Community Forum

Unusually high data usage megathread

New Poster

Your data usage numbers for my account are still incorrect.

My network has it's own data usage meter and I've only used 354Gb of data in the past 30 days.  Your meter says I've used 426Gb in the past 10 days.  The numbers are not just off a little bit...they are outrageous.  I became suspicious because you claim I've gone over 1Tb of data both of the last 2 months and my network shows that I've NEVER gone over 500Gb in any 30 day period.  

New Poster

Re: Your data usage numbers for my account are still incorrect.

Maybe this https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/10/comcast-incorrectly-charged-2000-customers-fo... has something to do with it?  

Anyway, I'd just like to say I'm very happy with the service I've gotten over the past year or two.  The bandwidth is superior to any other ISP in the area and I always (up to now) get what I pay for.  Hopefully, this is just a glitch and Comcast will get it fixed quickly and reset my 2 grace months.

Frequent Visitor

OMG, they wiped my September usage which was under the threshold but not my MTD usage for October which includes one day that they claim I used 120 Gigs of data which was literally impossible since no one was here for most of the day. 

I was also told by Comcast Customer Care in the US that no data would apply when using the Showtime app on my X1 box to stream Showtime shows since I have a subscription but was then told the opposite by the Comcast Security team in the Phillipines.   Which is it?  I don't show any data coming from the X1 boxes. 

I will agree with the above poster that I have been  impressed with the X1 system but this is quickly spiraling into a very poor customer experience. 

Regular Visitor

Just checked my bill, have $65 credit and all data usage for Sept. is gone.

Still showes 1 courtesy month used, guess I'll have to call to get it restored.

I'll wait untill this power outage we have here in California is over, internet and power have been out since Wed. 11pm.

Expert

@cbell2112 wrote:

OMG, they wiped my September usage which was under the threshold but not my MTD usage for October which includes one day that they claim I used 120 Gigs of data which was literally impossible since no one was here for most of the day. 

I was also told by Comcast Customer Care in the US that no data would apply when using the Showtime app on my X1 box to stream Showtime shows since I have a subscription but was then told the opposite by the Comcast Security team in the Phillipines.   Which is it?  I don't show any data coming from the X1 boxes. 

The X1 boxes have a different internet portal and won't show up in your device list under Xfinity xFi, which only tracks devices connected to your gateway. 

I'm not sure what you mean by "Showtime App" in your X1 box, as I would normally use the X1's On Demand function if I were using it, but here's a pointer - if the app in your X1 box shows "Internet", it will use data. If not, then it won't. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

@darkangelic wrote:

@cbell2112 wrote:

The X1 boxes have a different internet portal and won't show up in your device list under Xfinity xFi, which only tracks devices connected to your gateway. 

I'm not sure what you mean by "Showtime App" in your X1 box, as I would normally use the X1's On Demand function if I were using it, but here's a pointer - if the app in your X1 box shows "Internet", it will use data. If not, then it won't. 

I guess it is not an app.  I just assumed it was since there is not an On Demand button on the remote but now I see what you are talking about.  I just say "Ray Donovan" into the remote and it comes up.  It does not say "On Demand" but if I hit the Xfinity button on the remote and go to On Demand then it does say "On Demand/Ray Donovan".    I will do it the other way tonight and see if there is a difference in billing.

If streaming isn't counting towards my data use then it is all the more disturbing since I was charged for 27 GBs of data for essentially 4 hours of gaming.   Everything I have read makes it seem it should be far less than that.  

Frequent Visitor

Past 24 hours we have only used 8 GBs per the counter which seems much more in line with what I would imagine my household does.  Prior to that, they were clocking me for 25-30 GBs per day.    I guess checking the counter will be a daily ritual going forward. 

Contributor

Posted data-counting discrepancy elsewhere, but to summarize, bogus counting began exactly on 1st of October, when new "speed upgrade" started for our download tier.  So, my question is: for all customers here who had their counters reset by Comcast, was this done following calls to Customer Service, or by Comcast unprompted?

Regular Visitor

No calls to Comcast, just posted here and checked my bill and got the credit.

Still need to call to get my courtsey month back.

PG&E power and Comcast is back here, PG&E power shutdown was a mess here in California 

Contributor

@johnn2 wrote:

PG&E power and Comcast is back here, PG&E power shutdown was a mess here in California 

Thank for your comments...guess we'll just wait and see.  The CC data-counter is registering exactly  30 GB/day, regardless of how much or how little we stream, e.g. 210GB @ day 7, 300GB at day 10, 330GB @ day 11, etc.  So at this rate we'll have clocked 930GB for the month of October, just below the 1024GB overage number...what a s**tshow.

