated incidents." Same song and verse, different customers throughout the country.

Please help us and stop this craziness. This does not have to escalate into a class action suit, as others have suggested.

Thank you.

Apologies. From your earlier posts, it sounds like our team has been in contact with you and is researching the specifics on your account. Thanks for your assistance and cooperation. It is much appreciated. 

In the interest of the customer experience, I have applied a loyalty credit to your account while our team researches your account further. 

As posted by a customer on the previous page - our teams see more than a few instances where applications like online drives (iCloud is just one example) syncing constantly and/or "getting stuck" can cause significant data usage.

Frequent Visitor

These copy and paste answers aren't cutting it.  The $50 credit is appreciated but I'd much rather have an honest assessment as to what is happening.  You should also reinstate everyone's courtesy months.

We received a text that someone from Corporate was trying to contact us and left us a phone number that said to call and leave a message and we'd receive a response in 24-48 hours.  Nothing. 

Our date usage is still off the charts ridiculous the past 2 months despite nothing changing on our end regarding usage.  We supposedly used 91 GB of data of the first day of December which would put us close to 3 TB for the month.  Up from around 762 GB in September.

Comcast needs to address this asap and the issue appears to be affecting way more customers that they are leading on.  I'm giving this about 10 days and then it's off to another provider.   

Contributor

As of this morning, December 2, 2019 at 10:33 am  we talked with Comcast Security...yet again. The representatives of Comcast continue to read from the same dialog. They don't have any idea how this is happening. Our WIFI is secure. Even being on vacation for 5 days during Thanksgiving, the usage is ridiculous. They fail to offer refund, intelligent explanations, or even the least bit of assistance. And yet, they content what customers experience in new to them. Meanwhile, you only have to read the comments in this forum to see it's an issue....and it continues to go unaddressed.

As much as I would like to champion an effort to have Comcast investgated, we are signing off...and going with another service.

Official Employee

@tabamccoy wrote:

These copy and paste answers aren't cutting it.  The $50 credit is appreciated but I'd much rather have an honest assessment as to what is happening.  You should also reinstate everyone's courtesy months.

We received a text that someone from Corporate was trying to contact us and left us a phone number that said to call and leave a message and we'd receive a response in 24-48 hours.  Nothing. 

Our date usage is still off the charts ridiculous the past 2 months despite nothing changing on our end regarding usage.  We supposedly used 91 GB of data of the first day of December which would put us close to 3 TB for the month.  Up from around 762 GB in September.

Comcast needs to address this asap and the issue appears to be affecting way more customers that they are leading on.  I'm giving this about 10 days and then it's off to another provider.   

Apologies. Looks like from 11/15 through 11/19 Matthew  W. on our team reached out via voicemail, e-mail and USPS mail.  He left his direct contact information for follow-up.

I will send you that information via Private Message so that you have that.  

Thanks for your patience. 

Official Employee

@midtenner wrote:

As of this morning, December 2, 2019 at 10:33 am  we talked with Comcast Security...yet again. The representatives of Comcast continue to read from the same dialog. They don't have any idea how this is happening. Our WIFI is secure. Even being on vacation for 5 days during Thanksgiving, the usage is ridiculous. They fail to offer refund, intelligent explanations, or even the least bit of assistance. And yet, they content what customers experience in new to them. Meanwhile, you only have to read the comments in this forum to see it's an issue....and it continues to go unaddressed.

As much as I would like to champion an effort to have Comcast investgated, we are signing off...and going with another service.

Apologies. To be clear, your account has been credited. As mentioned earlier, that credit will appear on your next printed statement and/or you can view it via My Account.  

We have been working directly with all individuals that have posted in this thread. 

There can be many reasons for large amounts of data use.  

Contributor

Thank you. Just saw your private message and note about credit. Someone from Comcast also reached out to us by email in response to the BBB contacting them.

Frequent Visitor

Yes, he did reach out.  As mentioned, I called him back and left a voice mail over a week ago and he never returned my call.

New Poster

I have the same issue. This is a huge ripoff, everytime you call customer service they say the same lines and could never help. there solution is always pay $50 more for unlimited and rent there modem (extorsion). As if i want to give them more of my money when i know they are ripping people off. I have never exceeded my data cap until november/last month. previous months i averaged around 500-600 GB. so there is no way I could have used 1079 GB in 1 month. I also know there meter is not accurate since i disconnected all devices form wifi before December 1st, and when i decided to check midday on the 1st i had already used 4GB, may i add nothing was connected. What would be helpful would be for xfinity to reimburse my 1 courtesy overage it used up last month since i know i didnt pass 1 terabyte of data.  