Regular Visitor

25GB used since the Oct 1st.

It's back to our normal usage, never exceeded 360 for a month ever.

Frequent Visitor

I've called in twice and was transferred to the security team in the Philippines.  Really just trying to get an explanation of what is using what but could get no solid answers.  They reset my September usage which was about 530 GB.   I wanted to reset October because they claim I used 120 GBs on Oct 5 which I don't think is possible. 

The problem is you can't really tell what is going on because they say the data can have up to a 24 hour delay. 

Just got dinged for 12 GBs between 5 PM and 10:20 PM.  Daughter streamed 2 1 hour shows on Netflix at medium quality.  That is it.  

Regular Visitor

My September usage about 1800gb has been removed and October counter was reset and now seems to be reading correctly. However, I haven't received any credit and haven't received my courtesy month back yet. I'm still hoping and waiting that Comcast is still working on fixing things for those of us that had this problem.
New Poster

Last night was the last date of the billing cycle. I had checked my app and it said it was 990gb used. I had all of my devices in my house unplugged and even unplugged my modem and router. By 10pm it spiked to 1026/1024 available and got the 100% notification. 

This has to be rigged on their end. It took my last courtesy month away from me when I was trying to prevent it from happening, but it did it on it's own. Something doesn't sound right here and it feels like bank fees all over again being injected to take advantage of customers that don't know any better. There is no possible way 40 gigs of data was transmitted between the time I unplugged to the point I got the notification. This is very suspisious.

Regular Visitor

ComcastTeds

Official Employee

Re: Internet usage

Apologies all for the issue and the experience that many have described above. Thanks for posting many details here, that was very helpful in having our teams research this issue.

While updating our data usage meter to a new system, a software error occurred resulting in a small number of our customers being billed incorrectly.

We're very sorry for inconveniencing our customers and here's what we're doing to address it: We fixed the technical issue, we're proactively crediting the accounts affected, and we're giving those customers an additional $50 credit to make it right.

Impacted customers have been identified.  We are working to identify customers that may have purchased xFi or unlimited data as a direct result of this error.  

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Regular Contributor

If you're just using the standard Comcast meter, it says it may not include data in the last 24 hours, so when you unplug for a few hours, you don't really know which (if any) data is from those few hours and which is from the 24 hours that preceded that.

Official Employee

@Tester5 wrote:
My September usage about 1800gb has been removed and October counter was reset and now seems to be reading correctly. However, I haven't received any credit and haven't received my courtesy month back yet. I'm still hoping and waiting that Comcast is still working on fixing things for those of us that had this problem.

Apologies. I do see a credit placed on your account for this in October. Thanks for your patience. It will appear on your next printed statement and you can view the credit  online via My Account.      

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

@ZackMarsh87 wrote:

Last night was the last date of the billing cycle. I had checked my app and it said it was 990gb used. I had all of my devices in my house unplugged and even unplugged my modem and router. By 10pm it spiked to 1026/1024 available and got the 100% notification. 

This has to be rigged on their end. It took my last courtesy month away from me when I was trying to prevent it from happening, but it did it on it's own. Something doesn't sound right here and it feels like bank fees all over again being injected to take advantage of customers that don't know any better. There is no possible way 40 gigs of data was transmitted between the time I unplugged to the point I got the notification. This is very suspisious.

Apologies for the issue and the experience that you described. I have escalated your specific issue to a few colleagues who will review and get back to you.  As a matter of good faith, I have applied a credit to your account. You will see that credit on your next printed statement and this also can be seen tomorrow via My Account online. Thanks for your patience.     

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

@cbell2112 wrote:

I've called in twice and was transferred to the security team in the Philippines.  Really just trying to get an explanation of what is using what but could get no solid answers.  They reset my September usage which was about 530 GB.   I wanted to reset October because they claim I used 120 GBs on Oct 5 which I don't think is possible. 

The problem is you can't really tell what is going on because they say the data can have up to a 24 hour delay. 

Just got dinged for 12 GBs between 5 PM and 10:20 PM.  Daughter streamed 2 1 hour shows on Netflix at medium quality.  That is it.  

Apologies for the issue and the experience.  I do see a credit recently placed on your account for this. Thanks for your patience. It will appear on your next printed statement and you can view the credit online via My Account. 

Official Employee

@OZ_hamster wrote:

@johnn2 wrote:

Thank for your comments...guess we'll just wait and see.  The CC data-counter is registering exactly  30 GB/day, regardless of how much or how little we stream, e.g. 210GB @ day 7, 300GB at day 10, 330GB @ day 11, etc.  So at this rate we'll have clocked 930GB for the month of October, just below the 1024GB overage number...what a s**tshow.