Frequent Visitor

Add me as well
My data usage has skyrocketed despite no changes in data use in my home. And to show data used at night when everything is either offline or paused is outrageous. There is no way I suddenly jumped to over a terabyte being used with just one tv on and nothing else. I don’t even turn on the ps4 anymore due to this issue. Fix it!
Frequent Visitor

Maybe a class action lawsuit if they are unwilling to fix this issue
New Poster

I am glad that I was able to find this thread because I thought I was the only one experiencing this issue. A couple of days ago, I logged in to check my data usage and I was surprised to find out that I supposedly, out of nowhere, went way over my limit for August and September. I tend to check my data usage every couple of weeks and I know for a fact that I did not use the amount of data that it shows for those two months. On average I tend to use anywhere between 650-850GBs and I make sure to avoid going over the limit. My data usage can be rather high some months but I am always on top of every single thing that goes on within my network. The last time I went over the limit was back in March of this year and even my notifications say so. If I truly passed the limit on August and September, wouldn't it let me know that I was getting close to the limit? I have notfications turned on. This is why I am 100% sure that I did go over the data limit for those two months. I know I also had one courtesy month left on my account and now it says I have none left, simply because of this issue. I called service and they said that they would open a dispute about this issue and that they would give me a call back in 24-72 hours. This was last Thursday and so far, I have not been called back. I want to know how I can resolve this issue.

New Poster

I'm experiencing the same issue. According to the data meter, my data usage in December is already up to 135 GB (!) in less than 48 hours. How is this possible, the month has just started and I wasn't even home most of the time? There is clearly something wrong here! 

Contributor

The only way that we were able to get action was to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. As soon as Comcast was notified by BBB about the complaint we received a call from Comcast security, credit was given and case closed.
Frequent Visitor

@ComcastTeds:

As has been the case with many in this forum, there are promises of action, but nothing is done.   I waited until 12:42 AM before responding to you, but yet again, no contact from the resource(s) who you indicated would be contacting me on Monday. No phone calls, emails, or texts.

As others are reporitng the same problems, with the same shaped graphs showing severe spikes in November usage, it certainly appears to be more than just a case of a number of people suddenly using more data than they did previously.

I am anxiously awaiting Comcast to reach out to me as previously promised to discuss and explore this situation.

Official Employee

@tabamccoy wrote:

Yes, he did reach out.  As mentioned, I called him back and left a voice mail over a week ago and he never returned my call.

Got it - I misunderstood that part in your post.

Some of our team members were out part of last week due to the holiday.  I have reached out to the team and you should expect contact this week. Also, I sent you the direct contact information for the person who is working your case,  should you wish to reach out to them again at your convenience. 

Thanks for your patience and understanding.    

Official Employee

@kjquiro wrote:

I have the same issue. This is a huge ripoff, everytime you call customer service they say the same lines and could never help. there solution is always pay $50 more for unlimited and rent there modem (extorsion). As if i want to give them more of my money when i know they are ripping people off. I have never exceeded my data cap until november/last month. previous months i averaged around 500-600 GB. so there is no way I could have used 1079 GB in 1 month. I also know there meter is not accurate since i disconnected all devices form wifi before December 1st, and when i decided to check midday on the 1st i had already used 4GB, may i add nothing was connected. What would be helpful would be for xfinity to reimburse my 1 courtesy overage it used up last month since i know i didnt pass 1 terabyte of data.  

Apologies. As per the response in your other post/thread, your account was recently credited.  Also as per that thread, a colleague is already researching and will reach out to resolve any outstanding issues.

Apologies again and thanks for your patience. 

As posted by a customer on an earlier page in this thread  - our teams see more than a few instances where applications like online drives (iCloud is just one example) syncing constantly and/or "getting stuck" can cause significant data usage.

Official Employee

@Rturner22131 wrote:
Add me as well
My data usage has skyrocketed despite no changes in data use in my home. And to show data used at night when everything is either offline or paused is outrageous. There is no way I suddenly jumped to over a terabyte being used with just one tv on and nothing else. I don’t even turn on the ps4 anymore due to this issue. Fix it!

A cursory review of your account shows data usage from June through November in a range of 678 to 1017 Gb per month, an average monthly usage of 889 Gb. That shows growing data usage but certainly not an inconsistent pattern based on earlier usage. 

There is a ticket opened on your account for this issue with the right teams based on your call to us last night.  That team will review and contact you. 

In the interest of the customer experience, I have applied a credit to your account while our team researches your account further.  The credit will appear on your next printed statement and you can view the credit online via My Account.

New Poster

Re: Data Usage Spike - No Way We Are Using That Much Data!

Same situation here.  500-800 GB per month, every month, until November 2019.  Then 1,180 GB.  Now, December has had 2 full days go by and our usage is at 121 GB, already.    At this rate, my current month of data usage for December will total 1,800+ GB.  I fell like Neo plugged into the Matrix...

Somewhere Comcast has changed their method of calculating data usage.  Or ->

Upper Management Question: How do we make more profit?

Answer: Provide data intense content, but limit the total usage to generate overages.

(Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, YouTube = Data usage, not TV usage)

Official Employee

@JMNR wrote:

I am glad that I was able to find this thread because I thought I was the only one experiencing this issue. A couple of days ago, I logged in to check my data usage and I was surprised to find out that I supposedly, out of nowhere, went way over my limit for August and September. I tend to check my data usage every couple of weeks and I know for a fact that I did not use the amount of data that it shows for those two months. On average I tend to use anywhere between 650-850GBs and I make sure to avoid going over the limit. My data usage can be rather high some months but I am always on top of every single thing that goes on within my network. The last time I went over the limit was back in March of this year and even my notifications say so. If I truly passed the limit on August and September, wouldn't it let me know that I was getting close to the limit? I have notfications turned on. This is why I am 100% sure that I did go over the data limit for those two months. I know I also had one courtesy month left on my account and now it says I have none left, simply because of this issue. I called service and they said that they would open a dispute about this issue and that they would give me a call back in 24-72 hours. This was last Thursday and so far, I have not been called back. I want to know how I can resolve this issue.

Apologies for the issue and the experience that you described above. As mentioned earlier in this thread, there was a known issue that impacted a very small percentage of our customers in the Fall. The referenced Fall 2019 issue impacted about 2,000 customers. To put that in perspective, that's about .008% of our high speed data customers. While unfortunate and certainly not intended, we identified that issue, addressed it and worked to make that right with the customers that were affected. 

A cursory review of your account shows data usage from June through November in a range of 795  to 1175 Gb per month, an average monthly usage of 980 Gb. That shows a fairly consistent  data usage pattern over the past 6 months. 

In the interest of the customer experience, I have applied a credit to your account while our team researches your account further. The credit will appear on your next printed statement and you can view the credit online via My Account.

Official Employee

@cs5317 wrote:

I'm experiencing the same issue. According to the data meter, my data usage in December is already up to 135 GB (!) in less than 48 hours. How is this possible, the month has just started and I wasn't even home most of the time? There is clearly something wrong here! 

As mentioned earlier in this thread, there was a known issue that impacted a very small percentage of our customers in the Fall. The referenced Fall 2019 issue impacted about 2,000 customers. To put that in perspective, that's about .008% of our high speed data customers. While unfortunate and certainly not intended, we identified that issue, addressed it and worked to make that right with the customers that were affected.

A cursory review of your account shows steadily increasing data usage from June through November with an average monthly usage of 827 Gb over this period.  

In the interest of the customer experience, I have applied a credit to your account while our team researches your account further. The credit will appear on your next printed statement and you can view the credit online via My Account.

Official Employee

@midtenner wrote:
The only way that we were able to get action was to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. As soon as Comcast was notified by BBB about the complaint we received a call from Comcast security, credit was given and case closed.

Glad to hear that your issue was resolved to your satisfaction.  Thanks for your patience. 

To be clear, the credit was issued on your account prior to your BBB compliant being filed.  But glad to hear that all ended up well. 

Official Employee

@gthassell wrote:

@ComcastTeds:

As has been the case with many in this forum, there are promises of action, but nothing is done.   I waited until 12:42 AM before responding to you, but yet again, no contact from the resource(s) who you indicated would be contacting me on Monday. No phone calls, emails, or texts.

As others are reporitng the same problems, with the same shaped graphs showing severe spikes in November usage, it certainly appears to be more than just a case of a number of people suddenly using more data than they did previously.

I am anxiously awaiting Comcast to reach out to me as previously promised to discuss and explore this situation.

Apologies. Many (most?) in this forum have had their accounts directly and promptly credited (including your own account) and most all have had someone on our team reach out to them directly to go over their specific concerns.

Apologies that it has taken longer for someone on our team to get back to you. This may be due to the Thanksgiving holiday last week when a lot of the team was out of the office for all or part  of the week. I have asked again about the status of your case.  Thanks for your continued patience. 

As mentioned earlier in this thread, there was a known issue that impacted a very small percentage of our customers in the Fall. The referenced Fall 2019 issue impacted about 2,000 customers. To put that in perspective, that's about .008% of our high speed data customers. While unfortunate and certainly not intended, we identified that issue, addressed it and worked to make that right with the customers that were affected.

Outside of this referenced issue, there does not currently appear to be a common thread here based on the examples so far. 

If it helps, the majority of the data usage on your account in November was November 17th through the 20th. 

11/17 - about 100 gb
11/18 - about 200 gb
11/19 - about 350 gb
11/20 - about 150 gb 

The rest of the month is well under 50 gb per day and mirrors October's usage. 

Frequent Visitor

I agree.... I’m already showing 100gb since the first. There is something wrong and Comcast doesn’t care. They tell us all the same thing yet do nothing! Maybe time fir the BBB and an attorney
New Poster

Add me to this unfortunate list. Woke up this morning (the 3rd) to a notice that I used ALL my data.
Yeah, no. I have worked 22 of the last 48 hours and this does not include drive time or sleep.
There is absolutely no possible way I have used all my data when in fact you look at the last three months work where I never break 500.
This is BS. No one at Comcast would give us a straight answer. “Change your password”, “use the xFi app (that costs more money)”..... just the same runaround. No guys, tell me why the heck this is happening! Fix my account and give everyone here a reason for your lies!!!!
Frequent Visitor

Its wrong that in November I used 1017 gb when I was in the Hospital the first week of November having major surgery. So if I’m in the hospital for part if the month how did I use 1017gb? My cat doesn’t know how to get on the internet