Apologies for the issue and the experience. I do see a credit recently placed on your account for this. Thanks for your patience. It will appear on your next printed statement and you can view the credit online via My Account.

Frequent Visitor

Showed 962gb for month of October in terms of data usage,   don't believe streamed that much this month as far as i know

Son tends to watch Xfinity On Demand which shouldn't affect the cap,  a little youtube here and there,  Myself a little Youtube, email checking, and such,    PC's have been scanned by my son with Avast Free Antivirus,  Malwarebytes Free as well, and emisoft emergency kit, and no infections found at all.     

Son even went as far as clean install his system as he was using Windows Defender in September, and decided to make sure his system was really clean,  a little bit of data used then, probably 80gbs-100 something gigabyte for all his games, and PC updates and such.      

Am using our own netgear c7100v modem

Contributor

Have patience...if you didn't get billed for over-usage, Comcast eventually figured it out, and throttled back your "usage-ometer.".  We finished the month just over 500GB, about 40% above historical averages, and the extraordinary daily runup ended in mid-October, after posting here on the Forum.  Surprisingly enough, they "heard the outcry", and I'm gratified to see that necessary corrections made...who knew?

Contributor

And, I see that my account has been "unbanned", after - admittedly - being a bit strong in my comments on data-usage counters, and getting booted off the forum.  Honestly, if CC HQ didn't see that a very large contingency of users are getting huge hits on daily streaming usages over and beyond their  normal or historical usage rates UNTIL people complained, the Co. should have been   completely more pro-active in recognizing that there IS a  problem with counter software, and sending out heads-up to the customer base, right?  Oh, well, problem solved, and I'm happy.

Contributor

johnn2...hope CC has given you satisfaction...thanks for the thumbs-up...we's all into this stuff together, and we all gotta fight the good fight...Venceremos!

New Poster

I continue to have this exact problem despite two calls into Xfinity customer service and tickets supposedly being created. How do I have someone like the employee posting on this thread look into this? I'm headed towards burning a second courtesy month.

Contributor

Keep banging away on this forum...Comcast employees pick up on customer problems, especially this one, which has drawn boatloads of attention...check daily your counter nos., and you should see corrected totals in time.

New Poster

My data usage for this month and last month is through the roof. Even if I turn everything off unplug it And unplug the router it still goes Up.I called Comcast and they can't help
me, so I went into the local store. He said it was my phone and removed some apps. Overnight it went up 32gb. Thats 4 or 5 days use for me. I dont know what to do.
Regular Contributor

I'm guessing the person in the store said it was the phone because you had the phone with you.  It's hard for anyone to debug another person's home network since they have no idea what's on it let alone can see things and adjust things.  So, if part of your home network happens to be in your pocket - hey let's adjust that!

Of course, that doesn't mean he couldn't be right!  Due to the slowness of the Comcast meter, any improvement may take longer than "overnight" to become apparent.

New Poster

My data is still going up like crazy. I live alone , no hd, just watch you tube and some prime. How could i b using 50gb a day. I went to the xfinity store again today, but no help.
Regular Visitor

Comcast is aware of the issue.

ComcastTeds

Official Employee

Apologies all for the issue and the experience that many have described above. Thanks for posting many details here, that was very helpful in having our teams research this issue.

While updating our data usage meter to a new system, a software error occurred resulting in a small number of our customers being billed incorrectly.

We're very sorry for inconveniencing our customers and here's what we're doing to address it: We fixed the technical issue, we're proactively crediting the accounts affected, and we're giving those customers an additional $50 credit to make it right.

Impacted customers have been identified.  We are working to identify customers that may have purchased xFi or unlimited data as a direct result of this error.  

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Official Employee

@dianeT734 wrote:

Showed 962gb for month of October in terms of data usage,   don't believe streamed that much this month as far as i know

Son tends to watch Xfinity On Demand which shouldn't affect the cap,  a little youtube here and there,  Myself a little Youtube, email checking, and such,    PC's have been scanned by my son with Avast Free Antivirus,  Malwarebytes Free as well, and emisoft emergency kit, and no infections found at all.     

Son even went as far as clean install his system as he was using Windows Defender in September, and decided to make sure his system was really clean,  a little bit of data used then, probably 80gbs-100 something gigabyte for all his games, and PC updates and such.      

Am using our own netgear c7100v modem

Apologies for the issue and the experience that you described above. I have asked a colleague to review your account and contact you directly for any next steps. Thanks for your patience. 

Official Employee

@OZ_hamster wrote:

And, I see that my account has been "unbanned", after - admittedly - being a bit strong in my comments on data-usage counters, and getting booted off the forum.  Honestly, if CC HQ didn't see that a very large contingency of users are getting huge hits on daily streaming usages over and beyond their  normal or historical usage rates UNTIL people complained, the Co. should have been   completely more pro-active in recognizing that there IS a  problem with counter software, and sending out heads-up to the customer base, right?  Oh, well, problem solved, and I'm happy.

Apologies. For context, this issue impacted about  0.008% of our high speed data customers. Thanks for your patience while the teams investigated and resolved the issue.    

Official Employee

@eerie wrote:

I continue to have this exact problem despite two calls into Xfinity customer service and tickets supposedly being created. How do I have someone like the employee posting on this thread look into this? I'm headed towards burning a second courtesy month.

Apologies for the issue and the experience. I do see a credit recently placed on your account for this. Thanks for your patience. It will appear on your next printed statement and you can view the credit online via My Account. 

I have also asked a colleague to review your account and contact you directly for any next steps. Thanks for your patience. 

Official Employee

@Goldenrose wrote:
My data is still going up like crazy. I live alone , no hd, just watch you tube and some prime. How could i b using 50gb a day. I went to the xfinity store again today, but no help.

I have also asked a colleague to review your account and contact you directly for any next steps. Thanks for your patience.

New Poster

My data also spiked in the wake of being told my speed would be increasing. As part of this nonsense, Comcast somehow managed to remove the settings in my account that I had set to give me 50, 60, 70, 80, and 90 percent warnings. All I got was a 90 percent warning, and a violation of the cap a few days later.

I started monitoring my traffic from the router (every single thing in my home that connects does so through the router) and I am nowhere near the usage Comcast claims. 

Curiously, all past data usage is wiped from my record.

This is so very clearly a failure on Comcast's part that I barely know what to say. I want my overage month restored, and I want the data I actually use to be counted. It's bad enough that we have this data cap to begin with, but when Comcast can move in behind it, <Edited>

You have the chance to address it. Please do so.

Regular Visitor

I was also affected by this problem and had my September and October data usage wiped, as well as receiving a refund of my courtesy months. A colleague of yours posted on these forums that those affected would receive a $50 credit on their account; however, with my most recent billing statement it doesn't seem to be on there. Will it be on next month's billing statement?

New Poster

Data is still out of control. I keep everything off all day and only stream at night. Now i use my phone and cast to tv since i can change settings on amazon to low resolution. Didn't help much. I used to watch you tube all day and only use 10gb. What happened. Now its 2 or 3 gb an hour. Impossible.
Official Employee

@jrharrigan wrote:

My data also spiked in the wake of being told my speed would be increasing. As part of this nonsense, Comcast somehow managed to remove the settings in my account that I had set to give me 50, 60, 70, 80, and 90 percent warnings. All I got was a 90 percent warning, and a violation of the cap a few days later.

I started monitoring my traffic from the router (every single thing in my home that connects does so through the router) and I am nowhere near the usage Comcast claims. 

Curiously, all past data usage is wiped from my record.

This is so very clearly a failure on Comcast's part that I barely know what to say. I want my overage month restored, and I want the data I actually use to be counted. It's bad enough that we have this data cap to begin with, but when Comcast can move in behind it, <Edited>

You have the chance to address it. Please do so.

Official Employee

@RSucher wrote:

I was also affected by this problem and had my September and October data usage wiped, as well as receiving a refund of my courtesy months. A colleague of yours posted on these forums that those affected would receive a $50 credit on their account; however, with my most recent billing statement it doesn't seem to be on there. Will it be on next month's billing statement?

Frequent Visitor

Our family is having this same issue.  We went from averaging 750GB of usage from May through August to just over 1 GB in October and we are already up to 935 GB through the first 13 days of November.  I honestly have no idea how we were even at 750GB prior to September given the Comcast definitions of how much usage is necessary to approach the 1 GB limit (21 hours of streaming TV a day, 12,000 hours of online gaming, etc) as we are nowhere near those usage numbers.  

There is clearly something wrong if a family that doesn't download movies and rarely does online gaming will be pushing 2 GB of data this month!

I tried calling the help line and grew tired of waiting on hold and based upon the experiences of others, those reps have not been helpful at all.

Hoping to receive the same level of service and quick responses that other folks have received in this forum.  Thank you.

Frequent Visitor

@tabamccoy wrote:

Our family is having this same issue.  We went from averaging 750GB of usage from May through August to just over 1 GB in October and we are already up to 935 GB through the first 13 days of November.  I honestly have no idea how we were even at 750GB prior to September given the Comcast definitions of how much usage is necessary to approach the 1 GB limit (21 hours of streaming TV a day, 12,000 hours of online gaming, etc) as we are nowhere near those usage numbers.  

There is clearly something wrong if a family that doesn't download movies and rarely does online gaming will be pushing 2 GB of data this month!

I tried calling the help line and grew tired of waiting on hold and based upon the experiences of others, those reps have not been helpful at all.

Hoping to receive the same level of service and quick responses that other folks have received in this forum.  Thank you.

Obviously meant to say 1 terabyte and 2 terabyes above where I said 1 GB and 2 GB.  Haven't received a reply yet but in the last 24 hours we've apparently used 77 GB more of date despite most of the family being gone all day.  Something is not right!  If I don't get answers, it will be back to another provided for me.

Official Employee

@tabamccoy wrote:

Apologies for the issue and the experience. I do see a credit recently placed on your account for this.  It will appear on your next printed statement and you can view the credit online via My Account.

Frequent Visitor

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@tabamccoy wrote:

Apologies for the issue and the experience. I do see a credit recently placed on your account for this.  It will appear on your next printed statement and you can view the credit online via My Account.

Thank you so much for your quick response.  I do see the credit now but the bigger issue is the data usage as this has to be an error.  Hoping the account review will help out with this and also restore our 2 overage courtesy months.  Thanks again.

Contributor

After all my whining here on this Forum topic thread, Comcast did in fact credit us $50 on our last bill, so "credit where credit is due" sort of thing.  But, I hope we never see THAT issue again, because it took loads of troubleshooting time on our home LAN before we figured out it was down to Comcast's  responsibility for abnormal data run-up.

New Poster

I am having the same problem with incorrect data usage reports.  Comcast is claiming that I used 70 percent on my 1024GB data allowance on November 12, an average daily rate of almost 60GB!  This is absurd since I am the only person at home the whole day (my two sons are at school and my wife works) and I do not use the internet for anything other than reading news on websites.  And then I received an advisory on November 15 that I had used 80 percent of my allowance, followed by another advisory on November 17 that I had used 90 percent of my allowance.  50GB per day of data usage?  I'm guessing that such a level of usage could only be reached by several people spending 10 plus hours per day of HD streaming.

And although I didn't think it through until I encountered this thread, Comcast also claimed that my October data usage went from 90 percent to 100 percent in only two days (from Monday to Wednesday), another alleged usage of 51GB per day.

Regular Contributor

There is no logical reason for Comcast to even have a data cap in this day and age. This is a pure cash grab. Comcast should do away with the 1TB cap and allow unrestricted use of the internet service that we pay for with our own equipment. The gigabit internet is of no use to me if I hit the 1TB wall by the 2nd week of the month. Unlimited data should be available to all speed tiers at no charge.
Contributor

@TurnerBrewer wrote:
There is no logical reason for Comcast to even have a data cap in this day and age. This is a pure cash grab. Comcast should do away with the 1TB cap and allow unrestricted use of the internet service that we pay for with our own equipment. The gigabit internet is of no use to me if I hit the 1TB wall by the 2nd week of the month. Unlimited data should be available to all speed tiers at no charge.

Amen, bro...spot-on critique.  Strictly business decision to forestall "cord-cutting" by limiting Internet streaming as a viable alternative to cable programming.  But, then again, pay the Company a n extra $50/mo. and get unlimited streaming...either way, they are going to win, in an uncompetitive environment.

Regular Contributor

@TurnerBrewer wrote:
There is no logical reason for Comcast to even have a data cap in this day and age. This is a pure cash grab.

Don't you see that you are contradicting yourself there?

New Poster

Internet Data Use

I've spent most of the day on the phone trying to figure out how could I have used close to 900Gb of data in "one" day (November 15).

After doing some research online I've noticed that I am not the only person suffering with such discrepancy. 

Can anyone explain how the data is counted? I am planning to run my own Firewall to make sure I can compare numbers. 

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Internet Data Use

@vinny21 wrote:

I've spent most of the day on the phone trying to figure out how could I have used close to 900Gb of data in "one" day (November 15).

After doing some research online I've noticed that I am not the only person suffering with such discrepancy. 

Can anyone explain how the data is counted? I am planning to run my own Firewall to make sure I can compare numbers. 

I guess you might call it a glitch:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/10/comcast-incorrectly-charged-2000-customers-fo...

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!